PDA

View Full Version : 2 degrees down......will it explode?

muddeprived
07-06-2009, 07:26 AM
What's your front pinion set at? I just set mine at 8 degrees and the driveshaft is at 10 degrees. I had both even previously but i had to improve my caster cuz of the sensitive steering.

I'm not sure of what angles the front driveshaft pinion can tolerate.

crawltech
07-06-2009, 09:43 AM
What's your front pinion set at? I just set mine at 8 degrees and the driveshaft is at 10 degrees. I had both even previously but i had to improve my caster cuz of the sensitive steering.

I'm not sure of what angles the front driveshaft pinion can tolerate.

Try not to measure caster via pinion angle....set your caster angle between 5-7 degrees,and wherever the pinion is(as long as its not pointing down)should be fine........how much lift?...do use t-case drop?....hp30?....what kind of steering issues are u having?

muddeprived
07-06-2009, 09:50 AM
Try not to measure caster via pinion angle....set your caster angle between 5-7 degrees,and wherever the pinion is(as long as its not pointing down)should be fine........how much lift?...do use t-case drop?....hp30?....what kind of steering issues are u having?

I wasn't attempting to measure caster. I extended my lower arms 4 revolutions to increase my caster because I was running a little under 4 degrees. The steering felt very sensitive. The slightest turn really TURNED the jeep. After lengthening the lowers it feels so much better and more firm. I don't know what the caster is now but I did keep an eye on my pinion angles. It was even with the drive shaft previously and now its 2 degrees down. I think it'll be ok but just wanted to make sure.

4" lift
sye/front shaft
low pinion 30.
RC drop brackets and lower adjustable arms.
stock steering, all new.

BlueXJ
07-06-2009, 06:32 PM
Only way to be sure is a road test. I doubt you are going to have a problem with 2* but as you know every XJ is different.

muddeprived
07-06-2009, 06:34 PM
Only way to be sure is a road test. I doubt you are going to have a problem with 2* but as you know every XJ is different.

I did but it's hard to tell cuz of the mtz tires. They feel like tank tracks but...I like :). I'll disconnect the front shaft and drive it again and see if there's a noticeable difference.

BlueXJ
07-06-2009, 06:54 PM
I did but it's hard to tell cuz of the mtz tires. They feel like tank tracks but...I like :). I'll disconnect the front shaft and drive it again and see if there's a noticeable difference.

TRy it with the front DS still on and it in 4WD on a dirt road first. See if it holds up on that test first.
Wonder if this is related to the frame problem in the other thread.

muddeprived
07-06-2009, 06:55 PM
TRy it with the front DS still on and it in 4WD on a dirt road first. See if it holds up on that test first.
Wonder if this is related to the frame problem in the other thread.

Nah, not related cuz after I adjusted it the problem stayed the same. Steering response and tightness improved that's all.

BlueXJ
07-06-2009, 07:00 PM
Shocks are in good shape too?? I wonder if the control arms are too tight.

muddeprived
07-06-2009, 07:31 PM
Shocks are in good shape too?? I wonder if the control arms are too tight.

brand-new skyjacker shocks. Arms are torqued to factory specs (drop brackets). I dunno...but let's keep that in the other thread.

crawltech
07-06-2009, 10:05 PM
I wasn't attempting to measure caster. I extended my lower arms 4 revolutions to increase my caster because I was running a little under 4 degrees. The steering felt very sensitive. The slightest turn really TURNED the jeep. After lengthening the lowers it feels so much better and more firm. I don't know what the caster is now but I did keep an eye on my pinion angles. It was even with the drive shaft previously and now its 2 degrees down. I think it'll be ok but just wanted to make sure.

4" lift
sye/front shaft
low pinion 30.
RC drop brackets and lower adjustable arms.
stock steering, all new.

Ahhh.....the lp makes it tough to acheive pinion angle....it doesnt have to be same angle as the d-shaft....most hp set ups can run with the pinion at 0-2 degrees with problems.....i could go on forever about pinion angle:smiley-talk024::smiley-talk024::smiley-talk024:....but i wont.....but,i will say this.....it helps NOT to have the shaft and the pinion at the same angle....they need to be different to wear properly,and spread out load/torque throughout the joint properly....

muddeprived
07-06-2009, 10:16 PM
Ahhh.....the lp makes it tough to acheive pinion angle....it doesnt have to be same angle as the d-shaft....most hp set ups can run with the pinion at 0-2 degrees with problems.....i could go on forever about pinion angle:smiley-talk024::smiley-talk024::smiley-talk024:....but i wont.....but,i will say this.....it helps NOT to have the shaft and the pinion at the same angle....they need to be different to wear properly,and spread out load/torque throughout the joint properly....

Thanks. Yeah I realized it that on my wrangler. I had the rear shaft perfectly aligned but the pinion kept leaking. I later put it 2 degrees down and the pinion leaks stopped and the mysterious vibe was gone. I never could figure out the vibe on it and i didn't look into the pinion angle cuz i knew it was aligned to 0. I figured since it was a 4-link that there wouldn't be any changes in the pinion angle but in fact it does happen even on coil sprung-4-link suspensions. I figured on the front it wouldn't really matter cuz there was no load being placed on it in 2wd so there wouldn't be any changes in the pinion except when in 4wheeldrive. So its' good that it's good to run 2 degrees down. :)

BlueXJ
07-06-2009, 10:32 PM
Good info for future reference.