PDA

View Full Version : So what do you guys think about this front bumper?

_StationWagon_
06-23-2009, 03:41 PM
This bumper (http://jeepin.net/forum/showthread.php?t=57720) is being offered by the company that made my excellent quarter panel armor, and IMHO, the design is brilliant. Remember I commented that (for my taste) the Nate's winch bumper stuck out way too far from the grill? (8 inches) Well this baby only sticks out 1" further than stock!! And virtually no loss of clearance. I remember having the same reaction the first time I saw Detours Slimline w/ carrier.
I think this is the one I'll be getting when the time comes.
Comments?

http://jeepin.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1543&d=1245714105

http://jeepin.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1544&d=1245714117

http://jeepin.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1542&d=1245714090

Click the first link for details. If anyone would like to re-host the pics, I don't mind ... and I don't think Chris would either.

Mudderoy
06-23-2009, 04:16 PM
This bumper (http://jeepin.net/forum/showthread.php?t=57720) is being offered by the company that made my excellent quarter panel armor, and IMHO, the design is brilliant. Remember I commented that (for my taste) the Nate's winch bumper stuck out way too far from the grill? (8 inches) Well this baby only sticks out 1" further than stock!! And virtually no loss of clearance. I remember having the same reaction the first time I saw Detours Slimline w/ carrier.
I think this is the one I'll be getting when the time comes.
Comments?

http://jeepin.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1543&d=1245714105

http://jeepin.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1544&d=1245714117

http://jeepin.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1542&d=1245714090

Click the first link for details. If anyone would like to re-host the pics, I don't mind ... and I don't think Chris would either.

I wonder if the winch would get hot faster being enclosed like that. Otherwise looks fine and functional.

mizedog
06-23-2009, 06:24 PM
I like it 'Wagon.
I think you were commenting on my Logan's Metals (not Nate's) bumper sticking out too far. This was a big consideration for me, but in the end, price won over approach angle. Even so, I think mine sits a little higher. Hopefully that will help.

I really do like the one above. Funny how he's right here in Colorado probably no more than 15 miles from me. Oh well. Make sure you post pics if you get it.

I've seen that white Jeep in the Products link around town.

Melissa
06-23-2009, 07:59 PM
If I were going to get a winch bumper, Thats the one I would look very close at, looks very nice

BlueXJ
06-23-2009, 08:52 PM
I like that the winch is protected but as Muddy pointed out it may get kinda hot in there. Plus you need to relocate the winch relay box to under the hood which is crowded to begin with.

_StationWagon_
06-24-2009, 01:10 PM
I like that the winch is protected but as Muddy pointed out it may get kinda hot in there. Plus you need to relocate the winch relay box to under the hood which is crowded to begin with.
You might have a point there. I dunno what the underside looks like, maybe he's got slats like Mudderoy's bumper. I need to ask him what it looks like under there. Slats/vents would take care of any potential heat issues.

If there's something I dislike about the appearance of my XJ it would bug me to my grave. Shelling out the beans for a bumper whose appearance is at odds with my idea of aesthetics would kill me. A bumper that sticks out like a shelf is just such a bumper. Plus, if I ever decide to remove the winch ... ugly shelfy thingie again! I couldn't drive it, LOL.

C'mon guys, I need more honest educated feedback! What do I know about winches/bumpers anyway?

mizedog
06-24-2009, 01:18 PM
I vote you paint it red to match the body. I know the rear's black, but if you're looking for a bumper that's invisible (or at least not distracting), than I think body color would be killer!

mizedog
06-24-2009, 01:20 PM
Oh, until I can buy/trade for a winch, I'll be putting my fog lights on the "continental shelf". I hope that helps minimize the underbite...

Mudderoy
06-24-2009, 01:50 PM
You might have a point there. I dunno what the underside looks like, maybe he's got slats like Mudderoy's bumper. I need to ask him what it looks like under there. Slats/vents would take care of any potential heat issues.

If there's something I dislike about the appearance of my XJ it would bug me to my grave. Shelling out the beans for a bumper whose appearance is at odds with my idea of aesthetics would kill me. A bumper that sticks out like a shelf is just such a bumper. Plus, if I ever decide to remove the winch ... ugly shelfy thingie again! I couldn't drive it, LOL.

C'mon guys, I need more honest educated feedback! What do I know about winches/bumpers anyway?

My honesty is at odds to what you want. Why would I want to hide a $600 winch in a bumper? I want it out so air can cool it, and I have easy access to it should I need to FIX it to make it work. I don't care if my bumper sticks out a foot if it means I can have a winch that works, and continues to work on a long pull because it is cooler out there. I don't do rocks, so I'm less concerned about aproach angle that some of you guys. Deep water and mud are my concerns in Houston. Anything I need to go over will be telephone poles and downed trees. If the tree is too big, I'll have to go around.

As you know I am very concerned with the balance between functional and good looks. I have a hoop on my bumper for two reasons. 1 to offer some protection to my winch in a collision, and 2 a good place to mount some lights. Besides it makes the bumper look more balanced and less of that underbite that was mentioned.

I need to measure my bumper and see how far it sticks out. I'm thinking 7 inches but I need to double check.

Oh, I need to remind you guys. I have ZERO experience with winches, so I'm just saying this based on things I have read, and thought about. I may be totally off base! lol

_StationWagon_
06-24-2009, 02:22 PM
My honesty is at odds to what you want. Why would I want to hide a $600 winch in a bumper? I want it out so air can cool it, and I have easy access to it should I need to FIX it to make it work. I don't care if my bumper sticks out a foot if it means I can have a winch that works, and continues to work on a long pull because it is cooler out there. I don't do rocks, so I'm less concerned about aproach angle that some of you guys. Deep water and mud are my concerns in Houston. Anything I need to go over will be telephone poles and downed trees. If the tree is too big, I'll have to go around.

As you know I am very concerned with the balance between functional and good looks. I have a hoop on my bumper for two reasons. 1 to offer some protection to my winch in a collision, and 2 a good place to mount some lights. Besides it makes the bumper look more balanced and less of that underbite that was mentioned.

I need to measure my bumper and see how far it sticks out. I'm thinking 7 inches but I need to double check.

Oh, I need to remind you guys. I have ZERO experience with winches, so I'm just saying this based on things I have read, and thought about. I may be totally off base! lol

I like what you have said, gives me things to think about that I had not considered. A winch bumper is not around the corner for me, rather some ways down the road since I just did gears, bumper etc. But I gotta plan ahead. Thanks for yor insight. (I know zilch about winches too, but it seems to me that cooling shouldn't be a HUGE issue with a single pull. Someone school me, please.)

Why would I hide a $600 anything? Because I work at night, the XJ spends a lot of time alone & I live in a city where if it's too obvious, they'll take it when you're not looking. Hence a set of 20 Gorilla wheel locks on my wheels, a removeable antenna mount, hidden equalizer on my stereosystem, stealth sub, covered trunk, deep tint and so on.
Somehow I have this dream that I can mod the heck out of my XJ & keep it from looking too non-stock. Okay, okay, the body armor destroyed that dream, but oh well :smiley-laughing021: .

Keep the ideas coming guys ...

mizedog
06-24-2009, 03:38 PM
I work at night, the XJ spends a lot of time alone & I live in a city where if it's too obvious, they'll take it when you're not looking. Hence a set of 20 Gorilla wheel locks on my wheels, a removeable antenna mount, hidden equalizer on my stereosystem, stealth sub, covered trunk, deep tint and so on.
too non-stock. :smiley-laughing021: .

One word for ya...MOVE!:rotfl2:

Mudderoy
06-24-2009, 03:45 PM
I like what you have said, gives me things to think about that I had not considered. A winch bumper is not around the corner for me, rather some ways down the road since I just did gears, bumper etc. But I gotta plan ahead. Thanks for yor insight. (I know zilch about winches too, but it seems to me that cooling shouldn't be a HUGE issue with a single pull. Someone school me, please.)

Why would I hide a $600 anything? Because I work at night, the XJ spends a lot of time alone & I live in a city where if it's too obvious, they'll take it when you're not looking. Hence a set of 20 Gorilla wheel locks on my wheels, a removeable antenna mount, hidden equalizer on my stereosystem, stealth sub, covered trunk, deep tint and so on.
Somehow I have this dream that I can mod the heck out of my XJ & keep it from looking too non-stock. Okay, okay, the body armor destroyed that dream, but oh well :smiley-laughing021: .

Keep the ideas coming guys ...

Well I hate to hear the reason, but it certainly is a good one. I am concerned about someone walking off with my winch. Mark recommended a couple of spot welds on one or two of the bolts that hold it to the bumper. Should be easy enough to cut through should I need to remove the winch, but enough trouble to have the theives pass on my winch.

I need to put some kill switch(es) on the Jeep too.

_StationWagon_
06-24-2009, 03:47 PM
So true ... I'm working on it

mizedog
06-24-2009, 03:48 PM

That is unless some guy named Vinny in a suit driving a black caddy will follow you carrying cement blocks and rope...:eek:

DETOURS
06-24-2009, 10:21 PM
As pointed out on another forum concerning the bumper, poor access to clutch control, winch options become limited........and worst of all....notted spooling can/could become a real issue.........real world- there are times you'll need access to unspool pinched line, this set up makes it difficult.

Mudderoy
06-24-2009, 11:27 PM
Yep mine is 7.5 inches from the edge of the grill to the front edge of the bumper.

mizedog
06-25-2009, 07:38 AM
Yep mine is 7.5 inches from the edge of the grill to the front edge of the bumper.

Thanks for adding this. I think it would be interesting to have others add the same measurement of their bumpers for comparison since pictures alone can't tell the whole story. Might make a nice sticky.

_StationWagon_
06-26-2009, 11:03 PM
As pointed out on another forum concerning the bumper, poor access to clutch control, winch options become limited........and worst of all....notted spooling can/could become a real issue.........real world- there are times you'll need access to unspool pinched line, this set up makes it difficult.
Haven't been on in a couple of days ...

Synthetic line would certainly ease some of those concerns, wouldn't it? Expensive, I know, but spending $ on my Jeep is my hobby :p . Call me hard-headed, but I still like the idea of a winch tucked down nice & low, and a bumper that is not a shelf on the front of my Jeep. I have a real aversion to bumpers (on my XJ) that stick out too far.

Xtreme XJ
06-28-2009, 04:52 PM
Admittedly I don't run a winch... I've seen a NEED for a winch only a few times... I've seen them used more for NON-extracation needs... I do like the idea that it's hidden keeping it out of the way with clean lines and for ME out of the air flow I need... I say this, but I have lights blocking the air flow...
There is the access issue mentioned above... having NOT ran one... is there really THAT much heat that is built up ?? Maybe having it out in the open is better for those who use it often...
I like the looks personally and the hidden mounting set up... not enough to buy one cause I don't have the NEED for a winch I do need the aproach angle though...

Just my thoughts...

Curt

Mudderoy
06-29-2009, 02:42 AM
I really like the way it is inside the bumper, for looks, security, etc... but like I said from what I've read the electric winches can get hot enough to fail on the first pull.

I'm without a winch. When I get it, it will be my first one. I do NOT think I'll ever really need to use it. I'm getting it IN CASE I do.

I had a Jeep CJ, or Wrangler, pull me out of a rain soaked field that I had spun off in when I was on my way home from High school one afternoon. It was effortless for the little Jeep to pull my Nova (ish) back on to the road. In fact the guy (maybe a girl) in the Jeep never got out.

Certainly I want to be able to pull my own vehicle out of situations, but I wouldn't mind returning that favor for some other dumb a$$ kid that was driving too fast in the rain. :D\

It is entirely possible that my desire to have an offroad vehicle began on that day.

jimwww
07-11-2009, 03:01 PM
Sorry guys - I love the look of that bumper you put in the thread - but I am going to buy this one instead from Aj's. To me it just looks 'right'.

http://www.ajsoffroadarmor.com/PhatXJ.html
http://www.ajsoffroadarmor.com/images/phtxj26.jpg

Mudderoy
07-11-2009, 04:52 PM
You should always go with what makes you happy. Well maybe not always, but you know what I mean.

jonesy
07-13-2009, 09:44 PM
ive got a logans bumper tracking # says it will be here tomorrow .. ill be weling the nuts on the winch after install to make it wont be stolen :D

Mudderoy
07-13-2009, 10:47 PM
ive got a logans bumper tracking # says it will be here tomorrow .. ill be weling the nuts on the winch after install to make it wont be stolen :D

We need pictures of the new bumper. :popcorn:

mizedog
07-14-2009, 08:10 AM
http://www.ajsoffroadarmor.com/PhatXJ.html
http://www.ajsoffroadarmor.com/images/phtxj26.jpg

I still think this is one beautiful XJ! Very balanced look. And I want that roof fack (anyone know what brand that is?). But, for me, Logan's was half the price of the rest (like this AJ's). That, right now, was important for me.

In end, I agree with Mudderoy. Get what you want and fits your criteria. None of them are perfect for everyone.

Post picks when you get 'em!

Jonesy, can't wait to see yours. Did ya get the light bar? What color will you use?

jonesy
07-15-2009, 03:55 PM
We need pictures of the new bumper. :popcorn:

got some pics of the new logans bumper .. seems very well built it does stick out a bit more than id like but .. logans did me right ..not sure where to add the light tabs ..
http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo329/masonic72/Picture576.jpg
i think my track bar looks alittle off to the pass side?
http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo329/masonic72/Picture575.jpg

Melissa
07-15-2009, 04:01 PM
I don't know track bars, but that bumper and winch looks awesome!!!!!!!!

Mudderoy
07-15-2009, 04:27 PM
Makes a big difference in the overall look doesn't it? :thumbsup:

jonesy
07-15-2009, 06:46 PM
Makes a big difference in the overall look doesn't it? :thumbsup:

oh man what a huge change ..im pretty exited about it.. thanks all .. now i have to find an excuse to use the winch lol

_StationWagon_
07-19-2009, 09:11 AM
I finally saw a Logan's bumper in person yesterday at PA Jeeps show & it looks pretty good. Doesn't seem to stick out as much as it appeared in the pictures I have seen, & really complemented the XJ it was on.

Now there's a new bumper in the mix for me to choose from. TJM on the Rusty's site. I saw Rusty at the show and he is offering the bmper to me at an unheard of price for anAustralian imported bumper. Gonna be hard to pass up ... but that's another thread.

mizedog
07-20-2009, 07:46 AM
I finally saw a Logan's bumper in person yesterday at PA Jeeps show & it looks pretty good. Doesn't seem to stick out as much as it appeared in the pictures I have seen, & really complemented the XJ it was on.

Now there's a new bumper in the mix for me to choose from. TJM on the Rusty's site. I saw Rusty at the show and he is offering the bmper to me at an unheard of price for anAustralian imported bumper. Gonna be hard to pass up ... but that's another thread.

I had a TJM bumper on my old Trooper. It was great quality with good powdercoating. It had the cool front CB antenna mount, fog light inserts, and long range light tabs. The only thing I didn't like about it was it sat lower than the ProZap bumper I had on it before. Did you go chrome, aluminum, or black?
Found a pic on Rusty's website:
http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=rustys&Product_Code=070SB15N36P&Category_Code=TJM

Mudderoy
07-20-2009, 09:00 AM
Are you guys talking about this one?

http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/media/bumpers/tjm_xj_t15_02.jpg

:link: (http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=rustys&Product_Code=070SB15N36P&Category_Code=TJM)

_StationWagon_
07-20-2009, 03:20 PM
Yeah, and the one without the hoops as well. I think I might pull the trigger on this. Price is right.

Mudderoy
07-20-2009, 06:21 PM
No offense to anyone that has it or likes it, but that is one ugly *** bumper. Without the hoops it's ok.

Now as far as structurally, I have no idea, it may be an excellent kangaroo killer.