PDA

View Full Version : new paint

XJrob
06-28-2009, 11:28 PM
been working on this for the past three weeks and finally got around to painting it. just finished it at 9:30. heres a sneak peak. Hope to have it back together tomorrow and ill get some more pics
http://i657.photobucket.com/albums/uu299/XJrob98/untitled.jpg

Melissa
06-28-2009, 11:33 PM
Ooooohhh, I really like it, nice job!!!

Can't wait to see the finished pictures!!!!

BlueXJ
06-29-2009, 12:52 AM
What is that color called and who makes it? It looks good on your rig.

Mudderoy
06-29-2009, 02:32 AM
Give us a close up of the paint, please. I'm interested in seeing if you have dust and bugs stuck in the paint. I've always heard that you MUST have the vehicle enclosed in a room to keep the dust and bugs down to a minimum.

I'm not picking on you I'm just curious if what I was told was true.

WagoneerCrawler
06-29-2009, 09:20 AM
That is badass. I am painting mine orange soon. Where did you get the paint? Is it spray paint?

Mudderoy
06-29-2009, 09:41 AM
That is badass. I am painting mine orange soon. Where did you get the paint? Is it spray paint?

Both of those are great colors. Any plans for decals, or tread patterns, etc... on top of the new paint?

I love this one...

http://xjtalk.com/images/special/DukesofHazardXJ2.jpg http://xjtalk.com/images/special/DukesofHazardXJ6.jpg

XJrob
06-29-2009, 10:06 AM
the paint is from paintforcars.com. there is a few bugs and a little bit of dust but those will be removed after it gets wetsanded and buffed. It turned out pretty decent too for being cheap paint and my first time doing bodywork and using paint threw a spray gun. Its not perfect but its just going to get scratched back up anyways.

XJrob
06-29-2009, 10:06 AM
ill get more pics soon., i havnt even took the masking tape off yet. hope to get it back together today.

Mudderoy
06-29-2009, 10:21 AM
the paint is from paintforcars.com. there is a few bugs and a little bit of dust but those will be removed after it gets wetsanded and buffed. It turned out pretty decent too for being cheap paint and my first time doing bodywork and using paint threw a spray gun. Its not perfect but its just going to get scratched back up anyways.

Yeah I figured you weren't overly concerned about the "show room" quality of the paint. I saw an opportunity to learn something new so I jumped at it.

kmanxj
06-29-2009, 10:39 AM
How much did it cost ya all together if ya dont mind me asking. And It looks good. Did you take the doors off and hood and glass etc. Or just tape it all off?

WagoneerCrawler
06-29-2009, 12:22 PM
Both of those are great colors. Any plans for decals, or tread patterns, etc... on top of the new paint?

I love this one...

http://xjtalk.com/images/special/DukesofHazardXJ2.jpg http://xjtalk.com/images/special/DukesofHazardXJ6.jpg

I am not sure yet. Im a pretty big Clemson Tigers fan. So, I was thiking maby some pinstriping in purple or some purple or whit accents here and there. I want it to look clean. Sence I dont do a whole love of wheeling right now its probibley going to be more like showroom. That General Lee paint job looks pretty nice too. Thats about the color im going to go with.

Voldemort
06-29-2009, 02:42 PM
ill get more pics soon., i havnt even took the masking tape off yet. hope to get it back together today.

Nice Dude ,but I thought we were getting together and painting them? Looks good in that pic. What kind of paint is it? Did you use primer? If so which one?

Yeah I figured you weren't overly concerned about the "show room" quality of the paint. I saw an opportunity to learn something new so I jumped at it.
Painting inside makes it ALOT easier, less work,& is just the better place for Painting but, you can paint a car outside as long as the weather is good and you spend time color sanding and Buffing. It will look just as good as a Job done inside. Just do not let the Law catch you spraying even the VOC shit outside.

N1TZU
06-29-2009, 03:58 PM
Awesome color there XJrob,I like it. I bet the xj is going to look sweet when your finished..........

XJrob
06-29-2009, 08:31 PM
bigbad i was going to get ahold of u but with my wifes schedule and the kids i could only work on it at night after the kids went to bed. Paint cost me 90$ shipped to my door and thats w/ the reducer and hardener included. The paint def needs buffed (lots of orange peel) and truthfuly my body work is... not that great. Ill get some more pics as soon as i get to work on it but i havnt had time to do anything

XJrob
06-29-2009, 09:04 PM
Oh and bigbad, the only primer i used was on the spots that i did bodywork. i was worried that it wasnt going to blend right but it did. The paint is from paintforcars.com. The brand is starfire??? Its a single stage paint, lol and its only 35$ a gallon. Wish i had more time to work on it before i sprayed it but i got in a rush and just got in over my head as far as time goes. Im some what happy with it. All i can say is its decent? for my first time spraying auto paint and first time doing bodywork. Im still working on my passenger side quarter though. since its getting resprayed with bedliner i went ahead and put the paint on the rest of it.

XJrob
06-30-2009, 11:25 AM
just need to put my front bumper and end caps back on. I have a buddy thats going to finish up the passenger side rear quarter for me this sunday if i dont go wheeling.

http://i657.photobucket.com/albums/uu299/XJrob98/XJ%20paint/006.jpg
http://i657.photobucket.com/albums/uu299/XJrob98/XJ%20paint/0042.jpg

Mudderoy
06-30-2009, 11:45 AM
Hey nothing wrong with that. Looks nice. You need some big decals on it.

XJrob
06-30-2009, 12:53 PM
Hey nothing wrong with that. Looks nice. You need some big decals on it.

what do u have in mind??

Mudderoy
06-30-2009, 01:16 PM
Well I'm not sure if some would find it cheesy, but I like those mudder tread marks, running at an angle from the bottom side. I need to find a picture...

kmanxj
06-30-2009, 01:51 PM
ill ask again. Did you paint inside the doors etc. Take the glass out. If not i have a feeling it isnt gonna last long. (cant sand under moulding very well) ;)

Voldemort
06-30-2009, 01:55 PM
bigbad i was going to get ahold of u but with my wifes schedule and the kids i could only work on it at night after the kids went to bed. Paint cost me 90$ shipped to my door and thats w/ the reducer and hardener included. The paint def needs buffed (lots of orange peel) and truthfuly my body work is... not that great. Ill get some more pics as soon as i get to work on it but i havnt had time to do anything

Oh and bigbad, the only primer i used was on the spots that i did bodywork. i was worried that it wasnt going to blend right but it did. The paint is from paintforcars.com. The brand is starfire??? Its a single stage paint, lol and its only 35$ a gallon. Wish i had more time to work on it before i sprayed it but i got in a rush and just got in over my head as far as time goes. Im some what happy with it. All i can say is its decent? for my first time spraying auto paint and first time doing bodywork. Im still working on my passenger side quarter though. since its getting resprayed with bedliner i went ahead and put the paint on the rest of it.
Hey do not worry about it Bro I'm just glad to see you got it done. How many coats did you get on it? I ask because you want to be careful with your color sanding if you did not get more than two on it. Sometimes orange peel can go deep and if you try to get it all the way out with less than three coats you could screw yourself up so go slow on it at first.

just need to put my front bumper and end caps back on. I have a buddy thats going to finish up the passenger side rear quarter for me this sunday if i dont go wheeling.

http://i657.photobucket.com/albums/uu299/XJrob98/XJ%20paint/006.jpg
http://i657.photobucket.com/albums/uu299/XJrob98/XJ%20paint/0042.jpg
The pics look good! You should be happy with it being your first time. Also buy another can when when you have the loot, cause if it is a single stage and you get any bad scratches or chunks out of it that will not sand out you can easily respray the area and fix it. Or you my want to add coats later as the paint settles. That is why I do not clear coat off road cars cause it is easier to fix with out it having a clear and the clear will not protect it well enough.

Mudderoy
06-30-2009, 01:56 PM
been working on this for the past three weeks and finally got around to painting it. just finished it at 9:30. heres a sneak peak. Hope to have it back together tomorrow and ill get some more pics
http://i657.photobucket.com/albums/uu299/XJrob98/untitled.jpg

I'd say from this picture none of the glass was taken out.

Melissa
06-30-2009, 02:29 PM
It looks really nice, if you were closer to Oregon, I'd be hitting you up to do mine!!!

XJrob
06-30-2009, 03:21 PM
none of the glass was taken out but i wish i would have took all the molding from around the glass off though instead of just tapeing. I only removed the front bumper, grill,roof rack and all the lights.

i was talking to a guy on autobody101.com and he told me to do several light coats to cover up the primer spots and to make it blend. i dont remember how many coats i put on but it was alot of light coats and i used 80% of the gallon i had so its pretty thick.

Voldemort
06-30-2009, 11:18 PM
none of the glass was taken out but i wish i would have took all the molding from around the glass off though instead of just tapeing. I only removed the front bumper, grill,roof rack and all the lights.

i was talking to a guy on autobody101.com and he told me to do several light coats to cover up the primer spots and to make it blend. i dont remember how many coats i put on but it was alot of light coats and i used 80% of the gallon i had so its pretty thick.

Good! Then sand the hell out of her and let the rubbing compound to the rest! It will take a day of sand and buffing but when you are done you will be VERY HAPPY. Also make sure to use a good buffer variable speed buffer like a Dewalt or a Makita not one of those shitty $10 ones and some 3M Perfect-It Rubbing Compound is the best but any 3M Compound will work.

xjjeepthing
07-01-2009, 06:22 AM
Looks good

XJrob
07-01-2009, 10:09 PM
http://i657.photobucket.com/albums/uu299/XJrob98/flex2.jpg

Melissa
07-02-2009, 12:23 AM
That looks soooo good, I am jealous!!!!

Sure I can't get you to Oregon and do mine?!?!??

XJrob
07-02-2009, 10:23 AM
lol, its decent. for my first paint job and first time doing body work it turned out ok. lol i think ill never mess with any body work/painting a car ever again.

Melissa
07-02-2009, 03:39 PM
lol, its decent. for my first paint job and first time doing body work it turned out ok. lol i think ill never mess with any body work/painting a car ever again.

LOL, party pooper!! :D

Looks alot better than decent to me :thumbsup:

zr2toxj
07-02-2009, 04:05 PM
Looks good!

I'm prepping mine now, and it's driving me nuts nto getting it done. I took off the door handles, mirrors, lights, cowl, etc all but the glass. I want to re-tape the glass moldings though with some of the special tape that pulls the molding back. I'm going to use a single stage urethane too.

If it ever stops raining, I'll move it to my nephews place & get it sprayed out.

Voldemort
07-03-2009, 02:52 PM
Looks good!

I'm prepping mine now, and it's driving me nuts nto getting it done. I took off the door handles, mirrors, lights, cowl, etc all but the glass. I want to re-tape the glass moldings though with some of the special tape that pulls the molding back. I'm going to use a single stage urethane too.

If it ever stops raining, I'll move it to my nephews place & get it sprayed out.

Cool! Once you get good with the tape you can use the regular tape to pull back the molding with out spending the money one that tape.

xjstevie
07-05-2009, 03:37 AM
hey there guys.
I've had a little to do with spraying car in the past (a little). When you taping up the windows first put a length of nylon rope under the rubber. this will lift the rubbers up. you then tape up the rubber, top and bottom. when you spray, you spray under the rubbers and then there is no signs of the vehicle being sprayed. it is a cheap o way of getting away without taking out all the windows. hey just thinking out loud again.:thumbsup:
if you didn't already know it:o

okeedokee
07-05-2009, 10:25 PM

I love this one...

holy smokes I would not want to take that out in the woods wheeling

jugbutt
07-07-2009, 08:19 PM
There is nothing wrong with that jeep except it is not in my yard.

xjstevie
07-08-2009, 02:48 PM
that orange jeep belongs in my garage. anybody got the whereabouts of it so i can go fetch it??

Mudderoy
07-08-2009, 02:50 PM
that orange jeep belongs in my garage. anybody got the whereabouts of it so i can go fetch it??

On one of the other pictures I have it had a $11k price on it. It's nice but I bet it is still in the seller's garage. :rotfl2:

Melissa
07-08-2009, 03:08 PM
There is nothing wrong with that jeep except it is not in my yard.

On one of the other pictures I have it had a $11k price on it. It's nice but I bet it is still in the seller's garage. :rotfl2:

Well if the seller would give it to me and I put it in my garage, I'd share it with jugbutt and xjstevie :thumbsup:

xjstevie
07-08-2009, 03:42 PM
Well if the seller would give it to me and I put it in my garage, I'd share it with jugbutt and xjstevie :thumbsup:
well at $11000 it makes it exactly 11.24 times my monthly salary and 1.02 times my yearly salary so i don't think i will be able to afford it anyway. the only thing i can think of is if you buy me a plane ticket then i can come camp out in your garage and i can sleep next to it. how about that for a solution? i then hope i can have some good dreams wheeling it on some trail.