PDA

View Full Version : Computer Monitor

Mudderoy
08-23-2011, 12:08 PM
ASUS VH242H Black 23.6" 5ms HDMI Full 1080P Widescreen LCD Monitor

I have one of these and if I had the money I'd but another one.

http://images17.newegg.com/is/image/newegg/24-236-052-TS?$S300W$

$179 after discount, $169 after mail in rebate.

:link: (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236052)

4.3LXJ
08-23-2011, 05:15 PM
LCD is nice. Mac has not gone that direction though. I wish they would have. Our monitors are really nice, like an HD TV, but expensive

dagr8tim
10-31-2011, 12:57 PM
Nice. I've got two Acer 21.5's on my desk at home. I find I don't use the 2nd monitor as much as I thought I did.

I used to have dual non wide screen's at my old job and used them all the time.

Mudderoy
10-31-2011, 01:03 PM
Nice. I've got two Acer 21.5's on my desk at home. I find I don't use the 2nd monitor as much as I thought I did.

I used to have dual non wide screen's at my old job and used them all the time.

It really helps me when I am working on things. I have have the terminal session up to the server on the center monitor and the "help" document on the left monitor. I recently added a single monitor stand and a docking station for my laptop. Now I have a 3rd monitor that is dedicated to the laptop. This is handy if my main system has an issue and I am researching how to fix it from the laptop. :D

Having dual monitors was also helpful with the podcast. The way I did it before I needed two monitor to have the podcast recording and ustream broadcast going.

dagr8tim
10-31-2011, 01:07 PM
It really helps me when I am working on things. I have have the terminal session up to the server on the center monitor and the "help" document on the left monitor. I recently added a single monitor stand and a docking station for my laptop. Now I have a 3rd monitor that is dedicated to the laptop. This is handy if my main system has an issue and I am researching how to fix it from the laptop. :D

Having dual monitors was also helpful with the podcast. The way I did it before I needed two monitor to have the podcast recording and ustream broadcast going.

I used to have to VPN into work and do hours of work from home in the evenings. I did really make use of the dual monitors by having an RDP session up on one monitor and my stuff (IM's & Web Browsing) on the other monitor.

It is nice to play WoW in full screen windowized mode and have IM's and a Web Browser open at the same time. But I don't nearly get to play as much WoW as I would like.

Mudderoy
10-31-2011, 01:19 PM
I used to have to VPN into work and do hours of work from home in the evenings. I did really make use of the dual monitors by having an RDP session up on one monitor and my stuff (IM's & Web Browsing) on the other monitor.

It is nice to play WoW in full screen windowized mode and have IM's and a Web Browser open at the same time. But I don't nearly get to play as much WoW as I would like.

Never got into those turn based games. My boys played and I would tease them by telling them to play a man's game like Counter Strike. :poke:

My youngest daughter kept telling me to get Portal 2, I was the one that told them about Portal, but anyway, I finally got it Friday. Played it this weekend. Those guys at Steam (Valve) what ever are like the Pixar of games. Breath taking scenery, and very funny. I may start playing through it again tonight.

dagr8tim
10-31-2011, 01:25 PM
Never got into those turn based games. My boys played and I would tease them by telling them to play a man's game like Counter Strike. :poke:

My youngest daughter kept telling me to get Portal 2, I was the one that told them about Portal, but anyway, I finally got it Friday. Played it this weekend. Those guys at Steam (Valve) what ever are like the Pixar of games. Breath taking scenery, and very funny. I may start playing through it again tonight.

WoW isn't turned based. It's a free form RPG (MMORPG).

TeXJ
11-08-2011, 03:53 PM
WOW=Nerd alert :D

I'm with muddy, CS is where its at!

dagr8tim
11-08-2011, 06:54 PM
Here's my current setup.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/298969_10150926422780131_886005130_21555047_540291 572_n.jpg

Passt
12-02-2011, 11:37 PM
I've been running off a TV for the past 4 years. My first TV used as a monitor was a 32" Westinghouse 720p LCD. The one I use now is a 32" Westinghouse LED 1080p. I love it.

dagr8tim
12-03-2011, 08:47 AM
I've been running off a TV for the past 4 years. My first TV used as a monitor was a 32" Westinghouse 720p LCD. The one I use now is a 32" Westinghouse LED 1080p. I love it.

I considered getting a new TV when I got the dual monitors and using my current TV as a monitor. I've got my media center hooked up to the TV currently with a wireless keyboard & mouse. I can sit in my recliner across the room and do almost anything.

I think my next "TV" is going to be a projector. A co-worker said her husband just setup an HD projector in their basement. She said she was playing the Shawn White snowboarding game for Wii and the character was life sized on the wall.

Mudderoy
12-03-2011, 09:34 AM
I considered getting a new TV when I got the dual monitors and using my current TV as a monitor. I've got my media center hooked up to the TV currently with a wireless keyboard & mouse. I can sit in my recliner across the room and do almost anything.

I think my next "TV" is going to be a projector. A co-worker said her husband just setup an HD projector in their basement. She said she was playing the Shawn White snowboarding game for Wii and the character was life sized on the wall.

Two things I didn't like about a projector. You must dim the lights, and $300 replacement bulbs that only last a couple of years. (Oh and I forgot low resolution compared to screens)

Passt
12-03-2011, 09:51 AM

That sounds awesome. I always worried about the quality of a projector image and about its ability to stay cooled, but it's 2011 and I haven't researched them in a long while, I'm sure they're a pretty cool setup at this point. Yea I went with the TV so long ago because for the size they're worlds cheaper than buying a slated "monitor". You sacrifice on the resolution some, but 1920x1080 is more than enough for me. And like you, I have everything hooked up to the one tv in my man corner lol.

dagr8tim
12-03-2011, 10:07 AM
That sounds awesome. I always worried about the quality of a projector image and about its ability to stay cooled, but it's 2011 and I haven't researched them in a long while, I'm sure they're a pretty cool setup at this point. Yea I went with the TV so long ago because for the size they're worlds cheaper than buying a slated "monitor". You sacrifice on the resolution some, but 1920x1080 is more than enough for me. And like you, I have everything hooked up to the one tv in my man corner lol.

They make 1080 HD projectors now and the price has came down to under a grand. I figure in the next 2 years when I am in the market for a new TV, the price should be near what I paid for my current TV ($700).

You should see my den. I've got the TV with all the goodies and the surround sound. Then the opposite corner is where my desk (pictured above) is.

bluedragon436
12-04-2011, 10:08 AM
I run a HP 19" Widescreen and an HP 19" standard screen.. both LCD.. I mainly only use the standard 19" on my Windows computer when I am working on school work or another project.. but lately I have only been using the standard 19" for the Mac G4 I've been playing around with... can't wait to pick up a G5.. I have been using the way slower Mac more than I have the Windows machine of late..

dagr8tim
12-04-2011, 10:19 AM
I run a HP 19" Widescreen and an HP 19" standard screen.. both LCD.. I mainly only use the standard 19" on my Windows computer when I am working on school work or another project.. but lately I have only been using the standard 19" for the Mac G4 I've been playing around with... can't wait to pick up a G5.. I have been using the way slower Mac more than I have the Windows machine of late..

I'd love to have a mac to play with, but I'm not cool enough. And by "cool", I mean I refuse to pay a 100% markup on off the shelf components. I have thought of a referbed Mini tho.

bluedragon436
12-04-2011, 10:24 AM
I have an older Mac G4, that I got from my father, just so I can play with the Mac OS again.. I have been looking at deals on Mac mini's lately... been thinking of picking one up myself.. Heck take a look at Mac Mini's on CL.. I have found all kinds of good deals on Mac Mini's as well as Mac Cubes on there.. I have never really been a huge fan of warranties anyways.. LOL..

dagr8tim
12-04-2011, 10:26 AM
I have an older Mac G4, that I got from my father, just so I can play with the Mac OS again.. I have been looking at deals on Mac mini's lately... been thinking of picking one up myself.. Heck take a look at Mac Mini's on CL.. I have found all kinds of good deals on Mac Mini's as well as Mac Cubes on there.. I have never really been a huge fan of warranties anyways.. LOL..

That's the only reason I want a mac is to play with the OS. I've got a VM of 10.3, but it can't really do anything and I can't seem to upgrade it.

bluedragon436
12-04-2011, 10:36 AM
That's the only reason I want a mac is to play with the OS. I've got a VM of 10.3, but it can't really do anything and I can't seem to upgrade it.

Yeah the G4 I'm running has Mac OSx 10.3.9... and I am trying to research into picking up a copy of OSx 10.4 to run on it.. But I think I'll just keep an eye out for a good deal on a Mini or save up a bit more and pick up a decent G4 to play with..

Joliet Johnny
12-14-2011, 11:01 PM
http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd490/jolietjohnny/Picture.jpg

Running a 17in Samsung SyncMaster 740n and a Toshiba 24in Gods know? I have an Apevia tower running some compac POS(main computer :(), a Dell that is quite old, a mystery computer that hasnt seen power here, and if you look hard you will see a 500mhz emachines

Love the 24in Toshiba $150

Mudderoy
12-15-2011, 04:55 AM
http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd490/jolietjohnny/Picture.jpg

Running a 17in Samsung SyncMaster 740n and a Toshiba 24in Gods know? I have an Apevia tower running some compac POS(main computer :(), a Dell that is quite old, a mystery computer that hasnt seen power here, and if you look hard you will see a 500mhz emachines

Love the 24in Toshiba $150

lol great picture.