PDA

View Full Version : Door Adjustment

dagr8tim
10-29-2011, 07:17 PM
Tonight the pin that holds the bar that keeps the door from opening too far broke. A friend said it's usually due to the door being out of adjustment and putting pressure on the pin.

The lower portion of the door has always stuck out alittle, but I think the Jeep's been in a wreck and it never really bothered me.

My question is what is the procedure for adjusting the door? Can I just loosen the lower bolts and adjust it in? Do all the hinge bolts need to be loosened? Can I do it without removing the fender?

4.3LXJ
10-29-2011, 08:03 PM
Yes, you can adjust the lower hinge somewhat by loosening the bolts. That pin, and the whole mechanism for that matter doesn't last well. You can buy new ones from Quadratec IIRC. Mine has worn out on the driver side too. It is not from an adjustment issue, it just takes a lot of abuse and fails.

dagr8tim
10-30-2011, 12:00 AM
Yes, you can adjust the lower hinge somewhat by loosening the bolts. That pin, and the whole mechanism for that matter doesn't last well. You can buy new ones from Quadratec IIRC. Mine has worn out on the driver side too. It is not from an adjustment issue, it just takes a lot of abuse and fails.

Thanks, after posting I did a bit more digging. It seems the hinge pins and bushings wear and that causes the doors to sag and not be aligned properly too.

Looks like Rock Auto has the pins & bushings for less than $5 a set. $23 gets me 4 pins & bushings which is enough to do both front doors. I'm not as worried about the rear. Ofcourse my XJ spent the first 8 years of it's life as a fleet jeep, so I have no doubt that the hinges took some abuse.

bigjim350
10-30-2011, 12:02 AM
Adjust your hinges while your doing the doorless mod :D

4.3LXJ
10-30-2011, 11:14 AM
Thanks, after posting I did a bit more digging. It seems the hinge pins and bushings wear and that causes the doors to sag and not be aligned properly too.

Looks like Rock Auto has the pins & bushings for less than $5 a set. $23 gets me 4 pins & bushings which is enough to do both front doors. I'm not as worried about the rear. Ofcourse my XJ spent the first 8 years of it's life as a fleet jeep, so I have no doubt that the hinges took some abuse.

After you get the pins and bushings in, the rest of the adjustment is with spacer shims. You only have to loosen the bolts and slip another shim or two in.

dagr8tim
10-30-2011, 06:24 PM
I'm going to mess with the doors the next nice day I get. I think I'm going to take some chunks of seat belt material from my parts XJ, and use grommets to make new door straps. I figure it's less complex than trying to replace the pin.

I tried to replace the pin today and I think the door strap bar assembly is broken, and won't pull out enough.