PDA

View Full Version : Starting Issue

Melissa
03-27-2009, 11:25 PM
Okay not really an issue yet.

I have noticed that for the past week it is taking longer for my jeep to fire. It turns right over, but then takes longer to actually start. It was cranking and then almost instantly starting, but now it cranks and cranks then fires.

I don't want it to leave me stranded somewhere, so I thought I would try to find out what is going on before it becomes a real issue

Any thoughts as to what to check out.

Mudderoy
03-28-2009, 10:47 AM
I haven't faced the issue yet, but from what I have read it could be the CPS. If the computer can't get the information from the CPS it doesn't know when to fire the spark to the plug. It may take a few revs for it to get a signal that it likes from the CPS.

Now with that said, it could be other things. I rotor, cap, plugs, etc... A failed CPS will leave you stranded though.

I'm going to replace mine. Soon.

Howler_GT
03-28-2009, 11:41 AM
FIRST: Always good to make sure it's tuned-up properly. Good plugs, wires, cap, rotor...etc. XJ's are very picky when it comes to this stuff.

SECOND: Battery..have it checked to insure its "up-to-snuff" Good cranking does not necessarily mean good starting.

THIRD: CPS can cause such starting issues. Many times its just as simple as unplugging and replugging the connector. Dirt and moisture can get inside and cause a non-contact situation.
I found that using electrical contact cleaner works wonders.
Right now, with the change of seasons, hot,cold,hot,cold causes alot of condensation in the connector. After unplugging, let it "air-out" for a few minutes before reconnecting.

FOURTH: If the above tips do not work, using some loud well chosen expletives helps. Helps, YOU not so much your XJ.

Melissa
03-28-2009, 04:25 PM
Well lets see it just had a tune up when I had the new motor put in about 3,000 miles ago, had a brand new Les Schwab heavy duty battery put in less than 6 months ago, but the weather has been going from rain and 60 degrees to rain and 45 degrees about the time it started starting this way. So I'm thinking then that it must be the CPS. So now, I will try unplugging it and see if this helps.

One more thing an auto repair shop replaced what they called the crankshaft sensor in 2004 after I would be driving down the road and all of a sudden my jeep would just shut down, this is the same as the crankshaft positioning sensor correct? Just worded different?

One last question bear with me, I'm a girl. my CPS and NPS are two completely different sensors correct? I know that my NPS is going as sometimes my jeep wont even turn over in park, but will most times when I put it in neutral, if not I use a jumper when all else fails. Correct me if I'm wrong, theses are two different sensors and have nothing to do with each other, right? Oh is it true that my reverse lights are connected to the NPS and since it only works sometimes that that could be the reason I have not had reverse lights in over a year ( I have tried changing the bulbs )

xjjeepthing
03-28-2009, 04:40 PM
Yes the CPS and NPS are different. The NPS could effect your backup lights. If the CPS was replaced in 2004 in could be going again.

Mudderoy
03-28-2009, 06:03 PM
I don't think it will turn over when the NPS isn't working.

I would be like trying to start it in Drive.

Mudderoy
03-28-2009, 06:16 PM
My NPS acted up, actually it was the only time my check engine light came on. I noticed that the check engine light blinked on and off as I was going from drive to park

I worked the shifter back and forth server times, vigorously, and the check engine light went out and my backup lights started working again, and still do.

Just a thought.

I'm a boy, and that's what we do to fix things some times. :smiley-laughing021:

Melissa
03-28-2009, 07:23 PM
I don't think it will turn over when the NPS isn't working.

I would be like trying to start it in Drive.

It comes and goes, no check engine light comes on but it wont turn over in park alot and even won't turn over in neutral sometimes. It will have no problems at all for weeks on end then all of a sudden won't start again. If I use the jumper it fires everytime.

OMOC
03-31-2009, 09:31 PM
check the back side of coil had customer with same issue and the coil had a crack the size of a canyon. also another customer had the same issue wasnt the coil but it was the ASD relay, another thing to check is the your starter relay ive seen that to. and check the position of you PNS on tranny:thumbsup: