PDA

View Full Version : Basic guide on Welding

Showtime3492
10-19-2011, 03:28 AM
Hey everyone being an xj owner has really made me value my skills as a professional welder/fabricator. This is basic information and faq that will hopefully help those of you that would like to try a custom project. This will cover the three basic processes of Smaw-shielded metal arc welding (stick welding), Gmaw-gas metal arc welding(MIG welding) and Gtaw- gas tungsten arc welding(tig welding). There are many more forms of welding but I figure these are the most practical and effective for the applications on any jeep or automobile.

Let's begin with Smaw (stick welding)

This is often one of the more challenging forms of welding for beginners but is also the simplest in terms of equipment required.
Ac- alternating current (standard house current) acceptable for most stick welding applications on an Ac or ac/dc machine
dcep- which is direct current electrode positive this is used for more weld penetration. Dcen-direct current electrode negative allows for a higher weld deposition rate but with less penetration typically used on thinner metals.

Getting started
There are some stick welding rods that can be run over rust and dirty metal however in my professional opinion "if you can clean it up, do it" Welding will always be performed better on clean metal that doesn't mean it has to shine, just taking off the surface impurities is adequate most of the time.

Welding rods identification
Example: E7018
"70" minimum tensile strength (thousands of pounds per square inch)
Second digit from right "1" indicates it can be welded in all positions.
Last digit "8" indicates the compositionof flux coating

A second digit from the right "2" indicates the rod can only be used in flat and horizontal positions
3 in the second digit from right-flat position only
4 in second digit from right- flat, horizontal, overhead, or vertical down

Common rods and uses
7018 good overall rod adequate penetration and smooth weld appearance
6010 slightly better penetration aggressive burn rough weld appearance

7018 is generally what is called a drag rod. Basically when the arc is struck you slowly drag the rod and it will burn into the base metal according to how fast you travel and how the machine is set.
6010 is what I call a "step rod" it is used with a " whip" motion where when the arc is struck whipping back and forth to travel this gives it its aggressive appearance.

General knowledge
-Beveling any weld joint will increase the weld quality and penetration
-Clean surfaces to be welded with a wire brush, wire wheel, grinder
-Upon completing a weld using stick welding there will be a black coating on it this is called "slag" chip this off with a hammer and wire wheel clean before welding over top of. IF YOU WELD OVER THIS YOU WILL GET SLAG INCLUSIONS AND WELD DEFECTS ALL OF WHICH WEAKEN YOUR WELD!

I will post pics of what welds look like and continue to update this throughout the next couple of days the next process to be covered will be Gmaw or MIG

Showtime3492
10-19-2011, 09:25 AM
Gas metal arc welding- MIG

Very versatile application
Can be used on almost any thickness of material from effectively from 24 gauge to 1 inch it all depends on you power source and the amount of bevel and weld preparation you do. Most migs will comfortably run their max thickness around 1/4-3/8 inch. Adding a bevel to thicker materials with MIG is a must especially for any MIG that is run from anything less than 3 phase electricity. Just do it you'll thank me later it doesn't have to be a huge bevel just take the edge of the corner off will help.

Welding preparation- MIG is a beauty queen it likes very clean metals. So in this case if you have rusty material your going to need to clean it up. Taking 5-10 mins for preparation could save you a broken weld or cutting that weld back out due to weld impurities.

Direct current electrode positive or dcep/dcrp is almost always used with MIG.

MIG is now an incorrect term as it stands for metal inert gas welding. It is incorrect because some of the gasses used are not inert gasses
However the term is still generally used

Application- MIG is such a versatile process that it can be performed in many ways. There are also different wire types that will effect how it is performed. We will start with your general solid wire MIG
Solid wire MIG- can be performed in several ways and in all positions.
Stepping the weld is common on thinner metals it allows for a very nice weld and will help keep the base metals temperature down slightly.
Pushing the weld is also used on solid wire and is typically how it is performed in industry it controls the amount of build up while still allowing adequate penetration. Gives a smooth weld appearance
Drag welding or pulling the wire- can be used on some heavier stuff it has just slightly more digging properties but will also lay a thicker more built up weld.

To use solid wire you must have a cover gas to keep the weld from being contaminated by oxygen, you will recieve a very ugly weld if you don't use a cover gas with this! Typically gas mixture called 75/25 is used with MIG it is 75% argon and 25% helium.
This gas can be used on stainless but in industrial applications a different gas called Tri-mix is used it produces better weld qualities but you will be ok running 75/25 if the need to MIG stainless comes up.
You must attach the ground clamp to the workpiece or the table you are working at if not you won't be welding anytime soon.
Also after welding for a bit take the gas cup off your MIG gun and scrape out the spatter it will allow the gas to flow better.
I am going to cut it off at that for Gmaw because there is much more to it than stick welding and would take several pages to write it all but that will get you started all that's left is a little practice!

Also any questions post them up here I may have forgot to mention somethin that a beginer wouldn't know because I do it everyday and it is just second nature. The only stupid question is one you didnt ask!

Showtime3492
10-19-2011, 03:15 PM
There will be pictures up tonight of some various welds and set up

XJ4IV
10-19-2011, 03:23 PM
Hey showtime... I guess I missed it with my internet absence but I can tell your going to be one of the assets here on XJT. that being said What is your first name so we can all call ya by name... little more personal. if not not worries

I recently purchased a Lincoln ac225 and I was sold on the 6011's welding rods
for 3/16 and 1/4 inch plate which would be my best deal for strength and penetration for building the BEST things I can!

bluedragon436
10-19-2011, 03:53 PM
His first name is Anthony... and he has def. been an awesome asset to XJT... and is getting me in more and more trouble the more he builds.. LOL.. Can't wait to see pics for this thread.. I am very interested in getting started into welding... I plan on taking a course at the local community college to help me learn the quickest and best.. especially before I spend $400+ on a welder to learn with..

LizardRunner
10-19-2011, 03:59 PM
BD, if you take that course, you will have already learned on the machines. You will be doing lots of welding in that class, then breaking your welds to see how good the penetration is.

Anthony, awesome thread you have going here. I look forward to more posts and the pics.

Showtime3492
10-19-2011, 04:25 PM
Hey showtime... I guess I missed it with my internet absence but I can tell your going to be one of the assets here on XJT. that being said What is your first name so we can all call ya by name... little more personal. if not not worries

I recently purchased a Lincoln ac225 and I was sold on the 6011's welding rods
for 3/16 and 1/4 inch plate which would be my best deal for strength and penetration for building the BEST things I can!

If your welder can handle it which I'm pretty sure it can as I have welded with one of those and they are solid machines I would honestly go for the 3/32 7018 it is a great all purpose rod and a testament to its quality is I have used it as the required rod for nuclear fuel rod containers. It can be challenging but is my favorite rod of all time. It runs beautifully in all positions. And yes the name is Anthony lol

XJ4IV
10-19-2011, 06:01 PM
saweet thanks anthony!

bluedragon436
10-19-2011, 07:18 PM
BD, if you take that course, you will have already learned on the machines. You will be doing lots of welding in that class, then breaking your welds to see how good the penetration is.

Yeah that is why I figured I would take the course prior to purchasing my own machine... I don't mind spending $400+ on a good machine.. just want to learn how to use it.. or rather make use of it.. to justify the spending.. otherwise I just spent $400+ on a machine that will collect dust out in the garage.. because I can't use it.. I want to at least take the intro to MIG course... still don't think I would trust myself to weld any suspension stuff... but then I would trust myself to do minor stuff...

Showtime3492
10-19-2011, 08:37 PM
Just wanted let everyone know that when i do my tig welding section it woll be in with the stick welding section. There is a good reason for it have to read it then to find out ;)

I'm being lazy tonight I'm exhausted so tomorrow the updates and pictures will go up. I took my lunch break at work to gather and lay a few welds. I have some really good examples for this.

Showtime3492
10-20-2011, 12:33 PM
Gas metal arc welding- MIG

Very versatile application
Can be used on almost any thickness of material from effectively from 24 gauge to 1 inch it all depends on you power source and the amount of bevel and weld preparation you do. Most migs will comfortably run their max thickness around 1/4-3/8 inch. Adding a bevel to thicker materials with MIG is a must especially for any MIG that is run from anything less than 3 phase electricity. Just do it you'll thank me later it doesn't have to be a huge bevel just take the edge of the corner off will help.

Welding preparation- MIG is a beauty queen it likes very clean metals. So in this case if you have rusty material your going to need to clean it up. Taking 5-10 mins for preparation could save you a broken weld or cutting that weld back out due to weld impurities.

Direct current electrode positive or dcep/dcrp is almost always used with MIG.

MIG is now an incorrect term as it stands for metal inert gas welding. It is incorrect because some of the gasses used are not inert gasses
However the term is still generally used

Application- MIG is such a versatile process that it can be performed in many ways. There are also different wire types that will effect how it is performed. We will start with your general solid wire MIG
Solid wire MIG- can be performed in several ways and in all positions.
Stepping the weld is common on thinner metals it allows for a very nice weld and will help keep the base metals temperature down slightly.
Pushing the weld is also used on solid wire and is typically how it is performed in industry it controls the amount of build up while still allowing adequate penetration. Gives a smooth weld appearance
Drag welding or pulling the wire- can be used on some heavier stuff it has just slightly more digging properties but will also lay a thicker more built up weld.

To use solid wire you must have a cover gas to keep the weld from being contaminated by oxygen, you will recieve a very ugly weld if you don't use a cover gas with this! Typically gas mixture called 75/25 is used with MIG it is 75% argon and 25% helium.
This gas can be used on stainless but in industrial applications a different gas called Tri-mix is used it produces better weld qualities but you will be ok running 75/25 if the need to MIG stainless comes up.
You must attach the ground clamp to the workpiece or the table you are working at if not you won't be welding anytime soon.
Also after welding for a bit take the gas cup off your MIG gun and scrape out the spatter it will allow the gas to flow better.
I am going to cut it off at that for Gmaw because there is much more to it than stick welding and would take several pages to write it all but that will get you started all that's left is a little practice!

Also any questions post them up here I may have forgot to mention somethin that a beginer wouldn't know because I do it everyday and it is just second nature. The only stupid question is one you didnt ask!

Solid wire mig
http://i1127.photobucket.com/albums/l626/Showtime3492/264511_1936926188458_1401465462_31904745_5643297_n-1.jpg

Little different this is still solid wire mig but It is pulsed mig or PGMAW
This is my d1.1 certification test- It passed
http://i1127.photobucket.com/albums/l626/Showtime3492/301231_2033074592108_1401465462_32030139_2168821_n .jpg

Mudderoy
10-20-2011, 12:39 PM
Pretty! :popcorn: Makes me want to get a mig welder.

Showtime3492
10-20-2011, 01:45 PM
These are both tests that I personally did. One is a layout test other a certification

702XJCruiser
10-21-2011, 02:28 PM
You gotta love the ability to weld. I've gotta learn it, with that skill you can cook up some amazing stuff. I was looking over your build threads last week. Great stuff.

On my old Toyota I went to the scrap yard and bought about $60 worth of steel. I made a design, cut it up and took it to my buddy's house "also a welder by trade" couple hours later. Voila I had a high clearance rear bumper with integrated 2" receiver, D-ring's, swing out tire carrier, and hi lift jack mount. That probably would've been at least $1000 to buy.

Showtime3492
10-21-2011, 11:32 PM
You gotta love the ability to weld. I've gotta learn it, with that skill you can cook up some amazing stuff. I was looking over your build threads last week. Great stuff.

On my old Toyota I went to the scrap yard and bought about $60 worth of steel. I made a design, cut it up and took it to my buddy's house "also a welder by trade" couple hours later. Voila I had a high clearance rear bumper with integrated 2" receiver, D-ring's, swing out tire carrier, and hi lift jack mount. That probably would've been at least $1000 to buy.

My rear bumper with any good luck will be on in a week or two if you saw that in the build. I hope to get some more pictures up and the section on tig welding done soon I'm just procrastinating lol I will go out in the garage and throw some stick welds down tomorrow so there is reference for that. Keep posting questions or any related stuff! I am glad to answer questions!!

Showtime3492
10-22-2011, 01:09 AM
Hey everyone being an xj owner has really made me value my skills as a professional welder/fabricator. This is basic information and faq that will hopefully help those of you that would like to try a custom project. This will cover the three basic processes of Smaw-shielded metal arc welding (stick welding), Gmaw-gas metal arc welding(MIG welding) and Gtaw- gas tungsten arc welding(tig welding). There are many more forms of welding but I figure these are the most practical and effective for the applications on any jeep or automobile.

Let's begin with Smaw (stick welding)

This is often one of the more challenging forms of welding for beginners but is also the simplest in terms of equipment required.
Ac- alternating current (standard house current) acceptable for most stick welding applications on an Ac or ac/dc machine
dcep- which is direct current electrode positive this is used for more weld penetration. Dcen-direct current electrode negative allows for a higher weld deposition rate but with less penetration typically used on thinner metals.

Getting started
There are some stick welding rods that can be run over rust and dirty metal however in my professional opinion "if you can clean it up, do it" Welding will always be performed better on clean metal that doesn't mean it has to shine, just taking off the surface impurities is adequate most of the time.

Welding rods identification
Example: E7018
"70" minimum tensile strength (thousands of pounds per square inch)
Second digit from right "1" indicates it can be welded in all positions.
Last digit "8" indicates the compositionof flux coating

A second digit from the right "2" indicates the rod can only be used in flat and horizontal positions
3 in the second digit from right-flat position only
4 in second digit from right- flat, horizontal, overhead, or vertical down

Common rods and uses
7018 good overall rod adequate penetration and smooth weld appearance
6010 slightly better penetration aggressive burn rough weld appearance

7018 is generally what is called a drag rod. Basically when the arc is struck you slowly drag the rod and it will burn into the base metal according to how fast you travel and how the machine is set.
6010 is what I call a "step rod" it is used with a " whip" motion where when the arc is struck whipping back and forth to travel this gives it its aggressive appearance.

General knowledge
-Beveling any weld joint will increase the weld quality and penetration
-Clean surfaces to be welded with a wire brush, wire wheel, grinder
-Upon completing a weld using stick welding there will be a black coating on it this is called "slag" chip this off with a hammer and wire wheel clean before welding over top of. IF YOU WELD OVER THIS YOU WILL GET SLAG INCLUSIONS AND WELD DEFECTS ALL OF WHICH WEAKEN YOUR WELD!

I will post pics of what welds look like and continue to update this throughout the next couple of days the next process to be covered will be Gmaw or MIG

Ok everyone here is the delayed section on TIG welding. The reason it is with the stick welding section is IF YOU HAVE A STICK WELDER YOU CAN HAVE A TIG WELDER FOR VERY CHEAP!!! How you may ask?? Its called a TIG "RIG". THis is something that if you know where to look and are creative with putting a few parts together you can make something really awesome for DIRT CHEAP!!! Google TIG RIG it will bring up plenty of results on how to make your own. If enough people would like to know i can take a little extra time to write it up. But since most beginners wont ever get into Tig i am going to keep this somewhat simple and to the point.

GTAW- gas tungsten arc welding formerly known as TIG- Tungsten inert gas welding

Tig welding was originally created to be a very small weld that could be used in welding seats into aircraft. It is a process that involves a manually added filler wire from one hand and a torch controlled by the other hand...and as if it werent complicated enough in some cases a footpedal or thumbcontrol to control the machines "heat" settings. If you use a tig rig it will all be manually set with no change available other than off the stick welder this is also a "scratch start process if using it off of a stick welder because there will be no High frequency start.

TIg has inspired many things we as xj owners love one of which being the plasma cutter. In short the tig inspired this by passing a gas through a confined space passing current over it and effectively producing a cutting effect... THIS IS THE MOST BASIC EXPLANATION I CAN GIVE WITHOUT CONFUSING EVERYONE lol not calling anyone dumb but its a little more complicated than that.
This is a pretty advanced tig machine capable of running dcep,dcen,AC, pulsed tig etc etc.

http://i1127.photobucket.com/albums/l626/Showtime3492/IMAG0291.jpg
For those of you wondering AC is used in welding aluminum.
This is a tig torch. The point you see sticking out is the Tungsten it is what passes the current to the work piece and creates the weld puddle.
The circular piece surrounding the tungsten is the gas cup. The torch further breaks down to the collet and collet body inside these are all pieces that help hold the tungsten in place.
http://i1127.photobucket.com/albums/l626/Showtime3492/IMAG0287.jpg
Preparation to weld
http://i1127.photobucket.com/albums/l626/Showtime3492/IMAG0285.jpg
http://i1127.photobucket.com/albums/l626/Showtime3492/IMAG0294.jpg
http://i1127.photobucket.com/albums/l626/Showtime3492/IMAG0290.jpg
These are just basic TIG welds on some junk metal found around the shop they are not the prettiest however This was "government" work and i was rushing at work lol.
And last but not least Aluminum this was done by me the first one is a bracket that goes somewhere on a naval ship. last one is just junk i stuck together.
http://i1127.photobucket.com/albums/l626/Showtime3492/TIG.jpg
http://i1127.photobucket.com/albums/l626/Showtime3492/l.jpg

cantab27
10-22-2011, 02:07 AM
them there are some pretty welds mate..thanks for this thread...

Showtime3492
10-22-2011, 02:09 AM
them there are some pretty welds mate..thanks for this thread...

Thanks! This is just for some inspiration, i wanna see some more crazy/awesome builds coming to this forum and if i can encourage that by sharing a little knowledge i use everyday well then thats fine by me!

Showtime3492
10-22-2011, 01:57 PM
I will post up the stick welding pictures soon and probably throw in a few of some self shielding wire as well just for referance...

xjnuttier
11-04-2011, 02:38 PM
Anthony, thanks for taking the itme to write this post, I sure am glad you are one of my best wheeling buds, cus all the welds you have done for me are amazing :) trust me guys, Anthony is a welding God.. :) and a better friend :)

Showtime3492
11-04-2011, 02:48 PM
Thanks Mike. Wow I really need to stop procrastinating and get that stick welding pick/demo up for you guys.... Lol blame it on the jeep and woman they occupied all my time..:crazy:

bluedragon436
11-05-2011, 12:07 AM
Those are some nice looking welds.. I am hoping to learn to weld nearly that nice someday..

4.3LXJ
11-05-2011, 10:25 AM
practice, practice and more practice

bluedragon436
11-05-2011, 11:04 AM
I got to start with some classes first.. only way I'm going to be able to get any practice.. def. won't be able to talk the wife into letting me spend money on a welder until I at least start with some classes

4.3LXJ
11-05-2011, 02:43 PM
I got to start with some classes first.. only way I'm going to be able to get any practice.. def. won't be able to talk the wife into letting me spend money on a welder until I at least start with some classes

That is what I did

bluedragon436
11-06-2011, 05:31 PM
Yeah and now you have a 4.3L equipped XJ!! LOL.. Oh the things that my wife might not get over!!

4.3LXJ
11-06-2011, 05:38 PM
Yeah and now you have a 4.3L equipped XJ!! LOL.. Oh the things that my wife might not get over!!

Actually I cut my teeth on an MB with a 351 Ford stuffed in it, then a CJ5 with a built V6, and a one ton power wagon .....

bluedragon436
11-06-2011, 05:41 PM
You had me at the 1-ton Power Wagon!!.. LOL..

Hey Anthony, sorry I thread jacked.. now put the XJ projects on hold.. and give me some more welding for dummies stuff to study!!

Carves
11-06-2011, 05:42 PM
Wellll ... everybody else might like this thread ....

.... but after looking at all showtimes creamy, straight, perfect looking welds ....

I hate this thread ... ;)

:D:D

Showtime3492
11-06-2011, 06:17 PM
Lol ok guys tomorrow I'm doin a stick weld demo for ya. I'll post up in the evening and ill take some life of what I do at work to its pretty cool too lol.

bluedragon436
11-06-2011, 06:26 PM
Stick welding sounds like fun to see.. Can't wait!!

Showtime3492
11-06-2011, 07:08 PM
It should be fun if you master this you can master any welding. ;)

bluedragon436
11-06-2011, 10:45 PM
It should be fun if you master this you can master any welding. ;)

That is what I've been told before.. Just wish I would have been able to get some education from the guy who told me that, before I had to PCS with the military.. would have had plenty of time to practice..

4.3LXJ
11-07-2011, 09:51 AM
Hey James, do they have fab shops for you guys to use. Some bases do. If so, you might be able to hang around and pick up some pointers.