PDA

View Full Version : Computer Trouble

Melissa
06-22-2009, 02:19 AM
I was having trouble with my computer.

So I called Richard, the 11 year old next door,
whose bedroom looks like Mission Control,
and asked him to come over.
Richard clicked a couple of buttons and solved the problem.
As he was walking away, I called after him,
'So, what was wrong?'
He replied,
'It was an ID ten T error.'
I didn't want to appear stupid, but nonetheless inquired,
'An, ID ten T error? What's that? In case I need to fix it again.'
Richard grinned.
'Haven't you ever heard of an ID ten T error before?''
No,' I replied.
'Write it down,' he said,
'and I think you'll figure it out.'
So I wrote down:
I D 1 0 T
I used to like the little sh*t.

muddeprived
06-22-2009, 07:09 AM
I was having trouble with my computer.

So I called Richard, the 11 year old next door,
whose bedroom looks like Mission Control,
and asked him to come over.
Richard clicked a couple of buttons and solved the problem.
As he was walking away, I called after him,
'So, what was wrong?'
He replied,
'It was an ID ten T error.'
I didn't want to appear stupid, but nonetheless inquired,
'An, ID ten T error? What's that? In case I need to fix it again.'
Richard grinned.
'Haven't you ever heard of an ID ten T error before?''
No,' I replied.
'Write it down,' he said,
'and I think you'll figure it out.'
So I wrote down:
I D 1 0 T
I used to like the little sh*t.

That's a classic error code that i learned in college while learning computer tech. :rotfl2:

Mudderoy
06-22-2009, 08:53 AM
I only heard about it recently, and I've been fixing people problems since the mid 80's. It's not the user's fault they don't know how to fix things. I only got really upset when the same person did the same thing over and over again. Basically they were too lazy to write down the solution.

muddeprived
06-22-2009, 09:01 AM
I only heard about it recently, and I've been fixing people problems since the mid 80's. It's not the user's fault they don't know how to fix things. I only got really upset when the same person did the same thing over and over again. Basically they were too lazy to write down the solution.

Yeah i get what you mean. For me, it became a hassle to be known as a computer nerd cuz everyone would be asking for computer help and i'd have no free time. I gave up on computers about 4 years ago. Couldn't stand fixing the same things over and over and over.

Mudderoy
06-22-2009, 09:38 AM
Yeah i get what you mean. For me, it became a hassle to be known as a computer nerd cuz everyone would be asking for computer help and i'd have no free time. I gave up on computers about 4 years ago. Couldn't stand fixing the same things over and over and over.

I think how you are paid (or if) makes the biggest difference. As an employee of a company you just want to be left alone to work on your projects. Users with problems keep you from focusing on your "more important" tasks (really just more interesting).

Now if you are a consultant and get paid between $35 and $100 an hour, and you bill a minimum of 2 hours for a visit and quarter hour for phone/e-mail support. Well please, keep asking that stupid question. ;)

For awhile I was trying to get my consulting business going. Everyone's PC was infected by one or more viruses. Most people's PC was virtually unusable. I figured out a way that I could be "fixing" 3 or 4 PCs at once so I would actually be charging my hourly rate to more than one person for the same time. It was a pretty good plan, but as usual people mess it up.

I found that NO ONE wanted to spend ANY money to have their computer put back in 100% operation. They would rather NOT USE their computer, BUY a new one, or just reload the operating system.

It didn't matter that in all 3 of those scenarios the PC would be re-infected. So instead of spending $120 to $250 with me, and having it fixed from now on (user's habits could still re-infect) they decided to limp along.

I had one guy call me up and say I'll just reload the operating system. I asked him how he was going to keep his PC from being re-infected, he didn't know.

Many people think their computer is protected because of the anti-virus that comes bundled with their PC. They never buy it so they don't get the virus definitions. Without that the anti-virus software is pretty useless. Sure it will protect you from the old viruses, but new ones are being created all the time.

Here's $35 worth of advice for you folks.

Do not trust your PC to one anti-virus package. Get one, install it, set it to run daily, and set it to download updates daily. I recommend setting the updates to run an hour before the anti-virus run. AVG from Grisoft.com is a good FREE anti-virus program that I use.

Get malwarebytes and manually updated it and manually run it occasionally.

Both trendmicro.com and mcafee.com (I think) have ONLINE anti-virus software that you can run for free on your PC.

Finally get Hijackthis and load it on your computer. Hijackthis is software that will create a output file (text) that you can e-mail to someone that can look for things that are loaded in your computer to run at startup. I just look at this file myself, but I think the company that created the software will actually look at it for you. I forget if it is Norton, or who right now.

If you find yourself in a situation where the window that has popped up on your screen doesn't have a cancel button, or even a [X] button in the upper right hand corner just press the keys ALT-F4 (press and hold ALT then press F4 and release). This will close that window.

Windows AntiVirus is a load of crap! It will infect your computer and hold it hostage until you pay your $50. At that point you can UN-INSTALL it! It is a very nasty virus, malware, POS and can be removed but it takes a lot of work. I have read you can get rid of it by using the system restore, reloading the system restore point prior to the infection. This virus disables running many of the anti-virus programs including malwarebytes.

Learn to identify what is a system window and what is a Internet Explorer browser window. Windows AntiVirus makes the IE browser window look like it is a window that Microsoft is popping up on your screen and you MUST install the software to get rid of the "n" number of viruses found on your computer.

DON'T INSTALL IT! ALT-F4, and don't go back to the website you were visiting when it popped up. Run your own anti-virus software, not one that pops up. The Windows Antivirus stuff is lying to you to try to get you to install their crap to infect your computer.

Okay, I got off on a tangent. I usually delete these ramblings, but I'll leave it on the outside chance that it will help someone.

Melissa
06-22-2009, 01:57 PM
Yup, thanks to you Mudderoy, I have Hijack this and malwarebytes, plus I do use mcafee as well, and I have had no more problems.

I have found that sometimes when I hit a site on the web it does come up with windows anti virus software it wants me download, and won't let me close the window I am on until I do downlaod it, so I have to hit Ctrl+Alt+Delete and manually close the window with my task manager, pain in the butt, but I am glad now that I have never downloaded it, thanks for the info!!

Mudderoy
06-22-2009, 02:08 PM
Yup, thanks to you Mudderoy, I have Hijack this and malwarebytes, plus I do use mcafee as well, and I have had no more problems.

I have found that sometimes when I hit a site on the web it does come up with windows anti virus software it wants me download, and won't let me close the window I am on until I do downlaod it, so I have to hit Ctrl+Alt+Delete and manually close the window with my task manager, pain in the butt, but I am glad now that I have never downloaded it, thanks for the info!!

That will work, but ALT-F4 is easier and quicker. :thumbsup:

Voldemort
06-22-2009, 03:26 PM
I just recently started using a "Big named wireless company's" 3g internet for my mobile needs and when I first got it up and running I was having a problem with my laptop not being able to log on. Well long story short I fixed the problem while waiting for a call back from their people and this was after I had taken to them and showed them the error!?!?!:lame: So the head of head of this companies support called me to tell me that they were sorry and still could not figure out the problem,so I told her that I had already taken care of it and how and she thanked me:love0007: and said they had 45,000 people with the same problem and had no idea on how to fix it and it took me all of 3 hours?HUH?:hmmmm2: I said no prob and she said I saved her butt so she would do me a favor back and so I have not gotten a bill yet and that was 6 months ago!:thumbsup:I mean I get a bill but it says it is payed so I thought that was cool.

muddeprived
06-22-2009, 06:52 PM
Here's some advice for those who buy a computer from a company like Dell, Gateway, HP, etc. As soon as you get it, FORMAT IT!. OMFG I am so sick of all the crap they throw on the HD when they install the OS. I went to check out my mom's new HP and it's top of the line but SLOOOOOOW cuz it takes decades to load all the worthless useless programs on it. I was amazed to see FOUR columns of listed programs in the start menu! I formatted that bitch and now it's faster than fast. MY sister's DELL has the same issue and a format is in the works.