PDA

View Full Version : Steel or Aluminum

xjjeepthing
03-28-2009, 04:35 PM
My wheels need replaced. They are badly rusted and one leaks air. Lets hear your Pros and Cons of both, steel and aluminum.

Melissa
03-28-2009, 04:51 PM
to me

Steel Wheels
Pros- Price and strength
Cons- Corrosion, weight, lack of percision balancing

Aluminum Wheels
Pros- Ability to percision balance, maintenace, look and weight
Cons- Strength and cost

thats my 2 cents worth anyways, I voted for Aluminum

DETOURS
03-28-2009, 07:39 PM
Wheel mass.........

It takes less power to run a lighter wheel, so weigh out the difference, tire size comes into play as well...

If you wheel heavy, a "forged" aluminum rim should be considered, oh yea..they cost more but they get you home as well.

As always, you get what you pay for.:popcorn:

muddeprived
03-30-2009, 06:07 AM
Your jeep is too nice and deserves some nice wheels, other than the plain and too-common steelies. Go aluminum and forget rust forever. It's just not worth getting steelies in a rust belt cuz you'll be repainting or replacing them every couple years and money is wasted when you can just get one set of wheels that'll last literally forever. I ran steelies since i started wheeling 13 years ago and finally switched over this year. I'm glad I did cuz i got sick of seeing my money rust away.

Mudderoy
03-30-2009, 09:14 AM
I like my alloys, I would have rather gone with a different looking wheel, but for $100 each well they were double the price of the black steel wheels.

You wait though, I'm going bead locks eventually.

AJsArmor
04-09-2009, 08:13 AM
I like alloy/aluminum rims but if it's going on a rig that's going to play in the rocks....I'd prefer steel. Steel bends and with some hammer action you can always bend back. Aluminum either cracks or if it bends, the repair isn't cheap and can't easily be done by the average joe.

Steelies have the benefit of being able to add a weld-on beadlock kit in the future too.

Melissa
04-09-2009, 02:43 PM
My wheels need replaced. They are badly rusted and one leaks air. Lets hear your Pros and Cons of both, steel and aluminum.

Have you decided what you are gonna do?

muddeprived
04-09-2009, 07:47 PM
Have you decided what you are gonna do?

We will have to sit and wait cuz he won't tell till he gets em. :smiley-sleep027:

xjjeepthing
04-09-2009, 07:58 PM
I have done nothing yet. The Black Rogue wheels I ordered are backordered till 6/25. Not sure what i will do. Still worried about trashing an aluminum wheel.

muddeprived
04-09-2009, 11:49 PM
I have done nothing yet. The Black Rogue wheels I ordered are backordered till 6/25. Not sure what i will do. Still worried about trashing an aluminum wheel.

have you considered a 2nd set for wheeling? you could use ur current wheels for off road and buy a dedicated wheeling tire, say swampers. that way you can get a nice set of alums to look good and never have to worry about trashing them or just buy a complete tire/alum wheel set for your DD duties and use ur current set on the trail.

xjjeepthing
04-10-2009, 06:34 AM
Yep considering making my steelies into beadlocks and getting some other tires.

xjjeepthing
04-14-2009, 07:14 PM
I got new wheels today. I ordered 5 different wheels, all of them ended up on backorder. So I ended up with a set of good ole Soft 8's. Screw it, they will work. I may have beadlocks made out of my old ones.

Mudderoy
04-14-2009, 09:04 PM
Fate voted for you.

Melissa
04-14-2009, 09:25 PM
Went back to your other thread and looked at the soft 8's, I like them.

Do you got them on yet???? Any pictures???? :D

xjjeepthing
04-14-2009, 09:42 PM
I will have them tommorrow . Pictures when i get them on

BlueXJ
04-19-2009, 02:07 AM
Well everyone has all but talked you into Aluminum but I prefer steel wheels. If you bend one a hammer will usually get it bent back into line enough to get you home. An aluminum will either crack from the impact or break when you try to beat it back into enough shape to hold air. So if you ever think you may slam a wheel against a rock while it is aired down then stick with steelies.

xjjeepthing
04-19-2009, 06:56 AM
Ended up with steel. Got cheap, need some other things. I like aluminum for the weight, just worries me gouging a $100 wheel. The ole girl look good with black steelies.
http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s44/xjjeepthing/My%20jeep/003-3.jpg
http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s44/xjjeepthing/My%20jeep/001-1.jpg

Melissa
04-19-2009, 02:13 PM
Ended up with steel. Got cheap, need some other things. I like aluminum for the weight, just worries me gouging a $100 wheel. The ole girl look good with black steelies.

Yes she does, looks really good :cheerleader: