Thread: How to tint your windows.

Default Re: re tinting windows

i have tinted windows for a long time, the way i have always done it is first clean the crap out of the inside and outside of your windows with windex and a non lint producing towel preferibly a microfiber one, you clean the outside to because when you cut it out you will lay it on the outside window and dirt will cling to it .
    1.dont use normal soap and water the degreasers in the soap break down the glue on the tint, use a no tear baby shampoo it has no alcohol base to it to break it down
    2.spray the outside of the window to be tinted with the shampoo water and lay the tint with the sticky side out with the film still on it,
    3. trim about 1 inch all the way around the trim.
    4. spray the inside of the window with the shampoo water.
    5. peal off the film and spray down with shampoo water.
    6. VERY CAREFULLY pull the tint off the outside and place on the inside of the window.
    7. spray the non-sticky side of the tint now for some lubrication.
    8. starting in the center use a smooth card or squeege smooth out all water from under the tint.
    9. when you get to the side use the card or squeege and push into the window seem (not real far just enough so you dont see the seem) and take a new clean razor blade and side it up the seem and remove excess. carefully smooth edges out and all water from the side.
    10. do that all the way around the window except for the top (i am talking about roll up windows) back windows you can trim to fit on the outside and just squeegee out on the inside.
    11. now that all the other sides are done you need to do the top. roll down the window about 3 inches, hold another new razor blade at a 45 degree andgle and slowly scrape it against the top of the window in a long stroking sawing motion.
    12. now that all the window is trimmed re spray the entire window and re squeegee and get all the water out.
    13. ROLL UP THE WINDOW AND DO NOT OPEN FOR 2 DAYS, THAT IS A BIG THING. I HAVE SEEN MORE TINT JOBS SCREWED UP BY PEOPLE OPENING AND SHUTTING WINDOWS WHEN THE TINT HAS NOT SET. LET IT DRY DONT RUSH IT.
    14. USE WINDOWS AS NORMAL AND CLEAN NORMALLY AFTER THEY HAVE DRIED.

If anyone has any further questions about tinting or car audio hit me up i ran a stereo store for alot of years and have done alot.

Have fun with it and dont get to upset i screwed up alot of windows before i got good at it.
    1998 Jeep Cherokee 4DR :231 TC Coming Soon: 4.5" Lift 31x10.50 tires, SYE.
    1979 Jeep CJ5 4" Lift 33x12.50 Tires

Default Re: How to tint your windows.

Learned a couple of tricks here, thanks! Do you have one on tint removal?
    Justin<>< Mal. 3:6
    1992 XJ 4d
    2000 WJ - gone
    2000 Chrysler 300m - Spousal transportation device.