PDA

View Full Version : AW4 Changing Filter and fluid. (1998 4.0L, AW4)

Mudderoy
06-29-2009, 03:09 AM
Well not much of a write up, but maybe it will be helpful if you've never done this before.

I've done lots of things to my various vehicles, but it dawned on me that I have NEVER changed a automatic transmission filter and fluid before today!
I had it done on my Jeep at about 90k miles, woefully over due.

I went to Oreilly's Auto Parts and picked up a AW4 automatic transmission filter, about $20.

I also picked up some ATF+4 automatic transmission fluid. I was going to get the Mopar brand, but Wal-Mart either doesn't carry it any longer, or was out.

I picked up 4 quarts of Castrol synthetic ATF+4

** Correction, I should have used DEXTRON III, but check your owner's manual before you select the transmission fluid for your transmission.

http://www.castrol.com/liveassets/bp_internet/castrol/castrol_usa/STAGING/local_assets/images/products/08ATF_4.jpg

My owner's manual said 4 quarts for a fluid change. My plan was to do 50/50. 50% old transmission fluid and 50% new, so I bought 2 extra quarts.

My mechanic recommended the 50/50 mix to me when he first changed the fluid on my XJ at 90k miles. He had seen transmissions fail because too much of the band material that was suspended in the fluid was removed, this let the bands slip. That material was what USED to be on the bands. Removing that coupled with to much of the "clutch like" material from the bands would cause the transmission to slip. My rig is now at 147k miles, so again I am doing the 50/50 mix.

I also picked up a NEW plastic pan to capture the fluid, since I was going to reuse it and this pan was completely open on the top. I figured this would make it easier to poor it back in another container, then poor into the transmission fill tube.

So I removed the drain bolt on the bottom of the AW4 pan. Then I removed the 605 bolts that hold the pan to the bottom of the transmission. More fluid drained out.

I had to separate the tube on the pan from the fill tube that runs up into the engine compartment. You can see where they meet, one just slides into the other. I had to rotate the pan back and forth while pulling down.

Once that was out I laid the pan to the side.

I opened the box containing the new filter. I compared it to the old filter. Yep looked identical.

I removed the 4 bolts that held the old filter in place. More fluid drained out. A lot more than I expected.

With the filter removed I laid it to the side.

I took a blue shot paper towel and clean the underside of the exposed transmission. I cleaned the area that the pan and gasket would be placed.

I took the new filter out of it's plastic bag and installed it. Very easy. I put in all four bolts leaving them loose. Once everything was lined up, I snugged them down, then went back and tightened them. I noticed that these bolts were tighter (when I removed them) than the pan bolts. So I tried to tighten these a little more than I was going to tighten the pan bolts.

I then cleaned the pan, checked the magnets in the bottom of the pan for metal. Very little metal, and all very small.

I removed the old gasket from the pan, and cleaned the surface.

I covered the new gasket with a thin film of the old fluid.

I put the new rubbery gasket on the pan, it wouldn't stay in place! So I took all the 605 bolts and pushed them through the pan holes and through the matching holes on the gasket. I put them in just far enough to hold the gasket in place.

I then started screwing in the bolts. I didn't snug ANY of them because I didn't want to distort the pan. I probably spent 30 minutes carefully snugging up the bolts in a criss cross pattern. I noticed that when I took the bolts out they were not very tight. So I tried to put them back the same way. I didn't want to squeeze the rubbery gasket out of shape.

The fill tube and the tube attached to the pan weren't fitting like they should. I had tapped on the mating point while I was mounting and snugging the pan, but they didn't go back completely. So with the pan mounted and tight I tapped on it a few more times and they finally fully mated.

I put in two new quarts of fluid. I used those empty bottles and filled them with the old fluid I had drained earlier. Careful to just get the top of the fluid in the bottles.

I then put in one of the old quarts of fluid.

I checked the fluid, tranny cold, and it showed close to full. 3 quarts wasn't enough, so I put in another NEW quart of ATF+4. I checked it again, and it was full.

I cranked it up and backed it out. Leaving it running so it could heat up and I could check the tranny fluid level hot, like you are supposed to.

I ran it for a little while and once I thought it was hot enough I checked the fluid. NOTHING ON THE STICK!

I thought that 7 quart plastic drain pan looked like more than 4 quarts!

I put in another quart of the old fluid. Checked, nothing, I put in another NEW quart and I was on the stick. I then added 1/2 of the 4th new quart.

Level looked fine, maybe a little too much fluid, but not over the max line.

Test drive showed everything working fine.

muddeprived
06-29-2009, 05:34 AM
You do have an AW4 right? Aren't you supposed to be pouring Dexron III in there instead of atf-4?

When i bought mine, i immediately took it to my tranny guy and had him flush it. The fluid was dark brown and nasty. After flushing it twice, it was nice and red, perfectly clean. I took it home and tore off the pan and replaced the filter then filled it back up myself. I used to do the drain and fill with the tj but i was just wasting new fluid by mixing old with new.

Mudderoy
06-29-2009, 09:23 AM
You do have an AW4 right? Aren't you supposed to be pouring Dexron III in there instead of atf-4?

When i bought mine, i immediately took it to my tranny guy and had him flush it. The fluid was dark brown and nasty. After flushing it twice, it was nice and red, perfectly clean. I took it home and tore off the pan and replaced the filter then filled it back up myself. I used to do the drain and fill with the tj but i was just wasting new fluid by mixing old with new.

My manual said Mopar ATF+3, or Mercon, or Dexron. I forget the spelling and correct numbers because I knew I was going to get the Mopar stuff. When I couldn't find the Mopar I looked for the ATF+4. I read that the ATF+4 meets or exceeds the ATF+3.

quadracer0387
06-29-2009, 01:28 PM
ive heard mixed things about the atf+4... but ive heard the atf+4 is newer and better...
i use atf 4... also ive heard the filter is not worth the hassle in changing often, so i didnt...

quadracer0387
06-29-2009, 01:29 PM
btw nice write up

Mudderoy
06-29-2009, 01:32 PM
Thanks, and thanks for the information. That's the nice thing about write ups, you usually learn more from people that read and comment on it.

muddeprived
06-29-2009, 03:08 PM
My manual said Mopar ATF+3, or Mercon, or Dexron. I forget the spelling and correct numbers because I knew I was going to get the Mopar stuff. When I couldn't find the Mopar I looked for the ATF+4. I read that the ATF+4 meets or exceeds the ATF+3.

That's weird. I'm gonna have to check my manual. From what I've learned, the AW4 is not a DC part and doesn't take atf-4 but I've also read that people can switch to atf but not go back to dexron. Alot of different opinions and info on this.

But hey if it works, it works :)

Voldemort
06-29-2009, 03:14 PM
Good write up. I am scared to change the fluid and filter in mine,cause they run good and I do not want to mess them up.

muddeprived
06-29-2009, 03:46 PM
Hey Mudd, what manual do you have? My Haynes says this:

AW-4 Mercon ATF
727 and 999 Dexron II.

I don't disagree with what you used, just trying to figure out why there are different oil recommendations.

firehawk
06-29-2009, 04:01 PM
I'm with deprived on this one. I've always heard/read that the AW4 takes Dexron II or higher. I know the manual for my 2000 says use Mopar Automatic transmission Fluid, OR equivalent Dexron II or Mercon fluid. So I assume there is a difference between Mopar automatic transmission fluid, and the ATF+3.

It DOES state to use ATF+3 or ATF+3 Type 7176 for the automatic with the 2.5L four cylinder. I've read that the ATF+3 and higher fluids were made for Chrysler transmissions because of additives for the type of band/clutch material they use. Someone PLEASE correct me if I am wrong.:(

Mudderoy
06-29-2009, 04:20 PM
Hey Mudd, what manual do you have? My Haynes says this:

AW-4 Mercon ATF
727 and 999 Dexron II.

I don't disagree with what you used, just trying to figure out why there are different oil recommendations.

I'll have to check my owner's manual again. I thought it said ATF+3. Looking online I see there are disagreements. Some says ATF+4 is bad, some say it is fine to use and they have over 80k miles. None of it says ATF+3 is a choice though.

Not that big of a deal, I can always drain and refill.

muddeprived
06-29-2009, 04:26 PM
I'll have to check my owner's manual again. I thought it said ATF+3. Looking online I see there are disagreements. Some says ATF+4 is bad, some say it is fine to use and they have over 80k miles. None of it says ATF+3 is a choice though.

Not that big of a deal, I can always drain and refill.

I don't think they make atf-3 anymore? I'm not 100% but i never see it anymore. All i see is atf-4.

Mudderoy
06-29-2009, 04:29 PM
I don't think they make atf-3 anymore? I'm not 100% but i never see it anymore. All i see is atf-4.

Yep that is why I got the ATF-4.

Mudderoy
06-29-2009, 04:34 PM
I found this interesting...

NUMBER: 21-014-07
GROUP: Transmission
DATE: October 16, 2007
THIS BULLETIN SUPERSEDES TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN 21-010-06, DATED APRIL 14, 2006, WHICH SHOULD BE REMOVED FROM YOUR FILES. ALL REVISIONS ARE HIGHLIGHTED WITH **ASTERISKS** AND INCLUDES THE ADDITION OF THE ASIAN WARNER (AW4) TRANSMISSION AND ADDITIONAL MODELS AND YEARS.
SUBJECT:
Automatic Transmission Fluid Usage ATF+4 (Type M59602)

1997-2006 (TJ) Wrangler
2001 - 2004 (WG) Grand Cherokee (International Markets)
Vehicles equipped with Gas engines
1999 - 2004 (WJ) Grand Cherokee
2005 - 2008 (WK/WH) Grand Cherokee
2006 - 2008 (XK/XH) Commander
1989 - 1995 (YJ) Wrangler
1989 - 2001 (XJ) Cherokee
1989 - 1993 (MJ) Comanche
1996 - 1998 (ZG) Grand Cherokee (International Markets)
1994 - 1998 (ZJ) Grand Cherokee/Grand Wagoneer

NOTE :**AWA (Asian Warner) transmission are now included in this Service Bulletin. ATF+4(R) is recommended for AW-4 (Asian Warner) transmissions**

NOTE :This Service Bulletin DOES NOT apply to Sprinter transmissions, Crossfire transmissions, MK/PM vehicles equipped with Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT) and WG vehicles equipped with a diesel engine (sales code ENF) and a W5J400 or NAG1 transmission (sales code DGJ).

DISCUSSION:

ATF+4(R) - (Type 9602) is being used as factory fill for Chrysler Group automatic transmissions. ATF+4(R) is recommended for all vehicles equipped with Chrysler Group automatic transmissions EXCEPT FOR THOSE LISTED IN THE NOTE ABOVE.
NOTE :ATF+4(R) must always be used in vehicles that were originally filled with ATF+4(R). DO NOT USE ANY OTHER FLUID.

NOTE :ATF+4(R) is backward compatible with ATF+3, ATF+2, and ATF+. Additionally, ATF+4(R) can be used to top off vehicles that used ATF+3, ATF+2, or ATF+.

NOTE :If ATF+4® is used to service models originally filled with ATF+3, ATF+2, and ATF+ the fluid maintenance schedules listed for that model does not change. The service interval currently in effect for a given model should continue to be followed. Refer to the Service or Owners manual for maintenance schedule directions.

In general terms, If ATF+, ATF+2 or ATF+3 was the recommended fluid, it is now recommended to use ATF+4®

BENEFITS
^ Better anti-wear properties
^ Improved rust/corrosion prevention
^ Controls oxidation
^ Eliminates deposits
^ Controls friction
^ Retains anti-foaming properties
^ Superior properties for low temperature operation

FLUID COLOR

Mopar ATF+4(R) has exceptional durability. However, the red dye used in ATF+4(R) is not permanent; as the fluid ages it may become darker or appear brown in color. ATF+4(R) also has a unique odor that may change with age. With ATF+4(R) fluid, color and odor are no longer indicators of fluid condition and do not necessarily support a fluid change.

Mudderoy
06-29-2009, 04:51 PM
I'm going to double check it but I am 99% sure this is what my owner's manual said.

MOPAR ATF fluid or equivalent labeled DEXRON II or MERCON fluid

So how should I read this?

Mudderoy
06-29-2009, 06:19 PM
Nope, you guys are right. My owners manual says Dex III or Merc. ATF+3 is for the trans on the 2.5 4 cylinder.

Now I wonder what we put in it back at 90k miles!?!?!?

I'll drain and refill with the Dex III, or equivalent.

Mudderoy
06-29-2009, 07:06 PM
lol, ok here's where you guys start giving me a hard time.

The first AT fluid change was at 90k, the 2nd was at 147k, that was yesterday. :D

firehawk
06-29-2009, 07:41 PM
For what it's worth....I run Dexron 3 in mine.

I know some used to put the old Type F in their GM transmissions, TH350/TH400. Type F was thicker than Dexron and it would give a harder shift, less slippage. I never did it in my Chevelle, but knew some did.

It appears that all transmission fluids are getting closer to being the same thing. Example is Dexron/Mercon, and now it seems ATF+4. Just me, but I will continue to use only Dexron 3, or whatever number it becomes in the future, in my AW4.

kmanxj
06-29-2009, 11:02 PM
so what is the best to run lol

i need to do this mine is at 112,000 miles and i have never done it.

y reuse the old fluid?

Mudderoy
06-29-2009, 11:26 PM
material from the bands come off into the fluid. If you remove the old fluid you are removing some of the debris that came off the bands. I have heard stories of people changing their transmission fluid and then the transmission stops working because the bands are now slipping.

Reusing old fluid help keep that band debris floating around and increasing the friction on the bands.

Melissa
06-29-2009, 11:32 PM
Good write up. I am scared to change the fluid and filter in mine,cause they run good and I do not want to mess them up.

My feelings as well

my tranny has over 277,000 miles on it and I have never had the tranny fluid or filter messed with and I have never had a problem

kmanxj
06-30-2009, 05:35 AM
does everyone else reuse their old fluid on here?

and how much you reuse about 50/50 or..?

muddeprived
06-30-2009, 07:08 AM
I don't reuse my old. This is actually the first time I've heard of re-using it. It's new to me. I tend to flush the trannies every 30k. Keep it clean, keep it happy is my motto. :)

Mudderoy
06-30-2009, 07:13 AM
If you change your transmission fluid regularly you should need to re-use the old fluid. When you go 90k and change the fluid, then you might have a non-operational transmission if you don't re-use, at least that is what my mechanic explained to me. I'll have to go back and read my right up, maybe I didn't say anything about the reason why to do the 50/50 mix.

kmanxj
06-30-2009, 08:13 AM
i see but i would never reuse oil and their are always gonna be pieces of bearings in there. ya know? But i change my oil at tops every 3,000 so idk. You are gonna have me searching around now lol

Mudderoy
06-30-2009, 08:31 AM
i see but i would never reuse oil and their are always gonna be pieces of bearings in there. ya know? But i change my oil at tops every 3,000 so idk. You are gonna have me searching around now lol

Hopefully very small pieces, which were in there before I changed the fluid. Also there are two magnets at the bottom of the pan. When I cleaned those there were very few metal fragments.

Believe me I don't like going to all the trouble of changing my transmission fluid to re-use old fluid. Besides, I have to pour the old fluid into a empty quart container, even more work. What bother's me more than the extra work, is having the transmission rebuilt. ;)

Mudderoy
06-30-2009, 08:34 AM
My feelings as well

my tranny has over 277,000 miles on it and I have never had the tranny fluid or filter messed with and I have never had a problem

I've been driving my Jeep well over 100 miles now, and everything is working fine. I fear having to add more gasoline because something might mess up. Problem is with those two sentenses is you WILL have to add more gas, or it WILL stop working.

At 90k before having the transmission fluid changed even though I didn't want to mess up a good thing I knew that eventually if I didn't change the fluid something was going to stop working.

Don't let fear run your life. Edumacate yourself and make the best informed decision you can make. Yes sometimes it will be the wrong one.

Melissa
06-30-2009, 02:43 PM
I've been driving my Jeep well over 100 miles now, and everything is working fine. I fear having to add more gasoline because something might mess up. Problem is with those two sentenses is you WILL have to add more gas, or it WILL stop working.

At 90k before having the transmission fluid changed even though I didn't want to mess up a good thing I knew that eventually if I didn't change the fluid something was going to stop working.

Don't let fear run your life. Edumacate yourself and make the best informed decision you can make. Yes sometimes it will be the wrong one.

If I do change the tranny fluid and filter, should I do the 50/50 back in as I do have so many miles on the tranny? Or go for broke and put all fresh tranny fluid back in and hope for the best?

kryptonitexj
06-30-2009, 02:53 PM
I changed my fluid back at 130000ish miles. I did this when I worked at a GM dealer as a tech. We had a machine that would suck out all the old fluid and exchange it with new (bulk tranny oil). I didn't have any problems afterward. I'm now at 181000 miles. I also changed the filter at the same time. Its about that time again. I think I try to find a Synthetic fluid this time.

Mudderoy
06-30-2009, 03:28 PM
If I do change the tranny fluid and filter, should I do the 50/50 back in as I do have so many miles on the tranny? Or go for broke and put all freah tranny fluid back in and hope for the best?

I would do the 50/50, then in a few weeks, drain and fill with 75/25, then in a few weeks drain and fill with 100/0. I'm thinking 4 weeks or so.

I would research it first, because I don't know, I'm just thinking...

quadracer0387
06-30-2009, 03:33 PM
btw atf+4 is a synthetic oil

firehawk
06-30-2009, 04:59 PM
If you change your transmission fluid regularly you should need to re-use the old fluid. When you go 90k and change the fluid, then you might have a non-operational transmission if you don't re-use, at least that is what my mechanic explained to me. I'll have to go back and read my right up, maybe I didn't say anything about the reason why to do the 50/50 mix.

Huh....Wha.....That I DON'T understand. I have never heard about reusing old fluid. To me it make no sense to bother changing it if your just going to pour it back in.:smiley-scared002:

It makes more sense to me to drain out the 4 qts in the pan, refill and drive it for awhile, drain the pan again, refill and drive awhile etc.... After a few times of doing that you will have completely flushed the old fluid out.

I'm not insinuating your mechanic is wrong, but I have never heard that.

Mudderoy
06-30-2009, 07:00 PM
Huh....Wha.....That I DON'T understand. I have never heard about reusing old fluid. To me it make no sense to bother changing it if your just going to pour it back in.:smiley-scared002:

It makes more sense to me to drain out the 4 qts in the pan, refill and drive it for awhile, drain the pan again, refill and drive awhile etc.... After a few times of doing that you will have completely flushed the old fluid out.

I dunno. I watched him like a hawk the first serveral times he worked on my Jeep. He's a friend of the family, and a good guy, but my Jeep is my baby. Anyway he never steered me wrong, so I trusted him on this.

Like I said, I didn't like the idea of putting some of the old fluid back either.

Melissa
06-30-2009, 07:57 PM
I would do the 50/50, then in a few weeks, drain and fill with 75/25, then in a few weeks drain and fill with 100/0. I'm thinking 4 weeks or so.

I would research it first, because I don't know, I'm just thinking...

That was kind of what I thinking as well, I'll look into it and ask a few more questions, then get it done.

muddeprived
06-30-2009, 08:51 PM

After a few times you will have exceeded the price of just getting a flush, which is a one-time fix and it's clean.

firehawk
06-30-2009, 09:14 PM
After a few times you will have exceeded the price of just getting a flush, which is a one-time fix and it's clean.

You're most likely right.:) BUT....I HATE with a passion letting ANYONE else work on my vehicles.:mad0090: You ALWAYS drive away feeling, and sometime truly getting F**KED!!!:mad0090:

DON'T ask me about the :smiley-finger007:dealer:smiley-finger007: who "fixed" the front diff in my Jeep!!!! It was rebuilt 3 times in 30,000 miles. I had to pay the second time. THAT is one reason I scrapped it, and bought a HP axle.:thumbsup:

WHEW...I feel better.:headbag:

muddeprived
06-30-2009, 09:25 PM
You're most likely right.:) BUT....I HATE with a passion letting ANYONE else work on my vehicles.:mad0090: You ALWAYS drive away feeling, and sometime truly getting F**KED!!!:mad0090:

DON'T ask me about the :smiley-finger007:dealer:smiley-finger007: who "fixed" the front diff in my Jeep!!!! It was rebuilt 3 times in 30,000 miles. I had to pay the second time. THAT is one reason I scrapped it, and bought a HP axle.:thumbsup:

WHEW...I feel better.:headbag:

I know what you mean. I had my dad's buddy do it for me. He let me walk around the bay and watch too. It was a pretty simple procedure of just hooking up two tubes and letting it flush. Nothing beats wrenching on your own rig though. I just didn't want to keep draining it cuz i'm a little.......lazy. :)

BlueXJ
07-01-2009, 12:54 AM
Why take it out and then turn around and put it back. As Mr Spock would say this is not logical.
http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll187/90BlueXJ/Spock.jpg

Mudderoy
07-01-2009, 01:25 AM
Yes but Mr. Spock didn't have sex either. Okay maybe once every 7 years. :rotfl2:

BlueXJ
07-01-2009, 01:29 AM
Relationship while serving on a Starship are difficult. Vulcans need little to be content.

Mudderoy
07-01-2009, 01:32 AM
lol I think you missed it.

BlueXJ
07-01-2009, 01:33 AM
Probably so, that would be par for me!!

Xtreme XJ
07-01-2009, 01:59 AM
I have to agree with Firehawk 5 fold here... not to offend anyone... I've never heard of putting old fluid BACK in a case or box (unless it's a trail repair) I change mine every spring... every 4 to 6 thousand miles. I live in the desert and don't put a lot of miles on the XJ... what I do are hard though.

I have heard of people dumping the 5 or 6 Qts. then refill and drive around the block and drain and refill a second time thus further diluting old with new.

I've also heard that doing a flush on a neglected trans. might dislodge sludge and block ports and passages in the trans. which can cause problems...

Me... I have an aux. A/T cooler along with the one in the rad. and all the lines to go with... I drove mine around town a bit let it run and climbed under the pass. side to feel which line was cooler back near the trans... this I felt was the return line leaving the coolers. I then bought a "fuel line removal tool" (I think that's the name)... it's cone shaped and comes in a few sizes encloses around the hard part of the trans. return line slides down and un-clips the spring holding the hard line in the transmission case. It will then pop/wrestle out... I usually put a 12"+ rubber line on the end of the hard line & stick it in a 5 gal. bucket... I then get the wife(not necessary) to fire up the XJ for 20 or 30 sec. and eyeball the fluid coming out of the rubber line for color and to verify it's pumping OUT (into the bucket) then shut it off. I then fill the trans. with NEW fluid to full or a little over and repeat the above two cycles... once it's BRIGHT red I re-attach the line check & top off. I feel this gets 95+% of the old out of everything... pan... lines coming & going... coolers... from time to time I'll skip a year and all is fine.
As to the "filter" lets all be honest... it's nothing more then a SCREEN... I don't even bother replacing it... or dropping the pan for that matter.

One other note you can actually remove the fitting on the trans. where the line enters the trans. as opposed to using the "fuel line tool" to get the line off the case.

Sorry for the length... :smiley-talk024: it's just something I've found to be effective... cheap and gives me a little better feeling... Desert Billy trans. flush...

SEE YA !!!
Curt

muddeprived
07-01-2009, 02:01 AM
Yes but Mr. Spock didn't have sex either. Okay maybe once every 7 years. :rotfl2:

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/muddeprived/funny/spockkirkbath.jpg

Xtreme XJ
07-02-2009, 12:46 AM
What... the HELL !!! are y'all talk'n about... did I somehow accidentally post on a homo alien thread ??
I thought this was a transmission thread...
GOOD NIGHT you guys are scarring me...

Curt

Melissa
07-02-2009, 01:38 AM
I've also heard that doing a flush on a neglected trans. might dislodge sludge and block ports and passages in the trans. which can cause problems...

Thats what I have heard as well!!

I would call mine a neglected transmission since it has over 277,000 on the tranny and has never to my knowledge had the tranny flushed or the filter changed, do you think I should leave it alone or flush it??? :(

muddeprived
07-02-2009, 02:22 AM
What... the HELL !!! are y'all talk'n about... did I somehow accidentally post on a homo alien thread ??

Curt

:rotfl2::rotfl2:

Mudderoy
07-02-2009, 02:24 AM

Curt

rofl too funny

firehawk
07-02-2009, 11:36 AM
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/muddeprived/funny/spockkirkbath.jpg

Now THAT'S some funny s**T....I don't care WHO you are!:D

Xtreme XJ
07-03-2009, 12:39 AM
Now THAT'S some funny s**T....I don't care WHO you are!:D

What's sorta funny is I didn't look at the pict. long enough LAST night to realize it was James T. with Spock... WHY !!! would you drag that pict. up AGAIN !!... WHY ??
Fire hawk... :headshake: Shame on you...

Melissa
I might try to do a few pan fluid changes over the course of a year ??? Maybe eyeball the color each time... in your case dropping the pan the first time might be wise just to see what is there... replace the screen just to say you did... then just pull the plug and refill after that working the fresh fluid through the trans. I don't think I'd have it flushed right away.
I'd do some research first and see what folks have experienced...

Good Luck !!
Curt

texcuda
07-13-2009, 09:40 AM
I don't know if anyone has touched on this but the convertor holds several quarts of fluid as well that isn't changed during a routine fluid+gasket servicing. Some old ford/mopars had a drain plug for the convertor but if you dont mess with it then at least 3 or 4 quarts of old fluid remain. Back when i was rebuiling t350/400's for drag cars, a fresh trans with empty stock convertor would take 12 quarts to fill while a filter change on one is 5 quarts. That meant 7 quarts were being retained. DON'T reuse old fluid.....EVER :eek:

Xtreme XJ
07-13-2009, 08:28 PM
I don't know if anyone has touched on this but the convertor holds several quarts of fluid as well that isn't changed during a routine fluid+gasket servicing. Some old ford/mopars had a drain plug for the convertor but if you dont mess with it then at least 3 or 4 quarts of old fluid remain. Back when i was rebuiling t350/400's for drag cars, a fresh trans with empty stock convertor would take 12 quarts to fill while a filter change on one is 5 quarts. That meant 7 quarts were being retained. DON'T reuse old fluid.....EVER :eek:

This is why I like to have someone go through the gears while it's running as I'm doing my Desert Billy flush... I'm sure there is some still in there, but it gets most... I use from 10 to 12 Qts.

Curt

texcuda
07-13-2009, 10:00 PM
it's not really necessary to "run" the fluid out as the factories designed them to serviced this way but it can't hurt as long as your careful not to run it low and burn up the clutches/bands......TC

jccatt
03-11-2011, 04:58 PM
Here is the page out of my 99 Sport owners manual. Dexron III is the fluid to use.

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd364/briscatt/IMAG0120.jpg

Does anyone know which tube going to the transmission cooler is outflow. I was going to disconnect it and let the transmission pump all the fluid out. A mechanic said this is how best to replace all the fluid.

oderdene
03-11-2011, 10:13 PM
which one?
On top of page "Use automatic transmission fluid labeled Dexron II" and
bottom "Fluid type: ... DEXRONIII MERCON fluid"

?
me confusing...

Mudderoy
03-11-2011, 10:54 PM
Here is the page out of my 99 Sport owners manual. Dexron III is the fluid to use.

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd364/briscatt/IMAG0120.jpg

Does anyone know which tube going to the transmission cooler is outflow. I was going to disconnect it and let the transmission pump all the fluid out. A mechanic said this is how best to replace all the fluid.

I always THOUGHT that the tube going to the top of the radiator was the inflow and the tube at the bottom was the outflow. But I can't say for sure.

Xtreme XJ
03-12-2011, 01:24 AM
I would get it up to temp. park it and while running feel the two lines near the trans. on the pass. side. may take a few mins. to get a difference in line temp.
I THINK it the forward line of the two... I should know this I've only done it like 6 or 7 times...
Get your bucket ready put a piece of old hose on the end of the ridge line aim it into the bucket and have a helper fire up the XJ... if it pumps out of the hose :thumbsup:... out of the trans. at the fitting :thumbdown: you want the return line AT the trans. so the coolers will be flushed.
Run it for a few seconds then shut it off... add a few Qts. then run it again... do this a few times till the fluid runs bright red... I have them shift it also so the fluid works it's way through those passages too. Foot on the brake obviously...
Have all the fluid and such 10 or so Qts. ready...
I feel this gets 90+% of the fluid transfered... coolers & lines... I haven't worried about the trans. SCREEN in years.
I call it my Dirtbilly trans. flush.

Good Luck !
Curt

jccatt
03-12-2011, 01:50 AM
I had a look at a mates old radiator and I think it will be the top line to remove from the trans.

Xtreme XJ
03-12-2011, 02:24 AM
AH !!! I just realized this was that OLD thread... the Alien Homo thread. :eek:

Sorry.

Curt

jccatt
03-12-2011, 03:21 AM
But your helping me.

Mudderoy
03-12-2011, 10:51 AM
This is an old thread, but the question we are trying to answer is recent.

bluedragon436
03-12-2011, 01:19 PM
I would say thanks for reviving this thread... as this is my next big thing I want to do is flushing and replacing fluid/filter in my tranny... well after I flush the coolant that is..

jccatt
03-13-2011, 12:39 AM
I wasn't sure on disconnecting the transmission pipes so I just drained the sump and will do it again next weekend.

Xtreme XJ
03-13-2011, 03:58 AM
But your helping me.

Which is why I posted the Dirtbilly flush... I thought it might have been elsewhere in the thread... didn't read BACK.

I hope you find it helpful... you try it this weekend ?
EDIT !!! just read the above post... try the flush... you'll be glad you did.

Curt

jccatt
03-13-2011, 03:49 PM
I read your first post again, so when you take the filter out more fluid drains?

Xtreme XJ
03-13-2011, 05:36 PM
I read your first post again, so when you take the filter out more fluid drains?

The question in my mind is can one really call it a filter... I call it a screen.
For some reason the designers felt it was adequate :confused:. Admittedly they are far smarter than I.
I look at it like SHOULD something go wrong internally the screen isn't going to do much to keep parts from working their way throughout the trans. and I certainly could be wrong, but I think a filter should do just that... filter.
Just yesterday I rolled 153K on my 96 XJ and the first few times I did this it was at 25K to 30K intervals... now I do this every other year at about 15K intervals... less miles, BUT! more off-road & dirty conditions similar to Australia.
As to removing the filter... I don't... haven't... not that I'm against it I'm just lazy... probably would be wise to clean up the pan & the mags. in there every once and awhile... I can rarely get thing to seal up again so I'd rather not crack it anymore...
Again MY thoughts...
Get as much fluid transfered out of the system as possible... lines & coolers.
I don't worry much about the "filter"...
Do it on a more frequent interval cause I'm not using it in "normal conditions".
Hopefully it'll pay off in longevity...

Curt

jccatt
03-13-2011, 10:34 PM
Agree, we are wheeling in non standard conditions. As for the screen, no point changing it, its not a filter. With the dust here i was thinking of doing a sump drain and replace every six months. I will do another sump change this week end and see how the fluid looks after that.

James

99 XJ Sport

bluedragon436
03-14-2011, 11:43 PM
The only reason I was/am going to change my filter/screen, is because I have 129k on my XJ... and don't know if it has ever been changed.. and because I want to see what the pan and magnets look like.... sort of worried.. at least my fluid doesn't smell burnt or anything like that..

Xtreme XJ
03-15-2011, 12:05 AM
The only reason I was/am going to change my filter/screen, is because I have 129k on my XJ... and don't know if it has ever been changed.. and because I want to see what the pan and magnets look like.... sort of worried.. at least my fluid doesn't smell burnt or anything like that..

It's probably a good idea... that way you know... check out the "filter" and see what you think... I admit this talk has me think'n I should just to see if anything is in there.

Curt

belvedere
08-19-2012, 01:46 PM
I just bought a '98 with 181k on it. The ATF is quite discolored, but the trans shifts well. I plan to do 2 or 3 "drain 'n fills" over the next year, and changing the filter on the last one.

The cooler line flush method would also work well.

As far as draining fluid out only to pour it back in, consider this: when you drop the pan or drain the fluid, you're probably only getting 1/3 to 1/2 of the fluid out of the trans anyway, so plenty of old fluid is left in the trans, if that is important to you. Personally, I want to replace as much fluid as possible. If you bought a used vehicle, and the motor oil looked dark/dirty, would you pour half of the old oil back in after an oil change, or even skip changing it altogether because it seems to be running well?

abebehrmann
07-31-2013, 06:14 PM
Thanks for the write up. I plan on doing this in the near future as soon as I save up a little bit of money.

dagod16
11-18-2014, 04:46 AM
I have changed my 217k aw4 tranny fluid and filter every 40 k. I always use new clean fluid. Keep in mind only half of the fluid comes out each time. The other half is in the torque converter. The problem is not the fluid. The problem is people waiting 100k to change it and now its all black and yucky.

Xtreme XJ
11-18-2014, 11:29 PM
Holy resurrection Batman...

Curt

autotech98
11-19-2014, 09:00 PM
had 198,00 on mine when i baought it changed the screen and fluid and added lucas trans fluid.shifts better than ever.

ArmyGuy45
11-19-2014, 10:56 PM
I was under the impression that we change the fluid ever 50k (drain half and refill) and change the filter at 100k. Is that wrong?

Xtreme XJ
11-20-2014, 12:08 AM
I pull my return line from the coolers put a piece of tubing over the line & into a bucket... I run it for 10 to 15 sec. shut it off & then add a few Qts. repeat it a few times cycling through the gears the last couple times... you can see the flow go from the used to bright color...then top off... obviously an assistant is very helpful...
I do this every other year... probably about 12 to 15K miles...

My Desertbilly flush... :D

Curt

dagod16
11-20-2014, 03:39 AM
Nothing wrong with changing the filter every other tranny fluid change. As long as you change the fluid at 40,50, or 60. These people who wait until 100K and change their fluid are taking a big gamble.