PDA

View Full Version : Bogus E-mails

Mudderoy
06-24-2009, 09:28 AM
http://xjtalk.com/images/special/bogusemail.jpg

I received this e-mail today. It is bogus. It is an attempt to get me to load a program on my computer. The link that is in the e-mail IS NOT the actual link.

NEVER click on links in e-mails. The text you see does not have to be the same that is in the link that you do not see.

If there is a critical update for microsoft go to their website and get it.

Audio222
06-24-2009, 11:42 AM
Thanks for the info.

ol"blue
06-24-2009, 11:53 AM
I never open or click on that stuff. My wife's aunt sent her an e-mail explaining that those "send this to x number of friends" e-mails have tracking cookies attached that invade any receiving computer and get personnel data from the files. It's ironic because she is always sending my wife those very same type of messages! She would then send those funny or informative messages to relatives. Me included! Drives me crazy. (Yeah I know. Short trip.):smiley-laughing021:

Mudderoy
06-24-2009, 12:34 PM
People used to send me stuff like that. I would go look it up on www.snopes.com and if it was FALSE I would reply to the list with the link to snopes. No one sends me that stuff anymore. They still send it just not to me. How do I know? My wife still gets them from the same people. lol

Bottom line? They don't care if it is true or not, they just want to play with their $900 computer. :rotfl2:

Voldemort
06-24-2009, 02:18 PM
Thanks for the look out Bro!

Howler_GT
06-24-2009, 03:04 PM
I love the ones I get from Wachovia Bank....

We are updating our on-line records..blah,blah,blah.
You will need to log in and reset specific settings for your on-line banking....
CLICK HERE.

I don't have Wachovia.

Last week was an eBay week:

Was a rather angry letter from an eBay seller.
Apparently, I bid and won a BIG LCD TV.
And the time to pay has past, AND the Dispute Console time is ending.
I had better pay up or they are going to persue legal action.

First I went directly to eBay and PayPal to fully verify my side of this supposed arguement.... NOTHING.

Idiot sender, gave me everything I would need to write this off without any worries.
An eBay auction number. With a DASH in the center and letters, eBay uses only numbers.
An eBay username that does not exist.
And a Dispute Console Link that goes directly to PayPal.

Thier username appeared in the bogus payment for PayPal.

I of course just reported them to PP and provided everything they would need to nail them.

I have found that most of the time PHISHERS are lazy. They will not type out an e-mail but rather JPG the text and make the entire image a hyperlink.

Was this the case with yours Mudderoy?

Mudderoy
06-24-2009, 03:10 PM
I love the ones I get from Wachovia Bank....

We are updating our on-line records..blah,blah,blah.
You will need to log in and reset specific settings for your on-line banking....
CLICK HERE.

I don't have Wachovia.

Last week was an eBay week:

Was a rather angry letter from an eBay seller.
Apparently, I bid and won a BIG LCD TV.
And the time to pay has past, AND the Dispute Console time is ending.
I had better pay up or they are going to persue legal action.

First I went directly to eBay and PayPal to fully verify my side of this supposed arguement.... NOTHING.

Idiot sender, gave me everything I would need to write this off without any worries.
An eBay auction number. With a DASH in the center and letters, eBay uses only numbers.
An eBay username that does not exist.
And a Dispute Console Link that goes directly to PayPal.

Thier username appeared in the bogus payment for PayPal.

I of course just reported them to PP and provided everything they would need to nail them.

I have found that most of the time PHISHERS are lazy. They will not type out an e-mail but rather JPG the text and make the entire image a hyperlink.

Was this the case with yours Mudderoy?

Yeah I get these from banks I've never even heard of. No mine was a complete and very authentic looking e-mail. I have spamassassin running on my e-mail server, and it identified the e-mail as spam. I was looking at why and it pointed out a known website of illegal activity, along with other things.

If you moved your mouse pointer over the link it is formatted to look like it is going to microsoft, but it you read carefully you can see it is another website.

BlueXJ
06-25-2009, 09:05 AM
My Spam filter got 24 spammers in the last week so is this a high number or an average number Muddy?

Mudderoy
06-25-2009, 11:51 AM
My Spam filter got 24 spammers in the last week so is this a high number or an average number Muddy?

My e-mail server has received 328 since 3am this morning that were addressed to UNKNOWN users alone. That isn't counting the spam that was sent to the known users.

I've seen it as high as 3000 in a day. I've been running a website since 1997 though so that one domain is on a lot of lists that spammers use.