PDA

View Full Version : Exclusive for xjtalk.com - DETOURS KnuckleBone

Mudderoy
09-23-2011, 02:34 PM
Need more cargo room now that you have those larger tires? Tired <== Get it of having a higher center of gravity because your spare tire is on the roof?!?!!? Don't have, or want to spend $350+ just to carry a spare tire? Well here's another great solution from DETOURS (http://www.detoursusa.com). No you won't see it on their site yet, but it's coming!!!!

http://xjtalk.com/images/special/knucklebone4.jpg

http://xjtalk.com/images/special/knucklebone1.jpg

http://xjtalk.com/images/special/knucklebone2.jpg

http://xjtalk.com/images/special/knucklebone3.jpg

CT99XJ
09-23-2011, 03:24 PM
Will it support a 33" spare? How much movement does it have inside the hitch reciever?

Kind of really want.

eking81
09-23-2011, 05:47 PM
Detour does it yet again

i have one question

how big of a tire can it hold without interfering the with the gate

i only ask as i only see a limited rotation to the carrier so im assuming theres a limit to tire size

i do like this better then the hitch mounts that swing down

bigjim350
09-23-2011, 07:20 PM
I do like that a lot. I guess the size of the tire would depend on how much lift you have. If you were trimmed and running a 33" on 2" or 3" of lift it might not clear. But with a 33" or 35" on 6.5" seems like there would be plenty of room.

xj4life2
09-23-2011, 07:41 PM
thats way cool, I really need one.... ok details please. Mark where are you !!!!

Mudderoy
09-23-2011, 08:22 PM
Will it support a 33" spare? How much movement does it have inside the hitch reciever?

Kind of really want.

Detour does it yet again

i have one question

how big of a tire can it hold without interfering the with the gate

i only ask as i only see a limited rotation to the carrier so im assuming theres a limit to tire size

i do like this better then the hitch mounts that swing down

I do like that a lot. I guess the size of the tire would depend on how much lift you have. If you were trimmed and running a 33" on 2" or 3" of lift it might not clear. But with a 33" or 35" on 6.5" seems like there would be plenty of room.

thats way cool, I really need one.... ok details please. Mark where are you !!!!

I spoke with Mark today and he told me about it, then he sent me some pictures. It will hold a 33" tire and he believes 34" won't be an issue.

It has a wedge and a way to tighten it into the trailer hitch. This makes it rattle free and I believe secure from theft, okay easy theft. Mark feel free to correct me on this stuff as I am working from memory.

cantab27
09-23-2011, 10:40 PM
last weeks news...........................

http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1222285#post1222285

BrianXJ
09-23-2011, 10:51 PM
Nice solution for any size tire as far as I can see.

bluedragon436
09-24-2011, 02:42 AM
That is really nice for me.. at least until I can afford a spare tire carrier/bumper replacement.. which will be a ways off into the future for me.. I love all the ideas that Mark comes out with.. I think I'll be able to use this and a 33" tire with my 7.5" of lift on my XJ.. What rough estimate of pricing are we looking at for such an awesome product??

DETOURS
09-24-2011, 06:40 AM
*Tire Size/Will it Work for Me?.........Remove your spare, place it 2" behind your rear bumper....open hatch. If the hatch opens and clears the tire, it will work for you. ;)

*As some noticed, acceptable tire size will depend on lift height, (above) the carrier will absolutely withstand a 34" tire.

*This system is currently in use by 2 individuals for testing, it's also being expedition tested this month, I cut my testing short due to it's extremely good behavior, it's secure & silent.

*I found 1 downer......Women don't like it, my wife prefered a swing out carrier over this unit.

*Features:

Side swing
Silent operation
Anti-rattle/locking
Anti-theft
Multible vehical
Double locking system
DEPARTURE FRIENDLY
Parking lot friendly
14.5 lbs in weight
USPS shippable worldwide
Retails for aprox. $235.00 US ....

This style system has been booty fabbed by many individuals over the years, there is 1 actual company that offers a swing 'back' unit, it's $349.00 and is not depature friendly nor double locking, nor anti-rattle. Admit idly, I used to chuckle at these systems, they've never been depature friendly and always swung back which might be fine on the trail, but not in a parking lot into traffic while creating a trip hazard at the same time. After alot of thinking and looking around, I incorperated as many features as possible into the design. As with anything, it won't be right for everyone, I consider it simply another option for XJ and other vehical owners. This item should be on the website by mid to late Oct. Thankyou for your feedback, I'd like to hear more.

:thumbsup:

bluedragon436
09-24-2011, 11:17 AM
Hell for that pricing you def. can't complain about it at all.. I was thinking while I was looking at the pics at work today, that it would probably not be a chosen product by most females (no offense to any of them!!)... but it is an awesome product for sure.. and can see it being a very nice remedy to an oversize spare storage issue!!

DETOURS
09-28-2011, 10:51 AM
Received an email with links to other sites with questions, I'll just keep it all here for now.....

Shipping:
Germany~ Aprox. $90
Australia~ Aprox. $125
New Zealand~ Aprox. $128
These are all qoutes via USPS Priority.

The design is for the off roader in mind with consideration of approach & depature angles, not towing, not recovery. Recovery points can be achieved by using Detours C3R's (http://www.detoursusa.com/c3r.php) or something similar. It's side decent is designed to remain tight to the body of the vehical, uncumbersome, and out of the way of traffic in a parking lot situation.

As previously noted, it's not for everyone but it is packed with as many features as possible in a tight, sensible, light weight package.

Hope this helps with a few of those questions out there. :thumbsup:

xj4life2
09-28-2011, 05:57 PM
Ok so how soon till thier ready to ship? oh and have you tried them with any other bumper than stock ? I don't think it would be an issue but had to ask. Shipping here in the US ?

cantab27
09-28-2011, 11:02 PM
the aussies are asking Q............................

jccatt
09-29-2011, 01:07 AM
I use the rear hitch as a recovery point, so shackle on this would be good

msmoorenburg
09-29-2011, 06:42 AM
Will it have a receiver option? I need to haul the rest of my junk around on a trailer :D

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y299/msmoorenburg/IMG_20110810_171109.jpg

DETOURS
09-29-2011, 08:18 AM
Reading..........is fundamental.

As previously noted, it can not, and will not have a recovery point, an alternative recovery point has been suggested. It will not have a hitch option as it takes away from it's intended design.

Aftermarket bumpers......it will not work with a hitch 'with'in' the aftermarket bumper. Clearance, as the norm....I will work with customers using an aftermarket bumper and class 2-3 hitch combo, this will involve a couple simple measurements and possibly a photo from the interested party, from there we'll determan if the product will work 'as is' or if we need to modify.

The knuckleBone should be available mid-October, I currently have a heavy work load and dont wish to add to it.

USA shipping will depend on zip code as usual, I'd like to use USPS on this item, so as an example.....if I was to mail to Paradise, CA the cost would be $27.00......thats very comparable with FedEx & UPS.....if not less.

Overall.....Again this item is designed for the off roader, the problem I saw with this design within previous fabrications was approach and departure. Thus the 'knuckle' design at it's base, providing maximum clearance. If I was to add a hitch or recovery, I would loose the the wedge lock system, the anti theft portion of the system and loose approach/departure benefits. It makes 'no' sense to me to add 6-10" of material protruding from one of the lowest area of the vehical. It won't be right for everyone, you'll rarely find anything out there that is.

Thanks again for your questions, comments.......keep them coming!;)

Mudderoy
09-29-2011, 08:49 AM
Yep to me this seems like a great way to move the center of gravity from the top of your Jeep down a foot or two and make the spare more accessible. Great for camping when you need the room in the cargo area for supplies, tent and accessories.

I don't tow much but I could see the simple solution would be to throw the spare in the back when I needed to.

DETOURS
09-29-2011, 09:04 AM
I don't tow much but I could see the simple solution would be to throw the spare in the back when I needed to.

I actually have a 'KJ' customer who added an additional 2" reciever to the drivers side of his class 2/3 hitch. He did this for 2 reasons, the 1st being the lack of lift available for KJ's and it's 'side swing' rear door, it did not clear the door when centered. The second reason was he requested a second KnuckleBone for the other side of the vehical where he again plans to add an additional reciever. The second KnuckleBone will operate in the opposite direction and retain jerry cans. Pretty slick set up, always willing to work with creative minds!

Mudderoy
09-29-2011, 09:07 AM
I actually have a 'KJ' customer who added an additional 2" reciever to the drivers side of his class 2/3 hitch. He did this for 2 reasons, the 1st being the lack of lift available for KJ's and it's 'side swing' rear door, it did not clear the door when centered. The second reason was he requested a second KnuckleBone for the other side of the vehical where he again plans to add an additional reciever. The second KnuckleBone will operate in the opposite direction and retain jerry cans. Pretty slick set up, always willing to work with creative minds!

Yeah but it's a Liberty! :out: :D

msmoorenburg
09-29-2011, 09:18 AM

Don't hate on the liberty now its a shade of Green!

well i guess i need to save more penny's for the tailbone

DETOURS
09-29-2011, 09:19 AM

A 'Wheeling' Liberty..........Can't be like that, we're all Jeepers firing different weapons of affection....:sniper:

Mudderoy
09-29-2011, 09:20 AM
Don't hate on the liberty now its a shade of Green!

A 'Wheeling' Liberty..........Can't be like that, we're all Jeepers firing different weapons of affection....:sniper:

Hey I think the Liberties are great! I mean I think it's wonderful that VW is now making and 4x4 VW Beatle!

DETOURS
09-29-2011, 09:21 AM

Or put your skills to work like the previously mentioned KJ owner, I think those 'add on' recievers are only 20 bucks or so....;)

DETOURS
09-29-2011, 11:19 AM
GAME ON!!!

I just got word 10 minutes ago the Northern Maine Expedition to "The Trains" is 'on' and enroute.......This is the expedition I had mentioned earlier inwhich the KnuckleBone would be tested, the expedition is to be documented complete with professional photographer, The KJ is also out fitted with Detours BackBone winch mount. Should be kool to follow, cell service will be limited though, the expedition is expected to take 4-7 days once off pavement.

Couple pic's of the KJ, prior to moving the carrier-

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c242/Detoursusa/313298_2317728712264_1520891567_2515459_7647033_nA NTHONY.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c242/Detoursusa/316969_2317726952220_1520891567_2515451_4418253_nA NTHONY.jpg

Part of the idea of the KnuckleBone is that it can be used on multible vehicals, not just XJ's.....;)

TWDJ
10-14-2011, 12:26 PM
Mark, how did the expedition turn out? Good news I hope.

Actually went out this morning with the tape measure to see where I can mount another receiver to my hitch ... as close as possible to the existing. Figure I'd put the KnuckleBone in the offset receiver so the recovery point would have the standard/strongest receiver for tugging.
=====

DETOURS
10-15-2011, 10:49 AM
If one was to go further left or right.......it would leave an option to add yet another hitch for a possible jerry can set up.......;) KJ owner is doing exactly that....

I can't find Anthony from the expedition........I'm still in the dark, although I do know his girls XJ blew a head gasket just before the trip.....he might have his hands full....I'll try again today.

Northern Tool has those add on hitches for like 8 bucks.....

dagr8tim
10-16-2011, 04:01 PM
I know what I want for Christmas. Looks awesome.

DETOURS
10-20-2011, 11:42 AM
OKAY......Finally heard something from Antonio about the expedition....Here'
the email:

hey hows it going, I've had a hell of a month, my computer shit the bed, and my fathers been sick so I haven't had much time to get things going with the write up.
but what I can tell you is that we traveled over 800 miles and 6-8 hours of that, was on unmaintained roads. we had to double back because of gas issues. it was mixed weather, but it mostly rained,
theres some things I would change about the jeep, mostly the sleeping situation setting up a tent in the rain sucked, also a draw system would be great. it was a bitch with ammo cans coolers and rubber-made containers and bags.

the tire carrier was amazing I have 3,000+ miles on it at this point and its rattle free, some of the roads up there we were doing 45-60mph all rutted dirt roads with spots of hub deep mud, slowing us down a bit but we had a great time

by the third day we mad it with in 2.8 miles of the trains and had to park the jeeps and walk in, of course that day was 48F out, raining, we pulled off the road onto were the old logging road started and sunk up to the hubs again.
we all got bundled up with rain gear pack gps maps and my Saiga Shot gun, it was the end of moose's season and we had seen alot of them , and its the time of year that the bears are looking for food before bedding down, so I was not taking any chances.

the walk in was hell Knee deep mud, water No real trail we would stop and try to ping a gps signal, it was hit or miss with that, then maps were new but not accurate. the woods got so dense that in some spots I had to take me pack off push it through the trees and climb through or under overhanging branches. Ive never seen anything like it.
It took us 3 hours to get 1.5 miles in. and day light was not on our side we had parked the jeeps around 11:30am it was not the place to spend the night or have to back track in the dark. it was so easy to get turned around.

after another hour we came to a clearing that looked like a swamp pinged a signal and checked the map again we were less than a mile from the trains and could not get to them with out a boat!!! beavers had dammed the area and we were stuck.

the hike out was hard wet and cold . We are going to go next year but come in from the north side with the jeeps park and take kayak's across. we also found out theres a B-52C crash site from the 60s on one of the mountains it was carrying 4 nukes lol we want to get to that too so were thinking a full 4-5 days.
We think another vehicle would be a good idea too. so I might build up the Cherokee.

Just to give you an idea we were 45 mins from Quebec, all the land we were on had been private land owned by the logging companies.
Mark I must tell you this was an amazing trip, I cant wait to get up there again its like being on another planet, you would go for hour with out seeing any sign of people. if you ran into trouble out there all you could do is sit tight and wait for someone to realize you were missing.

I'll get to the full write up this month. we took around 500 pics so we have some good stuff.
We are looking to do (1 big Expo trip a year) and I'm hoping with in a year or 2 we can get some sponsorship.

Sounds like they had fun, I lived in this area/region for 5 years.....the forest is like 1 non stop fence, it's crazy thick, I was also aware and concerned over the timing of the trip, which had been put off for a month.....it gets very wet up there, like tundra soggy......pretty kool shiat!

bluedragon436
10-21-2011, 10:15 AM
That sounds like an awesome time.. He is located in Maine, so I was just wondering if he was referring to the B-52 crash on Elephant Mt?? Glad to hear a real world review of the KnuckleBone, after some rough miles.. not just being driven down the road.. Another awesome product built by you, Mark!!

DETOURS
10-21-2011, 04:04 PM
He actually lives in Mass, has a cabin in Maine & his partner resides in New Hampshire. Elephant Mt. I'm unfamiliar with, but quite possibly yes....that region was a regular for B52's due to Loring AFB in Limestone, ME.

We've had a number of emails since, he's dumping the KJ in favor of an '01 XJ, which he has yet to build. I've also stepped up as thier 1st sponsor to the soon to be organized group......these guy's plan so far in advance, I just might be able to get my XJ up there for a trip with them. :thumbsup:

bluedragon436
10-21-2011, 09:10 PM
Nothing wrong with an organization that organizes stuff in advance and has stuff planned.. And congrats on the sponsorship.. I hope they get a few others to help make it an even better time... I would love to get up with a group like that... heck even if it is for one trip a year..

DETOURS
10-22-2011, 05:47 PM
If you were closer...........I'd suggest.
Right now, they're looking for supplying vendors to support the vehicals, my hat's tossed in, I think Treadwright is onboard as well for tires.

Love the Treadwrites!

DETOURS
10-22-2011, 05:51 PM
From whats been suggested, the new XJ will be 100% Detours......;)
Theres talk of bringing 2 vehicals here for ideas/fabrication.......

bluedragon436
10-22-2011, 05:56 PM
Yeah looking at picking up a set of Treadwrights for my wife's truck right after I get back from this TDY.. will probably pick up a set of their MT's for my XJ when I have the money to pick up a set of 16's.. since they don't offer them for 15's anymore..

Would be awesome to see the outcome of them bringing vehicles down for R&D.. Also would love to see an XJ that is running 100% Detours upgrades..