PDA

View Full Version : GC disc brakes

weaselguys
11-02-2011, 06:41 AM
I'm thinking about putting rear discs from a ZJ or WJ on my XJ but I have seen comments on other sites about problems with GC brakes. Do you guys have any issues with your rear disc brakes ? If you do are there certin yrs I should stay away from . I can get a complete rear set up at a local junk yard for $50.00 .

drakan1908
11-05-2011, 09:29 PM
I have a 98 GC and I have never had any problem with mine. I have never heard of anyone having problems. The zj ones should bolt right on if you have a D35. The check valve will need to removed from the master cylinder so the brakes will not drag, the brake shoes need more pressure to be held at the wheel cylinder then discs.

XJ Rat
11-06-2011, 12:44 PM
I have the discs from a 2004 TJ unlimited. They bolted right on. No problems. I mention this because there are more options than just Grand Cherokee disc brakes.

X2 on the check valve. Pull it out and throw it away.

bluedragon436
11-06-2011, 12:54 PM
From what I have read over the last two years that I have been researching this mod.. the GC rear disc brakes will swap over to the D35 or the Ch 8.25 (with some modification to the backing plates).. the only other needed mods would be the proportioning valve from the GC, and the parking brake cables would have to be modified or replaced with the KJ brake cables..

XJ Rat
11-06-2011, 01:02 PM
Yep, parking brake cables. The stock ones are too short.

weaselguys
11-07-2011, 06:30 AM
draken98 that good to hear , I was wondering about the wj brakes. I had seen comments on other sites about GC brake problems but didnt look farther thats why I wanted to hear direct from GC owners.

weaselguys
11-07-2011, 06:35 AM
xj rat you are right there are other options like the ford exploder also , as far as jeeps go tj's are hard to find in junk yards here.

weaselguys
11-07-2011, 06:43 AM
bluedragen436 your right about the d35 and 8.25 I've heard with modification the backing plate will fit the d44 also ,if you have the new style proportioning valve and booster like in my 2001 all you have to do is pull the internal pcs and springs from the GC and swap for the xj ones , ford exploder cables are also a swap in. I figured that $50.00 plus the cost of the e-brake cable would make this a good swap for next year.

Mudderoy
11-07-2011, 12:51 PM
I have the discs from a 2004 TJ unlimited. They bolted right on. No problems. I mention this because there are more options than just Grand Cherokee disc brakes.

X2 on the check valve. Pull it out and throw it away.

Would it be safe to guess that the discs you got were from a Dana 44 that comes OEM on the unlimited?

XJ Rat
11-09-2011, 07:10 PM
Would it be safe to guess that the discs you got were from a Dana 44 that comes OEM on the unlimited?

Yes. Off a 2004 TJ Unlimited to be exact. The TJ owner bent that sorry excuse for a Dana 44. He installed a Dynatrac pro rock 60. Then had the 44 laying in his garage and started comparing the discs to the drums from the XJ. He finally swapped them and they bolted right up, except for the short e-brake cables.