PDA

View Full Version : Reverse Osmosis Water system (Not Jeep related)

07Negative
01-09-2012, 07:24 PM
This has absolutely nothing to do with the Jeep this time around. But instead my health and the thirst for clean tasting water. I live in Oakland, Ca. We have rather decent water out of the faucet, but I still think it tastes like crap.
I really dislike buying bottled water. Especially since it's just freakin tap water anyhow.
So I did some homework for a few months and came across a real R.O water system for under the kitchen faucet. Its a 5 filter system. Which anything less is a joke of a system. And my favorite part. It's all made in America. California even. Wicked easy to install. I never hear any noises from it. Since I'm in Cali. I get taxed on it. But with the unit, shipping, and tax. I paid something like $347.**. Personally I don't think that's expensive. Though some may.
The water tastes like water now. The link below is the one I got. I have a really small house and there's only 3 of us. So it's sufficient enough. I highly recommend it. I'd even install one if I was a renter still.
http://www.freedrinkingwater.com/ro-45-detail.htm

bluedragon436
06-11-2012, 11:30 PM
I will have to look into this... I live on a Farm with well water... but would still like a better tasting water!!

oderdene
06-11-2012, 11:47 PM
not really sure, they all have mineral add-in cartridge or something like. Most RO water are pure clean and lack of minerals required.

Its Minerals. Minerals are what give water its great taste, as is the case with a mountain stream. Equally important, minerals also make water slightly alkaline rather than acidic which is what occurs with Reverse Osmosis filtration.

bluedragon436
06-11-2012, 11:55 PM
Man I would love to have some good tasting water without having to buy bottled water.. I have a small filter on the Camelback water bottle I use when I am flying, and when I'm driving to and from work... That thing is not nearly as high tech as a reverse osmosis filter... but it still helps... so I can only imagine how awesome this thing would make the water taste..

cantab27
06-12-2012, 01:23 AM
thats why i drink beer.............................................. ......................

xj4life2
06-12-2012, 12:37 PM
thats why i drink beer.............................................. ......................

NZ tanslation required :
english -water
NZ-Beer
Ok so thats outa the way , oh its the same in Aussie for those of you keeping record :)

bluedragon436
06-13-2012, 03:34 AM

Just think of how good said beer would taste after running it through a reverse osmosis filter!! LOL

89WhiteXJ
06-13-2012, 08:38 PM
RO water is great. I used to install and service water treatment systems for whole house, under sinks and large building. I like the RO water I just hate how it has to run water to the drain to make water. So, you end up wasting a lot of water in the long run but again the water is great.

denverd1
06-20-2012, 10:05 AM
I've got a counter top system that I'm really happy with. Started out as a way to combat acid reflux.. alkaline water is the opposite of acidic. Worked wonders for me. I can enjoy foods that I cut out of my diet - including dark beer. There's also some research that shows cancerous cells cannot survive in an alkaline environment. Sounds like a a bit of a stretch, but the water taste like water again, even though some is going down the drain. BTW you can capture the acidic water "exhaust" and use it in laundry and general cleaning. It's basically like vinegar, just not as strong. FWIW

07Negative
06-24-2012, 01:40 PM
I'm not really wasting water. I collect a shit ton of rain water to wash my car and water the veggie garden. I switched my lawn out for native plants and don't ever water my lawn. I also employed a grey water system into the bathrooms. So the water that I wash my hands with fills the toilet.
Of all the monthly bills I got. The water bill is what killed me the most. I have these crappy low flow toilets. But they don't put that big of a dent in bill.
I've got a tiny house, so storing bottled water would require me to add onto the house. So I went with a RO. I'd love to RO the entire house. But the price on the unit was more than I could afford at the time.
I'm not sure how your getting such acidic water. The ph should be somewhere around 7-8. Which is alkaline. I live in Oakland, Ca. We have EBMUD for water maniciple. They put reports on their website everyday or week of what they test water at. I think it tastes like crap out of the faucet. The ph this summer 8.2 but out of the RO it's 7.4. When I refridgerate it is when it tastes the best.
I too drink more than my share of beer. The breweries around here use RO water b/c they want a certain ph and no chlorine.