PDA

View Full Version : I'm A New Mother Of Sextuplets!!!

Melissa
07-12-2009, 11:27 PM
New mother of sextuplet large mouth bass that is. I somehow got talked into these little guys, and of course I could not say no. So I present to you my new babies :D

http://i730.photobucket.com/albums/ww305/melreese83/numbered%20pictures/HPIM0646.jpg

http://i730.photobucket.com/albums/ww305/melreese83/numbered%20pictures/HPIM0645.jpg

http://i730.photobucket.com/albums/ww305/melreese83/numbered%20pictures/HPIM0644.jpg

Oh.........the brown lumps on the bottom of the tank and the one floating are live aqua plant bulbs that I just added, well I wanted them to feel right at home :)

muddeprived
07-13-2009, 11:30 AM
Damn you had me with that title. :smiley-taunt013:

Melissa
07-13-2009, 01:27 PM
Damn you had me with that title. :smiley-taunt013:

:woot: :smiley-dance011: ;)

AJ99
07-13-2009, 03:53 PM
LOL me too... I have a pet Catfish lol...

BlueXJ
07-13-2009, 03:58 PM
Ahhhhh!!!! Entertainment and snacks for the kitty. How sweet of you.

Dirt Dogg Rydas
07-13-2009, 04:04 PM
:popcorn:I'm getting hungry

Voldemort
07-13-2009, 04:07 PM
Ha I was like Holy Crap" when I say the post I thought i was real kids.

Melissa
07-13-2009, 04:16 PM
My bad, I'm sorry....................................Okay I'm not, thought it was a very catchy title :rotfl2:

And Blue no snacks for my cat, she already wants to open and play with my worms I'm growing for fishing, but I do get to be really mean and mince up 1/2 a worm twice a day to feed my babies :eek:

I'd like to get a couple baby catfish for my new tank, but I am afarid that the bass will kill them :(

Mudderoy
07-13-2009, 07:39 PM
I kept thinking of breast feeding jokes... I controlled myself, well at least until now.

whowey
07-13-2009, 10:21 PM
Very Cool, you have quite the eclectic collection of animals.

But for some reason I keep seeing frying pans, sticks of butter, and lemon halves...

Melissa
07-13-2009, 11:11 PM
:popcorn:I'm getting hungry

Very Cool, you have quite the eclectic collection of animals.

But for some reason I keep seeing frying pans, sticks of butter, and lemon halves...

I'm a sucker for animals!!

I was going to leave it alone, but not now. I am hoping to raise my babies up and get them good and fat, then eat them!!!

I love the taste of bass

I am in the process of constructing a pond, so that I can transfer them and give them a chance to get to eating size :D

AJ99
07-14-2009, 12:25 AM
Just get a small tank for the catfish until they are big enough to go in the tank with the bass. I got mine out of the local river here in bakersfield about 2 years ago and he lived in a ten gallon tank until about 3 months ago. he was about 6 in long then and now he is now about 8 to 9in long...

Melissa
07-14-2009, 12:43 AM
Just get a small tank for the catfish until they are big enough to go in the tank with the bass. I got mine out of the local river here in bakersfield about 2 years ago and he lived in a ten gallon tank until about 3 months ago. he was about 6 in long then and now he is now about 8 to 9in long...

Good idea :thumbsup:

BlueXJ
07-14-2009, 07:48 AM
Get that pond finished and stocked then call me. I might take the MJ for a road trip.

whowey
07-14-2009, 08:20 PM

You are gonna need a bigger tank... that's nowhere near eating size....

AJ99
07-15-2009, 12:53 AM
You are gonna need a bigger tank... that's nowhere near eating size....

LOL i was just saying use the smaller one to get them to a decent size. I have my cat in a 150 gallon tank now. I am working on a pond to put him in... im gonna let him grow as big as i can lol..

BlueXJ
07-15-2009, 07:31 AM
Our Friday nite ritual is to go eat catfish at this little BBQ plsce that has then only on Fridays, you got a place like that in Hep Heppner? May be the future for "Mel's Catfish Farm".

Mudderoy
07-15-2009, 08:44 AM
Our Friday nite ritual is to go eat catfish at this little BBQ plsce that has then only on Fridays, you got a place like that in Hep Heppner? May be the future for "Mel's Catfish Farm".

I have a better name for the place...

"Come Eat Mel's Sextuplets!"

Melissa
07-15-2009, 12:29 PM

No fish joint around here, closest is a hour and a half away.

I have a better name for the place...

"Come Eat Mel's Sextuplets!"

Oh now that would go over so well!!! :smiley-laughing021:

Melissa
08-07-2009, 07:59 PM
Oh crap, more!!

I was looking at my fish today ( I am now down to five ) and I noticed that there were little borwn things on the sides of the glass, so I turned the light on and what did I see 12 baby snails crawling all over the glass WTF!!! I never had snails when I put the fish into the five gallon brand new tank. I started laughing, I don't know how they got there, but they are cute so their gonna stay, now I just hope that I don't kill any of my new babies when I move everyone to thir new 55 gallon home tomorrow. When I got the bass they were less than a 1/4 inch in length, now 3 weeks later all five are 2 inches long and growing like weeds. I can almost taste dinner!!

BlueXJ
08-07-2009, 08:36 PM
Congrats on the snail babies.

whowey
08-07-2009, 09:19 PM
2 inches,... thats almost butter pat sized... they are getting there.

Melissa
08-17-2009, 10:52 AM
More useless info for most, but neat to me.

I moved my baby bass from a 5 gallon tank to a 55 gallon tank about a week ago (they love it)

http://i730.photobucket.com/albums/ww305/melreese83/misc%20pictures/HPIM0704.jpg

Now they are big enough that they have graduated from minced worms to fathead and rosey red minnos, it is so neat to watch them hunt these little guys!

http://i730.photobucket.com/albums/ww305/melreese83/misc%20pictures/HPIM0744.jpg

Audio222
08-17-2009, 12:30 PM
When's the fish fry? =)

ol"blue
08-17-2009, 01:39 PM
I just noticed this thread. Fish are cool "pets" for some people. They're relaxing and calming to watch. Specially with the right music playing in the back ground. But they're put on this Earth as a food source, and when properly prepared they're succulent. Cooked incorrectly, it's a waste of something that could have been delicious. I'm just rambling because, not 5 miles down the highway from me there's a restaurant called " Cowboy's". Lot's of tourist's go there for a nice dinner because it overlooks the lake. Decent little place. Peanut shells on the floor, a nice bar. But their fish sucks. It tastes like dirt. 5 miles down the road at the Marina it's delicious. And the prices at the Marina are cheaper. It's all in the preparation. Just like everything else.

Melissa
08-17-2009, 05:57 PM
When's the fish fry? =)

Just as soon as they are big enough, at the rate their growing, I'm thinking in about 3 months :drool:

I just noticed this thread. Fish are cool "pets" for some people. They're relaxing and calming to watch. Specially with the right music playing in the back ground. But they're put on this Earth as a food source, and when properly prepared they're succulent. Cooked incorrectly, it's a waste of something that could have been delicious. I'm just rambling because, not 5 miles down the highway from me there's a restaurant called " Cowboy's". Lot's of tourist's go there for a nice dinner because it overlooks the lake. Decent little place. Peanut shells on the floor, a nice bar. But their fish sucks. It tastes like dirt. 5 miles down the road at the Marina it's delicious. And the prices at the Marina are cheaper. It's all in the preparation. Just like everything else.

I agree, I am only a fish lover if the fish is cooked correctly, I love bass and walleye, but prefer to cook them at home and not go out to eat fish.

xjarcher
08-17-2009, 06:44 PM
I agree, I am only a fish lover if the fish is cooked correctly, I love bass and walleye, but prefer to cook them at home and not go out to eat fish.

Ahh, walleye straight out of the lake in Oba Ontario!! what great memories. You can't go wrong with a mess of bluegills done properly either. I don't care for bass much, but with all the good tasting fish here in the mitten I only fish for bass to get a Master Angler award (skip the joke Blue!) or fun.

BTW Melissa, I love your Avatars!

Melissa
08-17-2009, 08:23 PM

Ahh, walleye straight out of the lake in Oba Ontario!! what great memories. You can't go wrong with a mess of bluegills done properly either. I don't care for bass much, but with all the good tasting fish here in the mitten I only fish for bass to get a Master Angler award (skip the joke Blue!) or fun.

BTW Melissa, I love your Avatars!

We have blugill and crappie here, but they never get big enough for me to eat. I have tried them and do like them, but we have lots of really good sized bass and trout, so thats what I mainly fish for. I can only get walleye when I fish the Columbia about an hour away.

Thank you about my avatars, I'm always searching for new ones!

Melissa
09-24-2009, 12:29 AM
Okay this whole "fish thing" is really becoming a pain in the a**. I have been feeding my bass ( they are now 5 inches ) feeder minnows, well the last time I bought 50 of the little suckers, I ended up with a feeder guppy, that just happened to be pregnant. Now being the softie I am, I just couldn't feed my bass a pregnant fish. So after almost 3 weeks and the hassle of buying yet another tank, I get up this morning to find my momma guppy gave birth, but I think she ate most as I can only find one. Of course she had to do it when I have a tank divider and breeder/birthing box somewhere in the mail on their way here. Now after the babies were born I had planned on feeding my bass the momma, letting the babies get big enough and then feed them as well, come to find out that even without a male guppy in the tank with my female, she still could give me for babies for the next few months.

I just wanted to raise the bass to eat, now I have bass, alge eaters, snails, feeder minnows, and guppies. Oh well, I didn't already have enough things to do during the day :rotfl2:

But the good news is that we are getting closer to a fish fry :thumbsup:

Here are my bass when I got them

http://i730.photobucket.com/albums/ww305/melreese83/misc%20pictures/HPIM0646.jpg

Here they are today

http://i730.photobucket.com/albums/ww305/melreese83/misc%20pictures/HPIM0895.jpg

Here are the placo's (alge eaters) They love par boiled tomatoes, but the draw back is the seeds from the tomatoe are trying to sprout up all over the tank

http://i730.photobucket.com/albums/ww305/melreese83/misc%20pictures/HPIM0822.jpg

Here is momma guppy peeking out of her pot

http://i730.photobucket.com/albums/ww305/melreese83/misc%20pictures/HPIM0892.jpg

I was going to try and get a picture of the one baby, but it's the size of a pencil tip :shocker:

To top it all off the 55 gallon tank I bought, is now getting to small for all five bass, so I am looking at buying this 125 gallon tank over by portland for $250

http://i730.photobucket.com/albums/ww305/melreese83/misc%20pictures/untitled.jpg

That means when I finally get to eat these guys it will end up being a $500 Bass dinner, I think I might just be nuts :smiley-scared002: