PDA

View Full Version : AW4 transmission

rm2406
11-29-2011, 02:27 PM
hello all, im having an issue with my tranny. when i first start it for the day all gears work perfectly 1,2,3,4 & OD & reverse. after about 40 minutes of driving 1st to 2nd shift gear slips only.after 2nd gear the rest shift good but then no lock up. but if i shift to nuetral and back to drive real quick while driving the tcc locks up. after 45-1hr driving that little trick wont engage tcc lock up anymore til i park for an hour. and also after 40min of driving, reverse takes more acceleration to move in reverse(slips). if i park for an hour everything works again til after another long drive. i've done regular fluid maintenence, i've added a additional cooler.i've adjusted the kickdown cable. i've tried another tcm with same effects.replaced tps twice with same effects.after the drive i've check the temps and saw 175-180 degrees temp.(bout normal)im now clueless. something is going on after a long drive.short drives no problems at all.any ideas what i should start checking next??

Mudderoy
11-29-2011, 02:47 PM
hello all, im having an issue with my tranny. when i first start it for the day all gears work perfectly 1,2,3,4 & OD & reverse. after about 40 minutes of driving 1st to 2nd shift gear slips only.after 2nd gear the rest shift good but then no lock up. but if i shift to nuetral and back to drive real quick while driving the tcc locks up. after 45-1hr driving that little trick wont engage tcc lock up anymore til i park for an hour. and also after 40min of driving, reverse takes more acceleration to move in reverse(slips). if i park for an hour everything works again til after another long drive. i've done regular fluid maintenence, i've added a additional cooler.i've adjusted the kickdown cable. i've tried another tcm with same effects.replaced tps twice with same effects.after the drive i've check the temps and saw 175-180 degrees temp.(bout normal)im now clueless. something is going on after a long drive.short drives no problems at all.any ideas what i should start checking next??

This doesn't sound good. Can you shift it manually and it doesn't slip?

4.3LXJ
11-29-2011, 04:18 PM
I have had trannys do this to me. The bushings and such in it allow too much oil to pass and not build up enough pressure to shift properly once the oil warms up and gets less viscous. I will suggest it is rebuild time.

rm2406
11-30-2011, 09:54 AM
im gonna try manually shifting and see what happens.also it was rebuilt about 2 yrs. ago and the problem has been almost right after that. also if i drive from a stop point and accelerate lightly it shifts to 2nd gear with no problems. and another thing i noticed is when its going into 2nd gear slipping and while its slipping i shift to down to"3" range than 2nd gear engages and goes smooth without any jerks or probs. so if i drive from a stop with the shifter on "3" 1st to second always engages even after looong drives. it doesnt slip in 3 range. by 3 RANGE i mean on the drive range like D,1-2,3. any other suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

rm2406
12-05-2011, 09:17 AM
any other ideas all?? will a tps cause this kinda problems? ive replaced tps twice with brand "STANDARD" but im seeing that for some sensors its better to go oem??

OMC OFFROAD
11-29-2012, 09:13 PM
Did you find issue with your trans? I have found that to be the TQ or front pump. Here is a shop were we get are parts from to do rebuilds and build ups, IPT Transmission url is www.importperformancetrans.com guys are really good and have quality parts :D

rm2406
01-03-2013, 11:00 AM
actually this situation was with another jeep that was totaled... i then bought another one 1995 xj 4x4 4.0 HO with 60,000 miles and im keepin it stock and very clean!! thanks for all the help people!!