PDA

View Full Version : what would you do with an m151 MUTT?

mr frog
12-28-2011, 07:06 PM
so this uncle of mine has everything but the body of an m151 mutt... i don't think the engine's ever been turned. the frame and suspension were in his scrap iron pile but still looked like they were in good shape. he said i can take it all... so should i build the mutt? build some sort of rock crawler? build an airboat? put all the parts on my cherokee that i can? whatever happens, i'm sure it will piss off my inlaws.

prerunner1982
12-28-2011, 07:12 PM
If you could find a body I would drive the thing around. Maybe put some 31" off road tires on it or something. I don't think I would get too involved in modifying it though. I bet very few people would know what it was... probably think it is a Hummer of some sort.

You could also sell the parts you have to a Military Vehicle enthusiast... www.Steelsoldiers.com

Carves
12-28-2011, 07:23 PM
I'd grab it .... even just for a money maker on parts ??

Supposedly - they were supposed to be cut up on decommision ... coz they were not suitable for civilian road use.

Had some funny suspension tendencies if you werent careful. .... 'sposed to be good offroad tho.

4.3LXJ
12-28-2011, 08:10 PM
I can tell you what I would do with it for sure. The MUTT was a unibody vehicle. Most of them were cut in half when sold to the public. The reason was some safety issues with rolling over in hard corners on rough terrain. However there was a kit that came out to supposedly fix that. BBUUUUUUUTTTTT

There is something really cool you can do with them if you want, and something I would definitely do if I had one. The drive train was very light to fit military specs. But Ford did something at the military request that makes the differentials kind of cool. They have a flange for a driveline yoke front and rear. The original idea was to be able to make a 6X6 utility rig out of them. You can do this yourself too. All you need is another rear half and weld in on to the existing unibody and then make up a small driveline for it, duece and a half style. Google M151 6X6 to see what I mean.

twisstedxj
12-28-2011, 09:52 PM
Sweet decently do some thing with it I regret scraping the 49 Willis overland I had back before I knew what I had