PDA

View Full Version : "At any legal speed" Really?

Paddletrucker
07-16-2011, 11:53 PM
Was looking through my falling apart owner's manual today and saw where it says you can shift the T-case from 2H to 4H "at any legal speed"

Really? Never been able to do that in any of my pick ups, that is unless you wanted a bunch of new parts!:D

I guess that will come in handy this winter!!

bigjim350
07-16-2011, 11:55 PM
ues but only in 4hi and id only do it when the roads are slick

4.3LXJ
07-17-2011, 09:52 AM
The new generation tcases were designed to shift on the fly into high range at any speed. In theory, that includes as fast as it will go. But any legal speed is probably there for liability reasons. Quite handy in snow conditions. And you can run it in 4WD for hundreds of miles with no worries. But as Jim said, just in slick conditions. You can run it in 4WD on short stretches of pavement, like 100" or less for those conditions where there is ice, then pavement, then ice again. One trick I use on those long stretches in eastern OR where those conditions are is to keep one side on the snow and the other on the pavement, that way I can leave it in 4WD just in case something comes up, like some tourist that doesn't know how to drive in snow.

Mudderoy
07-17-2011, 03:23 PM
Was looking through my falling apart owner's manual today and saw where it says you can shift the T-case from 2H to 4H "at any legal speed"

Really? Never been able to do that in any of my pick ups, that is unless you wanted a bunch of new parts!:D

I guess that will come in handy this winter!!

I'll have to go back and look at mine, I think it said 80 mph. lol

Firemanray
07-17-2011, 11:09 PM
I wouldn't do it if there is any possibility that you have tire slip happening. If all 4 wheels are spinning same speed, no problem. I've never tried it on the Xj, my dodge cummins will do it at any speed. Great for take off when racing, then slip back to 2wd for the finish!

Mudderoy
07-17-2011, 11:21 PM
I wouldn't do it if there is any possibility that you have tire slip happening. If all 4 wheels are spinning same speed, no problem. I've never tried it on the Xj, my dodge cummins will do it at any speed. Great for take off when racing, then slip back to 2wd for the finish!

Well you are supposed to let off the accelerator engaging and disengaging the 4x4.

4.3LXJ
07-17-2011, 11:36 PM

I am not sure it would engage anyway. It has a synchromesh in it and that probably wouldn't let you do it if the front and rear axles were traveling at a different speed

XJ4IV
07-17-2011, 11:37 PM
WARNING do NOT perform this activity if you have a Lunchbox style locker... unless you LIKE flying off the highway

bluedragon436
07-18-2011, 03:11 AM
I don't think I would want to engage my 4HI no matter what speed I was going or what style locker I have.. I usually always stop before I engage it.. now disengaging it I will slow down a bit and let off the accelerator before taking it out of 4HI..

XJ Rat
07-18-2011, 06:30 AM
My 1999 TJ owners manual said the NP231 can be shifted into 4hi at speeds up to 55mph. Same transfer case, so I guess that would apply equally to the XJ.

Mudderoy
07-18-2011, 09:31 AM
My 1999 TJ owners manual said the NP231 can be shifted into 4hi at speeds up to 55mph. Same transfer case, so I guess that would apply equally to the XJ.

I'll have to find what I read and I'll post up a picture here. I'm not suggesting that ANY of you attempt the 80 mph shift into 4x4 btw. :timeout: :out:

Metlic53
07-18-2011, 09:48 AM
I'll have to find what I read and I'll post up a picture here. I'm not suggesting that ANY of you attempt the 80 mph shift into 4x4 btw. :timeout: :out:

my jeep has a hard time getting to 80mph lol i rarely get above 70 in my jeep

ive shifted at 60 before, for part time and full time on my 242, havent tried on my 231's yet.

XJ4IV
07-18-2011, 09:59 AM
I don't think I would want to engage my 4HI no matter what speed I was going or what style locker I have.. I usually always stop before I engage it.. now disengaging it I will slow down a bit and let off the accelerator before taking it out of 4HI..
You REALLY ought to be rolling a little bit to engage the 4wd, there is a shift gear collar inside the case that if you ARENT moving and shift into 4 if you get resistence then you could cause damage to the shift collar. honestly going 5-10 MPH is completely safe going into 4 hi and about 3mph for 4lo is your best bets, keeps everything on the up and up as well as safer for you and the case.

4.3LXJ
07-18-2011, 10:41 AM
Of course, if you were in conditions that warranted 4WD, would you really want to be driving faster?

Mudderoy
07-18-2011, 01:25 PM
my jeep has a hard time getting to 80mph lol i rarely get above 70 in my jeep

ive shifted at 60 before, for part time and full time on my 242, havent tried on my 231's yet.

Last time I went above 80 mph it didn't shift into overdrive so it just kind of stuck at 96 mph. Rev limiter for the win!

Metlic53
07-19-2011, 01:26 PM
Last time I went above 80 mph it didn't shift into overdrive so it just kind of stuck at 96 mph. Rev limiter for the win!

i've been 105 mph in my jeep once, it was stock though

xjrev10
07-20-2011, 08:18 PM
Driving on snow you should not need 4 wheel drive to go over 50mph. Coming from a northern MN lifer, we drive in the snow 6 months outa the year.

ice_cold
07-26-2011, 07:25 PM
Driving on snow you should not need 4 wheel drive to go over 50mph. Coming from a northern MN lifer, we drive in the snow 6 months outa the year.

Only 6 months??? :driving::driving:

rugidone
07-26-2011, 08:08 PM
Only 6 months??? :driving::driving:

Thats what I was thinking, 9 months outta the year its winter here.