PDA

View Full Version : Anybody use Air soft as balancing bb's

kmanxj
07-07-2009, 07:14 AM
Somebody was telling me about it at the dunes. And they are way cheaper than the dang dynabeads. Took my swampers in to get balanced and the guy said it would take a whole box of weights lol.

so this is my new option. Have accese to a tire mounter as well so will be free to put in. And i have one of those buddies that umm has a scale that will weigh ounces lol :smiley-laughing021:

Voldemort
07-07-2009, 09:28 AM
I have never heard of this please explain more?

kmanxj
07-07-2009, 09:36 AM
ill post a link. But you put bb's in the tires to balance them. It does it with centrifigul force. Here is a actually company that makes them.

http://www.innovativebalancing.com/index.html

now the only difference between these and air soft is that the innovative ones are small enough to fit through you valve stem. Airsoft's you have to break the bead.

Heres a thread all about it.

http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=947444&page=4

I am going to put them in there friday

Mudderoy
07-07-2009, 09:37 AM
I've read about it before, and I know there is at least one company out there that sell ceramic beads. What I have read is that your wheel doesn't have any balancing weights on it. The beads "while the wheel/tire is turning" migrates to the area that is out of balance. This continuously balances your wheel/tires. So as your tires wear and would normally require weights to be added, moved, or removed, the beads work through out the life of your tire.

The commercial company that was selling the ceramic beads were targeting 18 wheelers.

Basically you'd order your tires online, maybe wheels as well. Get them at your house, pour "X" amount of beads in the tire and mount them to the wheel. Put them on and drive. No tire shop necessary.

Again this is just based on what I have read, someone feel free to add to or correct me. ;)

Voldemort
07-07-2009, 10:37 AM
I guess that makes sense but what are the benefits as apposed to the outside weights?

quadracer0387
07-07-2009, 10:39 AM
we use them all the time at our tire shop.. they work great. you just have to make sure to put the right amount in

kmanxj
07-07-2009, 11:26 AM
From research it take about 8 to 14 ounces for a 33" tire. And the benefits to these are they go were the weight is really needed. as opposed to on the outside were it just compensates. If you read through that NAXJA thread you will learn alot.

Mudderoy
07-07-2009, 12:12 PM
we use them all the time at our tire shop.. they work great. you just have to make sure to put the right amount in

Do you use the air soft BB's?

kmanxj
07-07-2009, 12:27 PM
i am assuming that they use the actual balancing bb's

my local tire shop wanted $5.50 a bag and i would need two bags a tire. So the 10 bucks for a big thing of airsoft's seem way better.

Mudderoy
07-07-2009, 12:53 PM
http://www.counteractbalancing.com/application1.pdf

Mudderoy
07-07-2009, 01:00 PM
6 oz bad for 32x11.5

http://www.alltiresupply.com/p-CA-6-B-1.html

$8.49 for a 6 oz bag.

kmanxj
07-07-2009, 01:10 PM
airsoft bb's are still cheaper ;)

Mudderoy
07-07-2009, 01:10 PM
airsoft bb's are still cheaper ;)

Have you used them? If you said, I missed it.

kmanxj
07-07-2009, 01:13 PM
nope but after searching many forums people have had no problem with them. And you can cruise down to wally world and get them. Now one problem is with air soft you have to break the bead. Which is no problem if you have access to the right tools. And with the actual balancing beads you just pull the valve stem and put them in.

kmanxj
07-07-2009, 01:44 PM
little explanation video as to how they work

YouTube - DynaBeads demo video by Evolution Cycles

Voldemort
07-07-2009, 03:24 PM
OK but they should not move around in a tire with 30 psi in them ,right?

Mudderoy
07-07-2009, 03:38 PM
OK but they should not move around in a tire with 30 psi in them ,right?

Why not??????

kmanxj
07-07-2009, 06:52 PM
yea they will move around. Why wouldnt they? That is how they work ;)

muddeprived
07-07-2009, 11:40 PM
I guess that makes sense but what are the benefits as apposed to the outside weights?

You are balancing the tires so having the balancing done ON or at the edge of the tire is the best solution and this is what dynabeads do. Once you throw them in you will never have to balance your tires again. They re balance themselves at every stop. I had dynabeads in every set of tires so far except my current mtz's. :thumbsup:

This is what you get:

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/muddeprived/cherokee/beads/DSCF5590.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/muddeprived/cherokee/beads/DSCF5595.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/muddeprived/cherokee/beads/DSCF5592.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/muddeprived/cherokee/beads/DSCF5606.jpg

There are two kinds, regular and off road sized beads. For us the bigger beads are better. The bigger beads don't fit through the valve stem though :(. To get the smaller beads in you drill out your valve stem with a 1/8" drill bit.

Mudderoy
07-08-2009, 12:02 AM
Do you think they are the same as the air soft BBs?

Xtreme XJ
07-08-2009, 12:57 AM
I'm VERY interested in trying the Air Soft pellets also...
I've heard that from a stop you might get a slight lope till the pellets distribute themselves... kinda like you would with a cold bias ply...
I don't believe pressure has anything to do with it...
I asked a friend of a friend and he was familiar with them, he fells in tires under 35" it really didn't have much affect...

I'm hoping to go to 33s and I'm think'n about doing this when I do...

Curt

muddeprived
07-08-2009, 01:04 AM
Do you think they are the same as the air soft BBs?

No, they are smaller. :) But they work the same way.

muddeprived
07-08-2009, 01:07 AM
I'm VERY interested in trying the Air Soft pellets also...
I've heard that from a stop you might get a slight lope till the pellets distribute themselves... kinda like you would with a cold bias ply...
I don't believe pressure has anything to do with it...
I asked a friend of a friend and he was familiar with them, he fells in tires under 35" it really didn't have much affect...

I'm hoping to go to 33s and I'm think'n about doing this when I do...

Curt

I didn't get any ill effects at slow speeds and they balance out around 20-25 mph. You are right, pressure has no effects on the beads. I've run 18 psi and 30 psi with the beads and nothing changed.

The bigger the tire, the more ounces you need. I highly suggest 8 oz in a 32+ sized tire. My 31" swampers didn't do well with 6 oz but when I hit 8oz it was as smooth as you could get a swamper. It's better to have more than you need the first time around than having to do it again and add more. Having extra beads in there doesn't hurt anything. They distribute themselves around the tire and still balance it.

kmanxj
07-08-2009, 05:19 AM
i am going to wallyworld tommorow night to get some then in on friday.
ill let you guys know what i think.

xjarcher
07-09-2009, 03:00 PM
Dynabeads are incredibly popular in the motorcycle world. I'm going to get some when I replace the tire on my Vstrom later this year. I'm sure the guy who mounts my tires will be intrigued. He's a harley guy and they are not much on change. Let us know how the airsofts work!

kmanxj
07-09-2009, 04:05 PM
Will do!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Xtreme XJ
07-24-2009, 12:30 AM
WELL !!! Any update ?? Just leave'n us hang'n... :D

Curt

Mudderoy
07-24-2009, 06:57 AM
WELL !!! Any update ?? Just leave'n us hang'n... :D

Curt

I know. How hard is it to drive to WalMart?

kmanxj
07-24-2009, 07:17 AM
o oops i forgot i did the fronts a week ago!!! worked great!!

i gotta go buy another package to do the pack i will take a pic and show you guys which ones i used when i do it

Mudderoy
07-24-2009, 08:27 AM
Please give some details, like size of tires, what weight in pellets, and did you remove all the balancing weights from the wheels?

Xtreme XJ
07-25-2009, 01:14 AM
Please give some details, like size of tires, what weight in pellets, and did you remove all the balancing weights from the wheels?

YEAH !!! What Mud said !! SLACKER !! :smiley-bounce015:

Curt

BlueXJ
07-25-2009, 01:47 AM
Very interesting concept.................does it work????

COSXJFAN
07-31-2009, 01:32 PM
I wanna give it a try.

quadracer0387
07-31-2009, 01:37 PM
no wheel weights are needed. and approx. 8 ounces for a 32/1150 i believe

96xj
07-31-2009, 01:47 PM
that's pretty cool bit ill stay with my out lead weights :rotfl2::rotfl2:

kmanxj
08-02-2009, 09:41 PM
that's pretty cool bit ill stay with my out lead weights :rotfl2::rotfl2:

why? this actually puts the weight were it is needed. Lead weights put weight in a place to compensate.

and i put these in a 33 12.5 15

and it is about 13 ounces. I still have to buy another one for the rears so i will take a pic when i do that:D

muddeprived
08-03-2009, 07:37 AM
How many containers of them did you use?

kmanxj
08-03-2009, 09:18 AM
1 for the front two. It was a big container of 6500 red BB's from wally world. Costs 10 smackers

COSXJFAN
08-03-2009, 07:18 PM
They running smooth down the road?? Can you tell that they are not "balanced" with lead??

kmanxj
08-03-2009, 09:22 PM
well when i took them into the tire shop they told me it would take 17 ounces a side.

And they run just as smooth as my STT's did with lead weights.

And mind you these are super swampers soo... They are supposed to ride well lol

Mudderoy
08-04-2009, 12:26 AM
I'm hoping this works, if/when I go to 35's I want to just buy the tires and mount them on the wheels myself. Put the BBs in them and go.

warrpath4x4
08-26-2009, 01:18 AM
when you get into the bigger size tires like a 38" tire, the tire shops wont even try to balance them here. a buddy of mine has been running the air soft bb's in his 38" swampers on USA6X6 wheels for 2 years now, and he has no issues even driving down the freeway.

i am planning on doing this with my 31's when i mount my innerairlocks.

there is a calculator that is a "rough" estimate on what size tire will take this many ounces. ill try to find it again.

muddeprived
08-26-2009, 07:10 PM
when you get into the bigger size tires like a 38" tire, the tire shops wont even try to balance them here. a buddy of mine has been running the air soft bb's in his 38" swampers on USA6X6 wheels for 2 years now, and he has no issues even driving down the freeway.

i am planning on doing this with my 31's when i mount my innerairlocks.

there is a calculator that is a "rough" estimate on what size tire will take this many ounces. ill try to find it again.

They list how many ounces to stick in whatever size tire here:

http://www.innovativebalancing.com/BigTirechart.htm

Jeep95XJ
08-27-2009, 05:53 PM
Ever try and balance a bogger? You would have to re balance it every 200 miles if your lucky. For a tire like that these are the only way to go. Nothing else works.

XJ4IV
04-14-2010, 10:47 PM
Im not going to read this whole thread but I do air soft beads on ALL my wheels including my wifes durango and they work great ESPECIALLY for offroad rock bound tires... think of it this way your out rock wheeling one day and tear off a nice size chunk of your shoulder lug... your beads inside will automatically adjust for the missed weight you dont have to do anything but DO make sure when you get back on the road that you air back up to at least 30PSi cause when the beads hit the bottom of the tire during rotation if you are running low pressure it will cause the beads to bounce all over inside your tire thus ruining the concept. it works on centrifugal force

XJ4IV
04-14-2010, 10:49 PM
Buy the can of green air soft bb's at walmart they are called sonic... somthing anyhow for a 33" tire it calls for eight ounces per wheel, You can load more for a more precise balance but I have stuck with 8 oz and never had a real problem

finneys98xj
04-16-2010, 10:06 PM
We just did this to a set of 31x10.50 Wild countrys. We put about 7 ounces of the green(.6g) Airsoft BBs from walmart at 45-50 mph they ride smooth at about 10-15 you can feel them a little. Will let yall know when you get the trackbar and can go over 50 without deathwobble, how the are at highway speeds. Pic to come of tires.`

XJ4IV
04-16-2010, 10:23 PM
I hit 75 plus daily and NEVER have issues FWIW the best part is when your at the drive through and your going so slow that the beads bounce around and the cashier can hear them as you pull up to the window... you get some funny looks

muddeprived
04-17-2010, 02:12 AM
We just did this to a set of 31x10.50 Wild countrys. We put about 7 ounces of the green(.6g) Airsoft BBs from walmart at 45-50 mph they ride smooth at about 10-15 you can feel them a little. Will let yall know when you get the trackbar and can go over 50 without deathwobble, how the are at highway speeds. Pic to come of tires.`

You really should aim for the .12g beads. They work better than the lightweight .6g, unless you put twice the amount of .6g beads.

I threw in 10 oz of .12g airsoft pellets and it's been a good year for swampers. :rotfl2: Always aim for more than what you need. It doesn't hurt to use more cuz they will just distribute themselves around the tire and balance it still.

Here's my write-up from last Novemember:

http://www.cherokeetalk.com/forum/f8/spent-14-95-a-6841/

finneys98xj
04-17-2010, 09:56 AM
You really should aim for the .12g beads. They work better than the lightweight .6g, unless you put twice the amount of .6g beads.

I threw in 10 oz of .12g airsoft pellets and it's been a good year for swampers. :rotfl2: Always aim for more than what you need. It doesn't hurt to use more cuz they will just distribute themselves around the tire and balance it still.

Here's my write-up from last Novemember:

http://www.cherokeetalk.com/forum/f8/spent-14-95-a-6841/

I meant to say .12g I had a brain fart. I had the jeep up to 60 this morning with no death wobble so I'm thinking they help prevent death wobble.

4.3LXJ
04-17-2010, 09:59 AM
Anyone have any thoughts on how these would work with internal bead locks? I would think the beads would get in between the bead lock and side wall and wear a hole in the bead lock.

Xtreme XJ
04-18-2010, 04:58 PM

Are you referring to the SWAYBAR ?? A trackbar can be a culprit in relation to D.W., but my guess is you meant the swaybar... no trackbar would be :sick0004:
I am curious as to their affect on a tire in the less then 33" range... post up in a week or two for an update... once all the frontend pieces are there :D

Curt

finneys98xj
04-19-2010, 02:00 PM
Are you referring to the SWAYBAR ?? A trackbar can be a culprit in relation to D.W., but my guess is you meant the swaybar... no trackbar would be :sick0004:
I am curious as to their affect on a tire in the less then 33" range... post up in a week or two for an update... once all the frontend pieces are there :D

Curt

Runnig stock trac bar now waiting on the adj. trackbar to come. But the airsoft bbs in the 31's we have now are great they have stopped 70% of the DW with the stock trackbar and 3.5 re lift

rockcrusher
04-26-2010, 11:08 AM
I'm going to be doing this as soon as i get my new wheel and tires.

finneys98xj
04-30-2010, 10:12 AM
After two weeks with everything being done. The tires ride great at about 70. will be doing this again.

Xtreme XJ
05-01-2010, 01:46 AM
After two weeks with everything being done. The tires ride great at about 70. will be doing this again.

THANKS ! for the update... give us another one in a month or two...

Curt

XJ4IV
05-01-2010, 09:27 AM
THANKS ! for the update... give us another one in a month or two...

Curt

well I have run these for over a year now and have no abnormal wear on the tires... just keep rotating them on schedule... now if there was a magical way to make the alignment stay perfect all the time

rguignard
05-13-2010, 02:06 PM
i just found this and it might help some of y'all
http://www.innovativebalancing.com/BigTirechart.htm

XJ Rat
05-14-2010, 12:01 PM
I have been running the Dynabeads in my Super Swampers for over 2 years now. Highly recommend these over trying to balance your tires with external weights, especially if you go wheeling and air down your tires. Tire slips on the wheel no big deal, the beads take care of all balancing issues.

About 15MPH you can hear them slushing around, but with the Swampers you really have to listen to hear them. About 20MPH they are set by the centrifugal force of the tire and all noise is gone. I use to have death wobble problems, but with the beads all that is gone.

I broke the beads and poured these in the tires. No way will I pay to have any tires balanced in the future. Dynabeads it is, they work!

Xtreme XJ
05-15-2010, 02:14 AM
I have been running the Dynabeads in my Super Swampers for over 2 years now. Highly recommend these over trying to balance your tires with external weights, especially if you go wheeling and air down your tires. Tire slips on the wheel no big deal, the beads take care of all balancing issues.

About 15MPH you can hear them slushing around, but with the Swampers you really have to listen to hear them. About 20MPH they are set by the centrifugal force of the tire and all noise is gone. I use to have death wobble problems, but with the beads all that is gone.

I broke the beads and poured these in the tires. No way will I pay to have any tires balanced in the future. Dynabeads it is, they work!

THANKS !! glad to hear that this type of "dynamic" balancing seems to work...

Curt