PDA

View Full Version : Front end suspension??

rm2406
10-18-2011, 05:03 PM
my prob: when i come to an intersection and sometimes theres those dips there.well when going over them the front end evenly hits hard.it sounds like the engine hit the floor.changed the struts,
tansmission mount is good, motor mounts are new. what parts cushions or resists the front end from slamming hard on the dips?? any help as always is appreciated!

4.3LXJ
10-18-2011, 06:51 PM
When was the last time you changed your shocks Rudy? Also you might want to check the bushings in the front control arms. They wear out over time

Dirt Dogg Rydas
10-18-2011, 11:03 PM
Sounds like a problem I had. At every take off, dip and bump there was a clunking sound, I could of sworn it was the axle or control arm bushings but it turned out to be a bad motor mount.

bluedragon436
10-18-2011, 11:12 PM
I was going to say check your shocks.. or bushings for the arms.. at both ends of the control arms.. I was thinking motor mounts too.. but since you said you already replaced those..

Showtime3492
10-18-2011, 11:22 PM
Im thinking this is a control arm bushing issue. Look at the rubber see if it is torn up or wallowed out. Even if its not though they can still be bad.

rm2406
10-19-2011, 10:28 AM
shocks were changed a week ago, tranny mount is good, engine mounts are good. lower control arms bushings are ok but uppers are torn bad. im gonna replace them this weekend. also does anyone think that coil springs or bumpstops could cause the front end to hit dips so hard. the springs and bump stops are original at 214,000miles. going over speed bumps not a problem just those dips at intersections... thanks for the help!

bluedragon436
10-19-2011, 10:33 AM
I would say replace those torn bushings for sure... thinking that you are usually at a higher rate of speed when you go through the dips in the intersections than you would a speed bump... so I would think there would be a faster movement of the axle when you go through the intersection... so I'm still thinking the bushings.. another things to check.. is on your lower control arms that the two bolt and the little bracket that help position your lower control arms @ the frame end... are actually holding it in position, as well as the lower control arm mount bolts are tight.. so that they are not allowing your lower control arms to move back and forth @ the frame mount..

Metlic53
10-19-2011, 10:38 AM
mine did this, turned out to be my swaybar bushing had tore up and the bolt was way loose, it was hitting the frame really hard when it flexed.

rm2406
10-19-2011, 01:32 PM
ok this weekend i will replace the bushings and take it from there... any other things i should inspect for this problem???

XJ4IV
10-19-2011, 03:50 PM
could be worn out springs.... know it sounds odd but it does happen... the rebound on the coil can wear out and become weak! Ive seen it how does it compare with height in yours to other folks with same lift and tires?

rm2406
10-19-2011, 05:47 PM
im thinkin worn out springs too (original with 214,000miles) just not sure how to know for sure instead of throwing $ at it. with my old shocks, it did it and with the new ones(monroe 32252) it still does it so thats why i dont think its the shocks... my upper control arm bushings are shot and my bump stops are a little worn do you think those play a role in front end bottoming out? well bushings will be replaced this weekend.

bigjim350
10-19-2011, 07:53 PM
214k miles is really not that many miles for coil springs. In my opinion the only way they would be worn out with that many miles is if it was always driven on rough roads

rm2406
10-22-2011, 11:55 AM
so what do you think might be going on here bigjim350? whats allowing the front end to impact so hard on dips?? speed bumps not a problem ONLY dips.. any other thoughts people??

4.3LXJ
10-22-2011, 01:30 PM
When was the last time you changed your shocks Rudy? Also you might want to check the bushings in the front control arms. They wear out over time

shocks were changed a week ago,

I have just dealt with this on another vehicle we have been working on (Project HUMWEE) It had good shocks too, but the wrong ratio. Not all shocks are created equal. Some are made for cornering and to be used on soft suspensions, others are made for stiffer suspensions and for a smooth ride. If you put the cornering shocks on the stiffer suspension, like an XJ, then you can get a very harsh ride. My suggestion is that you take the shock off and compress it. You want a shock that is easy to compress, but hard to stretch for a smoother ride.

rm2406
10-24-2011, 01:20 PM
ok this past weekend changed uca bushings. one bushing was almost only metal with pretty much no rubber inside. the other was bad also. changed them out and so far ive hit dips with no hard hitting. alot more quiet! so im guessing problem solved!! thanks all for your time...NOW on to the next thang.