Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2000 xj

Chats

Default 2000 xj

Hadn't put a build thread up here on my Jeep, so I thought I'd share a little bit about it.

This is my 2nd XJ. I sold the first one cause I was an idiot and didn't know what I was giving up. It was a 2wd but I had a lot of fun getting it stuck a lot!

If you're curious...
    -3" BDS kit, soft 8's, 31x10.5 BFGs and Custom 4x4 Fab rear bumper and carrier.

I had to jump back into the XJ world... so I picked up this 2000 with 88k in July 2011.

It was missing a couple creature comforts that I wanted since this is my only vehicle and therefore my daily driver.

- upgraded to IPF housings, H4 bulbs and harness
    - installed the OEM cruise control kit
    - removed the nasty, faded trim just to treat my eyes better
    BEFORE

AFTER

Then, by October of 2011, I was itching to get it up in the air like it should be. Unlike the first jeep, where i paid for my suspension like 3 times, this XJ was getting it done right the first time.

So I went to a shop over in Raleigh, NC called East Coast Gear Supply and had them install a 6.5" Clayton long arm kit with Bilstein shocks and Advanced Adapters SYE. I had picked up a set of 5 Moabs from a local forum guy for 250 bucks and put on 285/75/16 BFG Rugged Terrains. This was the result...

I then decided that I wanted to protect my rig a little bit, and after doing a some research here on XJtalk.com, I came across Detours and decided that would be next, so I called Mark and got a set of stiffy/sliders and tailbone on order.

The sliders came in first so they got a couple coats of bedliner and they were installed!

and then shortly after that, the Tailbone came in! I was really excited to not have to use up all of my cargo space with a spare! It was pretty easy to install, but to get clearances right, it required a bit of finessing but it's GUD TIGO! Also installed a Reese hitch at the same time.

and the finished product!

There will definitely be more upgrades in the future, but I haven't decided on which way I'm going to go. When I do, I'll be sure to post with more pictures!
    2000 XJ Build Thread
    Clayton 6.5" LA / 33x10.50 BFG ATs / AA SYE / H4 upgrade / D30 & C8.25 w 3.55
    Dad's 1999 XJ daily driver
    Stock/Stock/Stock/Stock/Stock

cantab27 is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen
    Chats

Default Re: 2000 xj

nice mate, shes looking good
    keeping it red........

I DRIVE A BARBIE JEEP

Quote Originally Posted by XJ4IV
    .... lol Im a jerk tonight!
    Originally Posted by bigjim350 View Post
    Think I would go that crazy too if my Jeep turned white

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGg0C...eature=related

Chats

Getting that 32" spare tire out of the cargo area was one of the best feelings!

Chats

Looks great!!!!

Chats

looking good i have a 2000xk also and picked up backbone,tailbone and slider all from detours and been looking at clatons al kit how do you like them so far?

Chats

I have been really pleased with both the Detours products as well as the Clayton lift kit. Probably the sliders are the most impressive though, they are so incredibly beefy and the way it mounts is brilliant. Can't say enough good things about them.

The only thing I'm not wild about with the Tailbone is where the tire is located. I wish it could be a center mount, but that's just a personal preference. It's fit, finish, and accessibility are great.

As far as the lift, it's been given mostly street duty as of late so I haven't tested it out now that the coils and leafs have settled.
    2000 XJ Build Thread

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by Sneedle Vision View Post
    I have been really pleased with both the Detours products as well as the Clayton lift kit. Probably the sliders are the most impressive though, they are so incredibly beefy and the way it mounts is brilliant. Can't say enough good things about them.

The only thing I'm not wild about with the Tailbone is where the tire is located. I wish it could be a center mount, but that's just a personal preference. It's fit, finish, and accessibility are great.

As far as the lift, it's been given mostly street duty as of late so I haven't tested it out now that the coils and leafs have settled.
    Well it is nice to be able to see out of 1/2 of the back window. ;o)

Chats

i'm waiting for my leafspring sliders to come in and then I will inslalltailbone recever and the slider all the same time.if the slider work like they are suppost
    the spring will be next.

Chats

Someone on another forum asked what the view out my rear window is with the tire swing on, so I thought I'd share that here as well....P.S. please excuse the cell phone picture quality and the fact that I'm backed up against the garage door.

Last edited by Sneedle Vision; 03-21-2012 at 05:34 PM.
    2000 XJ Build Thread

Chats

how is it looking though you mirror and what size tire do you have on it?

Chats

Went and got the oil changed at the local dealer cause they were having a special. We knew there was an oil leak somewhere, so I thought I could get them to take a look. They came back with a bill of 1700 to change out 3 gaskets and replace a water pump! HAHA

So the engine got hosed down and we determined that it was just leaking from the valve cover. So that was today's project.

Took off the cover, scraped down the mating surfaces, and installed the new gasket! I had never done this before, so I was pretty pumped about getting it all knocked out! Much better to spend 35 and use some elbow grease than 1700!
    2000 XJ Build Thread

Chats

Gotta love stealerships!!! They love getting all they can out of you. I once worked for a shop that did that. The owner would come up to me during an oil change and tell me to sell them an air filter... I'd say they didn't need it. He said... so?
    So I would take the air filter inside and show the customer and say... "here's your air filter (knock it out a bit on my boot) It's good for another 10,000 miles!"
    I'd rather them come back for years to come than get them for all the money I can in one trip. Better business that way.

Chats

I finally got around to fixing two things on the Jeep today that had been bugging me for a while. My windows were all jacked up!

1st) The driver's window motor would not stop running at full up or down, so you would hear "druhdruhdruhdruhdruhdruh" if you held the switch too long or if you hit the auto button and didn't stop the window yourself.

2nd) The second thing was that none of my other windows would work at their appropriate switches. They would only work from the driver's panel.

The first problem was fixed by pulling the door apart and taking out the window regulator. Wasn't really all that difficult, followed these instructions and got it all taken apart. I flipped the cable and reinstalled everything and it worked like a champ! If you checked the cable at full up and full down, you could see where the cable had been worn down so the motor wouldn't catch the edges.

The second problem was fixed by using a wiretap to bypass the window lock switch. I tore off the kickpanel, located the connector with the black, yellow and tan wires. I connected the yellow and tan wires with a wiretap and all the windows worked! At their appropriate switches!

As Ice Cube said, "Today was a good day."
    2000 XJ Build Thread

Chats

I got tired of the crappy sound that my stock speakers were throwing out so I decided to make a change.

I didn't want to spend a ton, so I just changed out the front door speakers. Went to Amazon and picked up a pair of Polk Audio DB651s 6.5" speakers. Had to get the shallow mount kind so they would fit. Also grabbed a set of speaker quick connects [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002BEQWK/ref=oh_o02_s00_i01_details"]Amazon.com: Metra 72-6512 2 Pin Rectangular Speaker Connector for Select Chrysler Vehicles: Car Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/212laqHvcSL.@@AMEPARAM@@212laqHvcSL[/ame] because I didn't want to run all new wiring since I still have the stock headunit.

All it took was removing the door panels, mount the speakers using 2 self tapping screws, hook up the connections, and button the door back up!

And as for the speakers, they are a huge upgrade over stock. Sound is no longer muffled and it has a clean, crisp sound. But it's not overpowering or anything. Totally worth the .
    2000 XJ Build Thread

Chats

Yeah, 6.6" is a good size for the doors
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Built 4L60E with manual lockout
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
    7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms