PDA

View Full Version : BF GoodRich KM2 MT 33x12.5x15 tires.

Mudderoy
09-15-2011, 09:13 AM
My wife and I bought our 1998 Jeep new. I've had many sets of tires on it since we bought it, but about 4 years ago I lifted it and put some BFG MT KM 32x11.5.15 tires on it. The 32's were nice at first, much louder than the stock GoodYear Wranglers that I had run many times before, but that is what I expected for a mud terrain.

After about 6 months they started to scallop, or cup on the outside edges. Front only. The ride got very rough. Replacing wheel bearings, putting on a heavier duty shock seemed to help the situation, but not completely cure it.

As I would rotate front to back and have the tires balanced I would get varying degrees of a smooth ride.

Yesterday I purchased a set of BFG KM2 MT 33x12.5x15. This was the size I knew I wanted originally, but I didn't have the money for all the mods to ensure I would have enough open fender space. I'll say I really liked the tread pattern on the KM's better.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-vEBgVgg2_Zw/TnFon4vLXYI/AAAAAAAABMw/0WnuqBxFahU/s1024/2011-09-14%25252017.42.48.jpg

As I drove out of Discount Tire things just didn't feel right. And I mean as soon as I started driving forward. Not when I got out on the street.

There was NO, or at least very little vibration, noise, and I felt like I was floating on something. It was a very strange feeling. As soon as I got out on to the road the feeling persisted. The Jeep was just as responsive to steering wheel input, so it wasn't anything that felt dangerous, just very very different.

I accelerated out on to I-10 to head home. It was a little harder to get the Jeep up to speed, but this could just be due to me being in a NEW situation and perhaps just being hyper critical.

I ran the Jeep up to 70 in short order and maintained that speed easily. I brought up the GPS speedometer to see how far off my analog speedo was from the calculated GPS speed. Between 1 and 1.7 MPH slower.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-qPfXxZXyW90/TnFoCRjO8iI/AAAAAAAABMQ/cGTrq816hXc/s1024/2011-09-14%25252018.31.57.jpg

After getting her home I picked up the wife and kiddos and we headed out for a meal. With in a mile I started getting comments. First from my wife. "This is SO much quieter!" "So I guess it was the tires?" One of my daughters "Hey I can hear myself think!"

I don't believe anyone said anything about the smoothness of the ride but they all noticed a vast difference in the level of sound that was in the Jeep. My wife said "It doesn't sound like it is echoing in here anymore." I believe she even said "This is even pleasant to ride in now!"

All these comments were spontaneous, not in response to 35 questions from me all being "So what do you think?!?!?!?" They did know the tires had been changed, but I don't believe they would have commented if they hadn't noticed a real audible change.

So as I mentioned at the top of this review I just bought these, so I have yet to have them long enough to experience any problems like I did with the KM tires. Time will tell, and of course, I'll update this thread as they do.

I am very happy with my purchase and the smoothness and much lower volume on a semi aggressive mud tire, well if they last 4 years and 50k+ miles like the KM's I'll be a very happy camper.

At the time of the writing of this review I highly recommend these tires. :patriot:

bluedragon436
09-15-2011, 09:51 AM
I would love to pick up a set of 33 KM2's to replace my current tires once they are worn out..

4.3LXJ
09-15-2011, 10:23 AM
One other thing you might notice Tony is that the KM2s have a flexier sidewall. I had some next to my KMs at the same tire pressure on another XJ and they give a better foot print which I think is a better situation off road.

xj4life2
09-15-2011, 10:28 AM
My biggest question is where did you end up getting them and how much did they run out per tire.I'm very close to pulling the trigger on a new set and these are on my list but so far I have found them to be quite a bit more than the rest of the tires in the same class by as much as $40.00. I hope thats not just a Ca. thing.

Mudderoy
09-15-2011, 10:28 AM
One other thing you might notice Tony is that the KM2s have a flexier sidewall. I had some next to my KMs at the same tire pressure on another XJ and they give a better foot print which I think is a better situation off road.

That might explain the softer feel. I don't feel the road as much anymore. :spongebob:

cantab27
09-15-2011, 01:07 PM
looking good tony..(did i just type that!!)...good choice on rubber, very popular down here... have won last couple of tire test in local 4wd mag........

prerunner1982
09-15-2011, 01:58 PM
Looks good. I didn't like the tread design at first either, but they are growing on me the more I see them.

bluedragon436
09-23-2011, 02:33 AM
I am also interested to see how these tires last over time.. I have heard quite a few good stories from folks that run the KM2's.. But would like to see how they hold up on an XJ being used for DD as well as some wheeling, which would be the same as the use would be on my XJ if I were to pick up a set..

cherokeewrecker
09-23-2011, 08:45 PM
They are a very good tire. I'm running 31's on my jeep and it handles great, compared to when I had the super swampers on. I know when I got them they were more money than say a Goodyear MTR but BFG is a high quality tire... So pretty much any tire made by BFG is gonna usually have a greater price tag on it. But the only critisism I have is they aren't great in mud unless your in 4wd... The tread wear so far is pretty good and my XJ is a DD...

As I am in the tire business I know a lot of people running these tires around where I live and they all like them. Doing my jeep besides doing them on a lifted taco are the only 2 sets we have sold so far because they are easier to order online( BFG usually doesnt produce quantity like they used to so many are on backorder).

Hope my 2 cents helps someone

bluedragon436
09-24-2011, 02:26 AM
Thank you for your feedback for the long term DD use of these tires..

cherokeewrecker
09-24-2011, 08:21 PM
No problem! Glad to help out when I can.

KH96XJ
09-25-2011, 12:12 AM
My friend has a set of 31" on the Dakota he bought off me. They really are much quieter than the older km tires. So far his tread is wearing very well after a year and a half and hasn't really given him any problems the few times he has taken it down some muddy trails.

IZAREBL
10-03-2011, 10:22 PM
i have them in 33x10.5x8, but they actually measure out to 32''. wish i had the 12.5s.....

but none the less, i love them offroad. and they do great on the road.

Mudderoy
10-04-2011, 07:08 AM
i have them in 33x10.5x8, but they actually measure out to 32''. wish i had the 12.5s.....

but none the less, i love them offroad. and they do great on the road.

I think I remember reading that the 33's measure 32.8 inches, those bastards they think they are selling computer monitors!

IZAREBL
10-04-2011, 10:09 PM
I think I remember reading that the 33's measure 32.8 inches, those bastards they think they are selling computer monitors!

i know! it pisses me off how they false advertise and over price their stuff, even if they are my favorite tires lol.

cherokeewrecker
10-14-2011, 10:05 PM
A lot of tire companies are like that though. The printed size on the sidewall may not be the actual size when you measure, different brands and series will vary.

jjg116
11-18-2011, 06:54 AM
NiceXJ, I want to put 33's on my 99 XJ and was wondering what size your lift is. I have a rough country 4.5" I was also wondering about the hood scoop. Thanks

XJ Rat
11-18-2011, 07:10 AM
Hey Tony;
Try them out off road on Sunday. Just some light wheeling.

Mudderoy
11-18-2011, 07:12 AM
Hey Tony;
Try them out off road on Sunday. Just some light wheeling.

Rig is down due to transmission issues.

LizardRunner
11-18-2011, 08:22 AM
I guess the tire companies round up.:smiley-laughing021: Actually the size of the mold is 33" but when the rubber cools from vulcanization the tire will shrink a tad. if you were to "heat" them up they would grow back to that 33" measurement. I actually like the tread pattern of the KM2's, a little cutting and you can have some sweet mudding tires that will throw the goop everywhere.

bigjim350
05-19-2012, 01:49 AM
Came across this KM2 at work. It didnt go flat just lots its tread. The guy said he didnt hit anything. Im sure its a rare thing though and not common.
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b249/bigjim350/IMG_20120330_150222.jpg

xjrev10
05-19-2012, 05:57 PM
Just put a set of KM2s on my 08 Cummins tow rig. See how they hold up to 400hp and towing 7-10k all the time...They are noisy on my truck.

oderdene
03-08-2013, 10:11 PM
after year and a half, what about a KM2? How many miles you drove and ho did they wear?

4.3LXJ
03-08-2013, 10:14 PM
I have had them on for a year and a half now. Rear tires look like new. Fronts started cupping. They are very sensitive to alignment issues. They ride nice and get good off road traction.

ALS XJ
03-28-2013, 10:40 AM
I've been running Cooper STT's (Made in the good 'ol U. S. of A) of the 31" variety and must say...very little wear, NO cupping whatsoever and superb on-off road handling! At a fraction of BFG's pricing...$160. ea. I have run both the BFG early style Mud-Terrain and All-Terrain and although my favorite all time was the BFG A/T (got 70k out of 'em)...my Coopers are extremely aggressive looking, not loud at all and have a decent ride (for a mudder). I would HIGHLY recommend them...just my 2 pennies!