PDA

View Full Version : Can we talk tires, 4 choices.

OverEasy
07-13-2011, 11:26 AM
I bring this question to you all because I value your opinions and have gotten great advice from you all before, if not directly. . . through post helping others. I have asked this question on a local to me forum and just wanted to get you guys ideas as well. Any and All input, opinions, and ideas are welcome!

OK, so I've been thinking of upping the tire size for a while now (Samurai). I bought a set of 34x10.50x15 LTBs for it and they are on it now. I got a great deal on a set of five of them and couldn't pass them up. This is my second set of them in LTBs. I know how they act and ride, not to mention that this is my 7th set of Super Swampers. Here is the thing though, the 34" LTBs are actually a 33.6. They are a tall 33. I have them on a 8" wheel so that pinches them a little but I have 8lbs in them and they aren't even squatting a bit. The last time I ran a trail I had them as low as possible, the needle wouldn't even register on the gauge. They worked though!:D

With 8lbs in the tires.
http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/vv311/watjeep/new011.jpg

So here is what I would like to talk about/ discuss. . .

I'm trimming the fenders for now and not going 'all out' right away with the cutting. I clear the 34s just fine and even though I haven't driven the Sami yet with them on it I know that I'll have to cut some just because of the suspension that I am now running (plan on installing bump stops).

My plan, a crude photochop. The back will be more rounded but this is the idea anyway.
http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/vv311/watjeep/sammi.jpg

With that said, I plan on sometime going up to a 35" tire. I've talked to a few guys on Pirate and Zukikrawlers and got some opinions (some were just full of :turd:, but what do you expect. I'm not running tons or Rocs so my stuff's not worthy :rolleyes:). I'll am running the 6.5 case gears which is said to put me a little better geared than stock in 2hi (almost stock gear up to a 35" tire in 2hi). So gearing isn't a problem. I also plan to gear the axles as soon as I can afford to just to help out. Now with the gearing and body out of the way... Which tires am I interested in?

I've really been checking out four tires lately. The four I'm looking at, I've been researching, reading, researching reviews on and I can't decide on which ones out of the group to focus on. Now, I've only owned (on my 4xs) Interco Super Swamper brand tires. Everything from a 42" SS down to a 29"er. I ran one set of the BFG old style MTs in the 32" size for two weeks before going with a set of 33" TSLs. I love the Swamper and always will. But here is the thing, only one out of the four I'm looking at is a Swamper, the other three are Radials and other brands. (Blasphemy, I know. *;) ) Now, if I go with a radial, it will be the first radial I've bought for one of my 4xs ever. I know that doesn't sound like a big deal to you but to me, I want to get the best tire for the $ being put out. Especially if into a radial with their prices.

So here is the list I've been looking at and researching, in no particular order.

Set One

The 35x12.50x15 LTB. The 35" LTB.The 35 is a different tire from the 35" and up. It falls into the "Bigger LTB" group, bigger, more spaced lugs, siped centers and outers, sidewall tread comes in deeper. This is the set that really have my eye at the moment. I guess I'm just uset to seeing them.
http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/vv311/watjeep/Random/3466308490_fe7c2f8f29.jpg

http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/vv311/watjeep/Random/25842070033_large.jpg

Set two

The 35x12.50x15 Pro Comp Extreme Terrain MT. This set of tires really impressed me when I went out to Crozet (local park near me, check it out on YouTube :)) and go to see them in action in the rocks. I will admit, I really have NEVER liked anything Pro Comp has out but these tires have caught my sight and I'm interested. This being one of the radial tires.
http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/vv311/watjeep/Random/129_0908_18_z4x4_truck_tire_techpro_comp_xtreme_mt .jpg

http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/vv311/watjeep/Random/102_1791.jpg

Set three

The 35x12.50x15 Pitbull Rocker. Now this is the other tire that I was really impressed with when I watched a couple of rigs at Crozet running them. They seem to flex great and grip well, even when wet. I've wanted a set of these for the longest time and now that they have the 35" tire in a 12.50x15 size... (In a radial). Deep lugs, siped, aggressive isn't even the right word for these, more like hyper aggressive. Just the radial thing again. *:confused:
http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/vv311/watjeep/Random/1004dp_01pit_bull_tires_XOR_LT_tirestread_design.j pg

http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/vv311/watjeep/Random/1012or_13_skyjacker_4_inch_suspension_kit_chevy_k5 _blazerradial_tire.jpg

Set four

The 35x12.50x15 Mickey Thompson MTZ. The MTZ is a tire that I've been pretty interested in since MT released it. I've just never really seen many with them on a off road vehicle, just a bunch of pavement pounders with tire sheen you could shave in. I have been impressed by the Baja Claws and driven a vehicle with them on it and can vouch for the trail capabilities, but the MTZ is a different tire. To me, it's more of a regular MT tire with a redesigned tread pattern (Updated MT). The last time we went up to Shoe Creek (another local trail) there was a couple of guys running them and they appeared to be doing well. One guy had RCPFA (Crozet club decals) on the side of his Land Cruiser so I know they have been there. When I asked he how he liked them he said " Man, I'll tell you honestly. They are a little loud on the road but I love them. I would buy another set. They are great in rocks and all! " With him saying that, I really got more interested in them.
http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/vv311/watjeep/Random/MTZ-Web.jpg

http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/vv311/watjeep/Random/Jeep01-1.jpg

OK, so that's the four sets that I am looking at right now. One of those four I'd like to go with and more than likely will. As far as right now, in my mind the LTBs and the Rocker has the lead. The other two ( PC XMT and MT ) are NOT far behind. Just can't make up my mind. Now I have NEVER been worried with how a tire looks. So please don't tell me which one you thinks looks the best and that's why I should go with it. I could care less about the look. Honestly, what is your opinion on these tires? Help me out.

Just wanted to see what you guys thought! Please tell me your honest opinion (Shoot, tell me to go away if ya'd like ;) ) and lets discuss why or why not you would run what. If you do run a certain tire, how do you like them? If a friend does, how do they like that certain listed tire?

Thanks for reading and your time guys!

Jeremy

bigjim350
07-13-2011, 12:29 PM
I know the LTB's and the Rockers are both great tires. Don't know much about the Mickey Thompsons. I do know that the Pro-Comp tires work good, but don't last very long at all. Granted I know yours wont be street driven, but I have a set of 33" pro-comps at the shop with less than 10k miles on em and they could be used as slicks.

OverEasy
07-13-2011, 02:02 PM
WOW! Yeah, that's one of the things I always hear about the PCs. The sets that I've had the chance to rub up on were really soft to the feel. Seemed as they would grip really well, I just didn't have the opportunity to talk w/ the owner to see what he had to say about them.

The LTBs I'm just kinda worried about weight. I really wanna go with the PBs, just dunno.

4.3LXJ
07-13-2011, 04:18 PM
The thing about Sammys is that they only weigh 2000#. Those LTBs are made for a vehicle twice that weight or more. They advertise a tough sidewall and they live up to it. The trend is getting more that way all the time. The Mickeys are a good mud tire, but the compound is a little soft which makes them a good rock tire. I have no experience with the Pit Bulls. But if you get the radial, they won't flex in the tread as well as a bias. However the sidewalls will squish nicely. By the way, you can get whatever tire siped and they will do even better in the rocks.

bigjim350
07-13-2011, 04:56 PM
While I know you are a Swamper guy, I have a feeling if you try the rockers, you will be a PitBull guy from now on

XJ4IV
07-14-2011, 12:01 AM
from personal experience do NOT waste money on the pro crap ones, I saw a set blow sidewalls on a puny ass rock that some pep boys a'ts went up with no issues...
of all of them Id say stick with the most sensible and get either the swampers or the rockers, Ive seen BOTH in action and would stick either on my rig!

bluedragon436
07-14-2011, 12:56 AM
I loved my Pro Comp Xtreme Mud Terrains that I had on my XJ after I lifted it.. the only thing I had an issue with was a thrown belt in the center of the tread.. but those tires also had quite a few thousand miles on them already when I got them.. But I am running a set of Baja Claws now, and as of the day I left they had over 4k miles on them already and they were showing pretty decent tread wear for the mileage that I had on them.. They also weren't any noisier than the Pro Comps were.. so just to give an opinion on another MT option you could consider..

cantab27
07-14-2011, 02:58 AM
hey Jeremy,,, cant help with those 4 choices ,,,but ..i run the kl71s,,cool m/t..your zuki is nice and light so theses may worth a lookee....i love em,, great in the mud ,trails ,rivers and MALLS... cant comment on rocks ,dont do them...
looking forward to see what yall pick..

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f211/kumho-road-venture-mt-kl71-770293/

OverEasy
07-14-2011, 03:18 AM
The thing about Sammys is that they only weigh 2000#. Those LTBs are made for a vehicle twice that weight....

Yeah, mine is maybe around 23 - 2,500lbs without me in it, i'd say. I am going to run these 34s till I can't run them anymore. The benefit that they came with is that they were ran on a built ZJ for a little bit before I got them. So they don't flex to bad at all. They were broken in on a much heavier rig first.

I've had NO issues once I dropped the pressure more. I dropped them down to 2lbs and this is them flexing over a rock a little bigger than a football.
http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/vv311/watjeep/4-1B9AF0AF-1552726-800.jpg
Yes, i'll vouch on the sidewalls. I've had them against some really nasty rock side hills and descents, off camber just grinding on them and they've held up nicely.

Not really into mud at all. (I know, I know... sorry guys. :headbag:) So mud performance is no issue to me. Any mud tire will get me through the mud mine will traverse. lol So a radial tire will flex great in the sidewall but no so good on the tread surface right? Is it the opposite for a Bias?

While I know you are a Swamper guy, I have a feeling if you try the rockers, you will be a PitBull guy from now on

I am and all my friends can't believe i'm looking at others. lol. I'm looking for a change I can believe in! (and actually believe this time.) I'm really thinking I will end up with the PBs, unless I come across a better deal on the LTBs.

from personal experience do NOT waste money on the pro crap ones...

That's the thing with the PC tires. I have seen quite a few failures out of their tires. (with my own eyes at off road parks) It's only been their normal MT and two sets of the Xterrains. I have heard they have suspect sidewalls, and at the pressures i'll be running... I like peace of mind in a sidewall.

I loved my Pro Comp Xtreme Mud Terrains that I had on my XJ after I lifted it...

Yeah, I know a couple of people who run/ ran these (XTs) if I hadn't seen one blow out on the highway coming back from Uwharrie, I might have actually had something nice to say about them. I won't bash them, but I won't run them either. I've wheeled on a set of claws a couple times. Sets ran in reverse and sets ran in the right direction. They did really well imo, I just don't like a directional tread pattern.

This YJ to be exact. Yup, that's me wheeling a Wrangler! (35" claws)
http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/vv311/watjeep/148344_177382688940673_100000068283246_592204_5268 73_n-1.jpg

OverEasy
07-14-2011, 03:27 AM
hey Jeremy,,, cant help with those 4 choices ,,,but ..i run the kl71s,,cool m/t..your zuki is nice and light so theses may worth a lookee....i love em,, great in the mud ,trails ,rivers and MALLS... cant comment on rocks ,dont do them...
looking forward to see what yall pick..

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f211/kumho-road-venture-mt-kl71-770293/

Thanks Wayne, you must have snuck this comment in on me when I was replying!

I do like that tire choice, its just a directional tire tread and I'm trying to stay away from that. I've got a friend that runs them on his WJ and loves them! I'll say I've seen them climb his Jeep up some nasty stuff! I like em!

Andrew's WJ.
http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/vv311/watjeep/149091_177383705607238_100000068283246_592237_5673 717_n.jpg

bluedragon436
07-14-2011, 03:31 AM
Yeah I have to agree.. that the directional pattern is one thing that sort of turned me off to the Baja Claws.. but I'll have to see how these fair on DD duties, and wheeling.. to make my decision on my next tire purchase!

OverEasy
07-14-2011, 03:47 AM
My thing with a directional tire is if you have a full matching set of 5 and you blow one, if your spare isn't set up for the correct side you could run into issues. You could always have a trail spare that's a completely different tire all together (same size or relatively close) and get off the trail and if needed buy a new one or two depending on the severity of the problem.

I do like the Claws though, aired down they are in fact claws. They grab really well. The 35s on that YJ aren't fairing to well on the road but its def. not a daily and rarely sees the road. But when it does... it eats them up. They are the 35" radials.

4.3LXJ
07-14-2011, 10:14 AM
One more thing about Pro Comps, they run short for the size stated.

xj4life2
07-14-2011, 03:24 PM
Well here's my two cents worth , first the LTB's, good tire, soft compound, good for rocks and mud. Priced not to bad for the market today. Not a streetable though , they might last 25k on the street at least thats what my first set did. I also found them very stiff in the cold weather. Next the ProComps, I'm a Pro Comp dealer and wouldn't own a set , nuff said. Mickey Thompson's a great tire all around but way to over priced for what they really are.But if money wasn't an issue I would comsider them.Lastly the Pit Bulls , I have had no experiance at all with this tire people who I know that run them have been extreamly happy with them , but that being said they are fairly new out there so I would say the jury is still out on them. I personally run the BFG M/T 's and do both street and off road and currently have close to 60k on mine and can still go through summer with them. I know that you did not mention them, but in my humble opinion they are the best in biz for all around performance.

jccatt
07-14-2011, 04:35 PM
Do you guys get maxxis bighorns overthere? Alot of us run them

OverEasy
07-15-2011, 12:41 AM
Next the ProComps, I'm a Pro Comp dealer and wouldn't own a set , nuff said. )))WOW, OK.. I will gladly take that advice from a dealer.((( I personally run the BFG M/T 's and do both street and off road and currently have close to 60k on mine and can still go through summer with them. I know that you did not mention them, but in my humble opinion they are the best in biz for all around performance.

My friend that helped me build my Zuk has a set of the KM2s, the 33x10.5 ones. He switched to them after 32" TSL radials. After watching him I wasn't really all that impressed with them. I mean... they gummed up really quickly in trail mud and didn't really clean all that well.
http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/vv311/watjeep/IMAG0017-1.jpg

Aired down they weren't all that bad. My ride won't be seeing much street and as light as it is I think any tire would last a decent while. For a 35" tire under $200, I may consider them. Are BFG sidewalls still suspect, have they gotten better? Are you a dealer?

Do you guys get maxxis bighorns overthere? Alot of us run them

Ya, I know I can get them in my area. I've looked at them but I don't think I have seen one person running them locally. To be honest, I have forgotten all about that tire, I may look into them as well. :thumbsup:

Any experiences w/ them? Friends experiences?

cantab27
07-15-2011, 12:55 AM
here mate, review time ,grad a beer and have a read...

http://www.offroaders.com/reviewbox/showcat.php?cat=3&stype=1&si=&perpage=200&sort=4&stype=&limit=&cat=3&ppuser=

jccatt
07-15-2011, 01:09 AM
I had a set of mtr and the bighorns i have now are just as good.

OverEasy
07-15-2011, 08:05 AM

http://www.offroaders.com/reviewbox/showcat.php?cat=3&stype=1&si=&perpage=200&sort=4&stype=&limit=&cat=3&ppuser=

Holy expletive, expletive. . . That has to have just about every MT tire made! LOL! Thanks! That link has been bookmarked!

I had a set of mtr and the bighorns i have now are just as good.

Ya, the tread's are very similar right, to the old MTRs?

afbond03
07-17-2011, 11:14 AM
I ran some Maxxis Bighorns on my 96 Nissan P/U. Very good tire on and offroad, had pretty good tread life as well.

Metlic53
07-23-2011, 01:50 PM

dang, some of those tires ive never seen before!
Thanks for that link!

4.3LXJ
07-24-2011, 09:58 AM
I have seen that before. But it is sensory overload. I need fewer choices.

RADesignsProducts
07-24-2011, 12:08 PM
If you need a tire to drive on the road, I have only seen two tires that fit the DD and wheeler catergory.
Sorry but my picks are:
MTR or KM2

Now if you wanted more on the trail side and not much road:
IROK
Pitbull Rocker

Or if you see all road get some nice BFG A/T's:D

cantab27
07-24-2011, 01:46 PM
I have seen that before. But it is sensory overload. I need fewer choices.

oh thats easy steve,,,just get the round ones......:D

OverEasy
07-24-2011, 02:44 PM
If you need a tire to drive on the road, I have only seen two tires that fit the DD and wheeler catergory.
Sorry but my picks are:
MTR or KM2

Now if you wanted more on the trail side and not much road:
IROK
Pitbull Rocker

Or if you see all road get some nice BFG A/T's:D

If this post was to me and my OP.... This vehicle sees 95% trail 5% road. That 5% being driven to the trail.

RADesignsProducts
07-24-2011, 04:35 PM
If this post was to me and my OP.... This vehicle sees 95% trail 5% road. That 5% being driven to the trail.

Didn't see that specified so I covered all bases. Sounds like you're an Interco fan so you know what you like there. I've been seriously eyeing the Rockers as a replacement for my IROK's when they wear out, in like 2015(trailer queen).

OverEasy
07-25-2011, 12:39 PM
Didn't see that specified so I covered all bases. Sounds like you're an Interco fan so you know what you like there. I've been seriously eyeing the Rockers as a replacement for my IROK's when they wear out, in like 2015(trailer queen).

I am a huge fan of the Interco tires. I have ran quite a few with 0 issues. Anyway, I do like the 35" LTB I just fear is just the vehicle weight, It's not heavy and I could always run bead locks but. . . . that just means more $.

I really do like the PB Rockers, they are just sooo dang done expensive. Well, that and I have no experience with a radial tire. The bias PB tires are all way to wide for what i'm wanting to run.

4.3LXJ
07-25-2011, 03:53 PM
If you want to do a poor mans bead lock, get a tube from the Agricultural tire store that is a close fit for the swampers. Even if you do roll one off, it won't go flat. I did that for years at 2-5 psi with no problems, including a bent bead.

OverEasy
07-26-2011, 02:10 PM
If you want to do a poor mans bead lock, get a tube from the Agricultural tire store that is a close fit for the swampers. Even if you do roll one off, it won't go flat. I did that for years at 2-5 psi with no problems, including a bent bead.

Hmm, thanks for the info. This may be a idea to try while saving up for some B-locks. Thanks again!

I've only had one problem so far with a bead. I blew one off the last time I went out. I was playing in a really deep rut and all the weight was on the driver rear tire and it just blew a bead. I had to back out about 30 ft. on a flat. I just knew my tire was shot. Surprisingly it wasn't. We put a ratchet strap around it after I cleaned it out, hooked up the air tank to it and with a few tugs it was back on and I was running again!

Vid of the action. Bead lets loose right before the vid ends. You can see the back just drop when it does. ( I was running maybe 2lbs btw)
Its a vid, just click it.
[IMG]http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/vv311/watjeep/Yorks%20Prop/th_VIDEO0077.jpg[/IMG"]Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket

4.3LXJ
07-26-2011, 04:00 PM
Ok, that does qualify as a rut....

OverEasy
07-26-2011, 05:04 PM
Ok, that does qualify as a rut....

LOL! That things more like a trench. If I stand in it in certain spots, the level ground is even with my head. I'm 6' btw. Its super fun to play in. I almost rolled coming down it. It was the closes't I've come to flopping so far with being able to drive out unassisted.

But as the tires go, I think any tire put through that would have let go... that was pretty extreme for that psi and no locks. :driving:

pikapp504
07-26-2011, 05:06 PM
That tire looked like a freakin' club sammich it was folded over so many times. LOL Definitely a great trip!