PDA

View Full Version : Android Apps

dagr8tim
10-31-2011, 01:18 PM
I came up with this list originally for another forum and with some help of members over there complied a list of cool Android apps. When I go looking for apps, I try to go free. I think most of this list is free or has a free version.

Unrooted:
GPS/Trail Mapping:
Google My Tracks - Trail Mapping
Back Country Navigator - Trail Mapping
My Tracks - Trail Mapping
Maverick - Trail Mapping
EveryTrail - Trail Mapping
ZP Dashboard - GPS/Virtual Clinometer
Speedometer - Keep track of your speed (I believe it has alerts too)
Endomondo - Great App for out door activites where you want to track your distance (Running/Walking)
Jeep-Adventure-Travel.com
GeoBeagle - Geo Caching App

Memory Manager:
Advanced Task Killer - Memory Manager
Auto Memory Manager - Memory Manager

Tethering:
Easy Teather
PDANet

Games:
Angry Birds - Game
Paper Toss - Game
Slot Machine - Game
Words with Freinds - Game
Basketball Shot - Game

Security:
Lockout

Web Forum Access:
Tapatalk
BBtouch

Utilities:
APKInstaller - Install APK's that are not from the market
Barcode Scanner - Allows scanning of barcodes & QR codes for easy info access
Keyring - Get rid of all of those 'discount' cards on your keyring People have reported not being able to have their barcodes scanned
Carr Matey - GPS app to locate your car with timer for parking meter's
Bubble - A Level app
AppBrain - Android Market Replacement
Beautiful Widgets - Weather, time, calendar, ect....
Astro - File Manager
Color Note - Note taking app that has a checklist feature
MyBackup - Makes backups of apps, data, and contacts
Google Voice - When setup, takes the place of your Voice Mail & transcribes them as a text & email
Mototorch - Flashlight app that also strobes and can send morse code
Special Flashlight - uses flash on camera for a light
Torch - Flashlight App

Music/Entertainment:
Winamp - Plays MP3's & can sync with your music on your PC of you have Winamp installed
Slacker Radio - Music App
Pandora Radio - Music App
Ayal Music Pro

WiFi Apps:
Wardrive - GPS app to map wifi networks

News/Sports/Weather:
ESPN Scorecenter - Sports
Weather Channel - Weather

IM/Communications:
Meebo IM - Multi Platform IM Client
Trillian - Multi Platform IM Client

Camera/Picture:
Retro Camera

Text:
drivesafe.ly - Audioable text messages

Misc:
Flikie wallpaper
3G watch dog - Monitors Data Useage
home switcher - does not work with Android 2.2
Torque - OBDII Code Reader/Diagnostic app
Cargo Decoder - Decode 4 digit DOT placards on containers
Vin Decoder - Decide VIN Numbers
Autozone App - Find the closest store and what they have in stock
Toddler Lock - Great app that puts your phone into airplane mode and allows a toddler to draw on the screen

Rooted:
ROM Manager if you're rooted and a true geek.
Universal Androot (from XDA Developers forum) to get rooted - Only works with Android 2.1

Android Development:
Android SDK (http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html) - Google's official Software Development Kit
dsixda's Android Kitchen (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=633246) - building custom ROMs
APK Manager (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=695701) - decompiling/recompiling APKs for modification

Feel free to add to the list. I'll add all suggestions to the list so that they are all listed at the top of the thread.

XJ Wheeler
10-31-2011, 02:00 PM
I enjoy the game Crawl 4x4, great game with lots of "trails". Several rigs, even a woody xj. Another good game is "Drag Racing" with a lot of different cars and their customizable (mainly performance). For messing with photos i like "Little Photo", it has a fair bit of options and it saves to my gallery.

dagr8tim
10-31-2011, 02:06 PM
I enjoy the game Crawl 4x4, great game with lots of "trails". Several rigs, even a woody xj. Another good game is "Drag Racing" with a lot of different cars and their customizable (mainly performance). For messing with photos i like "Little Photo", it has a fair bit of options and it saves to my gallery.

I just picked up the light version of Crawl. If it looks good, I'll probably snag the pro version.

XJ Wheeler
10-31-2011, 02:08 PM
I just picked up the light version of Crawl. If it looks good, I'll probably snag the pro version.

Yeah, i always go with the free one. Phone bill is high enough, ya know.

dagr8tim
10-31-2011, 02:10 PM
Yeah, i always go with the free one. Phone bill is high enough, ya know.

Dude, you have no idea. 4 lines, with two being Droid's, and unlimited texting on all 4 lines.

XJ Wheeler
10-31-2011, 02:18 PM
:smiley-talk029:-$-:shocker:-:mad:

dagr8tim
10-31-2011, 08:08 PM
Dude, I'm addicted to Crawl 4x4.

bluedragon436
11-01-2011, 07:13 PM
Downloaded Crawl 4x4.. Got addicted to it quick... Had even more fun after I found out there are two cheats for it.. Now I'm driving a fully modified XJ on it..

Two other good apps that I use for geocaching are:
C:geo
Gps status

dagr8tim
11-01-2011, 07:24 PM
I'm down to one trail left on crawl (the 2nd to the last). I've got both buggy's, the XJ, the FC, and a JK. All are modded to the max.

Passt
12-02-2011, 11:40 PM
Wow I had no idea Winamp had an android app and could sync with your PC. I've been running Winamp since Freshman year of college back in 2001 lol. I am downloading this immediately.

XJ4IV
12-03-2011, 01:15 AM
i love Tikl touch... its an app you can use with even iphone users to where you can use your phone like a walkie talkie uses no minutes however SOMEtimes its very delayed up to a minute so dont send time sensitive things LOL
there also a new MP3 download app comes out about every month...
also theres another app called MK remote, you can use your phone screen as a mouse pad for your pc or laptop... REALLY fun to screw with the kids on this one!
MK remote HAS to use wifi and lately mine has not been working very well and you need to download the software on your computer first from devbury.com

toebee97
12-06-2011, 11:45 PM
Memory Manager:
Advanced Task Killer - Memory Manager
Auto Memory Manager - Memory Manager

You don't need either one of those, in fact they are counterproductive and waste your battery.
http://androidspin.com/2010/05/25/why-you-dont-need-a-task-killer-app-with-android/

I've had several Android phones, currently I have an At&t Inspire 4G. It's not the latest and greatest, but I've done some things to it.
Running CyanogenMod (http://www.cyanogenmod.com/) Nightly build #260
ClockworkMod Recovery/Rom Manager Premium (http://www.clockworkmod.com/)
Radio v26.06.06.30
Overclocked to 1.3Ghz
8GB Sandisk class 6 microSDHC card
Too many apps to name, but probably over 100

dagr8tim
12-07-2011, 02:45 AM
You don't need either one of those, in fact they are counterproductive and waste your battery.
http://androidspin.com/2010/05/25/why-you-dont-need-a-task-killer-app-with-android/

That's an old list. While I agree that android handles memory differently than a PC and using a task killer may not be the best route. They are still handy for killing an errant task without going through android's multi step process.

Joliet Johnny
12-07-2011, 03:22 PM
I used to use GPS Spedometer when I had my Pathfinder cause the factory Spedo was stuck at 35

Mudderoy
03-22-2012, 12:53 PM
I thought you guys might find this interesting...

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-LE6zDlU16VM/T2kJdc7Q59I/AAAAAAAAB38/G8FR6L_s9IY/s720/screenshot.jpg

dagr8tim
03-22-2012, 12:56 PM
What app is that?

msmoorenburg
03-22-2012, 02:19 PM
What app is that?

Torq

needs a obdII adapter to work :rolleye0012:

dagr8tim
03-22-2012, 02:22 PM
Torq

needs a obdII adapter to work :rolleye0012:

I have both. I was not aware you could do the clinometer with torque.

Jeep Update - YouTube

msmoorenburg
03-22-2012, 02:23 PM
I have both. I was not aware you could do the clinometer with torque.

Jeep Update - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4t3sS0sxwo)

Not sure on the free version but the paid for its a option

dagr8tim
03-22-2012, 02:24 PM
Not sure on the free version but the paid for its a option

Good thing I have the paid version.

Mudderoy
03-22-2012, 02:59 PM
Good thing I have the paid version.

I'm thinking about contacting the author (again) and see if he can add a image for a XJ.

bluedragon436
03-23-2012, 02:14 PM
That is a pretty nice looking app right there... Might have to look into it.. Does it allow for Code checking too??

jeepin_idaho
07-16-2012, 10:50 PM
That is a pretty nice looking app right there... Might have to look into it.. Does it allow for Code checking too??

Ohhh! Thats a good question! I'm interested in that too!

Mudderoy
07-17-2012, 03:19 AM

Ohhh! Thats a good question! I'm interested in that too!

Of course! :D

thesupercroc
11-06-2012, 11:06 PM
The paid version of Torque is the way to go! I have play with both the paid is way easier to work with and more features. and the price is not bad at all

Infidel Edition
08-07-2013, 05:22 PM
I'm going to have to check out GPS Spedo.
...I know mine's dk'd up.

I've used the Land Nav Assistant and GeoCash a few times to mark junkyard finds for friends.
Also Row52 to find junkyard inventories.