PDA

View Full Version : Password Change

Mudderoy
02-27-2012, 09:51 AM
For security reasons I didn't want to post a general message about password changes.

Yes, you will need to change your password. This is due to site recently being attacked.

Please consider setting a password that is more complex than say a number, or the word "password". Oh and I highly recommend never having the password on any forum being the same password you use for your credit cards, bank accounts, etc...

xjmarc
02-27-2012, 08:34 PM
How often are going to have to come up with a new one?

Mudderoy
02-28-2012, 03:49 AM
How often are going to have to come up with a new one?

Password change was off in the past. It was turned on so you'd have to change your current password. We can turn it back off after everyone has had time to change, or we can set it for a renewal period.

Back off, or renew? How often? 365 days?

4.3LXJ
02-28-2012, 10:18 AM
Well, I changed mine and now it won't remember me. If I close the screen or just leave it without any activity for a little while, say 15 minutes it requires me to log in again.

bluedragon436
02-28-2012, 10:24 AM
I would say turn it back off... Cause I know folks like me, I change mine every once in a while, but I like to change all of my passwords at the same time, so I can remember them all, and not get them mixed up as I got to different sites, systems,computers, etc...

Mudderoy
02-28-2012, 11:07 AM
Well, I changed mine and now it won't remember me. If I close the screen or just leave it without any activity for a little while, say 15 minutes it requires me to log in again.

Make sure you are going to www.xjtalk.com and not xjtalk.com

prerunner1982
03-01-2012, 09:56 AM
None of the other forums I am on require a renewal, however I understand it as I have to renew MANY passwords at work often. As long as it is not required every 60-90 days as most of the ones I deal with are then I am cool with it. 180 or 365.... would it make everyone change it on the same day like what it just did or if you went every 365 could you make it due on their anniversary date? Just curious..

Mudderoy
03-01-2012, 10:38 AM
None of the other forums I am on require a renewal, however I understand it as I have to renew MANY passwords at work often. As long as it is not required every 60-90 days as most of the ones I deal with are then I am cool with it. 180 or 365.... would it make everyone change it on the same day like what it just did or if you went every 365 could you make it due on their anniversary date? Just curious..

I'm leaning toward turning the renewal off once most everyone has had a chance to change their password. For the reasons you just stated. It really is more for the member's protection that the sites.

If we were to do required password changes I think 365 days would be better. Amazing how fast a year goes by when it is something we don't like, well April 15th has taught us that.

It is the number of days from the last password change. So the 365 is potentially different for everyone.