PDA

View Full Version : Dedicated Vehicle GPS

Mudderoy
11-28-2011, 01:55 PM
I'm considering getting a dedicated GPS receiver to go in the Jeep. I go the same place most of the time, and do very little traveling, but the prices are getting so cheap now it's really a no brainer to get one for the just in chase times.

I like the idea of having a GPS that gives your detours based on real time traffic conditions, but I have read various reviews from people saying it's great to useless because if the traffic condition was real, it had cleared by the time they go to it (they didn't take the detour).

So if you have a GPS in your vehicle, what do you have and how do you like it? Please do not post about OEM GPS systems since I am only interested in buying a GPS not a complete vehicle. :patriot:

Indiana Jeep
11-28-2011, 02:23 PM
I use a Garmin Nuvi I like it but it does not have the traffic updates. I also got a ram mount that hangs it on the rear view mirror. It comes in handy now and then.

Mudderoy
11-28-2011, 02:35 PM
I use a Garmin Nuvi I like it but it does not have the traffic updates. I also got a ram mount that hangs it on the rear view mirror. It comes in handy now and then.

Yep I was looking at the Garmin Nuvi (with lifetime traffic updates) after hearing a commercial on the radio this morning. Personally I'm a TomTom fan both on my old PDA and the GPS I recently bought for my wife.

Looking at TomTom they don't have lifetime traffic updates, well at least not at a reasonable price. Plus I'm not paying for annual updates.

Firemanray
11-28-2011, 02:59 PM
I have a garmin ( older model ) i love it and i hate it. I don't like the navigation it will give you the run around. I use it more like a map and choose my own route. I like the fact i can drop a "bread crumb" at a location and go back to it later.

Joliet Johnny
11-30-2011, 11:19 AM
Im currently running a Garmin Nuvi but hated its windshield mount so I bought the one from walmart in the generic accessories section that you can place anywhere you want. The GPS that comes standard with an Android phone is really good and if your GPS was also your phone then it wouldnt get tired of being in your car and break a window on its way out as GPS's tend to do.

bigjim350
11-30-2011, 12:11 PM
I have the Garmin with traffic updates. Works great, use it all the time. Had a TomTom before and it sucked. Got me lost a few times, and always picked shitty routes.

Mudderoy
11-30-2011, 02:46 PM
I think some people think that if it is a computer telling them where to go it must be right. I've worked with computers since 1980, and I know that are really smart idiots. I've never fully trusted a GPS. That may be why I just use them as a guide and not just blindly follow what they suggest.

I have TomTom on my old Dell PDA and it works great, I just like the idea of having something that is dedicated and I don't have to do anything except maybe turn it on.

GPSs are so cheap now, are people still stealing them?!?!?!

LizardRunner
11-30-2011, 02:57 PM
I have only three GPS units now, all Garmin, one is a Nuvi for the vehicles. I use my hand held units for hunting, fishing and GeoCaching. I tested a Tom Tom, didn't like it but that is probably more because I was already used to the Garmin. I update my maps bi-yearly.

There is a built in 10% error for all GPS units, unless you happen to be using a Military unit, you aren't going to get closer than about 3' to your objective, which is pretty darn good. I have one that has been corrected (Navy) and it does read within 3-6 inches of the target co-ordinates.

Sneedle Vision
11-30-2011, 03:51 PM
I picked up a Garmin 1490LMT from Amazon a couple weeks back for $150.

It has the 5" screen with lifetime maps and traffic. It had the easiest user interface to me. It also came with a window suction mount.

I would buy it again if I was looking. :thumbsup:

4.3LXJ
11-30-2011, 06:43 PM
I was originally going to buy an expensive one for the topographical maps and trail use. But now you can use a smart phone and a $10 app to do the same thing. And I usually have the phone with me anyway. Besides, to use the phone GPS you need to have it plugged into a charger anyway, so I put it in the windshield dock, and can also take vids of the action if I want while the GPS is running.

Firemanray
11-30-2011, 10:26 PM
.......................... break a window on its way out as GPS's tend to do.

That's why "home" on my Garmin is marked at the local law enforcement center.:D I know where I live so I don't need that info in my GPS!