PDA

View Full Version : steering box/pitman arm Q's

kmanxj
06-27-2009, 10:26 PM
Ok might take awhile to explain this and i am sure most still wont understand:smiley-talk024: Well i had a popping awhile ago in the front end and just thought TRE (tie rod end). But after about a week i decided i would double check. Well the bolt holding the pitman arm was loose, allowing it to "flex/twist" when i turned the wheel. So i tightened the bolt up and problem solved.

Well yesterday the same noise came back, so today i went to the shop figuring it came loose again so i figured id loctite it this time. Well i loosened the bolt put on some loctite and tightened it down with the 1 5/16" wrench (which as you know you can get some torque on a wrench that big). I put all 235 lbs. of my fat arse onto that thing until i couldnt tighten it anymore (lockwasher completely flat). And it still was flexing and popping.

Now i was wondering if i could just build a spacer/washer on the lathe to put on their. Or if you guys think the the shaft on the box got smaller or the hole in the arm got bigger from it moving around.

I was thinking that a spacer would make more threads for the nut to tighten the arm tight to the box. If that makes sense.

Just looking for some ideas. My camera has been being a pos but i wanna try to get a video of it so you guys can see what is happening.

thanks

BlueXJ
06-28-2009, 12:05 AM
Pull the P arm off the shaft after marking the exact location and mic the internal and external sizes to determine if there is excessive wear from the looseness and popping.
If there is then you man need a new box and arm.

muddeprived
06-28-2009, 05:35 AM
Pull the P arm off the shaft after marking the exact location and mic the internal and external sizes to determine if there is excessive wear from the looseness and popping.
If there is then you man need a new box and arm.

What he said. The splines in either the pitman arm or steering shaft could be fubar and it'll pop or come loose. Don't take any shortcuts or try to fix this, just replace what's bad cuz the steering is way too important. ;)

BlueXJ
06-28-2009, 07:46 AM
Thank You Mr mudd.

xjjeepthing
06-28-2009, 08:58 AM
Make sure the gear box is tight and the uniframe. XJ's love to come loose. The spacer between the box and the frame will crack and so will the unibody

kmanxj
06-28-2009, 07:39 PM
i know the box is not loose. I got under there while the gf turned the wheel. I can watch one side of the pitman arm move up and the other side move down when she turned the wheel.

And great idea guys i will do it tommorow night after golf.

thanks

ill let yall know

firehawk
06-28-2009, 08:57 PM
Kind sounds like the bushing/bearing is bad in the box to me. Just my .02 worth.:thumbsup:

kmanxj
07-08-2009, 06:19 AM
well this thing is starting to move a ton. I know for sure that the pitman arm is gonna be screwed!!!!! and i know ZJ's pitman arms give a 1" drop and my local yard has a ZJ.

Is the box the same on the ZJ's as well?

kmanxj
07-08-2009, 11:27 AM
anybody? any ideas?

Mudderoy
07-08-2009, 11:30 AM
Can you post up a picture? Or that video you were talking about? I'm clueless but if I could see it I bet I could offer up a suggestion.

kmanxj
07-08-2009, 11:36 AM
yea i am gonna get a vid after work. I gotta get big bad a pic anyway of my door hinge so i will do both at the same time.