PDA

View Full Version : Steering box question???

kmanxj
06-23-2009, 10:49 AM
I swear i saw somewhere along the line that you can tighten them up? Or was i on drugs that day?

Just curiousl since it seems like mine is a little sloppy.

thanks

kryptonitexj
06-23-2009, 11:07 AM
There is a way. On top of the gear box theres a nut and Allen screw that you can tighten down a LITTLE bit. But this is to take up the slack that grows in the box from wear. Before doing so I would make sure that my entire steering has no play (draglink, tie rods, track bar, etc) before I would mess with the worm drive. I would only tighten it a little bit because the movement gets magnified by the box. good luck and let me know if you need further help.

Audio222
06-23-2009, 11:44 AM
There is a way. On top of the gear box theres a nut and Allen screw that you can tighten down a LITTLE bit. But this is to take up the slack that grows in the box from wear. Before doing so I would make sure that my entire steering has no play (draglink, tie rods, track bar, etc) before I would mess with the worm drive. I would only tighten it a little bit because the movement gets magnified by the box. good luck and let me know if you need further help.

What is a little bit, a quarter turn, half turn, never turn it one revolution? :)

kmanxj
06-23-2009, 11:47 AM

alright well i will wait till i am done with the new heim steering.

kryptonitexj
06-23-2009, 11:58 AM
The allen screw can only travel probley a .5 inch before it bottoms out. The tighter you get the screw the tighter your steering will be almost to the point where its a pain to steer. I would say no more than .75 turn. i have rebuilt plenty of Saginaw gear box's. Even did one as a school project.

BlueXJ
06-23-2009, 09:05 PM
I have done this on manual steering and kept trying at 1/8th of a turn then check then another 1/8th and try again until I had most of the play gone. It is a slow process but it was worth it and saved me a bunch of money.

Audio222
06-23-2009, 10:21 PM
Thanks everyone.