PDA

View Full Version : Google Ad - Ask a Jeep Mechanic Now

Mudderoy
06-25-2009, 02:42 PM
I saw the "Ask a Jeep Mechanic Now" on the google ads yesterday, and since I'm having a problem figuring out why my cooling system isn't, I thought I'd give it a try.

Initially when I found out it was a pay service I started to jump out of it, but it says you only pay IF you are happy with the answer(s). They let you set the amount you are willing to pay and then your question goes out to 7000 Jeep knowledgeable people.

The one that answered my question yesterday has 30 yr ASE Master Tech, 7 yr Chrysler Master Tech, 16 yr Jeep Dealership service including AMC/Eagle.

After about an hour wait I got an couple of questions from the Master Tech.

This is the one that worried me...

Did you use a body lift? Is there a shroud on the radiator, around the fan?

I guess it's like being a veterinarian. You have so many animals to work on it's hard to keep up with all the details.

It's a pretty interesting service. I patched the radiator shroud yesterday, but that didn't fix the problem. So we're into day 2 of the questions and answers. Well worth it if we can fix the issue.

BlueXJ
06-25-2009, 04:32 PM
I am always worried I will over or under pay so I hate those set your own price things. How much did you elect to pay for a good answer? I would pay a great sum to know his recommendations on my body lift on my Cherokee.

Mudderoy
06-25-2009, 04:37 PM
I am always worried I will over or under pay so I hate those set your own price things. How much did you elect to pay for a good answer? I would pay a great sum to know his recommendations on my body lift on my Cherokee.

The choices they gave me were $13, $23, and $33. I chose $23.

Body lift on a unibody vechicle: Priceless.

BlueXJ
06-25-2009, 05:24 PM
Let us know what the learned Jeep mechanics have to say and also if you elect to pay them the fee.

Mudderoy
06-25-2009, 07:21 PM
Oh I will and I will be happy to pay if they figure out the issue.

Another tech has answered me with 2 tests.

1) Place a piece of paper on the front grill in front of the mechanical fan. The air movement should be enough to hold the paper there.

2) Block the front grill so the temp will rise and listen for the mechanical clutch to click, meaning it is engaging.

Interesting.

Melissa
06-25-2009, 10:02 PM
I found that website last year when I was having the major motor problems with my jeep, but I never did end up using it, I also would be interested in what happens.

BlueXJ
06-26-2009, 08:57 AM
Any more suggestions from the mechanics?

Mudderoy
06-26-2009, 09:08 AM
Yes. He wants me to disconnect the efan and block the air flow through the radiator. He wants to see if the clutch is engaging when the temp get high enough. I'm supposed to hear a roaring noise, I guess when the clutch engages and the fan starts moving more air.

He doesn't think it is a water pump issue since the temp drops when the efan comes on.

I didn't have a chance to do this lastest test last night (9 pm) so I'm doing today when I get home.

whowey
06-27-2009, 10:35 AM
When the mechanical clutch engages the sound emitted by it will change.... To me it sounds like the noise from a propeller of plane. The sound is much more noticiable the higher the RPMs are.

I wouldn't pay anyone claiming to have worked in a Jeep Dealership for 16 years.. but didn't know that you can't have a body lift on Jeep's best selling single model ever......

Another way to test the clutch is too get the Jeep good and hot... 210 or above. Shut it off.. Immediately grab the fan blades and attempt to turn them.... If they don't turn or a VERY hard to turn the clutch is engaging at least part of the way.

Mudderoy
06-27-2009, 12:17 PM
When the mechanical clutch engages the sound emitted by it will change.... To me it sounds like the noise from a propeller of plane. The sound is much more noticiable the higher the RPMs are.

I wouldn't pay anyone claiming to have worked in a Jeep Dealership for 16 years.. but didn't know that you can't have a body lift on Jeep's best selling single model ever......

Another way to test the clutch is too get the Jeep good and hot... 210 or above. Shut it off.. Immediately grab the fan blades and attempt to turn them.... If they don't turn or a VERY hard to turn the clutch is engaging at least part of the way.

I suspect he knew, but he didn't READ the details of my problem. Either way that isn't good from someone that is trying to help you.

It never made a roaring noise. Sounded the same all the time.

Yep tried that with turning the fan by hand. Seemed fine. I even took a paper towel tube and tried stopping it while the engine was hot and running. It just tore up the tube.