PDA

View Full Version : Major Malware problem

whowey
06-28-2009, 04:32 PM
Somewhere our computer picked up a BIG malware issue...

This thing has hijacked the computer. The only program usable is IE. Everytime any sort of automatic protection attempts to activate.. I get a XXX.exe is infected and will now shut down message. The infection also will not let any downloaded program to be started locally.. In addition it won't let if I attempt to start Windows in safe mode.. it immediately shuts down and starts it over again not in safe mode. Aslo it randomly shuts down and clears the cache and restarts the computer.. It also made an infected copy as the system restore point....

If I click any of the fake warnings it connects to the net and sends the computer to a 'security' website where you can pay for supposed disinfection.

Its screens almost look identical to Windows screens.. so I am guessing that is how it got in.. the wife or one of the kids got a message and clicked okay thinking it was something the computer was doing on its own.
Any ideas????

finneys98xj
06-28-2009, 05:03 PM
Mine did that awhile back the only way I got rid of it was to back-up or restore my computer. Copy all the info/pics on your computer and then restore it. Mine computer is fine now, been about 6 months ago.

xjarcher
06-28-2009, 09:24 PM
smitrem.exe get it and run it if you can. The clean slate idea works though. That's what I have done to my students computers at school. They get something and rather than waste time on them we just do a fresh install.
check your pm!

Mudderoy
06-28-2009, 10:55 PM
Once you get the computer back to a normal state set an admin account and an account that everyone normally uses. When the next malware tries to install itself because it fooled someone it won't be able to.

Yes you'll have to log on as administrator to load things, which is a hassle.

BlueXJ
06-29-2009, 01:00 AM
Thanks for that idea Muddy.

Mudderoy
06-29-2009, 02:26 AM
Have you tried to recover from a recent system restore point?

Start > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore

Select Restore my computer to an earlier time, click Next >

Select a restore point prior to when you believe the infection occured.

It is possible that you may have to go WAY back. If so you may wish to create a restore point prior so you can recover.

It is also possible that the malware/virus will not let you restore to a previous restore point, or it has infected the restore points.

muddeprived
06-29-2009, 02:56 PM
I would just format it. :) That's how I fix my issues. If it bothers me, i throw it in the trash and start clean.

whowey
07-02-2009, 08:21 PM
Well.. Finally got it fixed....

Thanks all for your suggestions....

I didn't want to format as we have about 150 gigs of family photos on this hard drive.. I'm not sure all what was backed up so I didn't really want to lose any....

It took the repair folks 3 days to find all the copies of the trojan and I am still finding pieces as I run scans every 6 hours right now.....

The wife actually banged the PC into the screen door bringing it in the house... and damaged the ps/2 port for the keyboard... so I had to run and get a USB one...

One VERY cool note.... I got a chance to take a first hand look at the digital video camera that my employer is buying me. They had one at the PC repair folks store... Im pretty darn happy about it... Now I just have to convince the wife that it will be okay for wheeling videos.

greenchevy
07-03-2009, 11:16 AM
that's great you fixed it i remember i had to replace my motherboard good news you didn't.