Thread: Wiring into door is fatigued: power locks & power windows work sometimes

Default Wiring into door is fatigued: power locks & power windows work sometimes

My XJ, like many of yours, has been used and used hard. I'm now having issues with fatigued wires going from under my dash / under the hood into the driver side door. Currently the power locks do not work (they were off and on for a while and now have been off for about a year) and now the power windows are starting to go as well. The power window issue can be solved by josteling the wire pack going into the door but I do not feel like doing that every time I need to put down the windows.

I need to get in there and fix the fatigued wires. Has anyone else done this? Any advice on how to fix this? I have a power tester but I think I'll be able to see the issue wires easily enough. I've never taken the door apart so any quick tips or words of caution here would be useful as well. Thanks!

Default Re: Wiring into door is fatigued: power locks & power windows work sometimes

There is a plug in the kick panel by the door. Very handy. Access it and then take the panel off the door. However I think you also have some switch issues too. The door locks and power windows use the same power source and wire.
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Built 4L60E with manual lockout
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
    7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers
    And a bunch of other stuff

Default Re: Wiring into door is fatigued: power locks & power windows work sometimes

Is the plug to detach the wiring of the door? If I was removing the door completely? Because that would make this wire hunt a million times simpler.

Yes, the plug is to detach the door wiring
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Built 4L60E with manual lockout
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
    7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers
    And a bunch of other stuff

The switch module on the drivers door is a known problem and results in same symptoms as you indicated. The connections inside the switch, after years of use and stress on connector, result in broken solder connections within the switch. A new switch can be had for about 70.