PDA

View Full Version : What's liviticus really all about?

LizardRunner
10-14-2011, 03:05 PM
For those that read their bible, I pose this question. What is the book of Livitcus really all about? is it really about taboos from G_D? or could it be G_D warning "his people" of the perils of life, and some instructions on how to live a good life, in that time period?
I have heard many different ideas on this subject and look forward to reading what the members here think.

I will give an occurance in the bible of a well documented account;
When moses and the people stopped at the well to cast off the fiery serpents. what is the passage refering to?

a. they had to stop to get rid of burning snakes
b. they needed to start a fire and so threw burning snakes on piles of wood
c. they needed to stop to get rid of a parasitic worm known as the fiery serpent
d. none of the above, it was just a made up story to scare children

4.3LXJ
10-14-2011, 05:31 PM
Be happy to expound on this. But that will be a painon the phone. When I get to a WiFi I will amswer oer PM you.

pvt.tadpolxj
10-14-2011, 07:15 PM
Part of the answer to this is. The god of The people of Isreal wanted to teach his people that he wanted to be the only God to his people. Because they had to learn that he will not accept other idol's in their live's. He wanted to be their God and he was jealous of any other god's..He is the same God today..:rolleye0012:

xj4life2
10-14-2011, 07:27 PM
After 400 years of bondage alot had gone astray in the lives of the isrealites. They had forgotten alot of the laws and ways that they should follow.Here the laws are being laid down again and they are being reminded of Gods ultimate holiness. That no other should be put before him. Also that there would be punishments for not following the laws and rewards for following them. I think in my own mind God is just trying to put them back on the right track and show his love for them.

4.3LXJ
10-16-2011, 08:59 PM
For those that read their bible, I pose this question. What is the book of Livitcus really all about? is it really about taboos from G_D? or could it be G_D warning "his people" of the perils of life, and some instructions on how to live a good life, in that time period?
I have heard many different ideas on this subject and look forward to reading what the members here think.

I will give an occurance in the bible of a well documented account;
When moses and the people stopped at the well to cast off the fiery serpents. what is the passage refering to?

a. they had to stop to get rid of burning snakes
b. they needed to start a fire and so threw burning snakes on piles of wood
c. they needed to stop to get rid of a parasitic worm known as the fiery serpent
d. none of the above, it was just a made up story to scare children

Chip

The account of the fiery serpents is in Numbers 21. The account here describes poisonous snakes that bit the Israelites. The reason this happened is that God had been leading them from slavery in Egypt to the promised land. There had been great miracles performed, such as the annihilation of the Egyptian army, the plagues of Egypt etc and God had wanted and expected worship and obedience as a result of the special favors extended to them. But they were ungrateful for the manna they were given to eat and water they were given and wanted to rebel. There is a verse in Exodus that says You shall not criticize God or the leaders of your people. So, the fiery serpents were sent. I understand that these shake bites are particularly painful. But as a demonstration of Gods stamp of approval of Moses and the way they were being led, Moses was commanded to make a brass replica of the snakes and put it on a pole. All they had to do is look at it and live. A simple request, and a demonstration of the power of God. But many were so bitter and hard hearted they refused to look, and died.

bstrom650
10-17-2011, 07:18 AM
There is a verse in Exodus that says You shall not criticize God or the leaders of your people. So, the fiery serpents were sent. I understand that these shake bites are particularly painful. But as a demonstration of Gods stamp of approval of Moses and the way they were being led, Moses was commanded to make a brass replica of the snakes and put it on a pole. All they had to do is look at it and live. A simple request, and a demonstration of the power of God. But many were so bitter and hard hearted they refused to look, and died.

Excellent explanation - especially as Moses was actually appointed by God to lead the Israelites - not via a human democratic decision but by divine theocratic authority. All those chosen to represent the true God were backed by our Creator at critical times of loyalty under test.

The meaning for us today is this:
1) Moses prefigured Jesus and the brass snake represented sin and man's selfish inclination - to live, one must appreciatively (willingly look upon - as in the case of the brass snake) place faith in Christ's ransom through obedience to his teachings and seek God's Kingdom as our means of salvation.

2) Therefore, those who knowledgeably defend the Bible today as God's Word and obey the commission Jesus gave at Matthew 24:14 and 28:19,20 to preach the good news of God's Kingdom will be demonstrating their faith in his Father's will to fulfill what He initiated in the Garden of Eden. Those who hardheartedly prefer to 'look upon' this world' as a better place to live will suffer the condemnation that all God's faithful ones have shown throughout history.

At Matthew 6:33, Jesus tells us, rather than succumb to the anxieties of each day, to 'seek the Kingdom first and his righteousness'. Those two steps require a study of the Scriptures to learn what He considers acceptable and unacceptable.

So what is the reward? Read Psalm 37 - this chapter describes life after Armageddon.

4.3LXJ
10-17-2011, 09:00 AM
One thing most people miss. It has always been about faith, not works.

pvt.tadpolxj
10-17-2011, 12:58 PM
Vert true Jeeper's..They that come to God must believe that he is and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him...But with-out Faith it is impossible to please him.:rolleye0012:

bstrom650
10-18-2011, 07:23 AM
One thing most people miss. It has always been about faith, not works.

Actually, you missed. The Bible defines what faith requires, not man.

In the Bible, James tells us the 'faith without works is dead'. To say one thing and do another belies our faith - obedience requires actions, not just words. We do this in everyday life, but the specific command to 'preach the good news', which was more practically developed for the congregations in the first century through the words of Paul. He said we must even preach ' in favorable or unfavorable seasons'. This activity identifies true Christians from the simply professed and offers proof of our discipleship under Jesus - to God and man - so as provide a 'light of the world' to draw those who are seeking Him. Romans chapter 10 describes the need for this work. It is also the fulfillment of many prophesies regarding our day, such as at Isaiah 2:4 and Matthew 24:14.

Jesus initiated this proselytizing aspect of Christianity - a unique feature among all other religions of the world - and he commanded his followers to do likewise at Matthew 28:19,20. He is the model for all Christians and we are to 'follow his footsteps closely'...

4.3LXJ
10-18-2011, 09:45 AM
No, I don't think I missed it. This instance required action too.

LizardRunner
10-24-2011, 12:36 PM
wow didn't think I'd start this much of a discussion. Biologicly speaking the fiery serpent is indeed a parasitic worm. "To cast them off" one must place a slip knot around the head the one time of the year it will "poke out of the body" you then tie the end of the string to a stick and roll the parasite onto the stick, thus casing out the fiery serpent.

Livitcus is where all the rules for keeping Kosher come from. It also speaks a great deal about how the hebrews are to treat each other and lays down social mores that are to be followed. It, however, lacks mention of how the hebrews are to treat all peoples other than hebrews, a point that I am intrigued by.

Jesus said he came to "Fulfill the prophecy" The main things I gather from reading his words is this. His teachings were supposed to enlighten his people to what G_D expected and wanted his chosen people to act like, and part of that was to be forgiving to others for any and all transgressions. I like the way this discussion is going and I am learning much from all participants. I thank you all for participating and hope it won't end here, I find the bible to be full of insights and history. I also like the way science, every time it has tried to disprove what is written in it, ends up proving it is correct.

4.3LXJ
10-24-2011, 01:24 PM
That part about science is correct. But also vehemently denied. God is not so dumb after all. You are right about personal relations also.

bstrom650
10-25-2011, 07:16 AM
The Israelites were instructed to keep away from the pagan societies around them - especially regarding marriage alliances which those nations used as a political means and would sully the clean standards Israel had adopted. As God's chosen people, Israel was to be a 'light' to the world by making God's name and purposes known and to serve as an example inn their obedience to him. Any who chose to adopt their worship and way of life were welcomed - not shunned. This is evident by the 'large mixed company' that were involved in the Exodus from Egypt after the original Passover. Those honesthearted Egyptian saw the Israelite's God as the only true god compared to their inferior manmade ones represented in the 10 plagues.

By Jesus time, proselyte (or converted) Jews, like the Ethiopian eunuch that Philip met on the road from Damascus to Jerusalem, came from all over the civilized world to the temple for worship. However, after Jesus' death, the Law was 'made obsolete'. How? Jesus teachings and ransom now served as the foretold means for reconciliation with God - the Law had no such provision and only made the need for such a propitiation known. None of the Mosaic laws could bring life to imperfect man. It's principles and historical lessons, however, continue to serve us in our appreciation for God's sense of righteousness and Jesus drew from this history to teach us today.

Jesus' teachings on forgiveness are crucial to world peace, but like the Israelites, most fail to 'get the sense' of this higher thinking. Over time, God has been separating 'the sheep from the goats' according to those who respond to Jesus' teaching and is preparing them for life without sin and death on a paradise earth - read Psalm 37 for prophetic details on this.

Those he chooses to reign with his Son in heaven will make up the 'New Jerusalem' or approved theocratic arrangement for worship that Jesus disciples follow - far superior to the Law as it will bring life to those condemned by sin. This group is limited to 144,000 but come from very tribe and people and tongue - or in other words, faithful resurrected disciples of the Christ.

Those of us not called to 'rule as kings and priests' (Rev 20:5) are referred to as an unnumbered 'great crowd' will populate the earth and fulfill its original purpose where Adam had failed. Gone will be the divisive influences that plague us today with inadequate human rulers who have no real wisdom. Gone will be the powerful forces that oppress and humiliate innocent victims. Gone will be the injustices caused by those who live with greed and control over others as their goals in life. (Psalm 37)

LizardRunner
11-08-2011, 01:57 PM
all I know is that; we are all to look after those less fortunate than ourselves. We are to be fair and not let greed overcome good sense. We are to look upon all as our brothers and sisters and act accordingly. This is what Creator desires most for us. Doing this also allows Creator to lay blessings upon us. Something he very much enjoys doing.