PDA

View Full Version : Old School Non-Tech........

DETOURS
02-07-2012, 06:30 PM
How many of you can..........
Go outside, sit down, and hear silence? :rolleyes:

Prior to moving here, I've only heard it once prior in the dead of winter in Northern Maine.

Since moving here, I get to enjoy it often and if I hear a dog bark in the distance..........it dosent count.....

Silence.............it's crazy! ;)

About as Box of Cherries non tech, back to basics as it gets....:smiley-gen123:

XJ Wheeler
02-07-2012, 07:41 PM
Silence scares me, literally. I live by several refineries and if its silent something has gone wrong.

DETOURS
02-07-2012, 07:58 PM
Silence scares me, literally. I live by several refineries and if its silent something has gone wrong.

Not surprised, it's a rare thing now a days...........;)

Carves
02-07-2012, 08:59 PM
Currently living in town doing up a little place ....

... and compared to a few squarking birds in trees out on the property ....

The roaring trucks,
Idiot doof doof ricer drivers,
Howling and yelping mongrels,
Fighting cats, .... and,
The constant, loud drunken parties every night of the week - that the bludgers on welfare can have - coz they dont work .......

makes me feel real sorry for whoever buys this place when its finished .... :D:D

4.3LXJ
02-07-2012, 09:21 PM
I know what you mean Mark, it is quiet here to. I love it.

cantab27
02-07-2012, 09:28 PM
can hear the odd bird , live next to a big river , tis nice and quite out here.............................................. ..........

and when ya cant hear the birds , usually the ground starts to rock and roll.....

4.3LXJ
02-07-2012, 09:36 PM
We have a pair of love doves that nest in our tree every year. Game refuge is a quarter mile away. The geese get loud sometimes. The Kirshner refuge had to move, I miss the lions roaring at feeding time.

XJEric
02-07-2012, 10:00 PM
WHAT!? I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER THE SOUND OF I-5. On-post housing. I could probably launch a rock and hit a car on either the on-ramp or highway from my backyard.

LizardRunner
02-08-2012, 08:45 AM
For the most part I get to listen to silence most of the evening. Wolf and I also tend to take the bike and go into the Ozark Mountains where we can camp for days and only hear mother nature and only see her creatures. During these trips we tend to gather our wild herbs and other medicines, play our flutes (I don't take a guitar on the bike) and let our bodies get back in tune with mother earth.

Mudderoy
02-08-2012, 10:48 AM
How many of you can..........
Go outside, sit down, and hear silence? :rolleyes:

Prior to moving here, I've only heard it once prior in the dead of winter in Northern Maine.

Since moving here, I get to enjoy it often and if I hear a dog bark in the distance..........it dosent count.....

Silence.............it's crazy! ;)

About as Box of Cherries non tech, back to basics as it gets....:smiley-gen123:

Most totally deaf people, upon surgical restoration of their hearing find it near impossible to relax or fall asleep once they can hear. It's a noisy world out there.

4.3LXJ
02-08-2012, 10:54 AM
Most totally deaf people, upon surgical restoration of their hearing find it near impossible to relax or fall asleep once they can hear. It's a noisy world out there.

My problem is that I can never hear my wife when she wants me to do something :rolleye0012:

Pookapotamus
02-08-2012, 11:24 AM
Its never silent around me, the voices in my head never shut up!

XJ Rat
02-08-2012, 12:45 PM
Use to live in the country in South Eastern Pennsylvania. It was eerily quiet out there. Only noise at night was the occassional volunteer fire house siren from in the distance over in Maryland.

Now I am back to city living, traffic, sirens, helicopters............something to be said about quiet! It is not bad.

DETOURS
02-10-2012, 05:52 PM
Damn Omish and their horse drawn carts blew my silence moment today in the fresh snow fall.........In the shop however.......it was rock'in!

bluedragon436
02-10-2012, 05:56 PM
I love living out in the country, like I do.. The only reason I've thought of moving closer to town, is to drop the amount of money spent on gas, not to mention the time it takes me to drive to and from work every day... Love the ability to have it quiet if I decide I want some quiet to work around..

BlueXJ
02-10-2012, 06:07 PM
Quiet here at 3 in the morning, but usually some noise around.

4.3LXJ
02-11-2012, 10:28 AM
At 3AM the owls hoot here

DETOURS
02-12-2012, 07:36 PM
When I say silence.........I mean nothing than your heart beating........true, locked up, insane......silence.......out doors. ;)

4.3LXJ
02-12-2012, 09:48 PM
Very quiet here tonight. All the wildlife is in out of the rain tonight.

BlueXJ
02-13-2012, 07:25 AM
Rain has a tendency to do that. It has been unusually quiet here as well and I attribute that to the precipitation. Had a possum on the porch last night to escape the rain.

rugidone
02-13-2012, 11:11 AM
I am living in the middle of nowhere right now. Cable company doesn't even service out there....only noise I here round hear is from the black-powder club that has a range out back of the house. Love it, too bad its soo friggin cold and snowy right now...don't get to enjoy it.

mocrawlin
03-05-2012, 12:43 AM
i live 20 miles from the nearest big town, way out here in the sticks! had to sell my mustang because i couldnt drive it down the road to our new place! lol it is very nice to step outside and hear the owls, and other wildlife about at night. wouldnt move back to town for nuthin. gas started goin up AGAIN, so i found a job that includes a company truck i drive home every night. lol

bigjim350
03-05-2012, 12:46 AM
I live out in the woods now. But me and the wife plan on moving into houston pretty soon. Bet it wont be long till i get in trouble for pissing off my front porch.

mocrawlin
03-05-2012, 12:54 AM
I live out in the woods now. But me and the wife plan on moving into houston pretty soon. Bet it wont be long till i get in trouble for pissing off my front porch.

lmao! my mother in law was out awhile back and my youngest boy went runnin thru the house and out on the porch and started peein, my wifes face got so red. her mom laughed for hours over that one.

thats a normal occurance around here! love it.

and i can go out at anytime i get the urge and run an impact, use a sawzall, or a b.f.h. to pound on stuff and noone is around to scream at me! well unless the wife was sleepin. :rolleye0012:

bigjim350
03-05-2012, 12:57 AM
lmao! my mother in law was out awhile back and my youngest boy went runnin thru the house and out on the porch and started peein, my wifes face got so red. her mom laughed for hours over that one.

thats a normal occurance around here! love it.

and i can go out at anytime i get the urge and run an impact, use a sawzall, or a b.f.h. to pound on stuff and noone is around to scream at me! well unless the wife was sleepin. :rolleye0012:

Yep thats the hard part im gonna have to adapt to when i move into the city. I have been known to weld and grind in the middle of the night. Not sure how my new neighbors will like that.

Mudderoy
03-05-2012, 08:57 AM
Yep thats the hard part im gonna have to adapt to when i move into the city. I have been known to weld and grind in the middle of the night. Not sure how my new neighbors will like that.

My wife tells me, "Do you know it's nearly midnight and you're making all that noise in the garage?" I tell her "I've been working on this for 6,8,12,14 hours and I'm not going to stop, clean up, not be able to close the garage door and then hit it again tomorrow for maybe an hour to finish, then clean up again." I usually take a deep breath before saying that.

The neighbors never complain, and it's doubtful they'd ever complain directly to me. :D

4.3LXJ
03-05-2012, 12:13 PM
Peeing off the back porch does conserve water you know. Right up there with showering with the wife

cpttuna
04-30-2012, 09:21 PM
I just turn my hearing aids off- end of problem

editedforsafety
12-16-2012, 11:25 AM
I hear planes, trains, and cars pretty steady all day, and I live in an apartment so I have neighbor noises too. Can't complain about the neighbor noise though, I play bass guitar and used to drive a car with no muffler.

It's nice going to the cabin in the U.P., and the only noise I hear at night is wood burning in the stove. I'd like to move up there someday, but I'd have to have money sorted out. 78 acres, only 5 neighbors in 3 miles, thousands of acres of state forest and logging roads as far as you want to go.

Dredwolf
12-17-2012, 08:11 PM
I live "out" as well, we used to be the "1st driveway on the left" AFTER driving a mile and half down the road...but not any more. :cry:

Glad I am in the middle of my little patch of acreage (35+), but wish I had a LOT more (is 2000 enough? Not sure, but if someone will let me try it for a few years, I'll let them know. :D )

4x4Dalton
12-17-2012, 08:33 PM
Where I'm at its fairly silent cept for the every now and then blaring stereo from across the road. It's ok though I just open hatch pop in one my cd's play it loud for 10 mins no noise from them the rest of the day :D

Sent from my bulletproof iPhone using the Flapmyjaws app :)