PDA

View Full Version : Rear leaf spring rubbing on shackle

firehawk
06-25-2009, 07:58 PM
The leaf spring on the right side apparently has developed a slight twist in the main leaf. It is rubbing on the outer leg of the shackle....and groaning most of the time now.:mad0090:

Question I have is, for the time being would it hurt anything to grind the top of the spring eye to allow for some clearence between it and the shackle?:confused: I'm not talking much, just knocking the top edge off the spring eye. Maybe a 1/16", again just enough to stop it from rubbing the shackle? I say for the time being since I'm kicking around AGAIN the idea of going to a 4.5" lift, so I would probably be getting new springs anyway.

muddeprived
06-26-2009, 05:41 AM
Won't hurt. Grind away. :)

What setup do u have back there?

Mudderoy
06-26-2009, 09:14 AM
The leaf spring on the right side apparently has developed a slight twist in the main leaf. It is rubbing on the outer leg of the shackle....and groaning most of the time now.:mad0090:

Question I have is, for the time being would it hurt anything to grind the top of the spring eye to allow for some clearence between it and the shackle?:confused: I'm not talking much, just knocking the top edge off the spring eye. Maybe a 1/16", again just enough to stop it from rubbing the shackle? I say for the time being since I'm kicking around AGAIN the idea of going to a 4.5" lift, so I would probably be getting new springs anyway.

Man oh man, how do you twist a leaf spring!?!?

firehawk
06-26-2009, 11:30 AM
Man oh man, how do you twist a leaf spring!?!?

Mudd, THAT'S what I'd like to know. It's mostly driven on the street.

deprived, it's a Rusty's 3" leaf spring with a stock shackle.

DON'T START!!!

muddeprived
06-26-2009, 12:09 PM
Mudd, THAT'S what I'd like to know. It's mostly driven on the street.

deprived, it's a Rusty's 3" leaf spring with a stock shackle.

DON'T START!!!

Nice way to reply :thumbsup:

can we see a picture of this? i'm curious.

quadracer0387
06-26-2009, 12:33 PM
mine is doing the same after i put on some extended greasable shackles... i greased the crap outta them to

firehawk
06-26-2009, 03:16 PM
Nice way to reply :thumbsup:

can we see a picture of this? i'm curious.

You really can't see much with the spring in the shackle. When I jack the Jeep up to take the weight off the spring, and remove the bolt and pry the spring out of the shackle the spring eye tilts down to the right from horizontal. Viewed from the rear of the Jeep. I have to use a 15" adjustable to pry the spring back up to get the bolt to line up to put everything back together.:thumbdown:

I'd take it apart but..... it's 90*+ here in Indy AGAIN today......:smiley-gen165: I might get to fixing it next week since it's supposed to cool off some then. I'll snap a few pic's then.