PDA

View Full Version : 93 XJ 4.0L Knock on Start up.

EDG3
07-17-2011, 01:25 AM
Hey guys so I am new to the jeep scene and I have a question. I purchaced a well used 93 XJ this past week got a good deal I believe but there is a knock while cranking and it goes away after a few seconds of running. I have read it could be oil related or the flex plate you guys have any info for me. The sound is coming from the rear of the motor and sounds like a true knock but I am reading mixed posts about it. 197k on the motor with AW4 trans. Oh yeah I won't be one of the guys who asks every question I have on here but this one has me stumped. I plan on pulling the pan tommorow to check thing in the bottom end but thought I would ask. There is no metal visible on the dipstick and the oil is fairly clean.

bigjim350
07-17-2011, 01:28 AM
Well if you have good oil pressure, befor pulling the pan, I would check the torque convertor bolts. Same thing happened to mine, thats why I got it so cheap

EDG3
07-17-2011, 01:31 AM
oil pres about 30-40 and yeah it helped me get this for $400:D I will try that first. Can I get to them easily, it has a 4in lift so getting under her is pretty easy. Thanks for the reply!

bigjim350
07-17-2011, 01:35 AM
yeah its not to bad once you get the inspection cover off between the motor and tranny