PDA

View Full Version : Well, I got her hot last night.

Paddletrucker
07-15-2011, 08:59 AM
Nope, it's not going to be a letter to Penthouse Forum, but being XJ guys, I'm sure y'all knew what it was gonna be.:p

Yup, after over 100 miles and never seeing 110 degrees, I found what makes my XJ get up to the delineation mark between 110 degrees and the red.

I can drive 75mph for hours. I can drive from stop light to stop light in town. I can drive around my pastures in first gear.

Apparently, however, she gets really angry waiting in line for burritos at the drive through. :D:D

So, I guess I do get to experience my first XJ quirk and start trying to figure out a solution. No, giving up burritos WILL NOT BE PART OF THAT SOLUTION!!;):fyou::D

Mudderoy
07-15-2011, 09:06 AM
Nope, it's not going to be a letter to Penthouse Forum, but being XJ guys, I'm sure y'all knew what it was gonna be.:p

Yup, after over 100 miles and never seeing 110 degrees, I found what makes my XJ get up to the delineation mark between 110 degrees and the red.

I can drive 75mph for hours. I can drive from stop light to stop light in town. I can drive around my pastures in first gear.

Apparently, however, she gets really angry waiting in line for burritos at the drive through. :D:D

So, I guess I do get to experience my first XJ quirk and start trying to figure out a solution. No, giving up burritos WILL NOT BE PART OF THAT SOLUTION!!;):fyou::D

lol funny I had the same thing happen to me but it was at "Wendys"

Overheat at Midnight (http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=706)

4.3LXJ
07-15-2011, 10:02 AM

It is the hot sauce man, ya gotta give up the spicy stuff.

Check under your hood and see if you have your shrouds intact and that the efan comes on. It sounds like it wasn't.

xjpirate
07-15-2011, 10:07 AM
is there anything wrong with running your e-fan full time, mine is set to an accessory fuse, and is on whenever the key is on

Paddletrucker
07-15-2011, 10:09 AM
It is the hot sauce man, ya gotta give up the spicy stuff.

Check under your hood and see if you have your shrouds intact and that the efan comes on. It sounds like it wasn't.

Yeah, I'm gonna run into to the truck parts store to buy a pair of air horns for it later (poke at Mudderoy), and when I get home and it's nice and hot, I'm gonna check it out and see.

I never heard it come on, and I'm thinking I should've.

Paddletrucker
07-15-2011, 10:11 AM
is there anything wrong with running your e-fan full time, mine is set to an accessory fuse, and is on whenever the key is on

The fan on my Caterpillar engine on my semi works off of the t-stat, but also has an override switch I can turn on in the cab. It works really good. I'm sure I'm not the first one to think of that, but I may well install one.

4.3LXJ
07-15-2011, 10:22 AM

No, you can run it as much as you want.

4.3LXJ
07-15-2011, 10:24 AM
Yeah, I'm gonna run into to the truck parts store to buy a pair of air horns for it later (poke at Mudderoy), and when I get home and it's nice and hot, I'm gonna check it out and see.

I never heard it come on, and I'm thinking I should've.

Real air horns, like lift the hair right off your head when you hit them. You need on board air man. You will feel right at home.

xj4life2
07-15-2011, 10:34 AM

Not at all, I run mine the same way except I have a switch under the hood to shut it off on the cold am's we get here from time to time. Other than that I can sit in a line for a long time waiting for my burritos !!!

Paddletrucker
07-15-2011, 10:39 AM
Real air horns, like lift the hair right off your head when you hit them. You need on board air man. You will feel right at home.

I don't know. I've got a small compressor that will run a pair of small, but REALLY LOUD and high pitched horns. It only comes on when you hit the horn. I may put it on it's own momentary switch that's hanging from the ceiling. Then, I can put a leather pull on it to pull to blow the horns. THEN, I'll feel right at home.

THe old electric compressor I have came from Harbor Freight, I think, years ago. The horns are long since gone. I'm gonna go get some small high pitched ones and a larger low pitched one.

In the future, I may put a real air system on it. I would need a tank with a relief valve and a compressor that's hooked to a switch that would tell it to activate when the pressure got to a certain point. Basically, the same system that's on a big rig, only smaller. I LOVE having the air system on my big truck. The ability to run air tools and air up tires right from the truck is SUPER handy. I can only imagine it would be as handy on the Jeep. I even carry a small impact with me. Air jack? Yup. Air socket, uh huh. Yep, it's cool. All I have to do is unhook the glad hand that runs the supply line to my trailer and I have a 75 foot hose that I rigged up with a glad hand on one end to go to the tractor and a quick connect fitting on the other end to hook air tools to. It's saved me countless amount of money on quick road side repairs that meant service calls not made, and helped me to keep deadlines with customers. Yeah, it's not necessary and a wise business move like in the big truck, but it'd be cool on the Jeep. Plus, it's a good excuse for....I don't know....Air lockers maybe?????:pray::beavis:

BUt all that's in the future. First, I gotta get it Jeep worthy and get those 215's off and take care of it's case of sag ass.

Mudderoy
07-15-2011, 10:40 AM
Not at all, I run mine the same way except I have a switch under the hood to shut it off on the cold am's we get here from time to time. Other than that I can sit in a line for a long time waiting for my burritos !!!

Mark what radiator did the factory 1998 Cherokee come with? 1 core, 2, and what was the metal, cooper, brass, or aluminum?

4.3LXJ
07-15-2011, 11:00 AM
Air jack, tell me more. I have that system you mentioned, as well as a compressor that puts out more than the one on your big rig.

xj4life2
07-15-2011, 11:10 AM
Mark what radiator did the factory 1998 Cherokee come with? 1 core, 2, and what was the metal, cooper, brass, or aluminum?

To answer your question Tony yours came stock from the factory with an alum. 2 row core and plastic tanks. Actually after talking to my rad. guy, All Radiators from 1987 were Alum core except for Honda which switched in 1991. As for the tanks they were either plastic or metal, the draw back to the all alum tanks are they are welded on so you can't access the core seperatly once its gone its gone. So spending the cash on all alum rad isn't really cost effective as the core is what does the cooling. Ok so I threw in some extra info. ther hope it didn't bore ya :)

Mudderoy
07-15-2011, 11:49 AM
To answer your question Tony yours came stock from the factory with an alum. 2 row core and plastic tanks. Actually after talking to my rad. guy, All Radiators from 1987 were Alum core except for Honda which switched in 1991. As for the tanks they were either plastic or metal, the draw back to the all alum tanks are they are welded on so you can't access the core seperatly once its gone its gone. So spending the cash on all alum rad isn't really cost effective as the core is what does the cooling. Ok so I threw in some extra info. ther hope it didn't bore ya :)

This is what I was wondering about. I was thinking the OEM radiator may have been aluminum/plastic. I recently was told that aluminum transfers heat better as it gets hotter and the copper/brass are just the opposite. I'm considering getting a 3 core (maybe 2) aluminum/plastic to replace my CFS 3 core to resolve my running hot on the highway issue.

:sign0101:

xj4life2
07-15-2011, 12:11 PM
I run the 3 row alum with metal tanks , its made a big differance on mine

Mudderoy
07-15-2011, 01:03 PM
I run the 3 row alum with metal tanks , its made a big differance on mine

I'm reading that some people that put the 3 row CSF start having over heating problems on the highway.

Paddletrucker
07-15-2011, 01:40 PM
Air jack, tell me more. I have that system you mentioned, as well as a compressor that puts out more than the one on your big rig.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200305255_200305255

This is not the exact one I have, but it's pretty darn close. On the internet, I've seen the large bag types that's supposed to lift a Jeep on any kind of surface, like sand, and thought they might be handy and pack away nicely. I've also seen a larger version used by tow companies that are designed to work with the typical tractor trailer air system on a wrecker, but I don't know of a smaller version that doesn't work off of the exhaust, like the ones I've seen on the net. I'm sure they're out there, just haven't found them yet.

What kind of air system do you have? Recently, I put a larger compressor on my tractor with twin cylinders rather than one. I did that because I pull two or three trailers a lot of the time and wanted to quickly charge my system. Normally, it would kick on at 100psi, and I upped that to 110. I also upped my pressure from holding 120psi to 145psi, which I was told was about all the pressure I'd want to have on those tanks and all my fittings and plastic lines that are all over a truck. That 25 pounds has made a HUGE difference, though, in charging the trailers quickly and keeping air pressure with a sometimes leaky set of three trailers. So, I have the old compressor, but it's a gear driven compressor that's made to bolt on the side of an engine. Pressurized engine oil is needed to lube the pump. I can't see a way to make it work for the Jeep.

So, I'm going to start doing some looking around for how to maybe do an air system on the XJ. Maybe one of these days, I'll actually do it.

4.3LXJ
07-15-2011, 01:48 PM
I forgot about the air bags, going to have to get me one of those, or build a good scissors jack I can run up with an impact. You are right about the pressure. Mine runs at 150 and is great. I can air up four tires from flat to 34 psi in less than four minutes. Running an impact at 150 or 175 is a whole different animal from 100 psi.

There are kits for using a York compressor on the 4.0 engine, see Kilby Enterprises. I however being a tight wad built my own out of a AC compressor. You can see it in my avatar next to the AC compressor or you can look it up in the fab section.

saar
07-16-2011, 01:42 AM
How old is your radiator?
How old is the t-stat?
I would start from checking the radiator, maybe it needs cleaning/replacing.
While doing so, I would replace the t-stat.
Last thing that should be checked is the fan clutch (if you are not using an electric fan instead)
Saar.