PDA

View Full Version : Learned my lesson with poly bushings

firehawk
07-02-2009, 05:22 PM
DO NOT waste your money on poly bushings....IMO. I installed a set of front swaybar bushings about 2.5 years ago. For over a year I have had to constantly be spraying them down with silicone spray to keep them from squeaking/groaning. The hole in them was worn maybe 1/8" larger than the diameter of the swaybar. I could pull the bar from side to side since nothing was holding it. It would rattle around when hitting bumps

I took a set of bushing brackets off an XJ at the pick a part, free by the way! I just got the pair of OEM bushings from Quadratec today, and installed them. NO squeak/groan, no rattle! :D IMO, stick with the OEM rubber bushings.

BlueXJ
07-02-2009, 05:53 PM
I bought a set of Daystar poly bushings and they fit very tight. There seems to be several sizes and you need to find the correct size. Mine don't squeak or squawk like I was sure they would. So far I am happy with mine.

xjjeepthing
07-02-2009, 06:45 PM
Yep my BDS shocks have poly bushing and squeek like hell.

muddeprived
07-03-2009, 05:26 AM
DO NOT waste your money on poly bushings....IMO. I installed a set of front swaybar bushings about 2.5 years ago. For over a year I have had to constantly be spraying them down with silicone spray to keep them from squeaking/groaning. The hole in them was worn maybe 1/8" larger than the diameter of the swaybar. I could pull the bar from side to side since nothing was holding it. It would rattle around when hitting bumps

I took a set of bushing brackets off an XJ at the pick a part, free by the way! I just got the pair of OEM bushings from Quadratec today, and installed them. NO squeak/groan, no rattle! :D IMO, stick with the OEM rubber bushings.

I almost went poly with my sway bar too but found oem's locally. BUT the rubber bushings are already worn and it's only been 8 months. Yeah I got the right size cuz I took off the sway bar and brought it in to get measured. I prefer poly cuz it'll last forever if you use the proper grease that's included. It's the ultra STICKY STUFF and I forget what it's called but it's a BITCH to get off your fingers. I'm gonna go poly as soon as i get somewhat finished with buying all this crap for the jeep. Since my ears are broke, the squeaking shouldn't bother me. :)

BlueXJ
07-03-2009, 08:46 AM
Quote by mudd: Since my ears are broke, the squeaking shouldn't bother me.

Good point but mine have never squealed, or maybe my ears are broke too and I'm to dumb to realize it!!!

LizardRunner
04-04-2012, 10:03 AM
There is only one thing to consider when debating poly or rubber for any bushing as far as I can tell. Poly is much firmer and it comes in different fomulations (red colored will always be softer than black colored) If it is going on a point that affects comfortable ride, rubber will be better on your butt. If your not concerned with a horse and buggy type ride, go all Poly bushings. If you want a nicer butt ride, use rubber bushings for those places that affect the ride and poly bushings every where else. The Black poly bushings will always give a "firmer" ride than the red poly bushings. just my penny's worth.

4.3LXJ
04-04-2012, 10:35 AM
Probably a good idea to have the ability to grease them, if you don't have broke ears. :D

olds-cool
04-04-2012, 12:20 PM
I believe I saw somethere on the Energy Suspension site that the difference between red & black was that black was impregnated with graphite and may wear a little faster, otherwise they are identical.