PDA

View Full Version : CB radio

CherokeeNat.92
09-26-2011, 02:48 PM
I am planning on joining a Jeep club out here where i live. Now other than them, the off road parks out here in Pa require CBs..or rather, Strongly recommend it. So with that, I don't know much about them. Any recommendations and where to get one?

prcjeep
09-26-2011, 02:57 PM
Great question/post... I look forward to seeing what is said. I would like to have a CB as well but have not done much research myself.

Mudderoy
09-26-2011, 03:06 PM
I am planning on joining a Jeep club out here where i live. Now other than them, the off road parks out here in Pa require CBs..or rather, Strongly recommend it. So with that, I don't know much about them. Any recommendations and where to get one?

I'm going to assume that if you are talking to people on the trail they won't be more than 1 mile away, perhaps even 2. Pretty much any cheap a$$ CB will work fine. Pay attention to antenna selection, mounting and antenna adjustment (SWR) and you should be fine.

CherokeeNat.92
09-26-2011, 03:16 PM
Mounting is pretty simple to understand. But what do you mean pay attention to antennas and antenna adjustment? What is out there that i should avoid? I have literally seen first hand one or two CBs and they were yeeeears ago.

Mudderoy
09-26-2011, 03:49 PM
Mounting is pretty simple to understand. But what do you mean pay attention to antennas and antenna adjustment? What is out there that i should avoid? I have literally seen first hand one or two CBs and they were yeeeears ago.

Mounting the antenna isn't as simple as you might think. I've seen people mount the antenna so close to the metal the put a tennis ball on it to keep it from touching. That ain't good and it just reflects RF back into the antenna and back into the final transistors. Even if you get the SWR down low (measurement of forward vs. reflected RF power) you're still blocking some of the signal.

You want as much of the antenna as possible above the vehicle. A top loaded antenna is best for ground/local communications, but no one likes a top heavy antenna. Besides the coil has a tendency to get ripped off.

A center loaded antenna would be your next best bet, but of course a full quarter wave will be your best all around antenna. That would be a 102" whip.

I use one for HF and 6 meters with an antenna tuner, but it should work fine with a CB radio as well.

http://xjtalk.com/images/special/jeep_ant4.jpg

http://xjtalk.com/images/special/jeep_ant2.jpg http://xjtalk.com/images/special/jeep_ant5.jpg

Of course the problem with this type of installation is being off road the antenna makes a great beat the spectators in the head, and the ball mount will have a 99% change of being caught on and being ripped off by a tree. :D

While off road you could swap out the 102" wipe with a 4'(?) fiberglass antenna though.

CherokeeNat.92
09-26-2011, 04:16 PM
Yeah i like your setup. I totally agree that mounting an antenna on top is the best spot. But i worry about getting it caught in branches and stuff while going down a trail. Do you know if there are any good antennas that can be mouned on top that aren't going to go much higher than my roof rack and put out solid communication? I like how you have the mount down by your tail light and tie it down up top. That was a route i have been considering for my own. I would like to do a set up similar to what military does on their vehicles. I know we had to antennas in the back, mounted just above the rear bumper and the ends of the antennas either stand straight up, get tied in an X pattern across the rear, or are tied on the ends facing the front of the vehicle. But they also have very strong amps to be able to communicate over great distances.

4.3LXJ
09-26-2011, 05:12 PM
Mounting the antenna isn't as simple as you might think. I've seen people mount the antenna so close to the metal the put a tennis ball on it to keep it from touching. That ain't good and it just reflects RF back into the antenna and back into the final transistors. Even if you get the SWR down low (measurement of forward vs. reflected RF power) you're still blocking some of the signal.

You want as much of the antenna as possible above the vehicle. A top loaded antenna is best for ground/local communications, but no one likes a top heavy antenna. Besides the coil has a tendency to get ripped off.

A center loaded antenna would be your next best bet, but of course a full quarter wave will be your best all around antenna. That would be a 102" whip.

I use one for HF and 6 meters with an antenna tuner, but it should work fine with a CB radio as well.

http://xjtalk.com/images/special/jeep_ant4.jpg

http://xjtalk.com/images/special/jeep_ant2.jpg http://xjtalk.com/images/special/jeep_ant5.jpg

Of course the problem with this type of installation is being off road the antenna makes a great beat the spectators in the head, and the ball mount will have a 99% change of being caught on and being ripped off by a tree. :D

While off road you could swap out the 102" wipe with a 4'(?) fiberglass antenna though.

That whip antenna is one thing I was going to investigate. It would double as a mast for a flag for running sand dunes. You can also put an LED on the top and let it wave around at night. Looks cool that way.

CherokeeNat.92
09-26-2011, 06:21 PM
Maybe have a whip on both sides. Then you could have a couple leds up there..lol

Carves
09-26-2011, 07:02 PM
...... but of course a full quarter wave will be your best all around antenna. That would be a 102" whip ......

That was always my favourite antennae back in the heyday of 27mhz ... before 476mhz UHF became the radio of choice for most down here.

I hated the flexibility of the stainless tho ....

...... Of course the problem with this type of installation is being off road the antenna makes a great beat the spectators in the head, and the ball mount will have a 99% change of being caught on and being ripped off by a tree ......

That whip antenna is one thing I was going to investigate. It would double as a mast for a flag for running sand dunes. You can also put an LED on the top and let it wave around at night. Looks cool that way.

Maybe you pair should put your heads together and have a play with one of these.

Dump the AMU and a little bit of other fiddling ... cut & tune it to length ....

.... and you get an antennae that will really give track marshalls a clout ... and double as a sand flag pole .... :D

http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n629/carves-oz/MX-6707-03.jpg

4.3LXJ
09-26-2011, 08:36 PM
Maybe you pair should put your heads together and have a play with one of these.

Dump the AMU and a little bit of other fiddling ... cut & tune it to length ....

.... and you get an antennae that will really give track marshalls a clout ... and double as a sand flag pole .... :D

http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n629/carves-oz/MX-6707-03.jpg

So, what is one of these? And since I am such a dunce about CB, tell me why I should want one of these what ever they are.

Carves
09-26-2011, 08:56 PM
So, what is one of these? And since I am such a dunce about CB, tell me why I should want one of these what ever they are.

I thought the "army green" colour might have been a bit of a giveaway ... ;)

Have a look on any U.S. Mil vehicle that has radios fitted ...

Mudderoy would know whether or not, it might be worth messing with - for your requirements .....

A few us down here got a bunch of them from a surplus store back in the day .... Worked OK, stayed more vertical at highway speeds for better TX/RX .... and mounted on the front bar, we also used em to know whether a tree branch was too low - for the roof rack and camping gear ;)

Mudderoy
09-26-2011, 09:01 PM
I thought the "army green" colour might have been a bit of a giveaway ... ;)

Have a look on any U.S. Mil vehicle that has radios fitted ...

Mudderoy would know whether or not, it might be worth messing with - for your requirements .....

A few us down here got a bunch of them from a surplus store back in the day .... Worked OK, stayed more vertical at highway speeds for better TX/RX .... and mounted on the front bar, we also used em to know whether a tree branch was too low - for the roof rack and camping gear ;)

Yeah those are neat. I've been trying to find a stainless steel whip that is longer than 102" here. I've considered making my own using a fiberglass rod and winding it with wire then putting heat shrink tubing over it. Problem is making it too stiff though because I need to be able to bend it over so I can get in the parking garage, and the garage at home.

Other than trying to mount it to my little Jeep that antenna would be perfect for HAM radio.

4.3LXJ
09-26-2011, 09:11 PM
So how long are these military versions. Are the same as the heavy ones I have seen pics of on Hummers?

Mudderoy
09-26-2011, 09:14 PM
So how long are these military versions. Are the same as the heavy ones I have seen pics of on Hummers?

Well I found one on ebay that I think is the same one that Carves pictured...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-pc-Fiberglass-Whip-Antenna-Spring-Base-Military-Vehicle-Radio-Part-Used-b-/200655276216?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eb7fc88b8

It says it's 9 feet long.

Carves
09-26-2011, 09:21 PM
Yeah those are neat. I've been trying to find a stainless steel whip that is longer than 102" here. I've considered making my own using a fiberglass rod and winding it with wire then putting heat shrink tubing over it. Problem is making it too stiff though because I need to be able to bend it over so I can get in the parking garage, and the garage at home.

Other than trying to mount it to my little Jeep that antenna would be perfect for HAM radio.

I was looking at something similiar using a beach fishing rod blank but a one piece 9footer would have been a PITA ... so the two piece, military one with the spring base was good ...

U.S. mil surplus places are selling the sticks and spring bases I've noticed. $200 :shocker: ... for a "never been used" set .. ;) ... :rolleyes:

4.3LXJ
09-26-2011, 09:23 PM
The flexibility thing is an issue for me too I think, although it looks like you can bend the base.

Niac
09-26-2011, 09:24 PM
My first CB for trail use was a cheap $38 Cobra from Wallmart and a two foot magnetic mount antenna that I glued to the center of my hood. It worked great on the trail.
I have a Cobra 75 WSXT now. It takes up little room and works OK. I'm using a 4' fiberglass ant. mounted on the back bumper. The range is about 1/2 mile, but that's all I need and the short antenna doesn't get knocked around by all the trees.

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll283/cainc_bucket/Jeep%20Cherokee%202001%20Albums/CitizensBandRadio/Cobra75WXSTHandset.jpg

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll283/cainc_bucket/Jeep%20Cherokee%202001%20Albums/CitizensBandRadio/Cobra75WXST.jpg

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll283/cainc_bucket/Jeep%20Cherokee%202001%20Albums/CitizensBandRadio/Coax1.jpg

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll283/cainc_bucket/Jeep%20Cherokee%202001%20Albums/CitizensBandRadio/Antenna.jpg

The CB's speaker sucks unless your driving a Cady. So the amplified speaker is a must.

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll283/cainc_bucket/Jeep%20Cherokee%202001%20Albums/CitizensBandRadio/CBSpeakerMount3.jpg

Carves
09-26-2011, 09:27 PM
The flexibility thing is an issue for me too I think, although it looks like you can bend the base.

Yep ... they are pretty solid and need a good mount .... but as most hummer / landrover etc., pics show ... you can pull it down flat with a tie if you want ....

Lotsa fun slicing thru fluro light tubes in underground carparks though if you leave it up ..... welllllllll ... it was 30yr ago ... :o

:D

4.3LXJ
09-26-2011, 09:28 PM
Yep ... they are pretty solid and need a good mount .... but as most hummer / landrover etc., pics show ... you can pull it down flat with a tie if you want ....

Lotsa fun slicing thru fluro light tubes in underground carparks though if you leave it up ..... welllllllll ... it was 30yr ago ... :o

:D

:jail:

4.3LXJ
09-26-2011, 09:29 PM
So is it possible to feed the CB sound through the stereo speakers?

jeepxj95
09-26-2011, 09:56 PM
yes it is if ur after maket radio has a aux im put or if ur factory radio has a tape deck then u can get one of those convertion things

Niac
09-27-2011, 07:18 PM
yes it is if ur after maket radio has a aux im put or if ur factory radio has a tape deck then u can get one of those convertion things

I tried an FM transmitter like you would use for an I-Pod, and a tape deck adapter. The Cobra amplified speaker with the noise cancelling beat the radio hands down. At least with my little Cobra 75.

4.3LXJ
09-27-2011, 09:44 PM
I spent a few minutes looking at CBs today because I was going to start an overhead console where I would put it. However I stumbled across a Cobra hand held radio. I am thinking this is the way to go for me. Anyone know anything about these little guys?

jeepxj95
09-28-2011, 12:01 AM
a guy in our club does but i dont. i want to one then if i dont like it the ill go back to my crappy cobra 19 or finally get the 25

Niac
09-28-2011, 05:40 AM
The fellers I've wheeled with that used the Handhelds were hard to understand while they were in their Jeeps. I don't know what they were using or where they kept them while wheeling. All of them were new wheelers.

Mudderoy
09-28-2011, 12:28 PM
If you want to be really cool...

http://heilsound.com/amateur/products/prosetmicrosingle/i/prosetmicrosingle.jpg

Only $79 from Heil!

CherokeeNat.92
09-28-2011, 12:32 PM
With the handhelds, if they can get a much longer antenna that they can run out the window..say passenger front for the 2door or one of the back windows for the 4door and then run and cable up front where you can just grab the handset to talk..it might work better for them. Reading about that the last couple posts got my mind going on that.
AS for the military spec whip and base. I have never seen a broken base on those and the antennas can take a beating. They are a little stiff in the spring when they are new but over time the loosen up a little more so they can bend easier when you want to tie them down. I actually love those and have whacked them a bit driving my humvee around. Both i think would be a great option. Finding a shop around here that would sell them may prove a bit challenging..but if you can get them, they can hook up to an amp and if you can run the cb through the amp, you can reach out and touch someone with that set up. I know in my time in the marines and army, we almost always ran those antennas and radios with an amp and reached i dunno 5 - 10 miles...just a guess. it was far thats all i know.

bluedragon436
09-28-2011, 12:33 PM
I have been eyeing those whips/springs on the Humvee's around here.. LOL..

4.3LXJ
09-28-2011, 12:35 PM
Thing is, you need something real stout to mount them on

bluedragon436
09-28-2011, 12:37 PM
yes you def. do.. seen a few ripped with the sheet metal off the humvee over here... was pretty funny to see

CherokeeNat.92
09-28-2011, 02:32 PM
what about the general location of where mudderoy put his and then place a plate on the inside to give it some added strength. Just an idea but it should help right?

4.3LXJ
09-28-2011, 04:45 PM
I think I would do that anyway, but that body panel is just not very strong. I don't think it would be strong enough for the military antenna

CherokeeNat.92
09-28-2011, 06:22 PM
what about mounting it up front, in front of the side mirrors? i don't really see a whole lot of areas to put those springs.

Marsbar
10-28-2011, 12:55 AM
My first CB for trail use was a cheap $38 Cobra from Wallmart and a two foot magnetic mount antenna that I glued to the center of my hood. It worked great on the trail.
I have a Cobra 75 WSXT now. It takes up little room and works OK. I'm using a 4' fiberglass ant. mounted on the back bumper. The range is about 1/2 mile, but that's all I need and the short antenna doesn't get knocked around by all the trees.

Its a bit sad coz I haven't had the net for a few weeks & I've been missing out on some really good post:banghead:

Yeah I like the install of yours Niac.......:D

In Aussie we have heaps of trouble getting 27meg CB's so I've been using UHF-CB coz thats all we use on our club trips.

I have an old President/Pearse-Simpson Base Station(i built it up out of bits I had lying around) & I installed the switches to give me afew more channels + cranked it up to 30watts on side-band/12watts on AM.

It is to big to mount in the XJ but I'll give it a go & put it under where the back seat was. The ideal place to mount the antenna is in the middle of the roof so it gives you the best ground plain & reduces the directional effect.

I have a Super HD 5ft Helical whip(I'm not using the 250watt Kicker amp anymore) & a 4ft Base loaded Whip so anyone got any suggestions which antenna would work better??????

cherokeejim47
01-28-2012, 07:39 AM
I see a lot I mean tons of Cherokees with Uniden 510XL small compact and very reasonable in price. Mount the small one lamost any where.