PDA

View Full Version : SC offroading

budgetxjmcknight
01-11-2012, 07:30 PM
I have a few bushing issues to get worked out, but when i'm done besides Gulches, where to go???? I am not in the financial state to pay an entry fee at a park, just looking for a place to get off the pavement without a fine or trespass trouble.......:confused::bang:

budgetxjmcknight
02-25-2012, 10:36 PM
After I wrote this I have found quite a few trails, and they get quite tricky for a stock jeep. But thanks for the input, even though I didn't get any......

cantab27
02-25-2012, 10:43 PM
well i couldn't give ya any input...... different country...did ya get off road....pics

budgetxjmcknight
02-28-2012, 07:44 PM
I don't have any pics as I never remember to bring a camera, but thats my fault. I did take it to this one place my fater-in-law has taken his Bronco, and has proceded to get stuck, or roll it every time. I myself Had no trouble even in stock trim. I love my xj, dependable and seemingly very very capable..:driving:

bluedragon436
02-29-2012, 06:08 PM
Man I wish I still lived in SC, or could get stationed back there!! There are so many more places to go and play!!

budgetxjmcknight
03-02-2012, 07:19 PM
I wish I knew of those places. Maybe you could enlighten me on them????

bluedragon436
03-02-2012, 07:21 PM
Not so much a matter of places to know, but finding places to play!! There are a lot of places folks go that are illegal... but there are a lot of places that are not so much legal, as they are not illegal and no one usually complains or tries to arrest you for wheeling on them!! I know when I lived in SC before joining the AF, there were so many places that you could go out with friends and just hit the trails, or mud, or run the power lines... and as long as people weren't being stupid and damaging the land or the equipment belonging to the folks that own the land, they didn't mind too much!!

budgetxjmcknight
03-02-2012, 07:33 PM
Where were you located then, I'm in the upstate [Spartanburg], I have hit up at the Pacolet river which is very fun, but haven't really got into it good. I know about Carver mills, but have heard of big fines if caught, but have also heard that if you are just wheeling and not thrasing it they don't care.

budgetxjmcknight
03-15-2012, 08:33 PM
Going to the river this Sat. and have a friend with his xj going with, also my father in law with his box ranger but he doesn't wanna go where we are going to take the xjs, hmmmm. Guess it's time for him to upgrade. Anyone in the upstate of SC wanna go, taking the kids and gna do some family fishing while there, might catch one or two.

UpstateXJ
08-15-2012, 10:23 PM
I run Carver quite frequently as it is right down the road. I have been out there and encountered the 5-oh. They were looking for underage drinking etc. People dumping trash and tires is killing it for everyone. Not to mention people out there on quads and dirtbikes at 3am with no exhausts ruining it for everyone as well. In fact I hope to make the Club 4x4 run out there this weekend.

I also hit up the gulches alot as well. My last rig rolled pretty bad when I was making a run up 3D.

Lake Houser is pretty close to us as well. From SPTBG it is only about 30-45 minutes up the road. $12 and you can ride till dark or camp and ride all night. Last time I was out there we cut a few new trails.

If you can find someone that can get you in, the Hush Hole is supposed to be pretty wicked. I am working on getting taken up there to check it out.

A buddy of mine has invited me to come to his house and run the trails that he built with his built samurai as well. Will see how that one turns out.

Shoot me a PM if you are still around.

Dredwolf
09-16-2012, 09:37 AM
I run Carver quite frequently as it is right down the road. I have been out there and encountered the 5-oh. They were looking for underage drinking etc. People dumping trash and tires is killing it for everyone. Not to mention people out there on quads and dirtbikes at 3am with no exhausts ruining it for everyone as well. In fact I hope to make the Club 4x4 run out there this weekend.

I also hit up the gulches alot as well. My last rig rolled pretty bad when I was making a run up 3D.

Lake Houser is pretty close to us as well. From SPTBG it is only about 30-45 minutes up the road. $12 and you can ride till dark or camp and ride all night. Last time I was out there we cut a few new trails.

If you can find someone that can get you in, the Hush Hole is supposed to be pretty wicked. I am working on getting taken up there to check it out.

A buddy of mine has invited me to come to his house and run the trails that he built with his built samurai as well. Will see how that one turns out.

Shoot me a PM if you are still around.

I registered because I found this post. I am interested, also. So many great places are gone in the Upstate now :(, and most of the old logging roads are gated by the Hunt clubs. I have tried on few occasions to talk to the club owners/presidents about letting 4x4's on the trails on club land for a reduced membership fee (unless you hunt too) and we could maintain the trails during the off season, but all thought the 4x4 traffic would drive off the game :rolleyes:

A buddy bought my baby blue '79 CJ-5 and is running Carver a lot, but I have not made it yet. My XJ is still limping on 2x (kid I bought it from swapped the D35 with a 4.10 and left front at 3.55:mad:)

I used to be very active in the Carolina Trailblazers 15-20 years ago, when regular club rides along the NC/SC border, and Glassy Mountain, Telico, Old Fort, Lake Lure and all those places still had trails that ran for miles. I am trying to get back into the hobby after a trip to AZ in 2010, and bought the XJ. Went to AZ/UT(MOAB!!!:D) in 2011, and still trying to get doing more local. Maybe one day I'll get the 8.25 swapped into the XJ and actually have 4x4...

Ran the Gulches "easy stuff" in my '91 Explorer, and took the wife's '03 Explorer to Horsepasture yesterday (they opened the road on 09/14), but ran out of daylight before we finished exploring. Get back in there far enough, and even Horsepasture got interesting enough that I was having to pick lines keep all 4 on the ground.

Dredwolf
09-16-2012, 09:45 AM
Also wanted to add, I have been into off-roading in some fashion since I was 5, with enduros, Hare Scambles motocross, then Jeeps, most of my life until I was 30, so cutting, maintaining and pitching in to help with trails is familiar to me (sold the CJ, but a KTM 300 MXC and XR400R still hide in the garage).

So being in a club to organize and participate such things is fine, but what clubs are left? That don't make every club run in Harlan, KY or Tenn?

Dredwolf
09-20-2012, 10:24 PM
Simply trying to keep this thread from dying, because there has got to be a few places left in upstate SC.:pray:

I understand not broadcasting the spots as well to keep the few spots left open, but I am interested in keeping the open spots open.:D PM's about places to go welcomed.

Maybe I'll make it to Carver before they close it.

budgetxjmcknight
09-29-2012, 04:04 PM
Sorry, haven't had internet in a while but I am still tryn to find spots to go and people to go with. Still going to the river when i can....

Dredwolf
09-29-2012, 05:55 PM
Sorry, haven't had internet in a while but I am still tryn to find spots to go and people to go with. Still going to the river when i can....

Horsepasture is not bad for an excuse to go on a drive, the wife and I have taken the 2003 Exploder there twice since it opened on the 14th. Yeah, its graveled, but grading won't last forever, and there are a couple of side spurs that look interesting, and not all of it receives the maintenance.:D

They have blocked you from driving onto the old boat ramp, but they almost made a rock garden instead of blocking it off. :rolleye0012:

Have not done Musterground/Bad Creek yet, but intend to soon, and see what its like.

And my XJ is getting closer to actually working, maybe in a few weeks!

budgetxjmcknight
10-06-2012, 06:52 PM
Where is this Horsepasture place at and do you have further details on it, cost, camping, things of that sort???? My XJ is still in stock form as far as suspension and tire size. I don't mind beating the metal a bit but try not to, have had to to get out of a few spots so it has it's battle scars, lol..:out:

Dredwolf
10-06-2012, 11:59 PM
Where is this Horsepasture place at and do you have further details on it, cost, camping, things of that sort???? My XJ is still in stock form as far as suspension and tire size. I don't mind beating the metal a bit but try not to, have had to to get out of a few spots so it has it's battle scars, lol..:out:

It's off 178 towards Rosman, NC, right after the littler crossroads know as Rocky Bottom...years ago, it was huge unregulated off road area, and of course, stupid happened and it got shut down.

The roads are graded and graveled now, and only open after Sept 15 until about January, then I think they open again in the spring. They allow ATV's on the roads, and camping in designated areas. Jumping off Rock and the Old Boat ramp are worth the trip, and if my wife's stock 2003 Explorer can make it, you know an XJ can. You may not even need 4x4, but the road was rough back in the day, and solid rock does not grade well....so you will need "real" SUV or pickup ground clearance. And on some of the less maintained side roads, the climbs between waterbars can get steep enough that if you stop in 4x2, you may need 4x4 to get moving again.

You can locate the road with Google Maps and zooming in. Last real gas is the store at the crossroads of 11 and 178, unless you roll into Rosman, NC. Its not "real" trails, but a good way to spend some hours off pavement legally in a pretty place.

Dredwolf
10-13-2012, 04:27 PM
Went out to Carver with my buddy that bought my old blue CJ-5, for the maiden voyage for the XJ....had a real good time, nice to be off-roading again.

http://www.xjtalk.com/picture.php?albumid=429&pictureid=3289

http://www.xjtalk.com/picture.php?albumid=429&pictureid=3288

bluedragon436
10-13-2012, 04:31 PM
Miss seeing those plates all the time... and miss having places to wheel like that... Can't wait to make it back down SC way, hopefully permenately!!

Dredwolf
10-21-2012, 06:59 PM
So any other XJ Talk members in the upstate?

budgetxjmcknight
12-22-2012, 08:46 AM
Got the net back, also finally went to carver mill and it was freaking awsome. The wife didn't agree though... plan on going again as soon as i can get my jeep to fire up??????

Dredwolf
12-22-2012, 09:37 AM
Got the net back, also finally went to carver mill and it was freaking awsome. The wife didn't agree though... plan on going again as soon as i can get my jeep to fire up??????

:D I hear you. Always something.

We have lots of help on this board, what is it doing besides not starting?

At least turning over? Check for spark?

I have to weld up the shock mount and finish the new front coils (got one on, the XJ looks STOOPID like that :rolleye0012:)

Put out message the next time you are thinking about going.

budgetxjmcknight
12-24-2012, 04:05 PM
I did check what i could find on here after throwing parts at it like an idiot.. Then read up on what i could find here. changed the TPS, didn't do it, checked for spark at the coil, no spark, tried to check the coil and thought it read bad. Replaced it, didn't work. Then followed directions found here, moved around the CPS wires and it fired right up, crazy but now the starter drags every few turns and its like i lost 20 hp. good news is it fires up and idles smother than before, don't know whats up with that though, maybe the TPS is out of whack......

4.3LXJ
12-24-2012, 06:13 PM
It could be. The TPS needs to be set. But I forgot how it is done. BlueXJ knows though

Dredwolf
12-25-2012, 11:34 AM
This covers the adjustment, based on the year....

http://autorepair.about.com/library/faqs/bl232i.htm

budgetxjmcknight
12-25-2012, 07:28 PM
Awesome, going to bring home my fluke tomorrow and get it right, by the way going back to carver mill rd as quick as i can it was great. I really want to test the limits of my stock jeep and my driving ability. I have watched a few things on youtube and I know there is more than mine can handle, but I just want to finaly get it stuck. Don't know why but I have to do it.

Dredwolf
12-25-2012, 08:07 PM
Awesome, going to bring home my fluke tomorrow and get it right, by the way going back to carver mill rd as quick as i can it was great. I really want to test the limits of my stock jeep and my driving ability. I have watched a few things on youtube and I know there is more than mine can handle, but I just want to finaly get it stuck. Don't know why but I have to do it.

If mine is rolling in time, I'll make sure to toss the recovery gear bag in the back ;)

budgetxjmcknight
12-25-2012, 08:23 PM
Where are you at? maybe I could come help get it going. Sure don't have the money for wrench time on mine but I am more than happy to lend a hand and make good friends.

Dredwolf
12-25-2012, 09:59 PM
Where are you at? maybe I could come help get it going. Sure don't have the money for wrench time on mine but I am more than happy to lend a hand and make good friends.

I am down towards Woodruff, in Moore. I don't have the week off (unfortunately), or I would be wrenching and welding on mine. Might take you up on the assistance, an extra hand would be helpful getting the Dana 30 where I can gusset and repair the shock mount.

Finally got a bottle of gas for the MIG, but have to find what I did with the regulator...been running flux core for a while now, and put the regulator away....somewhere.:bang:

budgetxjmcknight
12-26-2012, 02:32 PM
Thats not but about 15 min from me and would be cool to have someone to wrench with.

budgetxjmcknight
01-07-2013, 06:29 PM
Made the old lady mad last time, now i have to take her to the movies at least 2 times before we go again. Thank god for the $1.50 theater, lol.

4.3LXJ
01-07-2013, 06:45 PM
Gona have to do better Jason. She needs to enjoy herself

Dredwolf
01-07-2013, 09:13 PM
That is the truth....the main reason we took my wife's 03 Explorer to Musterground Road was because she wanted to explore some dirt roads, and we had not been in a few weeks. Can't make them mad or really scared...messes with wheeling trips ;-)

budgetxjmcknight
01-08-2013, 04:48 PM
Yea she always has fun but not that time.

Dredwolf
01-24-2013, 07:06 PM
Because I refuse to let this thread die.....

4.3LXJ
01-24-2013, 07:59 PM
Hey John. Here is a link that might interest you. They want money for info, but it can give you good ideas for future research

http://www.trailsource.com/scripts/three.asp?STATENAME=SOUTH%20CAROLINA&TYPE=OHV

Dredwolf
01-24-2013, 08:53 PM
In my digging through the web, I found the dual-sport riders are really organized, and they find the gravel/dirt/Forest Service Roads that are open, and draw up loops to travel by the roads....

http://www.advrider.com/ is one resource....as a former Motocross/Hare Scramble/Enduro racer myself, I stay alert for riders when checking out a road....

budgetxjmcknight
01-25-2013, 06:45 PM
Awesome. Always mindfull of any atv and or other riders when offroad.