PDA

View Full Version : Power outages possible!

Mudderoy
08-02-2011, 12:39 PM
xjtalk could suffer outages due to hot weather and electricity shortages.

The Electric Reliability Council of Texas, Inc. (ERCOT), system operator for the state’s bulk transmission grid, is asking consumers and businesses to reduce their electricity use during peak electricity hours from 3 to 7 p.m. today and the rest of the week.

If the daily operating reserves drop below the target thresholds, the grid operators will initiate emergency procedures, a series of progressive steps that authorize additional capacity from other grids and from dropping interruptible loads - large industrial customers under contract to be dropped in emergency situations.

3pm to 7pm Central time.

4.3LXJ
08-02-2011, 03:23 PM
Welcome to CA brown outs.

xj4life2
08-02-2011, 06:45 PM
Welcome to CA brown outs.

And I thought we were the only ones to have that crap, I remember going through the rolling brown outs in So Cal years back. Sorry to hear you guys have joined our ranks

bigjim350
08-02-2011, 07:12 PM
We only get the bad things from Cali. Brown outs, emission testing, weirdos....j/k on the last one.....sorta :D

4.3LXJ
08-02-2011, 08:39 PM
We don't have brown outs now. That was a political thing and never should have happened. Here is a little inside info for you all on that and you might be looking to have the same thing in Texas. I know there is a real controversy over wind farms up in the pan handle. Our esteemed corrupt democratic governor Gray Davis, made a policy of no new power generation plants in what was at the time a very fast growing state. So we had to buy our power from others to make up the difference. He also got elected on promising to freeze power rates. So he did. The power for sale went up and PG&E and Con Edison had to buy more and more of it. Then they both went through a billion dollars in reserves and could not buy any more surplus power and then went bankrupt. That was part of the plan however so the state could seize the power companies and use them to generate more money for the state. Con Edison forfeited its transmission lines and was forced to lease the from the state. PG&E however was a little smarter and moved assets around and reorganized and was able to weather it out. The AG tried to seize the transmission lines for the next two years without success. The people recalled the gov. and Arnold became governor. The rest is as they say history.

bluedragon436
08-02-2011, 10:42 PM
Well what am I supposed to do during that time without any xjtalk?? Sheesh.. I guess I'll actually manage to go out and get to work for a bit..

Mudderoy
08-03-2011, 11:01 AM
Well what am I supposed to do during that time without any xjtalk?? Sheesh.. I guess I'll actually manage to go out and get to work for a bit..

It's in the plans to upgrade our battery backup. I'm not sure we'll ever be able to have enough for an extended (1 hour+) though.