PDA

View Full Version : Your opinon: snorkel

muddeprived
07-08-2009, 09:48 AM
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/muddeprived/vent%20and%20snorkel%20project/PIC-0057.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/muddeprived/vent%20and%20snorkel%20project/PIC-0058.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/muddeprived/vent%20and%20snorkel%20project/PIC-0083.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/muddeprived/vent%20and%20snorkel%20project/PIC-0084.jpg

I'm starting on one of my many summer projects and the goal of this project is to get a real COLD AIR INTAKE that'll take in FRESH (like Subway!) air.. and a little washer fluid for taste.

What's your honest opinion on the looks? I'm trying to do something different than what I did to my TJ:

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/muddeprived/DSCF3324.jpg

I loved the tj setup cuz it would draw quite a crowd and never got my filter wet after it was put on. I'm not sure if it will look right on the cherokee.

I'm trying to figure out the cap size. The black one is 5", the little black one next to the white one is 4" and the white is 6". I'm leaning towards the 5" BUT.....that's a glass bowl from my kitchen. :rotfl2:

So comments, opinions, flames, whatever...throw em at me. :)

Mudderoy
07-08-2009, 09:55 AM
I like the TJ setup, but if I'm going to go to the trouble of cutting a hole in my rig, I'm going all the way up the side with snorkel that is above my head.

Practically I think what you had on the TJ makes sense for 99% of the stuff you might get into, but it's the 1% that'll bite you on the ***.

That's an opinion from a feller that has ZERO experience. ;)

muddeprived
07-08-2009, 10:01 AM
I like the TJ setup, but if I'm going to go to the trouble of cutting a hole in my rig, I'm going all the way up the side with snorkel that is above my head.

Practically I think what you had on the TJ makes sense for 99% of the stuff you might get into, but it's the 1% that'll bite you on the ***.

That's an opinion from a feller that has ZERO experience. ;)

Yeah I like it but dunno how it would look on the xj. The xj is boxy while the tj had a curved hood and pvc was naturally round (curved). I never had the water go up to the windshield wipers so that snorkel would work for not 99% but more like 99.9%. :)

If this was a beater, heck i'd just cut a triangular hole with off-set corners and shove some dryer hose in there to the box and up on the roof held by duct tape but this is my DD and has to be a little "pretty". :boohoo:

One other thing, if i follow the tj setup then it'll have to be on the driver's side. I'm not sure if that's legal since it could be "obstructing my view".

Mudderoy
07-08-2009, 10:07 AM
I think it was over on GO JEEP there is a mod to run it to the vent under the windshield. What's that area called, you know on the cowling between the windshield wipers, and the hood. That would be almost identical heigh wise to what you had on your TJ and invisible.

muddeprived
07-08-2009, 10:12 AM
I think it was over on GO JEEP there is a mod to run it to the vent under the windshield. What's that area called, you know on the cowling between the windshield wipers, and the hood. That would be almost identical heigh wise to what you had on your TJ and invisible.

Yeah hidden cowl setup. Isn't that what belto did with his vacuum cleaner? Although I like how it pulls in fresh air, i'm not into hidden snorkels. I get a peace of mind seeing where my snorkel is so I know to keep it out of the water. What if I hit a wave of mud and it goes up on the hood and into the cowl, or if mud completely entombed my jeep and there's lack of air getting in the cowl. I've had 1" thick coatings of mud on the wrangler more times than I can count and spent $50+ at the carwash too many times. It covers EVERYTHING. With an exterior snorkel, it right there in my view and I can keep a watchful eye on it....plus it looks cool. :D

Mudderoy
07-08-2009, 10:21 AM
Yeah I like the "cool" aspect of it, but I was just thinking about the issue with having the snorkle on the driver's side.

muddeprived
07-08-2009, 10:24 AM
Yeah I like the "cool" aspect of it, but I was just thinking about the issue with having the snorkle on the driver's side.

yeah too much crap under the hood on the passenger side limits me to the driver's side. Technically, the snorkel will be "in my view" but not obstructing it to the point where i can't see a semi-truck in front of me ya know. I just don't know if I will get harassed for it.

Voldemort
07-08-2009, 11:13 AM
I want to do a snorkel but do not want it on all the time so I have to figure out a way to plug the big hole while it is not on?

kmanxj
07-08-2009, 11:17 AM
I like it!!! I wanna do the same!!!!

i got all the stuff to do the belto way lol.

i got some 3" sewer hose and was gonna run it into my cowl but once i took the cover off and saw how much mud got in there i said NO.

got pics of under the hood?

BlueXJ
07-08-2009, 11:30 AM
I think it would not obstruct your view any worse than inspection and registration stickers do here in Texas. mudd I don't know if that is where you Pa guys are required to put your stickers or even if you have stickers. The taller snorkels are kinda expensive and are hard to make a home made one look good on an XJ but that snorkel on the TJ looks like it belongs there from the factory.

muddeprived
07-08-2009, 11:41 AM
I like it!!! I wanna do the same!!!!

i got all the stuff to do the belto way lol.

i got some 3" sewer hose and was gonna run it into my cowl but once i took the cover off and saw how much mud got in there i said NO.

got pics of under the hood?

I didn't do anything under the hood yet. I'm in the planning stages. Gonna start it this week, then work on my bumpstops next week, and so and so on till it's ready for the trip in aug.

muddeprived
07-08-2009, 11:46 AM
I think it would not obstruct your view any worse than inspection and registration stickers do here in Texas. mudd I don't know if that is where you Pa guys are required to put your stickers or even if you have stickers. The taller snorkels are kinda expensive and are hard to make a home made one look good on an XJ but that snorkel on the TJ looks like it belongs there from the factory.

We put our stickers on the driver's side lower corner.

Thanks for the compliment. You should've seen it before it got modded a little...

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/muddeprived/DSCF2466.jpg

:rotfl2:

It was ok at first but then I started getting allergic to it so i redid it.

kmanxj
07-08-2009, 12:33 PM
I didn't do anything under the hood yet. I'm in the planning stages. Gonna start it this week, then work on my bumpstops next week, and so and so on till it's ready for the trip in aug.

well let us know. I hate to be a copier, but a good idea is a good idea.

and my mom has those same bowls lol:smiley-laughing021:

Melissa
07-08-2009, 03:27 PM
You know anyway you end up doing your snorkle, it's gonna look good

I love the look of snorkles, can't wait to see what you end up doing muddeprived

muddeprived
07-08-2009, 07:38 PM
well let us know. I hate to be a copier, but a good idea is a good idea.

and my mom has those same bowls lol:smiley-laughing021:

They make good cereal bowls don't they? :smiley-laughing021:

muddeprived
07-08-2009, 07:40 PM
You know anyway you end up doing your snorkle, it's gonna look good

I love the look of snorkles, can't wait to see what you end up doing muddeprived

What If i routed the pipes out of the fender, up over the hood, down the other side through the fender into the engine compartment, then forward to the grill, back down and up over the front of the bumper then over the hood, up the windshield and then finally all the way to the back hatch and down to connect to the exhaust pipe. Will that look good?

Melissa
07-09-2009, 04:04 PM
What If i routed the pipes out of the fender, up over the hood, down the other side through the fender into the engine compartment, then forward to the grill, back down and up over the front of the bumper then over the hood, up the windshield and then finally all the way to the back hatch and down to connect to the exhaust pipe. Will that look good?

:smiley-laughing021::smiley-laughing021:

Well then it would be unique and one of a kind!!

But still might look good :smiley-scared002:

muddeprived
07-10-2009, 06:27 AM
Ok after spending 25 minutes fighting with the damn wiper:mad0090: I was finally able to take them off and get the cowl cover out of my way. It appears that I cannot route the snorkel over to the passenger side. There's some kind of white "intake" type thingie in there and blocks my planned exit through the cowl. I looked on the driver's side and it seems I can make it around the wiper motor arm and up out of the corner of the windowshield, just like our favorite hummers. I'm gonna use the cereal bowl and make it a low profile snorkel.

Tomorrow there will be a big HOLE in my cowl. :popcorn:

Anyone have ideas on how to make a hole on the backside of the intake box? It seems rather small and I can't fit a 3" flex hose on it. I gotta figure something out. I may have to shrink the entrance a little to fit in that small backside or something.

BlueXJ
07-10-2009, 07:31 AM
Well if it looks as well done as your hood vents, then it will be a snorkle to be proud of.

Voldemort
07-10-2009, 08:21 AM
Quick question why can't you put it on the driver's side?

muddeprived
07-10-2009, 09:56 AM
Quick question why can't you put it on the driver's side?

We're not allowed to have anything obstruct the view of the inspection stickers or our driving view. My dad told me long ago when I was thinking of doing it on my truck. I never really looked into it but my dad is usually right.

I'm setting mine up on the driver's side, BUT low profile so it doesn't get in the way of anything but I can still see it.

muddeprived
07-10-2009, 10:00 AM
I went out and spent $44. Less than the $60 it cost me to build the tj's snorkel.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/muddeprived/cherokee/SNORKEL/DSCF6305.jpg

I got the cat on the buy 2 duct connectors get a cat free. So that was a bonus. She's good at testing how sharp the hole saws are and i guess it's sharp enough to hurt. :thumbsup:

It's either gonna be like this with a cereal bowl:

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/muddeprived/cherokee/SNORKEL/DSCF6306.jpg

or this with a regular pvc cap, similar to hummer's. It's gonna be black if chosen:

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/muddeprived/cherokee/SNORKEL/DSCF6307.jpg

Above my thumb is what's going to be protruding out of the jeep. It's only about 4 1/2" to 5" tall. the extension that's under the cap won't be that tall either, you won't see it basically.

I'm leaning towards the cereal bowl but can you drill through pottery? :rotfl2: It follows the boxy shape of the xj better than the round one but I'll be able to change them easily if i end up disliking one or the other.

Mudderoy
07-10-2009, 11:20 AM
The cereal bowl has more style. :D

muddeprived
07-10-2009, 11:37 AM
The cereal bowl has more style. :D

:thumbsup:

Funny thing is the paint on the bowl is awfully similar to the xj's paint.

muddeprived
07-11-2009, 07:35 AM
Honest opinions needed. Does this look funny at all?

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/muddeprived/vent%20and%20snorkel%20project/PIC-0064.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/muddeprived/vent%20and%20snorkel%20project/PIC-0065.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/muddeprived/vent%20and%20snorkel%20project/PIC-0063.jpg

I couldn't get it on the edge like I wanted to because of the damn hood hinges block the area through the cowl so I can't fit 3" hose in there. I have to make the hole before the hinge which is right where it is now. I didn't drill the hole for that one yet but I did drill it in the engine bay through the cowl.

So..does it look funny?

xjjeepthing
07-11-2009, 12:24 PM
I think I like the round cap better. I like the whole snorkel Idea

muddeprived
07-11-2009, 12:44 PM
I think I like the round cap better. I like the whole snorkel Idea

Cool I'm gonna paint the round one black and test fit it.

Melissa
07-11-2009, 01:09 PM
I think it looks good where you have it, but I'm with jeepthing, round cap

Mudderoy
07-11-2009, 04:55 PM
Too short needs to be taller. Like on your old Wranger.

You can't hardly see it!

muddeprived
07-11-2009, 07:51 PM
Too short needs to be taller. Like on your old Wranger.

You can't hardly see it!

It will probably be an inch or two taller. That's setup without the extension that is removable.

kmanxj
07-11-2009, 10:38 PM
looks good!!!!!!

now come do mine

muddeprived
07-12-2009, 02:18 AM
looks good!!!!!!

now come do mine

LOL. If you can cut 4" holes with a drill then you can do this easily. ;)

muddeprived
07-12-2009, 09:11 AM
All done:

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/muddeprived/PIC-0146.jpg

xjjeepthing
07-12-2009, 11:33 AM
I like it , LOL

muddeprived
07-12-2009, 08:08 PM
I like it , LOL

:smiley-laughing021:

Melissa
07-12-2009, 08:20 PM
All done:

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/muddeprived/PIC-0146.jpg

Uhhh...................uummmm..................... ...........

Holy crap!!! that thing looks like it should be on a semi :thumbsup:

muddeprived
07-12-2009, 08:46 PM
Uhhh...................uummmm..................... ...........

Holy crap!!! that thing looks like it should be on a semi :thumbsup:

:rotfl2::rotfl2:

it's from a rent-a-center truck. :rotfl2:

and its' NOT what Im using.

kmanxj
07-12-2009, 08:55 PM
4" huh? i was gonna use 3" when i did mine

Melissa
07-12-2009, 08:58 PM
:rotfl2::rotfl2:

it's from a rent-a-center truck. :rotfl2:

and its' NOT what Im using.

I figured you were pulling our legs, but I do kind of like it :rotfl2:

muddeprived
07-12-2009, 08:58 PM
4" huh? i was gonna use 3" when i did mine

Yeah the hole is 4", pvc is 3". I'm using a rubber gasket around the hole and it shrinks it down to about 3 1/4" so it's all good. you can see it on the picture of my wrangler on page one. There's a rubber hose seal around the snorkel. that's a 4" hole and 3" pvc too.

kmanxj
07-12-2009, 09:02 PM
wered you get that from.

muddeprived
07-12-2009, 09:13 PM
wered you get that from.

get what? .....

kmanxj
07-12-2009, 09:18 PM
the gasket deal

muddeprived
07-12-2009, 09:19 PM
the gasket deal

the rubber seal? It's just a hose cut open on one side and slipped over the hole. I couldn't find any real 4" gasket but this works and looks like it was made for it.

kmanxj
07-12-2009, 09:40 PM
saweet

got pics under the hood and in the cowl yet?

muddeprived
07-12-2009, 11:43 PM
saweet

got pics under the hood and in the cowl yet?

yeah but the secret files cannot be exposed until the science project is finished. :)

i found three more of these bowls so im gonna whip together three kits with everything i used down to the screws and sealant then sell the kits to whoever wants em. there's only three so i. not gonna become a vender or anything, just sell the kits like a used part. Think they would sell?

Melissa
07-13-2009, 12:24 AM
yeah but the secret files cannot be exposed until the science project is finished. :)

i found three more of these bowls so im gonna whip together three kits with everything i used down to the screws and sealant then sell the kits to whoever wants em. there's only three so i. not gonna become a vender or anything, just sell the kits like a used part. Think they would sell?

I'd think they would sell, what kind of price tag you talking about??

muddeprived
07-13-2009, 02:13 AM
I'd think they would sell, what kind of price tag you talking about??

I dunno yet:

Here's what would be included.

1 ft 3" pvc (black or white)
2- 90 degree fittings
8ft of flex hose
2 flex hose adapters
cereal bowl
captain crunch or cocoa puffs
1/2" rubber crankcase hose for grommet
4" hole saw and drill bit
Dremel cutting bit
tube or sealant
screws and brackets

You will need to have paint, hands, brain, eyes, and a jeep of course.

It should have everything you need to do the job.

kmanxj
07-13-2009, 05:35 AM
id think you would be able to off them :thumbsup:

muddeprived
07-13-2009, 07:47 AM
Well now there is only two left. Weird thing happened. I tried to drill through this glass bowl. I got about 1/16th deep and stopped for a couple minutes to get something to drink. My gf picks up the bowl and all of a sudden it EXPLODES!

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/muddeprived/DSCF6339.jpg

she wasn't squeezing it or anything. It just EXPLODED! I guess drilling is not an option so out came the jb weld.

kmanxj
07-13-2009, 08:22 AM
lol DANG!!!!

Melissa
07-13-2009, 01:43 PM
I dunno yet:

Here's what would be included.

1 ft 3" pvc (black or white)
2- 90 degree fittings
8ft of flex hose
2 flex hose adapters
cereal bowl
captain crunch or cocoa puffs
1/2" rubber crankcase hose for grommet
4" hole saw and drill bit
Dremel cutting bit
tube or sealant
screws and brackets

You will need to have paint, hands, brain, eyes, and a jeep of course.

It should have everything you need to do the job.

Well that leaves me out, no paint or brains :smiley-laughing021:

Well now there is only two left. Weird thing happened. I tried to drill through this glass bowl. I got about 1/16th deep and stopped for a couple minutes to get something to drink. My gf picks up the bowl and all of a sudden it EXPLODES!

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/muddeprived/DSCF6339.jpg

she wasn't squeezing it or anything. It just EXPLODED! I guess drilling is not an option so out came the jb weld.

Did she get hurt, glare at you, or cuss??

I have done that before, well not drilling a hole, but set a frozen bowl on a counter and then walked way, came back and it had exploded all over the place :headbag:

Mudderoy
07-13-2009, 01:50 PM
A dremel tool is fast enough to melt a hole in the glass.

muddeprived
07-13-2009, 06:23 PM
I'm just wondering though. Will the bowl take the heat of being outside in the sun?

Mudderoy
07-13-2009, 07:33 PM
I'm just wondering though. Will the bowl take the heat of being outside in the sun?

When you said cereal bowl, I thought it was plastic. No way would I have a hunk of glass hanging out there like that.

muddeprived
07-13-2009, 10:23 PM
When you said cereal bowl, I thought it was plastic. No way would I have a hunk of glass hanging out there like that.

It's actually pretty solid. I remember dropping it once, i made a mess but not from glass. The cereal went everywhere but the bowl survived the drop. I already have it jb-welded to the 3" fitting so I'm kinda stuck using it now. It kinda looks good.

muddeprived
07-14-2009, 07:57 PM
It's pretty much finished except I'm waiting for summit to get me my exhaust wrap to wrap up the ducting going through the engine bay. I need suggestions on what to do about the appearance of the snorkel itself. I used rtv to seal it up so nothing leaks down into the vent underneath and it's showing pretty good. Should i try to paint the lower portion? It kinda looks a bit "off" with the rtv showing.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/muddeprived/DSCF6351-1.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/muddeprived/DSCF6350.jpg

kmanxj
07-14-2009, 08:18 PM
got pics of how it brings air in? i am just not grasping where it goes. And pics under the hood

muddeprived
07-14-2009, 08:33 PM
got pics of how it brings air in? i am just not grasping where it goes. And pics under the hood

LOL. I got this feeling you are gonna steal my design and make millions. :rotfl2: Haha just kidding. That bottom section of the snorkel (with rtv on it) is a 90 degree fitting. It turns towards the center of the cowl. Ducting goes from there out of the firewall to the brake reservoir and then turns to the side of the intake. I moved the electronic gadgets that were parked on the side of the fender and routed another 90 degree fitting into the air box. The hose is removeable at the box in case I need to do engine work. Write-up coming soon, I need to get the ducting wrapped in exhaust wrap first. I don't want to harm your eyes. :rotfl2:

Melissa
07-14-2009, 08:43 PM
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/muddeprived/DSCF6351-1.jpg

:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

I don't think it looks "Off" at all with rtv showing, looks very good!!

Mudderoy
07-14-2009, 09:04 PM
That's really cool. You ought to put that together in a kit and sell it. Even if people see what you did many would rather just have it come in a box read the instructions and install it.

Don't forget the disclaimers!!!

muddeprived
07-14-2009, 09:12 PM
:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

I don't think it looks "Off" at all with rtv showing, looks very good!!

Thanks Melissa. I tested it out in water as long as the shark would allow me. He was closing is pretty fast so i double-timed it outta there!

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/muddeprived/DSCF6351water.jpg

kmanxj
07-14-2009, 09:14 PM
lol somebody said earlier in the thread that it wont be that high. If water was that high on my jeep i would be worrying about all kinds of things lol. I think it is perfect

muddeprived
07-14-2009, 09:14 PM
That's really cool. You ought to put that together in a kit and sell it. Even if people see what you did many would rather just have it come in a box read the instructions and install it.

Don't forget the disclaimers!!!

Hmm. It's an idea but I only have one cereal bowl left. :( My hardware store has four of those round 6" pvc caps though. I could include those in the kid instead. We'll see. This whole mod took me about 6 hours to do. I dunno if anyone interested in working that long but i'll see if there's any demand.

kmanxj
07-14-2009, 09:18 PM
got pics under hood?

Melissa
07-14-2009, 09:19 PM
Thanks Melissa. I tested it out in water as long as the shark would allow me. He was closing is pretty fast so i double-timed it outta there!

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/muddeprived/DSCF6351water.jpg

Should have took him home and had him for dinner :thumbsup:

muddeprived
07-14-2009, 09:24 PM
got pics under hood?

omg you and under the hood. I bet if a guy is talking about a hot chick you will be asking "got pictures of under her skirt?" :rotfl2:

Pictures WILL come after i get the ducting wrapped up in exhaust wrap. Patience my son........

muddeprived
07-14-2009, 09:25 PM

Should have took him home and had him for dinner :thumbsup:

yeah and I would have sold the fin. It's like $300 per pound or something! insane prices they pay for those. Illegal though......

kmanxj
07-14-2009, 09:32 PM
lol

well i am a curious guy lol

muddeprived
07-16-2009, 06:50 AM
lol

well i am a curious guy lol

I noticed. :)

I was planning to get the write-up down today but i made a mistake. My calculations for how much exhaust wrap I will need was a bit......ok...VERY off. I bought 15' x 1" wrap and it only covered about 1.5 feet of the 5 foot hose. :rotfl2:

I just ordered 50'x2" and that should cover it all I hope. Man that shi$ makes you itchy all over.

kmanxj
07-16-2009, 07:03 AM
ha ha lol

way to go!!!!!

muddeprived
07-27-2009, 10:26 AM
Ok I finally am bored enough to make this write-up. This is how you install a Home-Depot snorkel for about $60.

This is what you will need:

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/muddeprived/vent%20and%20snorkel%20project/snorkel%20build/DSCF6305.jpg

What's not in the picture is CrankCase hose from advance auto parts. They have a bunch of hoses in the back and I chose the 1/2" hose. It's like $3 something for 2 feet of it.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/muddeprived/vent%20and%20snorkel%20project/snorkel%20build/PIC-0066.jpg

I ended up using two 90 degree elbows instead of one cuz I made some last minute changes to the airbox mod. I also had 4 feet of PVC laying around to use so you may have to buy some pvc. I would say two feet is enough for this mod.

Now to start it off you need to measure and measure and measure to find where you want to put the hole and then remove the cowl cover and drill. I didn't really follow my own directions, i just pointed at a spot and drilled a hole. :D

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/muddeprived/vent%20and%20snorkel%20project/snorkel%20build/DSCF6323.jpg

It has rubber hose around the cut so i did not end up slitting my wrist and be listed as suicidal. To fit the hose around it, and this is what you use to get the crankcase hose around it too, is to slit the outside of the hose and slide it over the cut:

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/muddeprived/vent%20and%20snorkel%20project/snorkel%20build/DSCF6329.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/muddeprived/vent%20and%20snorkel%20project/snorkel%20build/DSCF6330.jpg

muddeprived
07-27-2009, 10:38 AM
Like all men wish to say, One hole down, two to go.

Next comes the firewall hole. Time to drill another one. Find a spot where you feel a hole would look nice and DRILL:

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/muddeprived/vent%20and%20snorkel%20project/snorkel%20build/DSCF6325.jpg

I left the cut piece attached and just bent it back and painted it. I wanted the option to possibly return this to somewhat stock-ish so that can just be bent back and sealed up.

Check to make sure the hose fits in the hole. You know size does matter in this case. :D

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/muddeprived/vent%20and%20snorkel%20project/snorkel%20build/DSCF6322.jpg

Now would be the time to paint over the freshly cut holes to prevent them from rusting.

Next we take out the air box to drill hole # 3. This takes a bit of time to get the hole where it fits the best cuz there some junk to the right of the airbox that needs to be moved. Find the spot where you want the 90 degree elbow to enter the box and outline it. Cut the hole with whatever you please, and in this case I used a dremel. The hole saw I have is too big for the elbow so you have to custom-cut this hole. No biggie, easy job.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/muddeprived/vent%20and%20snorkel%20project/snorkel%20build/DSCF6332.jpg

See, fits like a glove:

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/muddeprived/vent%20and%20snorkel%20project/snorkel%20build/DSCF6333.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/muddeprived/vent%20and%20snorkel%20project/snorkel%20build/DSCF6334.jpg

Now that you got all the holes drilled, it's time to get the flex hose and snorkel built to be installed.

In the parts picture, you'll see a long 8 ft section of flex hose and two 3" alum adapter fittings or whatever they are called. Put on fitting on each end of the hose and seal it up with silicone:

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/muddeprived/vent%20and%20snorkel%20project/snorkel%20build/DSCF6345.jpg

After you got both ends done, cut a 3" piece of pvc and silicone it on one end over the fitting:

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/muddeprived/vent%20and%20snorkel%20project/snorkel%20build/DSCF6346.jpg

While you got the silicone out, seal up the elbow on the air box:

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/muddeprived/vent%20and%20snorkel%20project/snorkel%20build/DSCF6344.jpg

and also seal up all the little holes on the bottom of the air box and make a cover for the factory intake hole on front. I used aluminum sheet metal and cut a square piece to fit over the hole and then siliconed it on.

muddeprived
07-27-2009, 10:46 AM
Now is the hardest part of the entire mod, building the snorkel cap.

This is what it will turn out looking like:

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/muddeprived/vent%20and%20snorkel%20project/snorkel%20build/DSCF6306.jpg

I breezed through this part and didn't take enough pictures but it's actually pretty simple to do. You need to make 3 angled brackets out of 1/2" x 5" strips of whatever steel you prefer. I used some leftover steel from my RC build. Bend them up so they are all the time angles and lengths and then bolt them around the inside of the pvc using two screws per bracket:

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/muddeprived/vent%20and%20snorkel%20project/snorkel%20build/DSCF6341.jpg

Once that's done position the bracket/pvc in the middle of whatever cap you choose and use jb-weld to attach them. Let it dry overnight.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/muddeprived/vent%20and%20snorkel%20project/snorkel%20build/DSCF6340.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/muddeprived/vent%20and%20snorkel%20project/snorkel%20build/DSCF6342.jpg

All done:

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/muddeprived/vent%20and%20snorkel%20project/snorkel%20build/DSCF6343.jpg

Will the JB hold? Hell yeah! I can twist the entire thing off the jeep just by grabbing the cap. It's not gonna fall apart for sure. :)

Now it's time to take all these parts out and install them:

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/muddeprived/vent%20and%20snorkel%20project/snorkel%20build/DSCF6347.jpg

muddeprived
07-27-2009, 10:58 AM
You remember that extra 90 degree fitting I got (the one on the table)? Put the newly fabbed up snorkel cap into that fitting. Do not seal this up. This is the removable part of the snorkel. Route the flex hose with the alum fitting through the fire wall and up out of the cowl. Next take that flex hose with the aluminum adapter at the end and silicone it into the other end of the 90 degree fitting. Once that's somewhat dry, push everything back into the the cowl hole. It's difficult but do-able. Take your time.

While the fitting is almost completely in the hole, take that crankcase hose and put silicone on the inside of it through the cut section you made. Place it around the cut. I left on the rubber hose that was already on there previously.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/muddeprived/vent%20and%20snorkel%20project/snorkel%20build/PIC-0068.jpg

You can use silicone or whatever you have to seal up the 90 degree fitting to the crankcase hose. I used RTV silicone that I use for my diffs.

Now You can reinstall the airbox and attach the other end of the flex hose to the 90 degree fitting:

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/muddeprived/vent%20and%20snorkel%20project/snorkel%20build/DSCF6336.jpg

All done:

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/muddeprived/vent%20and%20snorkel%20project/snorkel%20build/DSCF6337.jpg

Think you were done with cutting? Nope, one more thing. You will probably know the cowl cover won't fit now so you need to cut it to fit. Measure 32 times cut once:

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/muddeprived/vent%20and%20snorkel%20project/snorkel%20build/PIC-0071.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/muddeprived/vent%20and%20snorkel%20project/snorkel%20build/DSCF6350.jpg

Now all the hard stuff is done. It's time to touch it up and make it somewhat pretty:

I used regular paint to paint over the RTV that was grey:

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/muddeprived/vent%20and%20snorkel%20project/snorkel%20build/DSCF6404.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/muddeprived/vent%20and%20snorkel%20project/snorkel%20build/DSCF6405.jpg

All done:

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/muddeprived/vent%20and%20snorkel%20project/snorkel%20build/DSCF6352.jpg

Now you can leave the flex hose as is, that's up to you. I chose to get rid of the shiny chrome-like look under the hood and used exhaust wrap over it. It also keeps the air cool as it flows to your intake:

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/muddeprived/cherokee/p0443/DSCF6367.jpg

i still have to remove it and re-do the exhaust wrap so it's nice and neat. It's tough to wrap when it's new.

Dirt Dogg Rydas
07-27-2009, 11:11 AM
Good write up!
looks good specially when you see it along with your vents

96xj
07-27-2009, 12:07 PM
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/muddeprived/vent%20and%20snorkel%20project/PIC-0057.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/muddeprived/vent%20and%20snorkel%20project/PIC-0058.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/muddeprived/vent%20and%20snorkel%20project/PIC-0083.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/muddeprived/vent%20and%20snorkel%20project/PIC-0084.jpg

I'm starting on one of my many summer projects and the goal of this project is to get a real COLD AIR INTAKE that'll take in FRESH (like Subway!) air.. and a little washer fluid for taste.

What's your honest opinion on the looks? I'm trying to do something different than what I did to my TJ:

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/muddeprived/DSCF3324.jpg

I loved the tj setup cuz it would draw quite a crowd and never got my filter wet after it was put on. I'm not sure if it will look right on the cherokee.

I'm trying to figure out the cap size. The black one is 5", the little black one next to the white one is 4" and the white is 6". I'm leaning towards the 5" BUT.....that's a glass bowl from my kitchen. :rotfl2:

So comments, opinions, flames, whatever...throw em at me. :)

:cop:where did the black xj get his hood vents from ???:cop:

kmanxj
07-27-2009, 12:24 PM
LOOKS GOOD!!!! now come do mine!!!

muddeprived
07-27-2009, 12:59 PM
:cop:where did the black xj get his hood vents from ???:cop:

Westmarine.com ;)

muddeprived
07-27-2009, 01:00 PM
LOOKS GOOD!!!! now come do mine!!!

LOL

Are they even practical for your style of wheeling? Are you gonna drown in sand? :rotfl2:

kmanxj
07-27-2009, 01:32 PM
HEY there are alot of water holes in the dunes lol.

And i went and got muddy this weekend and am going to again a little bit this week while camping so shush!!! lol and the cold air wouldn't hurt at all.

muddeprived
07-27-2009, 01:52 PM
HEY there are alot of water holes in the dunes lol.

And i went and got muddy this weekend and am going to again a little bit this week while camping so shush!!! lol and the cold air wouldn't hurt at all.

If you weren't so far away I'd help you do it. :)

Melissa
07-27-2009, 02:28 PM
Nice write up muddeprived, looks good!!

kmanxj
07-28-2009, 05:08 AM
awwwww thanks buddy. Now my main question is is why the steel flex hose why not some rubber?

muddeprived
07-28-2009, 06:26 AM
awwwww thanks buddy. Now my main question is is why the steel flex hose why not some rubber?

That's what I wanted but I can't seem to find it anywhere. If you know of any place that sells it, please share. :)

kmanxj
07-28-2009, 07:41 AM
i have 3" RV sewer hose (i found some laying around the shop) but i saw it at Wal Mart too.

Punisher
07-28-2009, 07:48 AM
:thumbsup:You did a nice job there... but do you really get into the deep of water? I hate to have to clean my carpet lol... I'd like to have one above my head too just incase of a flood in Florida from the hurricanes... but just to go out an play in the water I wouldn't, unless I have a beater to play in but this is my everyday driver... but anyways you did a great job.. and I've seen rubber hose somewhere around here if I find any I'll let ya know...:thumbsup:

muddeprived
07-28-2009, 07:49 AM
i have 3" RV sewer hose (i found some laying around the shop) but i saw it at Wal Mart too.

I checked my china-mart for the hose and all they had was 2" white drainage hose or something. I found rubber flex hose online but it was like $12 per foot. I need about 7 feet and that's too much $$. I want the same stuff ARB uses in their kits.

muddeprived
07-28-2009, 07:52 AM
:thumbsup:You did a nice job there... but do you really get into the deep of water? I hate to have to clean my carpet lol... I'd like to have one above my head too just incase of a flood in Florida from the hurricanes... but just to got out an play I wouldn't just go play in water unless I have a beater to play in but this is my everyday driver... but anyways you did a great job.. and I've seen rubber hose somewhere around here if I find any I'll let ya know...:thumbsup:

THanks! :) No i don't forde water on a daily basis but I like the peace of mind. My first time out in both my TJ and XJ resulted in a wet air filter. The stock breathing location SUCKS so I had to remedy that on both of my rigs. Sometimes I find myself dipping into a big mud hole and the entire front end goes under and if this happens with the stock intake then I'm screwed. I also dig the fact that I'm taking in COOL air instead of the sauna-air under the hood.

Punisher
07-28-2009, 07:52 AM
I used to be a Plumber... why don't you try usein' PVC pipe?

muddeprived
07-28-2009, 07:54 AM
I used to be a Plumber... why don't you try usein' PVC pipe?

I did use 3" pvc pipe and fittings on some of the parts but I don't want the underhood hose to be permanent, or "hard". Using flex hose allows me to move the hose or disconnect it and easily move it out of the way for engine work plus the 3" PVC piping won't fit with the hood shut.

Punisher
07-28-2009, 07:56 AM
THanks! :) No i don't forde water on a daily basis but I like the peace of mind. My first time out in both my TJ and XJ resulted in a wet air filter. The stock breathing location SUCKS so I had to remedy that on both of my rigs. Sometimes I find myself dipping into a big mud hole and the entire front end goes under and if this happens with the stock intake then I'm screwed. I also dig the fact that I'm taking in COOL air instead of the sauna-air under the hood.

Yeah you got a point for the kool air... and when I had my YJ I took in water and hydro locked the motor just by hit a deep spot flooded area and that sucks... but that was my jeep i dont mind takeing it into the lake but just never had a snorkel for it...

kmanxj
07-28-2009, 07:58 AM
oh i think the stuff i have is 2.5" but it is pretty tuff stuff. I think that there might be some more upstairs. want me to look for ya?

muddeprived
07-28-2009, 08:03 AM
oh i think the stuff i have is 2.5" but it is pretty tuff stuff. I think that there might be some more upstairs. want me to look for ya?

Wouldn't hurt to look. Thanks man.

muddeprived
07-28-2009, 08:05 AM
Yeah you got a point for the kool air... and when I had my YJ I took in water and hydro locked the motor just by hit a deep spot flooded area and that sucks... but that was my jeep i dont mind takeing it into the lake but just never had a snorkel for it...

Been there, done that, except I didn't hydrolock. I sunk it in a pond and got water/fish/coal in everything that had fluid. Motor kept on chugging (my good ol' 2.5L) though. After that incident, and $700 in flushing spent, and i made a snorkel and routed all my breather lines up into the snorkel. I also made a breather for the 3sp auto, which had a breather HOLE but not breather hose. Goofy. That required removing the entire transmission from the TJ. Lots of work but worth the peace of mind during the next submarine session.

Punisher
07-28-2009, 08:26 AM
wow i hate it when you get water in the fluids i was lucky that didnt happen to me

kmanxj
07-28-2009, 09:09 AM
looks like ive only got about 4 feet. I cut about 3 off wen i was goin to just run it into the cowl right behind the filter box. Which i still may do since it wont sit up that high and im in michigan lol

mizedog
01-05-2010, 06:39 PM
Great write up. But I couldn't help...
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/Mizedog/untitled.jpg

muddeprived
01-05-2010, 09:52 PM
Great write up. But I couldn't help...
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/Mizedog/untitled.jpg

Don't worry I fixed him up. :)

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/muddeprived/robot.jpg

Four_X_What
06-04-2010, 03:23 AM
I'm sure there are copyright laws or whatever. But I just realized something. My friends dad owns a manufacturing company here in Houston. They make anything out of plastic or fiberglass, metal etc. And obviously they are amazing with Auto Cad and that form of design. I'm gonna see if his dad can make me one like the Airflow. If so Ill post it up and let y'all know.

XJ4IV
06-04-2010, 06:55 PM
how did you open your hood all the way???http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/muddeprived/DSCF3324.jpg

muddeprived
06-04-2010, 07:38 PM
how did you open your hood all the way???http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/muddeprived/DSCF3324.jpg

:rotfl2:

That's the question I was asked alot lol. The snorkel piece you see pops off and then the hood opens.

XJ4IV
06-04-2010, 10:41 PM
OH:smiley-gen165:

XJ4IV
06-04-2010, 10:47 PM
BTW I really like the way the snorkel looks and I would SOOOOO jack your idea but lol I hate going in water that deep... gotta remove ALLL my seats AND carpet then shop vac it ... then FIND new padding cause the factory stuff is SHOT... however I DID come to the conclusion that house carpet padding works GREAT as a sound deadener and its easier to acquire... THEN you gotta take the carpet to get pressure washed then WAIT there until it is dried enough to put BACK in your jeep and then replace all the seats and not to mention that PITA center console... these XJ's are freaking swiss cheese when it rains really bad I actually get a drip one every ten or so minutes of water on my FOOT... SERIOUSLY???
anyhow I shoulda bought a rambler

muddeprived
06-04-2010, 10:51 PM
BTW I really like the way the snorkel looks and I would SOOOOO jack your idea but lol I hate going in water that deep... gotta remove ALLL my seats AND carpet then shop vac it ... then FIND new padding cause the factory stuff is SHOT... however I DID come to the conclusion that house carpet padding works GREAT as a sound deadener and its easier to acquire... THEN you gotta take the carpet to get pressure washed then WAIT there until it is dried enough to put BACK in your jeep and then replace all the seats and not to mention that PITA center console... these XJ's are freaking swiss cheese when it rains really bad I actually get a drip one every ten or so minutes of water on my FOOT... SERIOUSLY???
anyhow I shoulda bought a rambler

I don't do deep water crossings. it's there as a precaution in case it ever happens, and I like the thought of cool air coming in. Most of the time I limit it to bumper height and any deeper I go around.

XJ4IV
06-04-2010, 10:59 PM
good point... kinda like dante's peak JUST IN CASE therefore I MUST do it for functional cosmetics did you see any boost in MPG?

muddeprived
06-04-2010, 11:05 PM
good point... kinda like dante's peak JUST IN CASE therefore I MUST do it for functional cosmetics did you see any boost in MPG?

Nah, no improvement.