Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Chats

Default Computer for $35

[ame]http://youtu.be/6BbufUp_HNs[/ame]

Chats

Default Re: Computer for $35

The computer geek in me just got a bit of a chubby. First thing that came to mind was car pc. I've been wanting to build one for years now but just couldn't justify the expense of a small form factor board, switching power supply, etc. While OS boot times can certainly be brought down to about the same level using stripped down XP, this looks even better. Combining this board with a 7" touchscreen with HDMI input could provide a car pc within the reach of the average working schmuck. Very cool! I wonder how expandable it is as far as USB and the compatibility with other peripherals such as hubs, dvd drives, gps, wireless, etc. I look forward to seeing what the community does with it.

Edit: Found their site @ raspberrypi.org Looks like the USB is expandable and supports pretty much any hardware that the Debian OS supports. Lots of folks already using them as media centers.
    Last edited by bluedragon436; 07-01-2012 at 11:31 PM. Reason: Inserted link & corrected the website to raspberrypi.org instead of rasperrypi.org like it was

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by olds-cool View Post
    The computer geek in me just got a bit of a chubby. First thing that came to mind was car pc. I've been wanting to build one for years now but just couldn't justify the expense of a small form factor board, switching power supply, etc. While OS boot times can certainly be brought down to about the same level using stripped down XP, this looks even better. Combining this board with a 7" touchscreen with HDMI input could provide a car pc within the reach of the average working schmuck. Very cool! I wonder how expandable it is as far as USB and the compatibility with other peripherals such as hubs, dvd drives, gps, wireless, etc. I look forward to seeing what the community does with it.

Edit: Found their site @ rasperrypi.org Looks like the USB is expandable and supports pretty much any hardware that the Debian OS supports. Lots of folks already using them as media centers.
    Yep, I was thinking of an on board OBDII system. Monitor and record.

Chats

That is awesome! I can just imagine the possibilities!
    Last edited by Brasscatz; 06-27-2012 at 06:35 PM.

KH96XJ is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen
    Chats

Interesting. I've sent the interested notification on the website. I'll spring for 35 to test one out. If they are stable and operate reliably I can see potential use in my line of work as an e-mail station/cyber cafe. I wouldn't want to use them for anything past that on a business level.
    I aspire to be the man my dogs think I am.

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by KH96XJ View Post
    Interesting. I've sent the interested notification on the website. I'll spring for 35 to test one out. If they are stable and operate reliably I can see potential use in my line of work as an e-mail station/cyber cafe. I wouldn't want to use them for anything past that on a business level.
    I hear ya, still this is a bit impressive.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_mDuJuvZjI"]Raspberry Pi - Quake 3 demo - YouTube[/ame]

KH96XJ is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen
    Chats

Quote Originally Posted by Mudderoy View Post
    I hear ya, still this is a bit impressive.
    Unfortunately things have to be kept simple for clients so sticking to things they already know is the main reason I couldn't see it being used for anything outside an e-mail station/cyber cafe in a business. I haven't run into many clients in the past 10 years at this job who venture outside windows/mac OS. Having to deal with clients who have problems installing a printer and refuse to learn even though they have to do it every other week at the different sites they go to throughout the year then getting them to use something like this would cause more problems than it's worth.
    I aspire to be the man my dogs think I am.

Chats

This thing seems like a really cool idea to play around with for different applications at home or in the car.. Might play around with one to see about doing the CarPC as I have always wanted to do one, but the price and the room needed for the install of such setup was always a limiting factor for me..
    FORMER GREEN XJ CLUB MEMBER
    IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM!!
    DOING SOMETHING JUST BECAUSE YOUR BUDDY DOES IT THAT WAY MAKES AS MUCH SENSE AS SHARING TOOTHBRUSHES

Chats

TODAY is the last day to register if you want one from the latest batch!

Chats

The site now says you will be able to order without registration after july 5

Chats

The site now says you will be able to order without registration after july 5
    Yep, I suspect it will be first come first serve on the 5th.

Chats

Well, checked today and since I didn't register my interest, I'll have to wait even longer. I guess they are letting those who registered have first cracks at ordering. Here I thought those folks were already on the list and general public ordering was starting today. Guess not. Farnell shows a 64 day lead time but maybe they haven't updated the site yet.

Chats

Well, checked today and since I didn't register my interest, I'll have to wait even longer. I guess they are letting those who registered have first cracks at ordering. Here I thought those folks were already on the list and general public ordering was starting today. Guess not. Farnell shows a 64 day lead time but maybe they haven't updated the site yet.
    Yeah I don't think they made it very clear. The way I read it they were going to start taking orders today, and since I registered I was digging around to see if I had received an invitation. I hadn't, or I deleted it.

So today about 10 AM I received an e-mail with a link to order. I ordered one with a case, about 41 + shipping. They said it was a 12 week wait on receiving it.

Good thing it's cheap and I don't have any hot plans for it. Just checking it out really.

Chats

Cool. When you get it, let me know what you think. By that time, maybe the mad rush will have calmed down and I can get my own.

Chats

Hello Tony,
    Thank you for your recent Raspberry Pi order.

We know you've been waiting patiently to get your hands on your Raspberry Pi. They are being manufactured as quickly as possible, but the demand is huge, so the estimated delivery is about 12 weeks from when you placed your order.

We've received a lot of questions about this and wanted to make sure you know what to expect. Please note that we won't charge your card until the order has shipped, at which time it will be processed and you will receive a shipment notification.

If you have any questions or need assistance, please give us a call at (866) 433-5722.

Thank you!
    Allied Electronics

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast