PDA

View Full Version : I'm going crazy here. . .

OverEasy
07-09-2011, 04:01 AM
OK, hang in there with me on this one and please help me out. I value ALL input on this and hope i'm not beating a dead horse with it. I just HAVE to ask. :out: I have anxiety issues and i'm starting to obsess about this.

Please read fully before posting 'Sure it'll do it'. Honest, helpful input is needed here. Especially if you've been here and through this.

The run down :
As most of you all know I happen to own a Jeep Cherokee (Go figure, right! ;)), a 01 Cherokee 4x, 4 door to be exact. It has around 150,000 miles on it, Up Country Suspension, Trans Cooler, All Power Options, 3.55s w/ factory rear traction aid, 235/75/15s on the alloy wheels.

As most know by now, I also own a 87 Suzuki Samurai. This is my main wheeler and pretty modified, now wheeling it harder than ever. It's gotten to the point where I don't like to drive it any more than I have to on the road. It just draws the unwanted attention of the Bright Blue Lights. :cop: I haven't had any trouble out of it, but I know it's pretty much time to retire it from being driven, unless I take it out so it's not just sitting.

The situation :
This is my issue, I'm wanting to use the Cherokee to pull the Samurai on a trailer to and from events that are going on. I'd like to find a decent trailer around 8'x 14' long, dovetailed, with brakes on it. I'd like to maybe put some kind of tool box on it for tools and spare parts as well.

Am I crazy for wanting to pull the Samurai on a trailer with my Cherokee? The Samurai is pretty gutted and there are added things on it but all together it probably weighs around 2500 lbs w/out me. I plan on getting a trailer w/ a brake system & w/ tandem axles and the Cherokee upgraded to handle this. I already have the Trans Cooler so that wouldn't be a issue. Will my Cherokee do the job? I know it isn't a race, and I don't drive like a idiot.

Realistically, will I be happy pulling my junk like this? I don't have or need to boost my ego with the biggest, most powerful tow rig in the lot. That's not it AT ALL. It will be used like this for maybe once/ twice a month trips. Definitely not a every weekend thing.

I've never had a seconds issue out of the Cherokee, at all. I know all the maintenance has been kept up, I know the ins and outs of it. Best of all, next month it will be paid for!

My Hangup :
My only thing is, Honestly I miss having a truck. I can't just throw tires, trash, things when moving stuff, tools, parts into the back of my Cherokee w/out letting the seat down, removing the bench part. Even then i'm limited, I don't want to tear it up.

I've been looking at trucks to trade for or buy if I sold the Cherokee, I just can't make my mind up. I love my Cherokee, just really miss the utility of a truck. Whatever I decide to do, it will also serve as my main daily driver. Something I can run out in, go to the beach, grocery store. . . whatever ride.
I also have my other Samurai that it will share duty with so it being a dd, it will share its duties.

The End :
Thanks in advanced if you read through my rambling and could make a heads or tails of it. I hope I didn't put you to sleep here :indifferent0020:, that wasn't my intentions. With that said, help me out here, I need advice.

Thanks again guys (and ladies),

Jeremy

cantab27
07-09-2011, 06:58 AM
the zuki is light , trailer queen it behind ya xj.....does sound like ya what a pick up but..haul it behind ya xj for a bit and see what happens,,,,if ya do sell ya xj yall better still hang out on this site but....love the zuki pics .....

Metlic53
07-09-2011, 07:33 AM
I borrowed a tandem axle trailer with automatic trailer brakes on it with my cherokee from a friends place to my house, (10 miles) It pulled the trailer pretty easy, i could tell it struggled a little bit to keep up with other cars but thats no big deal, the automatic braking feature on it is a must, i have tried other trailers without brakes and the cherokee could handle it but in the case if i needed to stop real fast it wouldn't be able to do it, with automatic brakes on the trailer it stopped as if nothing was behind me. I have a 97 with 3.55 gears and 31'' road tires for street driving. I used this trailer to pull a 87 cherokee back to my house (30mile trip), I used my dads 06 chevy 1500 to pull it, it pulled the trailer with the jeep pretty good being a v8 with a bully dog on it. when i got back to the house i wanted to see how my 97 would do so i hooked it up and went around the block. From what i felt, it wouldn't have been very easy to drive speed wise, i couldn't get it to stay above 45 without having to almost floor it, now the trailer weight may have something to do with it being an all metal tractor trailer. As long as i have a truck i'll use the truck to pull a trailer with a vehicle on (just to be safe), not saying you cant pull your samurai safely with your cherokee cuz you can. Its all personal preference. Your samurai may be easier though being less weight, you could always buy a trailer and if you didn't like how the cherokee handled it you could get a truck, you'd still have the trailer. Just watch out in the rain, i pulled a trailer once and it was raining, dang light turned red and i couldn't stop, rolled through the light and the camera caught my license plate, 75 dollar ticket, lol :D

XJ Rat
07-09-2011, 07:52 AM
I can understand what your feeling.

By the time you have a trailer loaded, gear in the Jeep, people...chances are you will be way above the GVWR of the XJ. Sorry, but the XJ was not designed or meant to pull a heavy trailer. Will the XJ do it...probably, as many of the components found in the XJ drivetrain are also found in Dodge trucks which are rated for the weight.

Beef up the drivetrain, but you still have the unitbody and the wheelbase as limiting factors. I personally do not feel the unitbody will stand up to the constant use as a tow vehicle, personal opinion, remember. But the wheelbase is a limiting factor you cannot get around. The light weight of the Cherokee combined with the short wheelbase, the Jeep will get pushed around by the trailer, and stopping - be it an odd angle, bad weather, or emergency, you will be very likely to swap ends real quick. The wheelbase is one of the major reasons why vehicles like TJs, YJs, XJs have lower towing capacity than comparably equipped longer wheel base trucks.

My deciding factor would be insurance. What happens if you get in a wreck and the insurance company finds out you were way over the GVWR of your vehicle. You could potentially loose everything you have worked for.

If you want to pull a trailer, get a truck. You can get an old Jeep pick up. I saw a 1973 Jeep J2000 a couple years ago. Pretty sweet looking truck. 90% stock and in very good condition. It was used exclusively as a tow vehicle by Jeep pulling equipment to Jeep events.

4.3LXJ
07-09-2011, 09:05 AM
Here is my two cents. I think the mistake you are making here is wanting your pickup to be a daily driver. I bought a cheap, but very reliable pickup to be a pickup. I can daily drive it and have when other rigs were broke down. But most of the time it stays parked until needed. But it does a decent job of towing and hauling stuff to the dump etc. Yesterday I hauled in several thousand pounds of compost for the flower beds with it. Here it is hauling HUM WEE Jr the day we brought it home.

http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu215/warriorsuspension/HUM%20WEE/IMG_0467.jpg

bigjim350
07-09-2011, 10:53 AM
In my opnion the XJ would pull it, but I dont think you would enjoy it. But if its only a couple weekends you should be able to tolerate it.

4x4Dalton
07-09-2011, 10:00 PM
Hey Jeremy. I would get a pick up to haul the Zuki. If yer goin way outta the area from home it would be better. Haulin with the XJ local runs and such would be ok I think. But any runs to say Shoe Creek and beyond I would have a pick up. The ride would be better on you and Zuki in a truck. Plus you could store more parts in the bed :thumbsup: See its a win/win...lol!!

OverEasy
07-10-2011, 02:37 AM
Before I get started on responses, I just want to thank you all who replied and just not brushing this off. I appreciate it!

the zuki is light , trailer queen it behind ya xj.....does sound like ya what a pick up but..haul it behind ya xj for a bit and see what happens,,,,if ya do sell ya xj yall better still hang out on this site but....love the zuki pics .....

I do want a pickup, but love my XJ. There in-lies the problem. I think this is what (more than likely) will happen. I'll prob get a trailer and power brakes and a hitch put on and test it out a few times. Hell, I may keep the XJ.

Have no fear, I like this site a lot. XJ or not, i'll still be a part of it until I no longer feel welcome. Thanks for your compliments Wayne!

I borrowed a tandem axle trailer with automatic trailer brakes on it with my cherokee from a friends place to my house, (10 miles) It pulled the trailer pretty easy, i could tell it struggled a little bit to keep up with other cars . . . . .

That's the thing with me, I don't have to have the biggest, fastest thing out there as long as I feel safe. I will be putting auto brakes on the Jeep if I decide to keep and tow w/ it. Prob upgrade the front rotors to slotted ones as well.

I think the weight thing will be a big factor for me, I can get (I'll wait till I can) a lighter trailer as well. And as Wayne pointed out, I can always see how I like the Cherokee and if not. . . make a decision when I get to that situation.

Ya, I know the feeling. My XJ has a hard enough time stopping in the rain as it is. . . I would HAVE to put auto adjust brakes on to stop it + something in tow. ;)

Here is my two cents. I think the mistake you are making here is wanting your pickup to be a. . . .

You know I always appreciate your .02 cents!

If I decide to go with a pickup, I will have to sell the XJ to do so. I can't have/ afford to have 4 running vehicles. Not to mention parking. If decided to go the pickup route, i'll be selling the XJ and getting something else with the monies collected. Therefore it will have to be able to be the "dependable" one out of my heard. I can't daily my TinTop, the SoftTop is daily-able but isn't really cut to be that. I will need something just as dependable as my Cherokee. My toys are just that, toys. My Cherokee is my ROCK. Never had a problem, has always started, taken me where I wanted to go +. I'll need the same in return if sold.

In my opnion the XJ would pull it, but I dont think you would enjoy it. But if its only a couple weekends you should be able to tolerate it.

That's the thing I'm hung up on. I'm really not looking to enjoy towing with it and I know it will be felt behind the Cherokee. I'm a cautious driver and have towed plenty of things before. (Used to tow stuff for a past job I had, towing is not something new to me but towing with a Cherokee would be.) And honestly, if twice a month. . . that would be a stretch. Most local things I'd just drive to. It's stuff like Harlan, Uwharrie, Rausch Creek. . . that I would really be towing to. Realistically, once every couple months unless a run pops up. Ya know?

Hey Jeremy. I would get a pick up to haul the Zuki. If yer goin way outta the area from home it would be better. Haulin with the XJ local runs and such would be ok I think. But any runs to say Shoe Creek and beyond I would have a pick up. The ride would be better on you and Zuki in a truck. Plus you could store more parts in the bed :thumbsup: See its a win/win...lol!!

ANd this is what i'm also thinking. With a pickup, I flat out have more room, don't have to worry with nice interior, can load anything (within reason). Also, the length of the Cherokee bothers me, i'd also would like a little more weight and length (Not what she said. :ass: ) to tow with. I dunno, I just don't know what to do. I love my Cherokee. . . Buttt. . . I dunno....

bigjim350
07-10-2011, 02:48 AM
Problem solved......get a MJ (comanche) :thumbsup:

OverEasy
07-10-2011, 02:55 AM
I can understand what your feeling.

By the time you have a trailer loaded . . .

Not real sure how your post wasn't included, I thought I multi-ed everybody. . . :p

Ya, the wheelbase + weight is what kinda gets me as well... Honestly, I don't think I would be way over my GVWR. Insurance, i'm not really worried about. I'm covered through a friends firm and have been through for a LONG time, they kinda look after me. ;) Buttt, on the same breath. . . there is always the exception....

If I get a truck, I'm looking for something around the same age, if not newer and same condition as the Cherokee if not better. I won't downgrade to pull something. I'll keep my Clean, Nice, Comfy Cherokee for all that.

OverEasy
07-10-2011, 02:57 AM
Problem solved......get a MJ (comanche) :thumbsup:

Yeah, A even lighter Cherokee! LOL! :hitsfan:

OrangeXJ
07-10-2011, 05:19 AM
Ever think about a tow bar? Don't have to worry about the weight of a trailer. The xj would pull the samie around good.

OverEasy
07-10-2011, 09:32 AM
Ever think about a tow bar? Don't have to worry about the weight of a trailer. The xj would pull the samie around good.

Not at all interested in a tow dolly or tow bar. To many variables to deal with with either.

4.3LXJ
07-10-2011, 10:34 AM
I understand, but we are going to probably flat tow HUM WEE next month. It is not that we don't have the trailer available, but that my son does not have one. So he will tow it behind his YJ. Flat towing is always an option and with something like a Sammy, easily done.

OverEasy
07-10-2011, 12:06 PM
Still, even with flat towing what if I break something and can't flat tow it? What if I damage a tire/ wheel? I don't wanna have to drop a drive shaft, put ,y case in whatever, put the tranny in third blah blah blah. . . Plus, with flat towing i'm still stuck with even less room than just using a trailer to two with.

Not interested in a Dolly or flat towing.