PDA

View Full Version : What Should Be My Next Step????

Melissa
07-02-2009, 12:15 AM
Okay I know everyone is probably tired of cooling questions, but I do have another :o

I am wondering what I should do next to my jeep to help with keeping my temps down?

It was 97 today and I had to run up to the Tri Cities about an hour and a half away, on the way up my temp ran about 155 and with the AC on it would run between 155 and 210.

When I got there, and was driving in the stop and go traffic my temp climbed to 235 with the AC off and stayed there until I was able to get back on the freeway headed home and then went back to running between 155 and 210.

I can only afford to do one thing this month and I was thinking either the transmission flush, or the high flow water pump. What do you all think? or do you have another suggestion??

I do have a brand new radiator and a brand new 160 thermostat in it now, both are less than 30 days old.

Please help, I did not like my temp that high today and I need to head to Portland on the 15th of this month (thats about 4 1/2 hours from me) and It's alot more of stop and go traffic there.

Mudderoy
07-02-2009, 02:30 AM
I guess it could be a coolant flow issue, but it sounds more like a fan. That heavy duty fan I put in mine might be the trick. If it will fit your older Jeep.

finneys98xj
07-02-2009, 10:39 AM
DOnt flush the tranny if it has never been flushed! It could cause problems being so old. Put inch spacers inbetween the hood hinge and the hood this will let ALOT of heat escape from under the hood and for cheap!

firehawk
07-02-2009, 11:58 AM
Kinda off subject but... running that cold of a thermostat, has it caused a MAJOR drop in MPG? Seem's to me the computer would constantly be thinking the engine isn't up to temperature and running rich.

ol"blue
07-02-2009, 12:03 PM
I wouldn't use a 160* t-stat, that's too low IMO. It's almost always open, and it doesn't allow the coolant to stay in the rad long enough to cool down.
Here's an interesting write-up on the subject of overheating, and some cures. http://jeephorizons.com/tech/xj_cooling.html

Mudderoy
07-02-2009, 12:36 PM
If your Jeep can run 150 and not get hotter driving down the highway I'd put in a 195.

finneys98xj
07-02-2009, 02:23 PM
X2^ on what Mudd said

BlueXJ
07-02-2009, 02:48 PM
The factory used a 195 for a few reasons so I would stick with what they used. I would think if your water pump is over a few years old it may be the problem but try Muddys fan first unless you know the pump to be original or very much close to the original age of the Jeep. I know you changed engines recently but did you also install a new WP?

Melissa
07-02-2009, 03:28 PM
DOnt flush the tranny if it has never been flushed! It could cause problems being so old. Put inch spacers inbetween the hood hinge and the hood this will let ALOT of heat escape from under the hood and for cheap!

I want to get hood vents, and the ones I want online give me the size, so I have thought about saving for those, but until then cutting holes in the hood to match the size.

I will do the spacer thing, even I could probably do that.

Kinda off subject but... running that cold of a thermostat, has it caused a MAJOR drop in MPG? Seem's to me the computer would constantly be thinking the engine isn't up to temperature and running rich.

No drop in MPG, still the same as before

I wouldn't use a 160* t-stat, that's too low IMO. It's almost always open, and it doesn't allow the coolant to stay in the rad long enough to cool down.
Here's an interesting write-up on the subject of overheating, and some cures. http://jeephorizons.com/tech/xj_cooling.html

Thanks, I will get to reading that!

If your Jeep can run 150 and not get hotter driving down the highway I'd put in a 195.

I'll put back in the 195, that I bought

The factory used a 195 for a few reasons so I would stick with what they used. I would think if your water pump is over a few years old it may be the problem but try Muddys fan first unless you know the pump to be original or very much close to the original age of the Jeep. I know you changed engines recently but did you also install a new WP?

My so bad :headbag:

When I had the motor swapped to this one, I did not make sure that my mech put on the brand new water pump, thermostat, and thermostat housing that I had just put on the other motor, so I believe the water pump is probably the original that now has 106,000 miles on it, and of course I have already sold the other motor :o