PDA

View Full Version : YJ's why the hate?

XJMJeep
11-11-2011, 12:02 AM
I've been looking at a few over the passed few months and I've been thinking about buying one.
People (on forums anyway) have no love and I'd love to know why.

jccatt
11-11-2011, 12:04 AM
Square lights lol

Sent via Tapatalk

XJMJeep
11-11-2011, 12:07 AM
Square lights lol

Sent via Tapatalk

That's kinda what I was thinking! :out:

cantab27
you like em ...thats all that matters.....think they are cool meself.....v8 it..........

bigjim350
I wouldn't say I hate em. But dont think i would buy one. The years that they were produced were the years where its hard to find a good drivetrain. Plus I don't care much for the suspension on them. I don't mind leafs, I just dont like the ones that are on the yj's. Cant seem to find a decent yj around here for less than 4k, for a little more I can get a nice TJ, or for a lot less I can get a hell of a XJ.

XJMJeep
11-11-2011, 12:16 AM
Price on any Willys / CJ / Wrangler is crazy, at least here in WA it is

OrangeXJ
11-11-2011, 04:01 AM
go with a TJ the suspenion is much better. I had a CJ and it had front leaf springs like the YJ and it road like a tank and did not handle good on the street.

default83
11-11-2011, 06:39 AM
Square lights lol

Sent via Tapatalk

x2, plus the dash and interior is not very attractive, the whole "80's" styling i think, just turns people off.

DETOURS
11-11-2011, 06:47 AM
I had 2 of them, liked them very much.
I find it hard to stomach how much people think they're worth. :smiley-scared002:

XJMJeep
11-12-2011, 02:37 AM
go with a TJ the suspenion is much better. I had a CJ and it had front leaf springs like the YJ and it road like a tank and did not handle good on the street.

I ran a 1978 K5 for years with leafs all around, no the ride ain't great but when building an off road rig is the ride really what your going for?

x2, plus the dash and interior is not very attractive, the whole "80's" styling i think, just turns people off.

Ummm using 80's styling as a basis what is an XJ? Older than a YJ by 3yrs

bluedragon436
11-12-2011, 04:38 PM
I think it is because they look at it as being an "outcast" for the Wranglers.. why I don't know... I mean if I had the money to purchase a Wrangler.. especially up here where I'm at.. I'd save a few more bucks (not many more at that) and pick up a TJ.. but that is because as Jim stated.. people here want way too much for a bone stock YJ.. and for just a tad bit more I could find a decent TJ to build up.. not to mention way more aftermarket support for them over the YJ's..

jccatt
11-14-2011, 01:01 AM
Wranglers have round lights, yj has square lights. Yj=outcast

Sent via Tapatalk

4.3LXJ
11-14-2011, 09:57 AM
Actually, if I was going to get a Wrangler and mod it cheap, I would get the YJ. A spring over and tires and you have a very capable rig.

XJ Wheeler
11-14-2011, 10:04 AM
I got no problem with them but would go with a tj. If i did get one i would insist on the 4.0l.

bluedragon436
11-15-2011, 06:23 AM
Actually, if I was going to get a Wrangler and mod it cheap, I would get the YJ. A spring over and tires and you have a very capable rig.

Don't get me wrong... if I could find one for a decent deal, and not anywhere close to the range that I could darn near pick up a TJ.. I would def pick one up and build it.. I have been looking at the SOA setups and have researched them quite a bit as far as common issues, etc.... But if I had the money to spend, and that wouldn't be a whole lot more than what most want for a YJ up here anyways.. I would just pick up a TJ..

prerunner1982
11-15-2011, 11:02 AM
The YJ is probably one of the few Jeeps I wouldn't have a problem hacking up to make a crawler out of. I just don't think I could bring myself to hack up a CJ... and since a TJ is still not "cheap" to me, if I had one it would be my daily driver. But the ugly duckling.... being my least favorite wouldn't be an issue. Of course I am contemplating hacking the fenders on my XJ, so I guess that makes the XJ my 2nd least favorite? :mel::headbag:

XJ4IV
11-15-2011, 11:48 AM
I love the YJ's, no im not a huge fan of the leaf springs however what I like about em is that they are a fine medium between a looker and a fighter, Im not afraid to tear it open and build it up where as a TJ looks to nice to beat up ,
if I owned one Id do coilovers on all corners and go to about 5 inches of lift with 38's and DEFINTELY stretch the wheelbase about 10 inches or so somehow.

dagr8tim
11-15-2011, 03:44 PM
I've been stalking a hard top early YJ for nearly 2 years. It's sitting in a driveway up the street from my baby sitter. I stopped and talked to the guy once and he said it wasn't for sale.

With having the XJ, I'd love to go the other direction with a YJ. A pavement princess to drive around with the top down.

xj4life2
11-17-2011, 01:36 PM
Pavement princess is right ...... can you say Barbie Jeep ??? YJ stands for Yuppie Jeep. :D

dagr8tim
11-17-2011, 01:39 PM
Pavement princess is right ...... can you say Barbie Jeep ??? YJ stands for Yuppie Jeep. :D

That's why I own an XJ. Because I wanted a *real* Jeep. A YJ would be a nice toy to have in addition.

bigjim350
11-17-2011, 04:25 PM
I've been stalking a hard top early YJ for nearly 2 years. It's sitting in a driveway up the street from my baby sitter. I stopped and talked to the guy once and he said it wasn't for sale.

With having the XJ, I'd love to go the other direction with a YJ. A pavement princess to drive around with the top down.

Hmm I'd figure you were a bit too old for a baby sitter

Sent from my VM670

xj4life2
11-17-2011, 04:55 PM

Sent from my VM670

Toooo Funny !!!!!!!

dagr8tim
11-17-2011, 06:08 PM

Sent from my VM670

No, but my 3 year old twins and 3 month old do.

XJMJeep
11-18-2011, 11:43 PM
So anyway back to the topic.

The dislike comes from square headlights, leafs in the front and an 80's styling.

Hmmm :out:

JENSSEN
11-19-2011, 12:19 AM
Carburetors ,... need I say more?

XJMJeep
11-19-2011, 12:31 AM
Carburetors ,... need I say more?

That was only on the 4.2L though
Trust me I understand the dislike of carburetors, my old K5 use to starve on steep inclines.
That's why I traded it for an XJ!

Cornstalks
11-22-2011, 08:37 AM
Hey, I like em all! Started with a 74 Wagoneer, then bought a 95 Wrangler and drove the wheels off of it. SOld it to a buddy and he's still driving it. Also had a 90 2 door XJ for a while, now the wife is in a 04 Wrangler. We left Jeeps for a few years after the boy was born. And I just bought an 88 XJ last week to play with. But I digress, I loved the YJ. Never understood the hate, either.

Mudderoy
11-22-2011, 08:53 AM
I've always liked Jeeps. It wasn't until recently that I found out what a YJ was. I did hear that the YJ's had issues, not sure from who or if that was correct, maybe just one person's opinion.

I've always thought of a Jeep as a rugged off road vehicle. I guess this is why I'm so prejudice against the Jeeps I don't consider rugged off road vehicles. I know they need to keep the company going but IFS and 2WD, ahhhh no.

I can't believe they are selling Wranglers in 2WD versions now. It just ain't right I tell you.

dagr8tim
11-22-2011, 08:58 AM
I've always liked Jeeps. It wasn't until recently that I found out what a YJ was. I did hear that the YJ's had issues, not sure from who or if that was correct, maybe just one person's opinion.

I've always thought of a Jeep as a rugged off road vehicle. I guess this is why I'm so prejudice against the Jeeps I don't consider rugged off road vehicles. I know they need to keep the company going but IFS and 2WD, ahhhh no.

I can't believe they are selling Wranglers in 2WD versions now. It just ain't right I tell you.

They've been selling 2WD Jeeps since the 50's. I see alot of people complaining on other Jeep sites about the difficulty of finding a 4WD XJ.

XJ Rat
11-22-2011, 08:59 AM
There is no hate per say (besides the square headlights on a Jeep). By comparing a TJ to a YJ, new technology is being compared to old. YJ's use leaf srings. They can be made to work excellent, but horse drawn buggies used that technology.

I remember years ago when my TJ was new (98). The Jeep club I belonged to was 90% YJs, 9.9% XJs and .1% TJs (at that time). YJ owners commented to me they were impressed how effective the stock coil spring suspension was at keeping the tires on the ground. Their YJs lifted tires off the ground, but my TJ motored over the obstacles keeping the tires in contact with the ground.

Ergonomics - some people love the YJ interior, others hate it. Same with the TJ. Filling a YJ with gas can sometimes be a challenge, especially on the uneven trail. Not so with the TJ. Drive em both on the street. Sorry, the TJ wins hands down. The coil springs offer a much better ride than the leaf springs.

What it boils down to, get what you prefer. Take it out on the trail, discover shortcomings, and modify from there. A Jeep is a Jeep. No matter what, there will always be campfire discussions. Now if you get a 'Japanese Jeep' we can talk trash :D.

jccatt
11-22-2011, 03:53 PM
What about an Indian Jeep. Mahindra bought CJ3 design from jeep and put a 4 pot diesel in it. There was also the Asia Rocksta

Green Jeep Mobile

dagr8tim
11-22-2011, 06:55 PM
What about an Indian Jeep. Mahindra bought CJ3 design from jeep and put a 4 pot diesel in it. There was also the Asia Rocksta

Green Jeep Mobile

Lot's of countries have licensed the Jeep:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeep#Jeeps_around_the_world

LizardRunner
12-27-2011, 03:16 PM
We have a few of these going rock crawling but most just see the deer woods trails that I run with my XJ. In Arkansas, the owners seem to think they are made of gold, we looked at a few YJ's before we found the XJ we ended up buying for less than 1/2 the cost of the cheepest YJ we looked at. TJ's seem to be only made of silver so I just might end up getting one of those for dd use when I get finished with da Lizard build. Yes the 4 corner leafs are rough riding but so were the CJ's. If I could find one I'd do like Steve says and go coil overs just so I would sill have my kidneys in the place they started out at the end of the day. Wifey has turned her eyes towards a TJ since we can't seem to locate a decient XJ for her. I personally have not met an older Jeep that I don't like.

dagr8tim
12-27-2011, 03:17 PM
We have a few of these going rock crawling but most just see the deer woods trails that I run with my XJ. In Arkansas, the owners seem to think they are made of gold, we looked at a few YJ's before we found the XJ we ended up buying for less than 1/2 the cost of the cheepest YJ we looked at. TJ's seem to be only made of silver so I just might end up getting one of those for dd use when I get finished with da Lizard build. Yes the 4 corner leafs are rough riding but so were the CJ's. If I could find one I'd do like Steve says and go coil overs just so I would sill have my kidneys in the place they started out at the end of the day. Wifey has turned her eyes towards a TJ since we can't seem to locate a decient XJ for her. I personally have not met an older Jeep that I don't like.

Around here anything that the top comes off of is made of gold and encrusted in diamonds.

xjrev10
12-31-2011, 11:24 AM
Gotta look for that uber rare 96 model :)

Seriously tho, I like em. Give me the newest one that can be found with a AX15 and I'd drive it.

TeXJ
03-03-2012, 10:39 PM
haha @ 96 wrongler!

I've had a few YJ's and I love them. But like others have pointed out, they can be expensive. You can find some pots of gold. I was sooo close to building a YJ, it was a 91 model and all I needed to get started was a d30 with 4.10's. Then I was going to get a 8.8 with 4.10s and then do a spring over. They do ride rough due to a couple of reasons. One short wheel base and leaves. Also, if they are still connected, swaybars, they flex about like a IFS. But they have the same drivetrain that XJ/TJ's have/had. They do have the axle disconnect on the d30s, but no big deal. The autos are really hard to find.

But apparently i have an infatuation with square headlights on jeeps. I've never had a TJ and if they come down in price they would be a nice ride to have as well.

girlyjen78
03-21-2013, 12:17 PM
I love my YJ! I love having the square headlights and one of my favorite parts of mine IS the dash! :D

Carves
03-21-2013, 04:31 PM
Read some stuff in a coupla books a while back ...

NannyStaters back in the day - were complaining about high c.o.g. vehicles .... so the YJ was a "politically correct" Jeep, built lower to address the alleged safety issues ... and given a revamp in looks so it was seen as an all "new" vehicle without the issues of past ones.

Another book attributed its "girly jeep" branding to the lower suspension stance and better interior.

Seems tho, according to the articles ... On average - The YJ was a vast improvement over previous models and good to mod.

.... except maybe for those attrocious looking, big wheelarch flares, some of them had .. :rotfl2:

Books were ...

Jeep ... by Jim Allen
Joy of Jeep ... by Tom Morr

YJJeepacorn
03-21-2013, 06:18 PM
Read some stuff in a coupla books a while back ...

NannyStaters back in the day - were complaining about high c.o.g. vehicles .... so the YJ was a "politically correct" Jeep, built lower to address the alleged safety issues ... and given a revamp in looks so it was seen as an all "new" vehicle without the issues of past ones.

Another book attributed its "girly jeep" branding to the lower suspension stance and better interior.

Seems tho, according to the articles ... On average - The YJ was a vast improvement over previous models and good to mod.

.... except maybe for those attrocious looking, big wheelarch flares, some of them had .. :rotfl2:

Books were ...

Jeep ... by Jim Allen
Joy of Jeep ... by Tom Morr

Pppffffttttt...... Please! The only difference between a YJ and a XJ is few inches in length & width and a few extra turns in the muffler pipe. At least in my YJ "1991" They have the same engine and tranny, hell even same head lights.
I think its so cute that how people that drive jeep mini vans hate on the YJ... :D

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeep_Wrangler#section_1
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeep_Cherokee_(XJ)

Carves
03-21-2013, 06:51 PM
Pppffffttttt...... Please! The only difference between a YJ and a XJ is few inches in length & width and a few extra turns in the muffler pipe. At least in my YJ "1991" They have the same engine and tranny, hell even same head lights.
I think its so cute that how people that drive jeep mini vans hate on the YJ... :D

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeep_Wrangler#section_1
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeep_Cherokee_(XJ)

I had hate in my post ... :confused::confused:

No wayyyyyy ......

ohhhh :o .... except for the bit about those ugly, bulbous, fibreglass wheelarch flares .. :rotfl2:

I like the look of the little square Renault headlights too .. and I normally refer to my jeep mini van - as an overpowered subaru .. ;) .. :D