PDA

View Full Version : Tool Buying Question

Joliet Johnny
12-14-2011, 02:40 AM
Im going to change my front u-joints and would rather use a press than a hammer and socket.

How many tons should a press be to do this job?

Also would it be a poor idea to do this in my apartment?

XJMJeep
12-14-2011, 02:50 AM
http://www.harborfreight.com/12-ton-shop-press-33497.html

That's what I use, might be a bit much for an apartment but I've never regretted buying mine.
If your interested in buying one let me know, I got a lot of 20% off coupons and don't mind sharing them :thumbsup:

Joliet Johnny
12-14-2011, 03:09 AM
Yes would be interested in coupon and know to bring cash to that place to avoid a melted debit card.

LizardRunner
12-14-2011, 08:40 AM
as far as size of press for U joints anything from 10 ton to 20 ton will get the job finished neatly and quickly. In an apartment setting I would look for an A frame type for space saving. In a shop setting I want the big rectangle frame. I have helped one buddy build his press frame, we built it to handle 10 to 50 tons, he just replaces the hydrolic ram with the size he needs. We also fabricated a bunch of dollies and press plates for his rig, just means he doesn't have to fiddle around to get a good fit for pressing in or out what ever his needs happen to be.

Joliet Johnny
12-14-2011, 08:57 AM
I should be moving soon. I think I will get the one XJMJEEP recommended. Im guessing I can either disassemble it when done and move it into my storage unit. I wish I lived closer to you Mr Lizzard.

Mudderoy
12-14-2011, 09:23 AM
Im going to change my front u-joints and would rather use a press than a hammer and socket.

How many tons should a press be to do this job?

Also would it be a poor idea to do this in my apartment?

I used a vice (difficult in an apartment) a large bearing from a NP242 and a short socket. Oh and 3 hands! I just pressed them out with the vice.

cantab27
12-14-2011, 10:53 AM
smaller jobs like this are ideal for doing in apartment....engine rip down ya may struggle and may need the whole lounge....socket and hammer work great, tis how mine get done...

LizardRunner
12-14-2011, 08:56 PM
I should be moving soon. I think I will get the one XJMJEEP recommended. Im guessing I can either disassemble it when done and move it into my storage unit. I wish I lived closer to you Mr Lizzard.

that's the way I'd roll it'll give you lots of ability

Joliet Johnny
12-14-2011, 09:32 PM
Tony made me think of a dark moment from my past. I had a Fiero parts car with a sagging door. The DD had a large hole in it from previous owner abuse. I went to Pontiac and bought a new pin and bushing. Broke 4 C clamps, and 2 bushings and almost lost a girlfriend(due to the Fiero parts in the apartment) yes Tony 3 hands and the will of God to make it happen.

bigjim350
12-15-2011, 02:31 AM
I have a hyd press in my shop. However I still always use my vise to do ujoints. When using a vise you cant **** up and cause damage, with a press you can.

xj4life2
12-15-2011, 10:44 AM
We never use a press on u joints, it can get them to tight and actually ruin them . I highly recomend that you use the vise and hammer method so you can judge the tightness of the joint when installing it. I think you'll be glad you did.

4.3LXJ
12-15-2011, 10:55 AM
I have a hydraulic press too, and it is even motorized. But I use the vise for u joints too. You can bend the ears of the yoke easily in a press