PDA

View Full Version : what could cause this?

muddeprived
07-06-2009, 07:25 AM
Steering wheel-road feed back? Everything registering through the tires is coming up to the steering wheel. It's not bumpsteer or alignment issues. When i go over a rough road, all that road noise is transmitted to the steering wheel. It's like the steering wheel is part of the axle. Only the steering wheel itself does all this crappy shaking, not the dash or the steering column or anything else. It's almost like taking a 12 foot pipe and hitting it at the bottom with a hammer and you feel that feedback at the other end. This is hand-numbing to me and i'm trying to figure out what's causing it. My only guess is the tires cuz they are E-rated tires.

I drove 1 hour on the freeway yesterday and i was watching my hand shake, rattle, and roll the entire way. it's just so annoying.

any guesses?

Mudderoy
07-06-2009, 09:35 AM
I try to answer even when I don't know the answer, so you might want to skip me...

The ONLY time I have had any shaking of the steering wheel was with my old suspension and my old OEM tires/wheels. They would get out of balance as I drove them, and I could get the steering wheel going back and forth (slightly compared to what you are talking about I think) at certain speeds.

Rotating and re-balancing them would take care of the problem for another 7k miles.

After the lift new wheels and tires I haven't had this issue. I have noticed more vibrations overall and I get the tires rotated and balanced and things get much smoother.

Overall the Jeep drives like it did when I bought it new after the lift and the wheel/tires. Very noticible improvement over the factory "old" stuff.

I have 147k and haven't changed any front end parts, other than the lift stuff.

muddeprived
07-06-2009, 09:40 AM
I try to answer even when I don't know the answer, so you might want to skip me...

The ONLY time I have had any shaking of the steering wheel was with my old suspension and my old OEM tires/wheels. They would get out of balance as I drove them, and I could get the steering wheel going back and forth (slightly compared to what you are talking about I think) at certain speeds.

Rotating and re-balancing them would take care of the problem for another 7k miles.

After the lift new wheels and tires I haven't had this issue. I have noticed more vibrations overall and I get the tires rotated and balanced and things get much smoother.

Overall the Jeep drives like it did when I bought it new after the lift and the wheel/tires. Very noticible improvement over the factory "old" stuff.

I have 147k and haven't changed any front end parts, other than the lift stuff.

Mine's not going back or forth. The steering wheel doesn't jerk around or turn itself. It's just shaking over every bump. I can't really explain it. Maybe I'll get it on vid.

Thanks though. :)

okeedokee
07-06-2009, 09:41 AM
try checking the tire pressure

muddeprived
07-06-2009, 09:47 AM
Oh I thought of this. It feels like your handlebars when you ride your bicycle over rough terrain. You feel everything through the handlebars. Same thing. It used to be pleasantly smooth but now i feel everything.

Mudderoy
07-06-2009, 09:50 AM
Mine's not going back or forth. The steering wheel doesn't jerk around or turn itself. It's just shaking over every bump. I can't really explain it. Maybe I'll get it on vid.

Thanks though. :)

Ok so it must be going up and down. The steering wheel is attached to a shaft that is attached to the steering box. The steering box is attached to the frame.

It doesn't make sense that the vibration would be in the steering wheel but not in the body. I wonder how the steering wheel is attached to the body. I wonder if the vibration is coming from there, or it is lose and body vibration is being amplified there.

muddeprived
07-06-2009, 09:54 AM
Ok so it must be going up and down. The steering wheel is attached to a shaft that is attached to the steering box. The steering box is attached to the frame.

It doesn't make sense that the vibration would be in the steering wheel but not in the body. I wonder how the steering wheel is attached to the body. I wonder if the vibration is coming from there, or it is lose and body vibration is being amplified there.

Yeah that's why I'm confused. I can't figure out why all the vibes are going up through the steering column and not the rest of the front end or in the cab. Not sure if this matters but i recently put on detour's backbone and c-rock's internal box brace/spacer.

muddeprived
07-06-2009, 09:55 AM

I'm at 27 psi on these E-rated mtz's. It was smooth and fine a month ago.

Mudderoy
07-06-2009, 12:25 PM
I'm at 27 psi on these E-rated mtz's. It was smooth and fine a month ago.

Wow! Check this out!

:link: (http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2368)

muddeprived
07-06-2009, 06:30 PM
Wow! Check this out!

:link: (http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2368)

Thanks for that link. It got me thinking cuz of the way the underbody paint was tearing away. let me get a picture of this cuz it's kinda weird. i REALLY hope I don't have a crack cuz if I do.........:cool:

one reason i miss my wrangler :(

BlueXJ
07-06-2009, 06:50 PM
That NAXJA article is interesting and scary at the same time. I have the C-rok inner plate and my 1/4" bumper mount plate on the outside but that surely doesn't address the two layered lower plate that the pic on NAXJA showed the cracks in. Maybe I need to build a bottom plate to weld to the bumper side plate.
mudd let us know if you have any such cracks on yours.

muddeprived
07-06-2009, 06:51 PM
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/muddeprived/cherokee/brace/DSCF6296.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/muddeprived/cherokee/brace/DSCF6297.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/muddeprived/cherokee/brace/DSCF6299.jpg

No visible cracks but notice how the paint is pulling away from the detour's bumper brackets. I'm betting that's from frame flex. I originally thought it was the bolts loose but they are tight.

BlueXJ
07-06-2009, 06:57 PM
Pull your swaybar and check under it like in the NAXJA pics before you say you are crack free. The paint looks like it was a cheap aftermarket undercoating and was never properly adhered to the frame.

muddeprived
07-06-2009, 07:32 PM
Pull your swaybar and check under it like in the NAXJA pics before you say you are crack free. The paint looks like it was a cheap aftermarket undercoating and was never properly adhered to the frame.

Yeah it does look cheap but i bet it's been a while since it was re-done. It's flaking and cracking in other areas. This was all done by the PO.

I'll get the sway bar off tomorrow and see.

DETOURS
07-06-2009, 08:05 PM
I have 'zero' negative feedback on the BackBone after 6 years, I'd follow the cracked paint.......seems very strange.:cop:

DETOURS
07-06-2009, 08:12 PM
After reading another thread......that low pinion 30 might be starting to give you issues at 4" of lift............not a solution, just a thought. I'd consider shaft angles on both ends there.........

muddeprived
07-06-2009, 09:20 PM
I have 'zero' negative feedback on the BackBone after 6 years, I'd follow the cracked paint.......seems very strange.:cop:

Oh don't worry. I'm not pointin fingers at the backbone. It's freakin sweet and I don't have any complaints ;)

I just think the frame flex is causing the paint to pull apart. As for the road feedback, no freakin clue. Everythign on my front end is new, box is new, control arms are new, wheelbase is exact, alignment is 1/8" toe in dead on, nothing's loose. I have to look into it some more. I'll try to get a vid too so you guys can see my hands shaking.....:smiley-laughing021:

I can't say if it's the lp30 giving me issues. It's got new ball joints, bearings, u-joints, bushings on upper axle, and pinion is set at 2 degrees down to increase my caster a little. It tracks straight and true, no shakes, no wobbles, just a fine functioning axle. What kind of issues do you think the lp 30 is giving me? You mentioned shafts but i can't see them causing the problems I have when i go over bumps in the road. It all goes up and you feel it in the steering wheel. If it was the pinion wouldn't I feel it all the time and on the floor?

firehawk
07-06-2009, 09:28 PM
Have you checked the shaft coming from the box the the firewall? It has a small u-joint in it.

muddeprived
07-06-2009, 09:30 PM
Have you checked the shaft coming from the box the the firewall? It has a small u-joint in it.

Yeah I was going to today but never got around to it. I'll check it out.

Thanks for the suggestion.

DETOURS
07-07-2009, 06:58 AM
Oh don't worry. I'm not pointin fingers at the backbone. It's freakin sweet and I don't have any complaints ;)

I just think the frame flex is causing the paint to pull apart. As for the road feedback, no freakin clue. Everythign on my front end is new, box is new, control arms are new, wheelbase is exact, alignment is 1/8" toe in dead on, nothing's loose. I have to look into it some more. I'll try to get a vid too so you guys can see my hands shaking.....:smiley-laughing021:

I can't say if it's the lp30 giving me issues. It's got new ball joints, bearings, u-joints, bushings on upper axle, and pinion is set at 2 degrees down to increase my caster a little. It tracks straight and true, no shakes, no wobbles, just a fine functioning axle. What kind of issues do you think the lp 30 is giving me? You mentioned shafts but i can't see them causing the problems I have when i go over bumps in the road. It all goes up and you feel it in the steering wheel. If it was the pinion wouldn't I feel it all the time and on the floor?

Was'nt suggesting pointy fingers......just contributing.

I had a lp-d30 once.......long ago........there came a point as the vehical grew higher and higher inwhich I had to remove the drive shaft when not wheeling, to keep it driveable (binding)........this is why I suggested the lp30....

But I'd follow that cracked paint deal you got goin on first.......:smiley-scared002:

muddeprived
07-07-2009, 05:19 PM

Well looks like you were right. I swear It was 27 psi right after I had the tires mounted and today I checked them and they were 37 psi. I have no idea how it got so high and thinking maybe one of the muffler shops increased the psi?? I dunno but i lowered it back down to 27 and will drive it later and see. I'm betting that's what caused the roughness I was feeling.

I tried to get a video of it doing what it does but you can't even see it shaking but it was shaking like a mofo:

[IMG]http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/muddeprived/th_mov-0009.jpg[/IMG"]Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket

AJ99
07-08-2009, 12:36 AM
Another thing you could check on is the steering stabilizer... Mine went out in my dodge ram truck and it is doing the same thing... When you stop does it shake a little bit? (just curious on that)

muddeprived
07-08-2009, 01:01 AM
Another thing you could check on is the steering stabilizer... Mine went out in my dodge ram truck and it is doing the same thing... When you stop does it shake a little bit? (just curious on that)

I have a 1 year old skyjacker stabilizer on there. I'm sure it's still pretty fresh and new.

Doesn't shake when I stop.

The shakes and rattles are pretty much gone after I lowered the pressure. Talk about teeth-shattering-hand-numbing high pressure! Now it's smooth like it used to be. :thumbsup: