PDA

View Full Version : New freeze plug, brand new big problem

88AMCOMANCHE
02-17-2012, 10:12 PM
Will make this quik as I can .....put in new freezeplug today,filled up reserviour tank full & started it up, No leaks, but Smoking like crazy.....Looked inside & the temp gauge crawled up to 250 & I shut it down!
Felt all the hoses & they werent even hot. a few felt empty even. Yet reservious tank was gurgling almost boiling .....Its never overheated before! Its never smoked before! why would putting a new freezeplug in cause all this????? any ideas? Im lost. frusterated. hoping someone has an idea what could cause this. Its my only vehicle.
Its a Renix 4.0 5 speed ty in advance

bigjim350
02-17-2012, 10:15 PM
Sounds like you have a big air bubble in the system, which wont let the coolant circulat right. Bleed the air out of the system.

88AMCOMANCHE
02-17-2012, 10:18 PM
My water reserviour tank is the Highest point under the hood though .......wouldnt that Burp the system on its own?

88AMCOMANCHE
02-17-2012, 10:24 PM
My water reserviour tank is the Highest point under the hood though .......wouldnt that Burp the system on its own?

Sounds like you have a big air bubble in the system, which wont let the coolant circulat right. Bleed the air out of the system.

bigjim350
02-17-2012, 10:38 PM
Well mine is a 92 so i have the newer system. But when im refilling the rad i squeeze the upper rad hose while filling it up to burp all the air out of it. Usually takes a while.

88AMCOMANCHE
02-18-2012, 12:03 AM
Well mine is a 92 so i have the newer system. But when im refilling the rad i squeeze the upper rad hose while filling it up to burp all the air out of it. Usually takes a while.

Wish mine were a 92 , Yeh my system is the whacky setup. will try & figure out why it started smoking bad all of a sudden tomorrow.......it may be that TPS wire or whatever its called, that run down sorta close to the ehaust pipe & into the side of teh transmission........periodically that thing can lose connection & itr wont start,like once every 6 monts so i have to jiggle it,although doubt that would cause the smoking all of a sudden.

bigjim350
02-18-2012, 12:05 AM
What color is the smoke? blue, black or white?
Blue=burning oil
Black=unburnt fuel (running too rich)
White=burning water (blown head gasket)

4.3LXJ
02-18-2012, 10:13 AM
A good trick for the renix is to remove the thermostat and drill a very small hole, 1/16" or so in the top of the thermostat. Put it back with the hole on the top. This lets the air escape.

jvanhare
02-18-2012, 09:08 PM
Ever read this?
http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/Cooling/BurpAirMod.htm