PDA

View Full Version : XJScarlet's Project

XJScarlet
09-08-2011, 07:47 PM
This is my cherry bomb, she is bone stock right now. I have invested all of my money into seals, gaskets, u-joints, and such. The only place I have a leak now is from the t-case.

I am in the process of altering the interior. I have started ripping out the carpet so I can Herculine the bottom, but have run into some rust. I removed the center console and replaced it with one out of a 99 TJ. I will post pictures when I am done. I couldn't deal with the size of that thing.

In about two weeks we are pulling the head to fix an exhaust leak. The stud on the back, near the firewall is broken. (SURPRISE!) I will be doing the head gasket at that time.

Recently someone gave me a 2 inch lift, so I might put that on. I want bigger tires, but I don't think I am ready to do any fender trimming. So I am undecided there.

She is my daily driver, so I have to keep things quick, and street legal. For now.....

http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n602/the_scarlet_dahlia/IMG_0603.jpg

http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n602/the_scarlet_dahlia/IMG_0602.jpg

http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n602/the_scarlet_dahlia/IMG_0601.jpg

http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n602/the_scarlet_dahlia/IMG_0209.jpg
I wasn't very happy this night, it was cold and all I wanted to do was replace seals in the OFA. Finally I had results.

XJScarlet
09-08-2011, 07:48 PM
OOPS! Sorry about the picture size! I will watch that next time! :o

cantab27
09-08-2011, 08:22 PM
and so it begins..... looks like a nice straight xj there...

prcjeep
09-08-2011, 08:22 PM
eh Im not worried about the picture size but im interested in seeing the tj console in there

XJScarlet
09-08-2011, 08:42 PM
I will post some pictures of the TJ console tomorrow. I am not finished, so you can't harass me about it's unfinished nature. I am getting creative, and enjoying it.

LizardRunner
09-08-2011, 08:52 PM
well at least you named it scarlett and not red buttons. Seriously though, sweet looking starter rig.

XJScarlet
09-08-2011, 08:55 PM
Thank you. :)

LizardRunner
09-08-2011, 08:56 PM
Your Welcome ! wish mine had that good a clear coat left.

XJScarlet
09-08-2011, 09:03 PM
I can see places the clear coat is starting to break down. There are also some pretty bad cancerous places on the roof.

But all in all, she's in good shape. I have painted some things, especially the silver stuff, I am the anti silver. :) Flat black baby. ;)

I have noticed some rust in the tub, not anywhere critical, but does anyone have any suggestions on what do to? I want to make sure I fix it, so my Jeep doesn't make me think of the Flintstones?

bigjim350
09-08-2011, 11:23 PM
Flat black goes great with GREEN......just sayin'

bluedragon436
09-09-2011, 05:41 AM
Looks like a nice start you have there.. I am also waiting to see the pics of the TJ console.. There are a few threads on here of where folks have fixed their floor panels due to rust.. Don't be worried about going to larger tires on a DD.. there are quite a few folks on here who drive their XJ's on DD duties with 32+" tires.. including myself.. I am running 7.5" of lift and 33's on my DD, and drive almost 45mins each way to and from work.. Look forward to seeing how your herculiner turns out on your floor, as I have been contemplating pulling my carpet and doing Herculier on the interior.. especially since I live on a farm, so I am constantly tracking mud, and other shit into my Jeep!!

XJScarlet
09-09-2011, 12:38 PM
Thanks!

I am also worried about tire size and rubbing. Without trimming the fenders, how big can you go before you have a problem? (with a 2inch lift)

My bro in law is going to weld a couple plates on the floor board for me, where the rust has actually gone through.

Here is the center console so far:
I am still measuring and making adjustments, as I still need to rip the carpet out. I also need to make something for the heat vent that comes out underneath. My motivation was the fact that the one piece console was noisy, space consuming, and unusable. And it had no cup holders!

http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n602/the_scarlet_dahlia/IMG_0607.jpg

http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n602/the_scarlet_dahlia/IMG_0609.jpg

LizardRunner
09-09-2011, 12:59 PM
Before you weld in those plates don't forget to get completly rid of the rust, it will just come back to haunt you if you don't. With a 2" lift you can run 30-31 tires with no rubbing at all and probably get away with 32's if you don't crank it all the way

XJScarlet
10-11-2011, 09:04 PM
Next weekend I am pulling the head on Scarlet. I have a few friends to help out, but none of us have done it before. I need to fix the broken stud on the back of the i6. The exhaust leak is getting bad.

Any advice? Anything I should have on hand?
:stars:

cantab27
10-11-2011, 11:09 PM
beer ,,lots of beer......

Mudderoy
10-12-2011, 01:10 AM
Next weekend I am pulling the head on Scarlet. I have a few friends to help out, but none of us have done it before. I need to fix the broken stud on the back of the i6. The exhaust leak is getting bad.

Any advice? Anything I should have on hand?
:stars:

Don't forget that the head bolts can only be reused once. I think that's right.

XJScarlet
01-14-2012, 07:22 PM
It's been a little while, I ended up not getting the exhaust problem taken care of. However, I was able to find a fellow Jeep enthusiast who passed my Jeep on emissions. I am safe for another year. As soon as it warms up I will make it happen.

Why was I never told what an expensive mistress a Jeep can be? :rolleyes:

4.3LXJ
01-14-2012, 07:41 PM
Why was I never told what an expensive mistress a Jeep can be? :rolleyes:

We want you to suffer with us :mock:

XJScarlet
01-20-2012, 09:40 PM
OK, I hope some of you are on right now.

HELP!!!
My Jeep's oil pressure gauge started to dip to 0 today, instead of it's usual 20-60 range. I checked the oil and I will be damned if it wasn't almost empty.
I am trying to find where it is leaking, I suspect the valve cover because some of teh bolts were loose. Big f-ing mystery why when I took my radiator cap off does it look like there is dirt in it? There is no green fluid whatsoever? But my temp is the same? If you live in SLC, UT come over, I have beer. lol!

Seriously, help?

4.3LXJ
01-20-2012, 09:54 PM
I assume you put oil in it. Better flush that radiator good. Then we will go from there.

cantab27
01-20-2012, 09:58 PM
must be a hellva leak ....................

XJScarlet
01-20-2012, 10:01 PM
I am mystified, I checked my oil a month ago and it was good. However, the whole engine looks like it took an oil bath.

cantab27
01-20-2012, 10:04 PM
fill with oil..... buy a degreaser, wash engine , watch for leaks...tis a red thing dani.....

4.3LXJ
01-20-2012, 10:27 PM
must be a hellva leak ....................

We might have more than one issue to deal with here on this one Wayne:bang:

XJScarlet
01-20-2012, 11:16 PM
I think I may have it figured.

I pulled the spark plugs to see if they were covered in oil, they are perfect.
However, when I pulled them, I bumped the heater control valve and it broke into 5 pieces. I think I solved the coolant issue.

The valve cover bolts were loose, and the gasket is toast.

I figure I replace the gasket, do an oil change, replace the HCV and flush the cooling system and I should be good, right?

What do you think? I am under the damn thing as we speak, so if you think of anything tell me now.

:p

XJScarlet
01-20-2012, 11:17 PM
Btw, have I mentioned how grateful I am for a unseasonably warm January? lol!

cantab27
01-20-2012, 11:30 PM
sounds good...o yeah grab a beer before ya head back out and under it

XJScarlet
01-20-2012, 11:34 PM
OH! And don't think I missed that Red comment. Good thing I took pictures of 3 green ones at the junkyard, the junkyard that had NO red ones. :P
:D

cantab27
01-20-2012, 11:47 PM
ha ha ha.................

Mudderoy
01-21-2012, 12:09 AM
OK, I hope some of you are on right now.

HELP!!!
My Jeep's oil pressure gauge started to dip to 0 today, instead of it's usual 20-60 range. I checked the oil and I will be damned if it wasn't almost empty.
I am trying to find where it is leaking, I suspect the valve cover because some of teh bolts were loose. Big f-ing mystery why when I took my radiator cap off does it look like there is dirt in it? There is no green fluid whatsoever? But my temp is the same? If you live in SLC, UT come over, I have beer. lol!

Seriously, help?

Rear main seal is the most common. Also the 3 "O" rings that the thing the oil filter screws into. Yeah valve cover makes sense. How often do you check your oil level?

The dirty coolant, yep, flush her out a few times.

XJScarlet
01-21-2012, 12:18 AM
I did the rear main 7 the oil pan gasket in about April. They better not be the issue! I also did the OFA seals, also a night of pure frustration.

When I checked my valve cover gasket, some of the bolts were so loose I could wiggle them with my fingers. It would seem that the issue would be something so simple, it's my luck. :stars:

I check my oil every month, because I am paranoid. I guess I am not paranoid enough. Although, I always pay attention to my oil gauge, as fickle as it is.

Mudderoy
01-21-2012, 01:27 AM
I did the rear main 7 the oil pan gasket in about April. They better not be the issue! I also did the OFA seals, also a night of pure frustration.

When I checked my valve cover gasket, some of the bolts were so loose I could wiggle them with my fingers. It would seem that the issue would be something so simple, it's my luck. :stars:

I check my oil every month, because I am paranoid. I guess I am not paranoid enough. Although, I always pay attention to my oil gauge, as fickle as it is.

Well since the oil level got down so low I'd check it more often until you find the leak.

XJScarlet
01-21-2012, 12:22 PM
So I have my valve cover off and I am cleaning it up.

Last time I replaced this gasket I followed torque specs, which obviously don't hold.

Any advice? Can I torque the bolts down slightly more without damaging my gasket?

XJScarlet
01-21-2012, 06:41 PM
So, I accidentally broke this little plastic thing that compresses the spring on the accelerator cable. It's a dealer part, and it's saturday night. I would rather get one from the junk yard anyway. I hate the dealer.

I rednecked it. I wired it down, took Scarlet out for a spin. Works enough for me. :pray: Hopefully Murphy's Law will give me a little break.

Everything else looks good so far.

Mudderoy
01-21-2012, 06:47 PM
So I have my valve cover off and I am cleaning it up.

Last time I replaced this gasket I followed torque specs, which obviously don't hold.

Any advice? Can I torque the bolts down slightly more without damaging my gasket?

What about using some blue loctite on it?

XJScarlet
01-22-2012, 10:56 AM
Will do!

XJScarlet
03-09-2012, 08:46 PM
So, I think I have the leak taken care of, but I don't want to jinx myself.

I had a moment of brilliance when I received my tax returns.

Buy BFG's. Buy them big. Buy them NOW.

:bang:

They rub. (Duh!)

So now I have to put a lift on Scarlet.

:cheerleader:

KH96XJ
03-10-2012, 10:22 PM
Lifts are good :)

alwaysxj
03-11-2012, 11:55 PM
Looking good! what part of Utah you in?

XJScarlet
03-12-2012, 05:29 PM
South Jordan for now. :)

XJScarlet
05-27-2012, 03:29 PM
After breaking TWO 21mm deep sockets; I PB'd the hell out of the upper rear shackle bolts for a month, then used this freeze bolt release stuff. It was slow, but I got them out, without breaking the welded nut in the chassis. I want a gold star sticker.
http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/k571/gratuitouselfpromotion/Jeep/IMG_1364.jpg
http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/k571/gratuitouselfpromotion/Jeep/IMG_1357.jpg

I got the 2" lift on. Tires are no longer rubbing, and I am a happy camper!
:chuck:

4.3LXJ
05-27-2012, 06:30 PM
:congrats::gay::gay::gay:

cantab27
05-27-2012, 09:40 PM
looks way better..........wheeling pics next..........please

KH96XJ
05-27-2012, 09:40 PM
:thumbsup:Looks good

XJScarlet
05-27-2012, 11:21 PM
Thanks!

Wheeling pics will happen after I get new shocks on the rear, they are about shot and I might have snapped the lower shock mount bolt....... Nothing a little JB weld won't take care of in the short term.

I think I have this novice backyard XJ mechanic thing figured out......
When I am fixing one thing, I WILL break something else. As long as I anticipate that, I am good!